Author Topic: No Off-topic post count Request plus Ranking  (Read 5976 times)

IC-1989

• Brothers All Archiver
  • Commander
  • Warning! Commando At Work!
No Off-topic post count Request plus Ranking
« on: February 06, 2009, 05:43:19 AM »
It generally solves a few things:
I've looked at the profiles of the most active members and it generally shows us that we post the most in the off-topic section. So if the post count in off-topic goes to zero... some member will degraded. Okay that doesn't sound good but this forum is called Brothers All, not MSN-messenger. We came here to talk about Clone Commandos not Transformers.

And as some get degraded we can expand the ranks at the same time...
My guess is that newer members have relative more "On-topic"  posts than older members because they came here to discuss CC's and haven't been in all the discussions before. This will make the gap between new and older members smaller.

Darin Daru'Kasem

• I don't have a avatar because I can't find one nerdy enough
  • Commander
Re: No Off-topic post count Request plus Ranking
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 03:14:38 PM »
.....Says the person with 2100 posts JK!  ;)

I agree with you. Totally.

jangotat

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 03:16:43 PM »
yeah, i agree... over half of my posts are in Off-Topic. But i don't think we should be worrying about post counts in here. i like the Off-Topic section. i spend most of my time there. and if the mods and Amy decide to treat it like the RP section, then nothing will change. i'll still spend the same amount of time there as i do now. the ONLY difference it will make is my post count. it will drop 50% (i think more). and that doesn't bother me. i'm not about post counts. i could care less if we had ranks or not... i just like to talk.

so i'm fine with either or. It will not affect my activity in the least.

IC-1989

• Brothers All Archiver
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 03:28:56 PM »
yeah, i agree... over half of my posts are in Off-Topic. But i don't think we should be worrying about post counts in here. i like the Off-Topic section. i spend most of my time there. and if the mods and Amy decide to treat it like the RP section, then nothing will change. i'll still spend the same amount of time there as i do now. the ONLY difference it will make is my post count. it will drop 50% (i think more). and that doesn't bother me. i'm not about post counts. i could care less if we had ranks or not... i just like to talk.

so i'm fine with either or. It will not affect my activity in the least.
I agree with you but I think your post count should stand for your "interest" for clone commando related subjects.

jangotat

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 03:33:09 PM »
Right, yeah i understand that reasoning. but i think that all posts here on cc.net are a contribution to the community.

but this is my opinion... :D

IC-1989

• Brothers All Archiver
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 03:40:36 PM »
Thats right but I would like to see them as a contribution of the CC-Community.

jangotat

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 05:12:32 PM »
Well, let's say that Amy decided to not count the Off-Topic posts. Life goes on, and everything was the same as before. Did anything change? Lets imagine that every member STILL posted as much as they do now on the Off-Topic section. What was accomplished? Was there anything that needed to be accomplished? I don't think so... Because even though you take those points away, nothing would have changed. People are still going to create topics in the Off-Topic section and we will still post there.

Now are we thinking that, if Amy decides to not count the Off-Topic posts it will increase the posts in the other sections of the forum? Possibly. People may be only thinking about their post-count and not what they post. And there may be members that aren't interested in rankings and post in the Off-Topic section anyways...

So, like i said before, i'm not about the rankings. i'm just talking... So whether or not the Off-Topic posts count, i don't think that will be a factor in our posts. Because look at the RP section. those posts don't count and it is the 2nd most popular section in the forum.

Darin Daru'Kasem

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 06:16:58 PM »
  And there may be members that aren't interested in rankings and post in the Off-Topic section anyways...

Like Me.

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 02:04:13 AM »
Whatever happens, I'm cool with it.

CT-1199 Oronk

• The Dude
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 01:12:12 PM »
Id have to agree  :(  :( sigh goodbye all hopes of ranking up lol :P
BUY GUNS A **** LOAD OF GUNS!

"All Mercs know the jambo!" (Chris Tanto)

IC-1989

• Brothers All Archiver
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 09:24:44 AM »
agreed, I'm not intersted in ranking either, but since we have one... It should stand for something and in my opinions it's the interest were this forum is all about.. Clone Commandos / Star Wars related

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 07:42:02 PM »
Could we have a little 'note pad' in our profiles, to type down stuff like RP dates, important forum dates, to do's, stuff like that?

"The only thing that should be opened with the Taliban is a 7.66mm hole courtesty of a Princess Patricia sniper round smack in the center of the fundamentalist's unibrow"
-Ron James

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 09:48:46 PM »
That would be pretty filthy... 8)

Darin Daru'Kasem

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 09:26:53 AM »
Could we have a little 'note pad' in our profiles, to type down stuff like RP dates, important forum dates, to do's, stuff like that?

yes... That would be nice. Like sometimes i want to edit a post and i forgot all about it.

Amy

• Clone Marshall Commander
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 07:41:39 PM »
Just FYI, I have seen and read all this, but I haven't had time to deal with it with my limited internet time. But I will. :)

I'm probably going to put up a poll about the off-topic posting thing, just to get more feedback. And  if I remove those posts from the counts, I'll probably want to reconsider the posting requirements for the ranks, plus I'll have to have it recalculate for everyone (to make it fair) and that takes time.

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 05:17:25 PM »
just to throw my little two-bits in here, i dont think we should stop counting posts in the off-topic section. i understand what you guys are saying, about how this is a Star Wars forum and not a chat room, but seriosly, there aint that much SW to talk about right now. We had something to talk about after O66 came out, and now its been discussed to death. until Imperial Commando comes out, there is hardly anything you can talk about without repeating something already said or discussed.

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 06:19:02 PM »
If anything, the RP should count, seeing as it's remained a SW-loyal section.

"The only thing that should be opened with the Taliban is a 7.66mm hole courtesty of a Princess Patricia sniper round smack in the center of the fundamentalist's unibrow"
-Ron James

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 06:24:55 PM »
amen to that, ner vod.

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

IC-1989

• Brothers All Archiver
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 04:24:32 PM »
Just FYI, I have seen and read all this, but I haven't had time to deal with it with my limited internet time. But I will. :)

I'm probably going to put up a poll about the off-topic posting thing, just to get more feedback. And  if I remove those posts from the counts, I'll probably want to reconsider the posting requirements for the ranks, plus I'll have to have it recalculate for everyone (to make it fair) and that takes time.

Can't you recalculate automatically?

Amy

• Clone Marshall Commander
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 03:51:15 PM »
Ok, today I changed it so that posts in the Off-topic forum don't count towards your total posts. If there are any major issues with this, I can always change it back, but I think this may solve a few problems.

In no way should this discourage people from posting in Off-topic though. :) After all, your post count doesn't give you anything in terms of functionality.