Author Topic: Political/Religious Discussions  (Read 2727 times)

jangotat

Political/Religious Discussions
« on: May 14, 2009, 09:52:36 AM »
"I know none of the people in charge here like me (or many of the members, for that fact), but I'm still making this request: I honestly believe that most people here are not mature enough to handle religious and political topics. Frankly, most people ANYWHERE aren't able to, especially over the internet where they believe they can say anything they want without consideration. I know I'm guilty of the same thing; I charge in headfirst to defend the minority view on almost any subject when I feel it's being ganged up on, and that causes things to escalate. I am NOT trying to claim that I am innocent of that.

That being said, all I see on this forum is people butting heads. People make enemies and make enemies and make enemies because they are allowed to talk about this stuff. Very few posters are willing to concede in a conversation, and that makes for very nasty posts, that are just made even more nasty by allowing this sort of stuff to go on in religious/political threads. This forum is too far away from its point: clones. And I see too many sides being taken, and other sides not being allowed the chance to defend themselves.

So I'm requesting that whoever is in charge to put an end to this. Please consider banning any sort of talk about religious an political topics. I know it's been allowed for a long time, but I feel it's poisoning the forum at this point.

Just consider it. Thank you."

^^^that was a request by mandomemory some weeks ago.

i don't want you to consider it, i want you (Amy) to forever forbidd them.

Amy, just do it. you aren't cutting off freedom of speech because this is just one forum, on one site, on the internet, in a world of over 6.5 billion people. they won't be affected outside of the forum, so there are no problems there.

also, seeing that Mark is gone, i have very little confidence in the remaining two Mods that they will dedicate their time (like Mark did) to the well being of this forum. they weren't in the past and they are ONLY contimplating it now because of the drastic loss of a real Mod.

shut it down, cut the crap of delay and do something. i don't care if you say you have your duty in the Canadian Army, you could still do something.

the recent kitty arguements are a result of no leadership by you; which instills in the other Mods little confidence of themselves...

i have to go to class right now, so i'll think about finishing this post later.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 03:23:57 PM by Michael »

Amy

• Clone Marshall Commander
Re: Political/Religious Discussions
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 11:31:48 AM »
1. No, I can't do anything when I have no kriffing internet except on my phone.
2. This forum is becoming a thorn in my side. If you want me to shut it all down until I'm posted and can "show leadership" again, keep talking. Otherwise, shut the kriff up if you can't be constructive.

If I could access my mod powers right now, I'd be locking this osik up.

jangotat

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 01:44:46 PM »
1. No, I can't do anything

yeah, i know that. and have known that for a while.

it's not just you. it's also the half effort put in by your Mods. that's something i'm not very fond of; "half effort".

2. This forum is becoming a thorn in my side.

well that's a sad thing. it's pretty weird how you can think of something like this as a thorn to your side. maybe it's because of the minimal time spent by you that makes you feel that way.

it may be something of insignificance to you; a nucance (i have a feeling i spelled that wrong), it wasn't to Mark before. he put 77 times the effort in keeping this forum alive than you did. and this is how you consider it??

you should be glad Mark kept up this site for this long. why should he have when there was minimal care shown by you? you created the site! but Mark is supposed to look after it?

no, it isn't supposed to be that way. it's your house. keep it decent for Gods sake..

If you want me to shut it all down until I'm posted and can "show leadership" again, keep talking.

hey, the way this site is going, i could care less what you do. i'm just trying to help the boss and give her some ideas.

and yes! show some leadership! and if that is the only way you feel it is at all possible you can, then do it!! Show some damn leadership!! (i'm not being sarcastic. i really want you to show some learership)

Otherwise, shut the kriff up if you can't be constructive.

actually, i AM being constructive. i'm giving you freakin options.

think about what i said and then think some more. i'm not at all wanting to be rude. i really want this forum to go on like many others here. if you get a little angry about what i said, calm down, go get a drink of water and relax.

then post. ;)

shadowxander

• Major
  • Te racin ka'ra juaan kote.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 03:25:38 PM »
I really don't think there should be a need to ban anything.  People are immature sometimes and sometimes people are immature most of the time.  It happens.  But I don't think anything will come of banning or censoring the talk of the subject.  Now that doesn't mean I advocate all the crap that's been flying around, though I also don't blame Amy or even any of the mods.  I think everyone needs to moderate themselves.  People need to simply grow up and except other people's opinions and beliefs.  If they don't like it, get over it.  Discuss it if it catches your interest.  Debate it if you must, but in a respectful way.  There's no need to piss and moan about it, arguing what's right, wrong, or superior, because it won't change a thing and all you'll do is anger the other people here.
Maybe I'm being a little immaturely naive in thinking this possible, but the fact that we all come to this site means there must be something everyone has in common.  And if that's so, there really should be no reason that everyone can't be civil without enforcing a sort of censorship on what is and isn't allowed to be brought up.
Kandosii sa kyr'am ast
Troan teroch jetiise a'den
Duraan vi at ara'nov
Vode an, ka'rta tor!

shola

• Major
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 03:42:19 PM »
Some of the spittingkittiness is from people pm'ing,repeatedly and intrusively,  and also bickering in a thread. Name calling, insults and basic rude oafishness is not an adult way of responding to differences of opinion, be it rex v commandos, religious views, or politics. shoot lately some here would harrass and argue if some said the sun sets in the west and that the earth circles the sun. In an ideal world that type of 'discussion' wouldnt happen, and in a semi-ideal world the trolls who use such techniques would be starved by lack of attention i.e ignoring and not responding.  In a regular world an ignor user button would prolly cut the crap by a large percentage. Many cannot resist responding if they see it, but if the screen automatically 'ignores' a poster's post---well no blood-pressure rise.

I certainly hope Amy does not shut the site down, I enjoy the fan-fic.  Are there not enough adults on here to moderate our own behavior?

I do not venture out of the fiction ghetto too much anymore, too much shrillness and childishness.   I suggest that when someone is acting out in a childish fashion that others react as an adult would and institute a 'time-out' meaning just dont respond to that poster, or that  thread.  Then as time goes by and the trollish behaviour is self-moderated then start responding to that poster again. who knows, perhaps it may work?
Dremel? Dremel?! Snort. Real Mandalorians do it with their teeth!

jangotat

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 03:43:32 PM »
what you don't understand, xander, is that because of this:

People are immature sometimes and sometimes people are immature most of the time.

the members of this forum can't do this:

I think everyone needs to moderate themselves.

it takes a mature person to moderate themselves, do you agree?

But I don't think anything will come of banning or censoring the talk of the subject.

you're right! nothing will come! Arguements won't come, fighting will not come. by forbidding the subjects, you are wiping completely the chances any problems popping up. It will not be discussed.

If they don't like it, get over it.  Discuss it if it catches your interest.  Debate it if you must, but in a respectful way.  There's no need to piss and moan about it, arguing what's right, wrong, or superior, because it won't change a thing and all you'll do is anger the other people here.

this is all good council, but i could bring up many instances to show you this does NOT happen whenever something controvercial comes up!

it WILL not happen. and because it will not happen, stop it all.

Maybe I'm being a little immaturely naive in thinking this possible, but the fact that we all come to this site means there must be something everyone has in common.

yes, the ONLY thing we have in common is Clone Commandos. that's it... Star Wars.

our religious beliefs are not the same. neither is our political stance.

oh, and Amy. when i said:

shut it down, cut the crap of delay and do something. i don't care if you say you have your duty in the Canadian Army, you could still do something.

i didn't mean shutting down the BAF, i meant shut down all the Political/Religious Discussions (if there was any confusion) ;)

IC-1989

• Brothers All Archiver
  • Commander
  • Warning! Commando At Work!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 03:47:53 PM »
Agreed, you can't expect from some members to act mature.

shadowxander

• Major
  • Te racin ka'ra juaan kote.
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 03:55:15 PM »
You know, Michael, I get it.  I do understand.  And I really don't have an argument for the points you made beside what I already said.  I can't really fault the logic there.  If there's nothing to talk about, there's nothing to fight about.  I just think it removes some of the more interesting topics.  Personally, I'm too thick-skinned to care what people say.  You can cut my beliefs down all day long and call me whatever you deem fit.  (Not you personally, I don't have any issue with you, ner vod.)  At the end of the day I yawn, step back from the computer, and go about my life.  Same thing in real life, too, to be honest.  But I also understand that not everybody's like that.  So, now that I've said my piece, I leave it to Amy and whatever she decides to do.

And to Amy, never had the pleasure of talking to you before, so hi!  And please, don't take down the site.  I think you've done a great job and enjoy every bit of it.
Kandosii sa kyr'am ast
Troan teroch jetiise a'den
Duraan vi at ara'nov
Vode an, ka'rta tor!

jangotat

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 03:59:39 PM »
And please, don't take down the site.

that's what i'm trying to help her NOT do.

Amy

• Clone Marshall Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 04:14:05 PM »
Michael, you are making several very false assumptions. Firstly, the problems of the forum will not be solved by banning discussion of certain subjects. I know this because not all the problem threads have been even remotely political or religious. Secondly, it is very possible to have mature and rewarding political or religious discussions. That entirely depends on the people involved. Yes, maturity seems to be lacking on this forum a lot of the time, but I'm not going to ban the little serious discussions that people can have here. Because that leaves only the inane chat-like stuff, which is ok in moderation but is hardly the kind of atmosphere I was hoping for when I made this place.

If you don't want to discuss politics or religion, don't read those threads. If you're only here to talk about the clones, stay in the Star Wars forums. If you can't deal with any of this, for goodness sake stop visiting the forums. If you can't control your own browsing behaviour, there's nothing I can do to help you.

I do not want to make blanket rules about what can and can't be discussed. Only about HOW it is discussed. And we have mods to deal with that. If people are being nasty or insulting, report it.

By the way, Michael, you are NOT being constructive in the slightest. Personal attacks on me and what I have or have not been doing are a wonderfully stupid thing to do and you're lucky I'm in a relatively good mood or you might have been banned right now. In order to be constructive, you'd need to tell me what I can do differently. And I'd LOVE to know what that is (other than: quit the military and/or get internet). On one hand you whine that the admins and mods aren't around here enough, but on the other you want more rules. Rules require enforcing, you know. If the mods aren't doing their job, new rules mean osik. And while I have no real internet, getting new mods whom I can trust is not an easy task. But one I am going to do.

And you know what? 100% of the forum's problems would be solved if I shut this place down for a few months, till I get a relatively normal internet life back again (August or September) and can be around to supervise more. However, I think you'd agree I'd be overreacting if I were to do that. That's exactly what I think I'd be doing if I banned all political/religious discussion. Overreacting. I might as well ban any subject that people could possibly disagree about.

In summary, thanks for the suggestion. The answer is no. And you might want to work on something called tact. Thread locked.