Author Topic: Names in Mando'a  (Read 477957 times)

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
  • Nulla e reale, tutto e lecito
Re: Names in Mando'a
« Reply #540 on: April 15, 2011, 02:33:37 AM »
Did I ever can a translation for my name?

Mia equals...what, in Mando'a?
"To say nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

Laney97

« Reply #541 on: April 15, 2011, 06:20:27 AM »
i know Mia means something like MINE. It has Italian origins. In mando'a... not so sure.

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #542 on: April 15, 2011, 02:26:07 PM »

To figure out what it means in Mando'a, I need to know what it means in the language it comes from. I presume you want the Italian, right?  In Italian, Mia means 'Mine'. (or you could go with the Danish version and have it mean 'bitter' :P )

The closest I could find to 'mine' was Ganar, or 'to have'.

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

Laney97

« Reply #543 on: April 15, 2011, 03:15:21 PM »
To figure out what it means in Mando'a, I need to know what it means in the language it comes from. I presume you want the Italian, right?  In Italian, Mia means 'Mine'. (or you could go with the Danish version and have it mean 'bitter' :P )

The closest I could find to 'mine' was Ganar, or 'to have'.

I got what it means in Italian right, then... SO I'M HALF RIGHT AND a half NOT RIGHT

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #544 on: April 15, 2011, 06:03:21 PM »

Oh and also Mia, if you add on your last name (which I won't post here :P ), it is 'My Beautiful Rose' in Italian.  

Ganar Mesh'la is 'To have beauty', or 'my beautiful'. I can't find a word for rose or flower, so if anyone has the official Mando'a dictionary, help would be appreciated.

EDIT:  I downloaded the Mando'a dictionary, and found the word for 'vegitation' without even looking. I'll look harder for 'flower' specifically, if you want, but 'vegitation' is vorpan'oy

Put 'em all together, and it might come out something like Ganar'Mesh vorpan'oy. I'm still VERY fuzzy on the Mando'a grammar details, so the exact order and pronuncation is up for change according to personal taste :P

I got what it means in Italian right, then... SO I'M HALF RIGHT AND a half NOT RIGHT

Here, have a cookie.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:12:51 PM by N-11 Commander Ordo »

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
« Reply #545 on: April 15, 2011, 09:55:53 PM »
Oh and also Mia, if you add on your last name (which I won't post here :P ), it is 'My Beautiful Rose' in Italian.
I knew that, actually.  What's kinda funny is that I found that out when I met my now boyfriend for the first time.  I tell him my name and he's like "Uh-huh, suuuuure...  So what is it really?"  lolz
Apparently my mom had a sense of humor. :P

Ganar Mesh'la is 'To have beauty', or 'my beautiful'. I can't find a word for rose or flower, so if anyone has the official Mando'a dictionary, help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I downloaded the Mando'a dictionary, and found the word for 'vegitation' without even looking. I'll look harder for 'flower' specifically, if you want, but 'vegitation' is vorpan'oy

Put 'em all together, and it might come out something like Ganar'Mesh vorpan'oy. I'm still VERY fuzzy on the Mando'a grammar details, so the exact order and pronuncation is up for change according to personal taste :P
Hmm, interesting... *thoughtful chin-scratch*
"To say nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

Ky'ram Parjai'Kote

• Disgruntled MMORPG
  • Commander
  • Hates Bioware officially.
« Reply #546 on: April 16, 2011, 08:20:38 AM »
I'd like to throw something out there...

This was developed by one or two people on the Mercs. Basically, it's the Mando'a dictionary formatted for a bidirectional translation processor. Also, you can type stuff in, and it shows it in the Mando'a font.

So, yeah, just wanted to throw this out there...
Lists of games I play:
-- Star Trek Online
-- KOTOR (1 and 2)
-- SWTOR
-- Terraria
-- TF2
-- Magicka
-- Left 4 Dead 2
-- Garry's Mod
And nearly any other F2P game on this planet.

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #547 on: April 16, 2011, 02:08:49 PM »
That's actually quiet helpful, thankyou. Even though it threw off my entire translation for Mia :P  i haz failed.

Find an excuse to win.

Laney97

« Reply #548 on: April 16, 2011, 02:16:17 PM »
That's actually quiet helpful, thankyou. Even though it threw off my entire translation for Mia :P  i haz failed.

You can always take the cookie back...

Shereshoy

• Major
  • Bang. Bang. Bangbangbangbang!
« Reply #549 on: April 20, 2011, 08:09:20 PM »
Sarad. Flower is Sarad.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:12:14 PM by Shereshoy »
“God's promises are like the stars; the darker the night the brighter they shine”
-David Nicholas

You are two parts personality and one part confusion.- Eparavu

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
« Reply #550 on: April 20, 2011, 09:35:54 PM »
So... Gana Mesh'erad?

Phi

• Captain
  • K'atini!
« Reply #551 on: April 20, 2011, 10:16:46 PM »
There's not a word for innocent, is there?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 08:55:42 AM by Phi »

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
« Reply #552 on: April 21, 2011, 12:12:41 AM »
There's not a word for innocent, is there?
Not that I know of.  If you wanted to kinda play with stuff, "civilian" might fill in, all things considered.  That's "neverd".  But there's no direct translation, and not one for "guilty" either, which you could just through a "dar" or "ne" in front of...

Phi

• Captain
  • K'atini!
« Reply #553 on: April 21, 2011, 10:18:47 AM »
Hmmm, well, thanks Mia.  I might try Neverd then.

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
« Reply #554 on: April 28, 2011, 03:30:42 AM »
Hmmm, well, thanks Mia.  I might try Neverd then.
You're welcome.  Not a huge help, I know...but it's something.

Lil Vod

• Sergeant
« Reply #555 on: January 03, 2012, 10:42:51 PM »
Mine obviously means "Little Brother".  :)

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
« Reply #556 on: January 04, 2012, 12:08:58 AM »
Mine obviously means "Little Brother".  :)
For serious??  Dude, I never would've figured that out.  You're just too clever for me. :P

Most of us were trying to translate our real names.

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #557 on: January 04, 2012, 12:34:45 PM »
For serious??  Dude, I never would've figured that out.  You're just too clever for me. :P

Most of us were trying to translate our real names.

Maybe he doesn't feel comfortable giving out his real name? ;)

I don't. :|

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.

Delta 42

• Captain
« Reply #558 on: January 04, 2012, 04:32:50 PM »
Accordng to his profile his name is Zac.

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #559 on: January 04, 2012, 05:34:30 PM »
Accordng to his profile his name is Zac.

Well, then maybe he just misunderstood the thread...or blatantly ignored the point. :ouch:

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.