Author Topic: ~In the Service of the King~ The Napoleonic Wars as told by the 136th  (Read 23082 times)

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
Right, I figured I should give this a whack..

~Character Sheet~

Name:
Physical Description:
Biography:
Decorations:

Name: Charles 'Mad Charlie' Goddington
Weapons: A pair of pistols, 1796 Pattern Infantry Sabre, Folding knife, Sword Cane (carried on formal occasions)
Physical Description:http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:5slMKGbfZmyrUM:http://www.compleatseanbean.com/mainsharpepic.jpg
Biography: Born to a wealthy family in Sussex, Charles's wealth and status kept him out of military service. Marrying a woman of good standing for money, Charles's life was, outwardly, one to die for. However, his wife Laura was anything but kindly, and Charles spent more and more time away from his holdings. However, one night he returned from a trip nearly a week early, and found that his wife had remained unfaithful. In a blind fit of rage, he challenged his wife's lover to a duel, with sabres as the weapon of choice. Though he won, the duel was to first blood. In a burst of anger, Charles ignored the rule, and cut down his rival with a sabre blow, killing him. Deemed dishonourable and forfiet,  Laura and her lover's family reduced Charles to financial ruin, taking nearly everything he owned.

Making his way west, Charles eventually took up his father's commission as Captain in the 136th Regiment of Foot, just as war in Portugal broke out.

Decorations: None

~the 136th Regiment of Foot~

Raised in Cumberland, the 136th, or 'Greensides' as they are nicknamed due to thier facings, has seen little service, and is being deployed for the first time. Commanded by Colonel James Pierce, the 136th is a Regiment commanded by the wealthy, and manned by the drunk, dishonourable, and poor of Cumberland. Despite this, the men of the Greensides are some of the best fighters in the Army.

*Weapons MUST be appropriate. A Redcoat would not carry a shotgun, a cutlass, etc.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 06:09:21 PM by Noldorin Mando »

"The only thing that should be opened with the Taliban is a 7.66mm hole courtesty of a Princess Patricia sniper round smack in the center of the fundamentalist's unibrow"
-Ron James

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
Name: Demitry "Dem" Valdiner
Weapons: A Musket, pistol, and a serrated knife a foot in length.
Physical Description: He has Brown hair, blonde eyes, a pale complexion, and close cropped hair. He has a bit of the tip of his nose missing, from a close call with a sword.
Biography: His father was a Polish soldier, and his mother a Inn owner. His father retired from the Polish millitary and moved to England, where he had spent most of his time, gaurding Polish royals on trade and alliance missions. He grew up with a medium ammount of money, and no lack of wits. He is fluent in six languages, has a very high education, and know things better than most of his Royal superiors.
Decorations: None.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 08:30:59 PM by Drake Vhett »

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
Looks good, but I'd give him a Musket. The only soldiers to use Rifles were the 95th Rifles, active from 1800-1958. As such, British Regulars(that's us) would use only the Brown Bess, even the Light Companies.

"The only thing that should be opened with the Taliban is a 7.66mm hole courtesty of a Princess Patricia sniper round smack in the center of the fundamentalist's unibrow"
-Ron James

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
Ok, I wasn't sure of what to put.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
Name: Nathan "Grips" Gripton
Weapons*: Musket, bayonet, two pistols, a holdout knife in his boot, and a dagger on his belt.
Physical Description: Tall, muscular, with regular length blonde hair and blue eyes. A short scar down the middle of his left eye.
Biography: Born to a middle class family out in the country, Nathan spent nearly his entire life outdoors. A fiery and explosive young man, he was always the one getting into fights and having crazy adventures. He has a scar on his eye from a fight he got into over a woman, and his opponent had a knife. Looking for a good way to source his energy and fire, once he was of age, he joined the army.
Decorations: None.

that alright?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 03:20:10 PM by N-11 Commander Ordo »

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
No crossbow, but the rest looks very good.

OK, one slight thing: Should we be a Grenadier Company, a Light Company, or a Line Company?

-Ron James

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
ok, thanks.

I dont know. Probably a Grenadier Company.

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
Light Company.

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
Well, Grenadier Companies were 1 per Regiment, and were used as assault troops, by the 19th century, primarily consisting of large, stong veterans.

Light Companies, while also composing of veterans, fought out of the Line, usually in Skirmish, and were lighter, faster men who displayed initiative in combat. Usually, there was 1-2 per Regiment, depending on the number of Battalions.

-Ron James

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
Ok, I change my vote to Grenadier. Light Company's sound so..... light.

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
Re: ~In the Service of the King~ The Napoleonic Wars as told by the 136th
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 09:23:09 PM »
Lol. Well, at least we have an agreement, now....

~HMS Homildon, off the coast of Portugal, 1808~

Captain Charles Goddington stood on the port side of the ship, leaning against the rails of the vessel and letting the wind buffet his face. He had beenwith the 136th only three weeks, and already he was staring out to a land of war. He hadn't met the Officers yet, only Major Johnston, his superior. But already, Charles felt veunerable. He had never fought in anything more severe than a duel, and that had nearly cost him his life. With no military experience, and only the drill book for tactics advisement, Captain Goddington felt as though he was lost in a sea all his own.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:31:25 PM by Noldorin Mando »

-Ron James

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 09:38:02 PM »
Leutenat Valdiner walked up behind the captin. He fingered a new scar on his collarbone. It had been caused by a blade running across it. The bastard who had tried to run him threw had Valdiner's knife in his neck at the next moment. He was a hardened vetran who had survived more battles than any in the 136th. He saw the look on the captin's face and decided to snap the man back into reality.

"Sir!"Valdiner said his voice pitch and volume giving the same impression as a boulder being demolished. Nobodey quite knew why that image came to mind, it just did. 'Dem' wasn't just a shrotened version of Demitry. He held his hand up at a salute.

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 09:43:22 PM »
Goddington blinked sharply and jerked upright as a voice, noticeably accented, he observed, snapped him out of his thoughts. Turning, he saw the man bore a Lieutenant's inisgnia, a pale visage, and a musket, suprisingly for an officer. "Lieutenant." He said shortly, extending his hand to the man. "Captain Charles Goddington, formerly of Sussex." He said, sizing up his new counterpart. He bore a passing resemblance to William Munroe, though that man Charles had last seen bleeding to death in a wood with Goddington's sabre in his chest.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:47:56 PM by Noldorin Mando »

-Ron James

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 10:02:27 PM »
"Leutenant Demitry Valdiner." He said sharply. He Studied the Captin before him.He had his first kill to recently for my tastes Dem thought. He was used to wroking with Vertans, hardened me such as himself. Men who had seen death, tasted it, and breathed it, taking it in as a Blue Blood like Goddington would take in the scent of fine wine. That reminded Dem of a saying his father had,

'For warriors like us, our wine is the blood of our enamies, our cigars the smoke of a recently fired weapon, and our finery is our trusty knife.'. The always made Dem smile. He remembered that he should see his father after the war, if the both of them were still alive. Dem's father hadn't said anything, he was too proud to do so, but Delaniter Valdiner was in declining health.

"Captin, I would like to welcome you to the 136th Regiment of the Foot." Dem said. "I will be your second in command." Dem said.

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 07:43:14 PM »
Charles smiled and nodded. "My thanks, Lieutenant. Forgive me, but I must ask, you are not British. So how did you come to wear our colours?" He asked, gesturing to Valdiner's red coat.

-Ron James

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 08:26:14 PM »
"I'm as British as anyone born on her soil. Just not as British as those with a British sire. My father was a Polish soldier gaurding various Polish dignitaries. He retired in Britan after he met my mother, who was an Inn owner at the time." Dem said.

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 06:51:14 PM »
Nathan Gripton, newly arrived at the 136th Grenadier Company, walked onto the deck of the HMS Homildon. He had been in the British Army for seven years, and already a War was on and he was shipping out to combat. He didn't doubt his abilities, or how he would respond under fire, he doubted that this new Company would survive. It was mostly made up of newly-joined boys, or men like him that had no combat expierience.

"Well here goes."

The man said to himself as he saw the Captain standing with a fellow Lieutenant. Nathan walked up to them and saluted sharply.

"Lieutenant Nathan Gripton reporting for duty, Sir!"
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 10:27:51 PM by N-11 Commander Ordo »

Find an excuse to win.

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 07:16:11 PM »
Charles had been about to reply to Valdiner, then Lieutenant Gripton had reported. "Captain Charles Goddington, Lieutenant. Formerly of Sussex. Yourself? Or are you a native of Cumberland?" Charles very much doubted the latter, for the newcomer had no border accent, and was too well groomed to be a Scot. A more southern Englishman, likely.

((Grenadier company, Ord'ika.))

-Ron James

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 10:29:11 PM »
OOC: woops, lol, edited. :P   ok, i have no idea where i should be from. ideas?

Find an excuse to win.

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 11:38:43 PM »
((Northamptonshire?, Lancashire? Westmorland?))

-Ron James