Author Topic: ~In the Service of the King~ The Napoleonic Wars as told by the 136th  (Read 23602 times)

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
Re: ~In the Service of the King~ The Napoleonic Wars as told by the 136th
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2009, 04:07:58 PM »
((Napoleionic War Slang 101:

French Infantry: Frogs, Toads, Crapauds, Crapeaux

French Cavalry(Cuirassiers): Gros Talons(High heels)

British Riflemen: Greenjackets, Grasshoppers(Sauterelle, in French. Grasshoppers is a French nickname)

British Regulars: Redcoats, Les Goddams (the favourite British cuss was Goddamn at the time), Foot wobblers

Highland soldiers: Redshank, Ladies from Hell

Grenadiers: Bacon Bolters(yes, that's us)

"The only thing that should be opened with the Taliban is a 7.66mm hole courtesty of a Princess Patricia sniper round smack in the center of the fundamentalist's unibrow"
-Ron James

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2009, 05:14:48 PM »
OOC: ah, thankyou.  very helpful. editing.

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2009, 05:26:49 PM »
OOC: Tell me if this is good.

Dem simply nodded. He walked over to a spot where everyman could see him.

"ATTENTION!" He roared at them. Almost all of them got up and salugted imediatly. A few got up slowly. Dem made a mental note of who they were.

"At ease." He said salugting back.

"I am Leuitenant Demitry Valdeneir. I will be your second-in-command and weaponsmaster. I will be the one making sure you follow orders and have a weapon in your hands. We will be commanded By Captin Goddington, who will in turn report to Commander Peirce. Any question?" He asked grufly.

((A wee note, most soldiers were conscripts given the choice of the gallows or the Army, or jail. Not nice people, or disciplined. Oh, and Major Johnston, not Colonel Pierce. He's one level up))

Goddington stood with his hands clasped behind his back. "Men on the one-thirty-sixth-," he barked, "Once we reach Portugal you will follow my orders, I care not if you like them, I still have a lash to instill them. When General Wellington orders an advance, we shall advance, if he orders battle, then we shall spread French corpses across the field. And we shall show no mercy to troops to have the arrogance to fight agianst Britian an the might of King George, may God bless his soul. We fight, for this is the path that has been thust upon you. If you want out, Lieutenant Valdiner can arrange a firing squad." He finished bluntly.

"The only thing that should be opened with the Taliban is a 7.66mm hole courtesty of a Princess Patricia sniper round smack in the center of the fundamentalist's unibrow"
-Ron James

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2009, 08:36:37 PM »
OOC: I edited.

As if to put emphasis on the Captain's words, Dem chose that moment to check his pistol. He took it out with an exagerated motion. He didn't put it back, he just put it on a nearby rail. His look seemed to dare anyone to try and take it.

"Now, if you sorry lot think you will keep up such disrespect to your superior officers, then you are sadly mistaken. If you're going to be the one behind me when the rounds start flying then you'll shape up." Again, he took up his pistol exageratedly, conveying the silent threat.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2009, 03:52:31 PM »
Nathan also unslung his musket, and checked the barrel. There was a round ready. He pulled back the cocking mechanism, to add to the message.

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2009, 03:54:59 PM »
OOC:Muskets don't have cocking mechanisms. And they shoot lead balls.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2009, 09:29:16 PM »
((actually, they do. The doghead/**** of the lock itself.....flintlock, to be percise...))

"If there is a Sergeant present, I want him forward now." Goddington said stiffly, watching the eyes of his men.

A man wearing three white chevrons stepped forward. "Master Sergeant Donald Grant, Sir. Formerly of Glenmoriston, and have served in His Majesty's forces for three years."

Goddington hissed. A member of the Glenmoriston Grants. That clan had fought for the Stuart usurper in the '45. He made a note to keep an eye on the Sergeant. "Very good, Sergeant Grant. Should the men attempt insubordination, foul play, or desertion, report it to Lieutenant Valdiner. He shall arrange a court martial. And any talk of treason, past, present or future, will not be tolerated in my company." He snarled, then turned on his heel and left.

((Yes, he's building grudges. The Scots have been stipped of national identity, and Charles hates them. He's a Protestant as well, so he dislikes Catholics. That means he hates Jacobites.))

-Ron James

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2009, 12:37:50 AM »
((actually, they do. The doghead/**** of the lock itself.....flintlock, to be percise...))

OOC: thats the word i was looking for! flintlock.  i couldnt think of it, so i just put cocking mechanism, lol :P

Find an excuse to win.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2009, 04:41:56 PM »
Valdiner chuckled a deep throughty chuckle. It seemedto scare the men, wondering what could make the Leutenant laugh. He didn't even smile as he laughed.

"Wait untill we're in the field. There won't be any courtmartials. Just shots."He said as he turned and walked after the captin.

OOC:The Brits did have field executions correct?

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
OOC: i would think so.

"Nice touch. The laugh nearly made them crap their pants."

Nathan chuckled.

Find an excuse to win.

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2009, 12:33:04 PM »
((Not as far as I know. Hasty and biased though court martials were, they were always held for the 50-some men Wellington had hanged or shot during the Peninsular War.))

Charles frowned. Valdiner seemed to want to make a bad impression. "Major Johnston will want a word. Lieutenant Valdiner, Lieutenant Gripton, with me. The Major will likely need a report on the situation. I expect he will be in the captain's quarters with Colonel Pierce." He said, stepping out the door, only to get soaked to the bone by a large wave. Swearing loudly, he pulled off his bearskin, shook it by its chinstrap, and swore again, his hessian boots squelching with every step.

By the time they reported to Major Johnston, Goddington was a positively furious grenadier. Major Johnston and several other officers were clustered around a table, arguing over a map. Charles snapped to attention, his wet wool coat hanging from his frame like a cloak of lank doghair. "Captain Goddington, reporting for duty and orders,Sirs." He said, snapping to attention and saluting.

Majo Jonston was the only one who turned. He was an old man, in his early seventies, and nearing retirement age, despite his relatively low rank, a product of an impoverished family. He bore all the scars of a veteran, in particular a long and very deep one along his jaw, from a Scottish claymore at Culloden, where he had been a drummer boy in the 8th Regiment of Foot.That wound should have killed him, but he had survived, and his father had carried him home to become a soldier once more. He still hated the Scots, and that showed in his very eyes as he turned to survey Goddington. The Major saluted Charles, and nodded approvingly. "I see you have met our Lieutenants, Mister Goddington. Are the men to your satisfaction?"

"I believe that, faced with an enemy that would murder them, they shall do thier duty, if only to survive. I hav not seen them in combat, so I fear that I cannot judge them just yet."

"A wise decision, Captain, and you, Mister Valdiner, Mister Gripton?" He asked, leaning on the table for support.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:20:14 PM by Noldorin Mando »

-Ron James

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2009, 04:31:03 PM »
Valdiner shrugged. He supressed a laugh as the wave hit the ship. He was still in the cabin by the time the wve had passed. He walked out to follow the captin.

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2009, 05:01:51 PM »
Nathan creased his brows in thought for a moment.

"Well sir, I agree with the Captain, but I would like to add that most of the men here are boys just out of training. Their bodies are not well developed. I believe it would be wise to build more muscle on them, so that when marching, they do not break down from the strain and stress."
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:11:34 PM by N-11 Commander Ordo »

Find an excuse to win.

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2009, 05:06:42 PM »
((Remember typical combat of the day meant just standing in a line and firing on orders until the CO said stop. Not a whole lot of stregnth needed for that.))

-Ron James

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2009, 05:13:24 PM »
OOC: thats true. should i edit?

Find an excuse to win.

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2009, 05:17:06 PM »
((Yeah, switch 'combat' to 'march', plust the appropriate grammar mumbo-jumbo. Thanks!))

-Ron James

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2009, 07:11:56 PM »
OOC: ur welcome :)

Find an excuse to win.

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2009, 07:20:39 PM »
Major Johnston's face was an unreadable blank. "They shall learn thier endurance on the march. There is no living alternative, Lieutenant. They shall learn." He repeated icily.

-Ron James

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2009, 07:52:12 PM »
"Yes, sir."

Nathan replied.

Find an excuse to win.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2009, 03:22:23 PM »
"We had better hope that they don't break ranks and run as soon as a few of them die." Valdiner said grimly.