Author Topic: What does being Mandalorian mean to you?  (Read 22420 times)

Laam'inui

• Major
  • Aliit ori'shya tal'din
What does being Mandalorian mean to you?
« on: September 06, 2009, 07:33:02 PM »
This is a question that Commando and Mandalorian fans have debated quite a bit over various boards, including the folks over at Ka'ra, but I felt like it deserved attention here.  If you were a Mandalorian in real life, what values would you follow and how would you live?  Think practically and realistically here.  How would you treat others, from your family to your strangers or enemies?  What are your religious beliefs/how would they fit in with your life as a Mando'ad?  Do you think actually fighting physically is necessary (i.e. joining your local armed forces), or are other types of fighting acceptable for Mandalorians?  Can you be a Mandalorian by fighting with your brain as a scholar or in some other profession?  What do the Resol'nare mean to you?  What does "wearing armor" entail in real life?

Just a few of the issues that this question deals with.  Maybe through the discussion a few of you may even become interested in joining a few of us who are attempting to live like Mandalorians over at Clan Ka'ra's forums.  I linked to it earlier, but here's an explicit link.  I'm not sure if advertising is frowned on - if so I'll take the link down quickly.  I mean in no way to take away from clonecommando.net's traffic, however; it is one of my favorite websites and goes a long way back in my life, and if anything I'd like to INCREASE it's activity. (Along with our own, of course. :P)

I'll sit back and see what kind of discussion this generates, if any.  I'll post my own views and opinions to some of the broader questions sometime soon.

Quote from: Boba Fett
"You can't rule Mandalorians. You just make sensible suggestions they want to follow. And since when have Mandalorians needed to be told what makes sense?"

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
Re: What does being Mandalorian mean to you?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 10:27:59 PM »
well, the beauty of it is I'm already fulfilling all the applicable tenents for being Mandalorian. I just treat people with the respect that they deserve. There is no actual fighting requirement, you just need to have absolutely no compunctions about defending yourself and your family/friends/home/land/people in need. The Resol'nare are easy to live by if you dont give an osik about what other people think. The only bit that's hard is wearing armor. It is specifically Mandalorina armor being referenced, and to be fully Mandalorian you must have a set and wear it at least part of the time, it's an essential part of our cultural identity. I think it's okay for you to put the link up, too, but I'm not a mod...
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

Kalira

• OMNOMNOMNOM.
  • Commander
  • ~ Oya Ka'ra ~
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 12:01:21 AM »
This is a question that Commando and Mandalorian fans have debated quite a bit over various boards, including the folks over at Ka'ra, but I felt like it deserved attention here.  If you were a Mandalorian in real life, what values would you follow and how would you live?  Think practically and realistically here.  How would you treat others, from your family to your strangers or enemies?  What are your religious beliefs/how would they fit in with your life as a Mando'ad?  Do you think actually fighting physically is necessary (i.e. joining your local armed forces), or are other types of fighting acceptable for Mandalorians?  Can you be a Mandalorian by fighting with your brain as a scholar or in some other profession?  What do the Resol'nare mean to you?  What does "wearing armor" entail in real life?

Just a few of the issues that this question deals with.  Maybe through the discussion a few of you may even become interested in joining a few of us who are attempting to live like Mandalorians over at Clan Ka'ra's forums.  I linked to it earlier, but here's an explicit link.  I'm not sure if advertising is frowned on - if so I'll take the link down quickly.  I mean in no way to take away from clonecommando.net's traffic, however; it is one of my favorite websites and goes a long way back in my life, and if anything I'd like to INCREASE it's activity. (Along with our own, of course. :P)

I'll sit back and see what kind of discussion this generates, if any.  I'll post my own views and opinions to some of the broader questions sometime soon.

Laam'ika, you're a freaking genius, it never occurred to me to ask CC.Net (OMG I HAVE AN ACCOUNT HERE STILL I FEEL SO NOSTALGIC I HAVEN'T BEEN HERE IN YEARS).

Also, way to make me feel old and grey by feeling the need to tell CC.Net about Ka'ra. That's like telling Van Gogh about Starry Night, isn't it?

Anyway give me a minute to summarize what I've said on the aliit forums and maybe it'll help move the conversation forwards.

Oya Ka'ra
Signature by Laam'inui :heart:
ohaithar, mando'adiike.

Laam'inui

• Major
  • Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 12:53:37 AM »
Well, it's been ages since CC.net has been graced with Ka'ra talk. :P  I haven't seen any of the old faces here in a while.  Also, even if some of the old faces were here, they had no link to the new forums.

Edit: Also, I'll let a few more people respond with their views before I post my own views/rebuttals.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 12:57:02 AM by Laam'inui »

"You can't rule Mandalorians. You just make sensible suggestions they want to follow. And since when have Mandalorians needed to be told what makes sense?"

A-77 Commander Fordo'Ad

• Commander
  • "Captain Fordo Reporting"
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 02:52:12 AM »
Whoa welcome back lol, where's Kire :P?
Anyways, I think it means what you'd think it means, following the Resol'Nare.

I'd be loving and protective to my family and watchful and deffencive against any enemies.

I think a fight can be physical or simply an argument. Anyway that you can defend your family and it's honor is important.

igamesonline.net

IC-1989

• Brothers All Archiver
  • Commander
  • Warning! Commando At Work!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 03:19:40 AM »
Laam'ika, you're a freaking genius, it never occurred to me to ask CC.Net (OMG I HAVE AN ACCOUNT HERE STILL I FEEL SO NOSTALGIC I HAVEN'T BEEN HERE IN YEARS).

Also, way to make me feel old and grey by feeling the need to tell CC.Net about Ka'ra. That's like telling Van Gogh about Starry Night, isn't it?

Anyway give me a minute to summarize what I've said on the aliit forums and maybe it'll help move the conversation forwards.

Wow Kalira is that you :P? Long time no see! (It's RC-1989 btw)

Kalira

• OMNOMNOMNOM.
  • Commander
  • ~ Oya Ka'ra ~
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 03:52:25 AM »
Whoa welcome back lol, where's Kire :P?

Who mentio--HEY ARE YOU STALKING MY PROFILE I JUST UPDATED THAT YOU...uh....stalker.

I think a fight can be physical or simply an argument.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Wow Kalira is that you tongue? Long time no see!

Who the hell are--

(It's RC-1989 btw)

OMG I ACTUALLY KNOW YOU.  :shock:

Oya Ka'ra
ohaithar, mando'adiike.

IC-1989

• Brothers All Archiver
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 04:16:23 AM »
OMG I ACTUALLY KNOW YOU.  :shock:

LOL, why isn't this topic called Brothers All Vets reunion?

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 07:19:28 PM »
rofl... wow
It's Indiana Vlet!

Laam'inui

• Major
  • Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 07:33:15 PM »
Being loving and kind to your family is something most people do - the thing is, do you do it like a Mandalorian?  Do any of you really believe that family is more than bloodlines, and can you, like Kal Skirata, unconditionally love those who are your family, to the point where you would readily give your life for them?  Would you adopt sons or daughters and extend that love to them?

I'm just trying to get you guys thinking.  As I said, once more people post their opinions I'll write my own post.

Also, what about religion?  Do you think that plays a role in being Mandalorian?  Does it matter at all?  Does it play a factor in WHO you'd consider your brothers or sisters?

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 07:47:11 PM »
yes, I do
It's Indiana Vlet!

Laam'inui

• Major
  • Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 07:48:33 PM »
...you win the "Vague Answer '09" award of the year.

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 07:54:45 PM »
lol oops. Religion has no bearing one way or another unless they have a specific bias against mandalore. I was referancing your first question
It's Indiana Vlet!

IC-1989

• Brothers All Archiver
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 08:57:11 AM »
I think that the beautiful thing of being a Mandalorian is that the rules are simple but very important at the same time.
It's not all voilence, it's about protecting the things, people and habits you love.

(sorry about my crappy English)

Kalira

• OMNOMNOMNOM.
  • Commander
  • ~ Oya Ka'ra ~
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 07:41:11 AM »
Being loving and kind to your family is something most people do - the thing is, do you do it like a Mandalorian?  Do any of you really believe that family is more than bloodlines, and can you, like Kal Skirata, unconditionally love those who are your family, to the point where you would readily give your life for them?  Would you adopt sons or daughters and extend that love to them?

Way to pick the one aspect I've never even remotely had trouble with.

Also, what about religion?  Do you think that plays a role in being Mandalorian?
Not unless you're that guy from Clan Q or our High Clam Lord buddy.

Does it matter at all?
Only if people try to force it on other Mandos. See previous examples.

Does it play a factor in WHO you'd consider your brothers or sisters?
Only if they try to force it on others.

Oya Ka'ra
ohaithar, mando'adiike.

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 04:26:13 PM »
It means doing the right thing, no matter what it is. Defending your family, both natural and extended. That extends to your country, your ideals, and the like.

Defend your country/nation.

Be nice, until it's time to not be nice.

Treat others as you wish to be treated.

Don't judge a person because of skin tone or ideals.

In other words, what I do as a US Marine every day.
The  purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in
defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more
important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

Drake and I agreed on something. Somebody get the camera out to capture the moment.

Laam'inui

• Major
  • Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 06:08:53 PM »
Do any of you believe that personal revenge is the right way to go about things when you've been wronged?  That's just as Mandalorian as the love.

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 11:15:14 PM »
depends on the wrong. I'm not going to murder someone if they steal my fruit cup, but if they systematically hunt my clan, I'll rip their guts out
It's Indiana Vlet!

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 12:15:53 AM »
An eye for an eye....For a fruit cup, serious toe breakage!!!
The  purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in
defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more
important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

Drake and I agreed on something. Somebody get the camera out to capture the moment.

Laam'inui

• Major
  • Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 12:25:24 AM »
So realistically you would resort to personally hurting or even killing someone, rather than letting the Law do their thing?  Let's say someone ransacks your house and steals thousands of dollars worth of goods, you have a scuffle with the guy, and you recognize him but he gets away.  What would you do?

What if he had killed a family member in the process?

I'm not taking any sides here, I'm just trying to figure out your perspectives.  It'll be interesting when to compare my own to what you guys have said.