Author Topic: What does being Mandalorian mean to you?  (Read 21231 times)

Kalira

• OMNOMNOMNOM.
  • Commander
  • ~ Oya Ka'ra ~
Re: What does being Mandalorian mean to you?
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 12:52:41 AM »
Do any of you believe that personal revenge is the right way to go about things when you've been wronged?  That's just as Mandalorian as the love.

Yes.

Although sometimes personal revenge is making sure the guy gets twenty years in prison.

Oya Ka'ra
Signature by Laam'inui :heart:
ohaithar, mando'adiike.

Laam'inui

• Major
  • Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 12:57:05 AM »
So realistically you would resort to personally hurting or even killing someone, rather than letting the Law do their thing?  Let's say someone ransacks your house and steals thousands of dollars worth of goods, you have a scuffle with the guy, and you recognize him but he gets away.  What would you do?

What if he had killed a family member in the process?

I'm not taking any sides here, I'm just trying to figure out your perspectives.  It'll be interesting when to compare my own to what you guys have said.

Quoted for next page.

Oh, and Kal'ika, so you'd be satisfied with offering someone up to court no matter what the crime rather than relieving your need for vengeance yourself, or would that only be in certain cases?   What if the jury let the person off with all charges dropped, but you still knew they deserved to be punished?

Quote from: Boba Fett
"You can't rule Mandalorians. You just make sensible suggestions they want to follow. And since when have Mandalorians needed to be told what makes sense?"

Kalira

• OMNOMNOMNOM.
  • Commander
  • ~ Oya Ka'ra ~
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 01:25:01 AM »
I said *sometimes*. Depends on how much I want to hurt them first.

Oya Ka'ra
ohaithar, mando'adiike.

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 03:55:51 PM »

My home is my castle, enter at your own risk. If you get away hope I don't find you. When someone willingly decides to take something that is not their's it becomes personal to the person it's taken from.
At that point do whatever you have to do. If you believe in the law, okay fine. If you believe the law won't do the right thing, do what you must.
The  purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in
defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more
important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

Drake and I agreed on something. Somebody get the camera out to capture the moment.

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
  • Nulla e reale, tutto e lecito
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 04:14:05 AM »
I'm with Sean...basically on everything.  Dang you Sean, beating me to all the good stuff... :P
"To say nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2009, 10:40:49 PM »
I belive in the law, but I also belive in the second amendment, and I know that police can't make it out fast enough.
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

Kalira

• OMNOMNOMNOM.
  • Commander
  • ~ Oya Ka'ra ~
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 09:38:31 AM »
Laws don't always = justice. Where that line is is a personal definition for individuals, and fortunately Mandalorians quite like individuality.

Oya Ka'ra
ohaithar, mando'adiike.

Fettishist

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2010, 06:07:12 PM »
Is this thread still effectively active? Got a 120 day warning.

Fettishist

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2010, 06:32:16 PM »
The Mandalorian Code, as I see it, living life as a Mando in the mundane world, as we know it. (Please take this witha grain of salt)
Being a Mandalorian, means family by blood and by “adoption” become one. We all have people in our lives that are not our blood, that if it came to it we’d take a bullet for. Clan means a willingness to tell the truth to each other, even in the face of judgment. As a clan we reserve judgment in the face of ALL the facts. As a clan we keep each other’s secrets.
Being a Mandalorian means taking responsibility for your actions and choices. It also means you carefully measure the choices you make against the effect they  have on the other members of your clan.
Being a Mandalorian means learning to defend yourself to the best of your ability, within the context of your life, and beyond. Familiarize yourself with the weapons and equipment available to you in your  life. This means anything from a bat to a bazooka, all depending on access. At the least it  means that you learn to stay out of places that jeopardize you or the safety of your clan.
Being a Mandalorian means being active socially and politically, supporting those people and policies that will guarantee the future freedoms of your fellow Mandos.
Being a Mandalorians means facing life head on, free, sharing it, honorably and honestly.

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2010, 06:58:45 PM »
also, being a Mandlaorian requires you identify yourself as a Mandalorian, by your armor... and you need to listen to the Mand'alor, assuming he actually says anything...
It's Indiana Vlet!

Fettishist

• Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2010, 07:11:59 PM »
I agree Vlet.

In the context of a military situation, there has to be a Mandalore, even if it is an individual chosen at the moment for a specific task. In a less military situation, a parent or elder. Respect.

As for armor, don't get me started, I could daydream all day about armor. I've worn a few types........European and Japanese.
I wonder if anyone has ever forged a suit of Mandalorian stlye armor in steel?

In my previous post, I would include armor in the equipment category.
In the mundane world, my brother always wears armor whenever he gets onto a motorcycle. I admire the sense of ease and agility he has riding with it on.

Colors.... I like black ( dark grey's good, easier to hide/blend) and mixed greens and earth colors.
My avatar is a modified ARC figure I repainted in Spec Ops camo pattern.

In the end, Mando knows Mando.

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2010, 07:14:50 PM »
yeah, several people have made metal sets, not as many as plastic sets, but there's quite a few in the Mercs...
It's Indiana Vlet!

Kalira

• OMNOMNOMNOM.
  • Commander
  • ~ Oya Ka'ra ~
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2010, 08:15:41 PM »
*cue second phase of OMG I HAVEN'T BEEN HERE IN AGES*
also, being a Mandlaorian requires you identify yourself as a Mandalorian, by your armor... and you need to listen to the Mand'alor, assuming he actually says anything...

The popular interpretation on the Fifth Action seems to be that "wearing armor" indicates remembering your heritage, and therefore in the real world can be substituted for the "real world". Some mandos have gotten tattoos, Ka'ra tossed around the idea of a medallion with the aliit crest etched on it for a while, and personally I have a necklace that contains the Resol'Nare. We simply can't walk into the office on Monday in full armor. It works in fiction, but not in reality.

As for Mand'alor, I have two answers to that. First, Ka'ra has an aliit'alor that we always referred to as Mand'alor, since at the time a) there wasn't a more appropriate term and b) we were the only Mandos. And second, the largest (to my knowledge) community of Mandalorians, http://z11.invisionfree.com/mandalore, has repeatedly and resoundingly decided not to name a Mand'alor. Common assessment is we just don't need one right now.

(and yeah, for those who would be interested, that link is probably a better one to follow than the ones in the OP, as it's for all aliite, not just Ka'ra, and it's a whole lot more active)

Oya Ka'ra
ohaithar, mando'adiike.

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2010, 10:55:23 PM »
well, not many Mandalorians wore their armor all the time... Canderous when he was younger, Kal Skirata, Mira... there's plenty, I think it's mostly you need to have some Mandalorian armor somewhere, if it's ever needed...
It's Indiana Vlet!

Rune

• Official Site Mir'shebs
  • Commander
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2010, 08:34:45 PM »
My problem is the cost of getting armor. I would give a lot for a suit, but I just don't have the resources in the first place. Anyone have a link for beskar'gam for the financially deprived?

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2010, 09:11:10 PM »
check out the Mercs site, they've got ways to make armor on any budget... I have very little cash most of the time (because it all goes to the armor...) but I've managed to make some serious progress! It's all in the ingenuity! I'm using a bunch of spare composite from when we redid the porch for the verp and pistols, and a trashcan makes a good set of plates. Upholstery makes a great vest, you can pich up flight suits at most surplus stores...
It's Indiana Vlet!

Dha'ward Krayt

• Major
  • IMMA CRAB!!!
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2010, 09:07:18 PM »
So basicly living the Resol'nare as best as i can in real life. I really want to take an old jacket and sew mando chest armor in between the layers of fabic in the jacket so i can say i have beskar'gam all the time. lol

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2010, 11:32:29 PM »
cut some kevlar into shape! (don't bother, it'll probably just ruin it...)
It's Indiana Vlet!

Rune

• Official Site Mir'shebs
  • Commander
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2010, 10:04:20 AM »
If you get Kevlar, sow some plates on the outside. Double protection. Psychological beskar'gam protection and bulletproof.

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2010, 07:43:19 PM »
nice...
It's Indiana Vlet!