Author Topic: The "New Mandalorians"  (Read 47381 times)

shadowxander

• Major
  • Te racin ka'ra juaan kote.
The "New Mandalorians"
« on: October 12, 2009, 09:30:29 PM »
With Season 2 of  The Clone Wars now upon us, I was browsing around for some information on who these Mandalorians in the trailers were going to be.  What I turned up is that there are actually going to be two separate factions appearing in the show.  The easily recognizable, armored Mandalorians are going to be the Death Watch that many of us already know.  However, what I certainly didn't know and wouldn't be surprised if several others didn't know either, is that the Duchess Satine we see in the trailers is actually a Mandalorian too, leader of the New Mandalorian faction.

This separate faction left the core Mandalorians several hundred years prior, settling on the planet Kalevala, in the Mandalore system.  For anyone who was confused about Keldabe being replaced as Mandalore's capital by Sundari, don't worry, it's this new planet's "Mandalorian capital".  Apparently, these New Mandalorians "did away with the old warrior codes that the Mandalorians had followed, instead claiming that the only way the Mandalorians could survive was through being peaceful, neutral and tolerant."  The tradition of wearing beskar'gam also declined among the separate sect, in favor of wearing other types of clothing, although some still adhered to it.

Basically, I'm looking to see what everybody thinks of this new idea.  All of the links above have some pretty good information, albeit limited since they've truly yet to debut , and I think can provide a springboard for some decent discussion on the subject.

So...thoughts, anyone?
Kandosii sa kyr'am ast
Troan teroch jetiise a'den
Duraan vi at ara'nov
Vode an, ka'rta tor!

Unit 899

• Major
  • Wassup.
Re: The "New Mandalorians"
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 09:37:13 PM »
Welllllllll, I like the idea, and im glad the captial hasent been replaced

So, yeah, I'm exicted

Quote from: Eparavu
Then out of nowhere you are like I AM THE GODDAMN BRONY BATMAN.
Quote from: N-11
Better to post infrequently and have good things to say, then to post all the time and say a lot of useless crap.

shadowxander

• Major
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 10:01:08 PM »
Same here.  That also clears up the infamous "Borg Cube" dwellings on a desert/snow Mandalore images everyone panicked over not too long ago.  Whole new planet.  Works for me.
Kandosii sa kyr'am ast
Duraan vi at ara'nov
Vode an, ka'rta tor!

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 11:42:35 PM »
well, frankly, I'm okay with everything but the DW bit... it makes me sick. Just plain ill. I really could just sit here and whine about it for the next six hours or more...
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 12:14:25 AM »
Okay, lets hold up a bit. I have to take this in...

To be honest I really don't know how to feel, I like how they're actually putting some emphasis on a Mandalorian plot of some kind, instead of them being just another group of baddies sent against the Jedi. But a new sect of Mandalorians, as pacifists? Um, uh I'm not sure that works.

If that IS the case, then go Death Watch. Make that Dutchess SUFFER!

Anyway, the details seem kinda shaky. Hopefully the show clears it all up.

EDIT: I read a bit more about the New Mandalorians, and it seems that a new set of wars between the Republic and the Mandalorians is introduced. Sometime about 730 BBY (712 BBG).

I'm actually pretty excited for this episode(s).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:35:30 AM by H-BOMB »

shadowxander

• Major
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 12:35:56 AM »
Well pacifism probably isn't the best word for these guys, not in the sense of the pacifistic Lurmen of Season 1.  They seem to be more of a group who just want to keep to themselves and co-exist with the rest of the galaxy in a more "normal" capacity, rather then being mercenaries for hire.  I don't really think that necessarily puts them at odds with what it means to be Mandalorian, considering Skirata's views that Mandalorians should look after their own and quit being the hired help for the rest of the galaxy.
Kandosii sa kyr'am ast
Duraan vi at ara'nov
Vode an, ka'rta tor!

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 12:43:11 AM »
Yeah, I guess so. I'm just happy they're in the show and the creators didn't completely ignore established ideas. (Death Watch)

Plus, before this whole topic was created or that wookiepedia entry made, did it ever occur to anybody that the symbol on the lead Mandalorian's helmet in the trailer was a variation of the Death Watch symbol?

shadowxander

• Major
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 12:58:03 AM »
It's Filoni.  Everybody who wants to talk crap on canon being overlooked, point the finger at Lucas.  Dave's going a damn good job of squeezing in what he can whenever Lucas leans back, it seems.  Despite disliking the Death Watch as a faction, I am practically ecstatic that they're being featured and apparently acting much in the same manner as we've come to expect.

And H-Bomb, you're a genius; it never occurred to me at all, though I will say the Death Watch's insignia wasn't exactly fresh in my memory.  Now that I'm looking at it, it does seem to be a more symmetrical version of the top half.  Good catch, there.
Kandosii sa kyr'am ast
Duraan vi at ara'nov
Vode an, ka'rta tor!

CroClone90

• Major
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 04:35:44 PM »
You know, we cant blame it all on Lucas... Its his thing... Without him, there would be nothing... I still hold him in highest respect...
THEY ARE THE PANZER ELITE, BORN TO COMPETE NEVER RETREAT, GHOST DIVISION!!!

Laam'inui

• Major
  • Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 05:51:06 PM »
Mandalorian pacifists.  What an f-ing joke.  This Clone Series is getting worse and worse.

Quote from: Boba Fett
"You can't rule Mandalorians. You just make sensible suggestions they want to follow. And since when have Mandalorians needed to be told what makes sense?"

shadowxander

• Major
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 05:57:43 PM »
Uh...ahem...

Well pacifism probably isn't the best word for these guys, not in the sense of the pacifistic Lurmen of Season 1.  They seem to be more of a group who just want to keep to themselves and co-exist with the rest of the galaxy in a more "normal" capacity, rather then being mercenaries for hire.  I don't really think that necessarily puts them at odds with what it means to be Mandalorian, considering Skirata's views that Mandalorians should look after their own and quit being the hired help for the rest of the galaxy.

I was hoping maybe somebody would be willing to say a little more then "It sux! :mad:"  Maybe later... lol
Kandosii sa kyr'am ast
Duraan vi at ara'nov
Vode an, ka'rta tor!

CroClone90

• Major
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 06:25:33 PM »
So much negativity...

shadowxander

• Major
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM »
You know, we cant blame it all on Lucas... Its his thing... Without him, there would be nothing... I still hold him in highest respect...

Yeah, I respect him and all.  He's made the single best series of movies ever.  But it's when it comes to the EU that I want to grab him by the back of his neck and press his face into a stack of novels.  Chances are I wouldn't actually do that, since all that would accomplish is it might give him a few papercuts, lol, but you get what I mean.  Filoni really gets it and he fights for the stuff we actually want to see.  But I still respect Lucas for the amazing movies, nonetheless.

So much negativity...

I know!  One of these days I'm gonna post a topic out side of Fanfiction that people are actually going to like. lol
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 09:53:44 PM by shadowxander »
Kandosii sa kyr'am ast
Duraan vi at ara'nov
Vode an, ka'rta tor!

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
  • Nulla e reale, tutto e lecito
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 01:10:27 AM »
I know!  One of these days I'm gonna post a topic out side of Fanfiction that people are actually going to like. lol
lmao.  Poor Xan...threads can't get no respect. :P
Well I'm taking a sigh of relief now that I know for sure that Keldabe's not getting replaced (even though A'den already mentioned that to me on FB) and we know now there's no need to be worrying about seeing big Borg-lookin' things on the real Mandalore.  Phew!  Anywho, as far as the actual New Mandalorians go...ehh, I guess there's nothing that really said they didn't exist, so I'm not seeing a super glaring continuity breaker yet.  And yeah, I agree with you that the "pacifist" thing actually seems more along the lines with what Kal was talking about rather then everybody having a  "We don't fight ever" stance.  I mean, she clearly has no problem defending herself against whatevr those droid things were that were attacking, and you see some kind of warrior-lookin' guys standing around the throne room.  So I'm pretty excited to see just what's gonna go down!
"To say nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

CroClone90

• Major
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 06:54:44 AM »
Can anybody elaborate about those talkings of "Borg cubes on Mandalore"??? I havent seen nothing like it...

Laam'inui

• Major
  • Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 09:28:14 AM »
She was known to have had an affair with the Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi at some point, but they eventually broke off to concentrate on their respective jobs as peacekeepers.[1] During the Clone Wars, she was known to be a staunch pacifist and leader of the New Mandalorians, a reformist political faction.[2] She was known to command attention from her fellow beings, which somewhat stemmed from her beauty.

Gee, sounds like they're real pacifists to me.  :P  Also, the fact that they don't wear beskar'gam... ugh.  They're NOT MANDALORIANS.  Good gravy.  You can't be Mandalorian if you don't follow the Resol'nare.  I hope Boba exterminates the lot of these wimps sometime.

Quote from: Boba Fett
"You can't rule Mandalorians. You just make sensible suggestions they want to follow. And since when have Mandalorians needed to be told what makes sense?"

CroClone90

• Major
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 11:57:36 AM »
They dont wear armor? Bad decision...

Talo

• Captain
  • "Walk with doom, brother."
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 02:44:51 PM »
With Season 2 of  The Clone Wars now upon us, I was browsing around for some information on who these Mandalorians in the trailers were going to be.  What I turned up is that there are actually going to be two separate factions appearing in the show.  The easily recognizable, armored Mandalorians are going to be the Death Watch that many of us already know.  However, what I certainly didn't know and wouldn't be surprised if several others didn't know either, is that the Duchess Satine we see in the trailers is actually a Mandalorian too, leader of the New Mandalorian faction.

This separate faction left the core Mandalorians several hundred years prior, settling on the planet Kalevala, in the Mandalore system.  For anyone who was confused about Keldabe being replaced as Mandalore's capital by Sundari, don't worry, it's this new planet's "Mandalorian capital".  Apparently, these New Mandalorians "did away with the old warrior codes that the Mandalorians had followed, instead claiming that the only way the Mandalorians could survive was through being peaceful, neutral and tolerant."  The tradition of wearing beskar'gam also declined among the separate sect, in favor of wearing other types of clothing, although some still adhered to it.

Basically, I'm looking to see what everybody thinks of this new idea.  All of the links above have some pretty good information, albeit limited since they've truly yet to debut , and I think can provide a springboard for some decent discussion on the subject.

So...thoughts, anyone?

Wow...Spoiler alert dude.

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 03:20:43 PM »
Same here.  That also clears up the infamous "Borg Cube" dwellings on a desert/snow Mandalore images everyone panicked over not too long ago.  Whole new planet.  Works for me.

ah, and we're back to the infamous borg cubes.....lol those were some funny conversations. we nearly had a rebellion over that one picture. :P

Can anybody elaborate about those talkings of "Borg cubes on Mandalore"??? I havent seen nothing like it...

what? you never saw the borg cubes? it was a concept art picture for CW of what we thought was supposed to be Mandalore (apparently now its this new world)

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

shadowxander

• Major
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 03:42:17 PM »

It was concept art for "Mandalore" that they showed in the Art of the Clone Wars book.  It showed a barren looking planet with large metallic cube structures (very reminiscent of the Borg cubes from Star Trek) sitting on the surface.

Also, the fact that they don't wear beskar'gam... ugh.  They're NOT MANDALORIANS.  Good gravy.  You can't be Mandalorian if you don't follow the Resol'nare.  I hope Boba exterminates the lot of these wimps sometime.
Finally!  Thank you.  The lack of beskar'gam is a large breach of the Resol'nare.  It's the defining visual element of the Mandos, the one thing that everyone had in common.  That the New Mandalorians decided to do away with it seems considerably more at odds with the Mandalorian culture then the desire to be more peaceful.
Although, apparently, a few still chose to keep to the traditional ways and wear the armor still.  What about those individuals?  Can they still be considered Mandalorian then?  And there were the warrior/guards Mia brought up.  They wear armor, although it's of a different style.  Beskar'gam was constantly evolving and changing throughout the centuries; I wouldn't have an issue accepting that they chose to make an armor styling different then the more common Mando armor to symbolize that they were a separate entity.  And in the trailer, they can be seen fighting alongside the clones in battle, so they're clearly not too concerned with pacifism in the strict sense.
Kandosii sa kyr'am ast
Duraan vi at ara'nov
Vode an, ka'rta tor!