Author Topic: Flyboy's Clone Pilot + RC armour  (Read 52820 times)

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
  • Lock S-Foils in attack position.
Flyboy's Clone Pilot + RC armour
« on: October 29, 2009, 08:03:09 AM »
OK, I'ev decided to give in to temptation and begin thinking about how I'll make my own CT armour.  Obviously, the Clone Pilot is the natural choice of armour for me and the version in Attack of the Clones is the one I want to go for:

Now then, while I have no armour building experience I do have quite a bit of plastic modeling experience (e.g. Airfix, Warhammer, etc).  I've already got plans for how to do some parts of the armour taht should save a lot of time and hassle, like getting one of the official LA CLone Trooper blaster toys for the gun and then painting it realistic colours:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Clone-Electronic-Trooper-Blaster/dp/B001JAGT5A/ref=pd_sim_k_h_b_cs_2

and for the boots I'm thinking of just getting a pair of wellies and modifying them as neccessary.

http://www.worldofclogs.com/acatalog/www_worldofclogs_com_Surgi_Boot_10.html

For the undersuit I was thinking of just using a set of coveralls and dying them black if necessary.

http://www.jklclothing.co.uk/p/p-portwest_standard_work_coverall__c802-2219.aspx

So, when will I start this?  Well, I'm hoping to start next summer when I will hopefully start full-time work as a software engineer and, if I can find a job close enough, be back living with my parents.  Of course, I'll need their permission to start making it since I'm only going to do it while living with them, but I don't think that should be too much of a problem as I tend to be quite tidy and I've already done lots of plastic modelling when I was younger anyway.

So, why start thinking about it so soon?  Well, I know that just like when developing software, the key to getting this as good as posible is going to be getting the planning right.  Since we have a pretty strong costuming community I've got plenty of time to try and learn what I can from you all and find all the resources I need to help plan this all out and have everything ready for when I am able to start.

EDIT

Damn it!  This project has just taken a major blow.  The company I wanted to work for most has just rejected my application, so I'm going to have to look around for more companies now.  I've already got an application half filled in for another company, but I don't think they offer as good a deal as the one I wanted.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 03:02:34 PM by flyboy424 »
Clone Pilot armour project: helmet, chest - pepped.
RC helmet: done.

Mereel Skirata

• Mod Staff
  • Senior Clone Commander
  • For Mandalore!
Re: Flyboy's Clone Pilot armour
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 10:04:16 AM »
Hey, I like the clone Pilot idea Flyboy!     

I have a couple tips if you want to make this a quality costume.   First, I would start by looking through Build threads from clonetroopers.net. 

For un undersuit I would look into Under Armour, its a brand of sports gear.  The Clone undersuit is supposed tighter to your body then what a flightsuit would give you.   Its what i'll be getting for my RC undersuit when it comes time for that.

Do you plan on making this armor or buying?      BTW, here is a good Reference thread http://forum.clonetroopers.net/index.php?showtopic=11070   

Resident Costumer.

"Now boys.. no comparing verp sizes...."

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 10:34:52 AM »
I was planning on making it myself.  I'll consider the Under Armour option, but taking a quick look its a bit more expensive then I thought it might be.

Also, a flight suit is different from coveralls.  The coveralls I linked to are for engineering purposes and pretty cheap, whereas a flight suit is specially designed to burn quickly in a flash fire to protect you, is generally 5 - 6 times more expensive then coveralls and have knee pads for maps etc (unless they're military fast jets ones in which case the knee pads are on the G-suit). ;)

EDIT

Been thinking about colour scheme and I'm currently thinking of doing a custom one based upon the one found in SW: Battlefront.  Might even customise it further by adding 'AAA' in auberish on the side of the helmet to make it the armour of my RP character in the RSS RP.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 11:39:45 AM by flyboy424 »

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 10:50:50 PM »
cool, looks like this could be great!
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 07:24:56 AM »
Since I can't find much on the Ep II version of the Clone Pilot armour (most stuff is now Ep III or TCW versions) I'm thinking of making a 3D model myself.  That will then not only give me a complete 360* view of the armour, but will also let me get to know the shapes of each part much better and I guess I can also test out different paint schemes to see how they would look.  As an added bonus it should also help improve my currently pretty basic 3D modelling skills.

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 08:16:40 PM »
Roll over to Mercs or the 501st and see who might have something close. I really think clone troops are far superior to stormies in alot of ways. The main one being the armor looks cooler.
The  purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in
defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more
important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

Drake and I agreed on something. Somebody get the camera out to capture the moment.

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
  • Nulla e reale, tutto e lecito
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 11:01:36 PM »
And this is what happens when you get fanboys who also happen to be pilots.  ;)
I'd love to see how this turns out.  Great idea.
"To say nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 01:08:24 PM »
Roll over to Mercs or the 501st and see who might have something close.
I've already been on the 501st site and found a very useful pic.  Might check the Mercs site later.

I really think clone troops are far superior to stormies in alot of ways. The main one being the armor looks cooler.
Agreed.  I think the fact Clone Troopers had much more freedom to customise their armour helps too.

And this is what happens when you get fanboys who also happen to be pilots.  ;)
I'd love to see how this turns out.  Great idea.
This idea really came from an amazing image I had in my head a week ago of me flying a real plane to go to a con while dressed in full Clone Pilot armour.  I think its safe to say that one of the things that is on my 'List of things to do before I die' is to fly over to America and meet up with someone else (perhaps from this forum) and go to a con dressed in full armour.  I'm sure it would shock the airport staff to see a Clone Trooper Pilot actually flying in! :P

Anyway, a couple of updates.  Along with the image I found on the 501st site, I also found a low-poly 3D model of a CP via Google.  Its not as good quality as I'd like and I've noticed a few things that might need changing, but I think with my current skill level I'd be better off continuing with the 3D model I started (which is a blocky foot and a very thin and blocky leg).  I'm also thinking about practicality with the armour and creating a 'double visor'.  In other words, I'm thinking of creating a fixed, clear inner visor and a removable, tinted outer visor.  That will not only mean I'll be able to use it safely for real flying, but also improve its usefulness in low-light areas.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 01:13:49 PM by flyboy424 »

A-77 Commander Fordo'Ad

• Commander
  • "Captain Fordo Reporting"
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 10:04:42 PM »
????? Those UK prices are outrageous! 19.99 is the price for a clone blaster here too :P. If the dollar is so weak then why is everything so cheap xD.

Also, if you're going to make a 3D model, you should join the 405th. They are a Halo costuming site and if you're lucky, someone will turn the model into a pepakura file, which is printed on thick paper, cut out, folded, glued, and then hardened. This seems much easier than sculpting the armor or scratch buuilding it.

igamesonline.net

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 06:06:09 AM »
I've been thinking about this project again recently.  At the moment I'm not entirely sure if it will happen next year like I hope as the job I'm currently trying to persue (programmer for Microsoft's Xbox Live development team) will send me quite far from my parents and a set of Clone armour is not the sort of thing I want to have to transport along with all my other bits every year when I move into a new house to continue my degree.

However, I have found some more useful info.  In the art book that comes with the Clone Wars season 1 DVD box set there is q page which has Clone concepts of Cody, an AT-TE gunner and a Clone Pilot.  The pilot and gunner only have helmet shots, however in all 3 pics it has the RGB values for their armour.  The pilot has an RGB value of 220, 185, 70 for the yellow on the top and 99, 53, 53 for the Republic logo on the sides of the helmet.

For those who are interested the AT-TE gunner helmet has 73, 84, 87 for the grey on the shoulder and chest plates; 153, 143, 113 for the grey on most of the helmet and 116, 116, 98 for the grey on the back.  The orange on Commander Cody is 202, 135, 44.

Oh yeah, as a side note, I've also been thinking about Sergeant Kano, a trooper in the 501st features in Republic Heroes, and have been wondering about doing his armour as a second project after the pilot one.  I might get an early start with one of those voice changer helmets and paint it to look like his helmet.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:16:25 AM by flyboy424 »

A'den

• Private
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 01:57:17 AM »
You obviously have to post pics while you are making it and or the finished project.
Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur. - "Today is a good day for someone else to die."

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 09:26:50 AM »
OK, its been a while but I have some progress news to report before I have to turn my full attention back to my degree studies.  While I've not actually made anything yet, I could be starting the first stage very soon.  Last week I found a prize draw to win a set of Stormtrooper armour.  While I don't like the Stormtrooper armour anywhere near as much as the Clone Trooper one, the thought of having a full set of SW armour is very appealing, plus my chances of winning are much better then other prize draws I've entered as according to the terms and conditions (yes, I did actually read them!) says there is no limit to the number of entries you can submit, so between now and March when it ends I'm going to try to add a few more entries each day.

The reason this is relevant is that I'm likely going to use the ST armour as a base for my clone pilot one.  This means I'll just make the helmet and chest box (although knowing me I could well get carried away and decide to just go for it all anyway ;) ).  At the moment the plan is to use the CP helmet as a learning project and then move on to making a set of RC armour, or likely 2 sets.  After that I may go back to the Clone Pilot armour and remake another set, this time in full.

I've been thinking more and more about making a set of RC armour, and my plans right now are to make a basic grunt version first to make sure I've gotten it all right, then move on to a fully customised RC with attachments featured in the game.  Its going to be a few years at least before I'm going to be ready to tackle making it, but it can't hurt to start planning and get as much of the details worked out as possible.  To go with the custom RC armour I'm also working out a back-story which I'll post when I've gotten more details worked out.  And like the pilot armour I intend to try to make my own 3D models to help make this, with both the CP and RC models most likely being released for free afterwards for you all to use.

During my research I found some outlines on the 501st forums intended to help when making colour schemes and so below is what I have come up with this morning.  The scheme is based on the Dazzle camouflage system created by British marine painter Norman Wilkinson during WWI as a way for confusing the enemy as to the shape, size, speed and distance of naval vessels.  Note that the colour scheme will be blues and whites rather then the greys shown.  I'm also probably going to try out a few different ideas with this one likely being the the most functional.

Grunt Trooper

• Zone Lord
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 02:39:49 PM »
I have always wanted a full set of Storm Trooper armor... Trooper is part of my name after all. I was going to be Storm Grunt or something but Grunt Trooper just worked. Anyway...

Good luck! I want to make armor someday, when life gets less hecktic with my family. Life never settles down though.

FI-21975JR

• Lieutenant
  • Why did they call him sicko?
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 11:28:39 AM »
nice idea im torn between doing a set of CP armour myself or a set of mando armour or even RC armour

plus when im older i'd like to be an engineer of some kind and that for me includes designing/making planes buildings vehicles ect and can you imagine the airport having a LAAt/i coming in to land with a CP flying and im not joking im always thinking of ideas for things and i have thought of something which is a bit of a cross between a larty and a pelican off halo.

now that would be bad shebs :D

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 07:01:55 PM »
Looks like I didn't win that Stormtrooper armour, but that's not going to stop me.  I'm looking at some point in the next week or so to try my hand at making a Clone Pilot helmet from a Pepakura file I found online.  I still need to get the supplies to make it, but given my experience building model kits I expect once I have the pieces printed the longest part will be waiting for the glue to set.  I've also downloaded a Pep file for the Rebel Pilot helmet so I may build that as well, although for that I'll likely work on a custom design for the markings first.

Grunt Trooper

• Zone Lord
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 03:23:44 PM »
Just keep working on it. Eventually it will all come together! And then you will be the coolest clone pilot guy here!

Laney97

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 03:30:43 PM »
I do hope it works. I'd like to see the finished armour.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 02:42:32 PM »
On Saturday I went out and bought some card and glue so I could start the helmet, and 3 days on I've gotten most of the front done.  I need to find something to use for the visor, currently looking like maybe a 2ltr Coke bottle or some other plastic coloured in with felt-tips if I can't find any cheap tinted plastic around (I'm surprised at how hard its been to find any, and I'm not paying for a full motorcycle visor).

Laney97

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 02:44:04 PM »
Helmets coming along good. I think a coke bottle would be good as a visor. Just don't mess up the sizing, though...

Ky'ram Parjai'Kote

• Disgruntled MMORPG
  • Commander
  • Hates Bioware officially.
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 08:10:08 AM »
What about a welding helmet visor?

As A'den would say: "Buy a dark green, #5!"

Coming along very nicely, Flyboy...
Lists of games I play:
-- Star Trek Online
-- KOTOR (1 and 2)
-- SWTOR
-- Terraria
-- TF2
-- Magicka
-- Left 4 Dead 2
-- Garry's Mod
And nearly any other F2P game on this planet.