Author Topic: Flyboy's Clone Pilot + RC armour  (Read 53911 times)

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
  • Lock S-Foils in attack position.
Flyboy's Clone Pilot + RC armour
« on: October 29, 2009, 08:03:09 AM »
OK, I'ev decided to give in to temptation and begin thinking about how I'll make my own CT armour.  Obviously, the Clone Pilot is the natural choice of armour for me and the version in Attack of the Clones is the one I want to go for:

Now then, while I have no armour building experience I do have quite a bit of plastic modeling experience (e.g. Airfix, Warhammer, etc).  I've already got plans for how to do some parts of the armour taht should save a lot of time and hassle, like getting one of the official LA CLone Trooper blaster toys for the gun and then painting it realistic colours:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Clone-Electronic-Trooper-Blaster/dp/B001JAGT5A/ref=pd_sim_k_h_b_cs_2

and for the boots I'm thinking of just getting a pair of wellies and modifying them as neccessary.

http://www.worldofclogs.com/acatalog/www_worldofclogs_com_Surgi_Boot_10.html

For the undersuit I was thinking of just using a set of coveralls and dying them black if necessary.

http://www.jklclothing.co.uk/p/p-portwest_standard_work_coverall__c802-2219.aspx

So, when will I start this?  Well, I'm hoping to start next summer when I will hopefully start full-time work as a software engineer and, if I can find a job close enough, be back living with my parents.  Of course, I'll need their permission to start making it since I'm only going to do it while living with them, but I don't think that should be too much of a problem as I tend to be quite tidy and I've already done lots of plastic modelling when I was younger anyway.

So, why start thinking about it so soon?  Well, I know that just like when developing software, the key to getting this as good as posible is going to be getting the planning right.  Since we have a pretty strong costuming community I've got plenty of time to try and learn what I can from you all and find all the resources I need to help plan this all out and have everything ready for when I am able to start.

EDIT

Damn it!  This project has just taken a major blow.  The company I wanted to work for most has just rejected my application, so I'm going to have to look around for more companies now.  I've already got an application half filled in for another company, but I don't think they offer as good a deal as the one I wanted.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 03:02:34 PM by flyboy424 »
Clone Pilot armour project: helmet, chest - pepped.
RC helmet: done.

Mereel Skirata

• Mod Staff
  • Senior Clone Commander
  • For Mandalore!
Re: Flyboy's Clone Pilot armour
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 10:04:16 AM »
Hey, I like the clone Pilot idea Flyboy!     

I have a couple tips if you want to make this a quality costume.   First, I would start by looking through Build threads from clonetroopers.net. 

For un undersuit I would look into Under Armour, its a brand of sports gear.  The Clone undersuit is supposed tighter to your body then what a flightsuit would give you.   Its what i'll be getting for my RC undersuit when it comes time for that.

Do you plan on making this armor or buying?      BTW, here is a good Reference thread http://forum.clonetroopers.net/index.php?showtopic=11070   

Resident Costumer.

"Now boys.. no comparing verp sizes...."

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 10:34:52 AM »
I was planning on making it myself.  I'll consider the Under Armour option, but taking a quick look its a bit more expensive then I thought it might be.

Also, a flight suit is different from coveralls.  The coveralls I linked to are for engineering purposes and pretty cheap, whereas a flight suit is specially designed to burn quickly in a flash fire to protect you, is generally 5 - 6 times more expensive then coveralls and have knee pads for maps etc (unless they're military fast jets ones in which case the knee pads are on the G-suit). ;)

EDIT

Been thinking about colour scheme and I'm currently thinking of doing a custom one based upon the one found in SW: Battlefront.  Might even customise it further by adding 'AAA' in auberish on the side of the helmet to make it the armour of my RP character in the RSS RP.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 11:39:45 AM by flyboy424 »

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 10:50:50 PM »
cool, looks like this could be great!
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 07:24:56 AM »
Since I can't find much on the Ep II version of the Clone Pilot armour (most stuff is now Ep III or TCW versions) I'm thinking of making a 3D model myself.  That will then not only give me a complete 360* view of the armour, but will also let me get to know the shapes of each part much better and I guess I can also test out different paint schemes to see how they would look.  As an added bonus it should also help improve my currently pretty basic 3D modelling skills.

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 08:16:40 PM »
Roll over to Mercs or the 501st and see who might have something close. I really think clone troops are far superior to stormies in alot of ways. The main one being the armor looks cooler.
The  purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in
defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more
important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

Drake and I agreed on something. Somebody get the camera out to capture the moment.

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
  • Nulla e reale, tutto e lecito
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 11:01:36 PM »
And this is what happens when you get fanboys who also happen to be pilots.  ;)
I'd love to see how this turns out.  Great idea.
"To say nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 01:08:24 PM »
Roll over to Mercs or the 501st and see who might have something close.
I've already been on the 501st site and found a very useful pic.  Might check the Mercs site later.

I really think clone troops are far superior to stormies in alot of ways. The main one being the armor looks cooler.
Agreed.  I think the fact Clone Troopers had much more freedom to customise their armour helps too.

And this is what happens when you get fanboys who also happen to be pilots.  ;)
I'd love to see how this turns out.  Great idea.
This idea really came from an amazing image I had in my head a week ago of me flying a real plane to go to a con while dressed in full Clone Pilot armour.  I think its safe to say that one of the things that is on my 'List of things to do before I die' is to fly over to America and meet up with someone else (perhaps from this forum) and go to a con dressed in full armour.  I'm sure it would shock the airport staff to see a Clone Trooper Pilot actually flying in! :P

Anyway, a couple of updates.  Along with the image I found on the 501st site, I also found a low-poly 3D model of a CP via Google.  Its not as good quality as I'd like and I've noticed a few things that might need changing, but I think with my current skill level I'd be better off continuing with the 3D model I started (which is a blocky foot and a very thin and blocky leg).  I'm also thinking about practicality with the armour and creating a 'double visor'.  In other words, I'm thinking of creating a fixed, clear inner visor and a removable, tinted outer visor.  That will not only mean I'll be able to use it safely for real flying, but also improve its usefulness in low-light areas.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 01:13:49 PM by flyboy424 »

A-77 Commander Fordo'Ad

• Commander
  • "Captain Fordo Reporting"
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 10:04:42 PM »
????? Those UK prices are outrageous! 19.99 is the price for a clone blaster here too :P. If the dollar is so weak then why is everything so cheap xD.

Also, if you're going to make a 3D model, you should join the 405th. They are a Halo costuming site and if you're lucky, someone will turn the model into a pepakura file, which is printed on thick paper, cut out, folded, glued, and then hardened. This seems much easier than sculpting the armor or scratch buuilding it.

igamesonline.net

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 06:06:09 AM »
I've been thinking about this project again recently.  At the moment I'm not entirely sure if it will happen next year like I hope as the job I'm currently trying to persue (programmer for Microsoft's Xbox Live development team) will send me quite far from my parents and a set of Clone armour is not the sort of thing I want to have to transport along with all my other bits every year when I move into a new house to continue my degree.

However, I have found some more useful info.  In the art book that comes with the Clone Wars season 1 DVD box set there is q page which has Clone concepts of Cody, an AT-TE gunner and a Clone Pilot.  The pilot and gunner only have helmet shots, however in all 3 pics it has the RGB values for their armour.  The pilot has an RGB value of 220, 185, 70 for the yellow on the top and 99, 53, 53 for the Republic logo on the sides of the helmet.

For those who are interested the AT-TE gunner helmet has 73, 84, 87 for the grey on the shoulder and chest plates; 153, 143, 113 for the grey on most of the helmet and 116, 116, 98 for the grey on the back.  The orange on Commander Cody is 202, 135, 44.

Oh yeah, as a side note, I've also been thinking about Sergeant Kano, a trooper in the 501st features in Republic Heroes, and have been wondering about doing his armour as a second project after the pilot one.  I might get an early start with one of those voice changer helmets and paint it to look like his helmet.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:16:25 AM by flyboy424 »

A'den

• Private
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 01:57:17 AM »
You obviously have to post pics while you are making it and or the finished project.
Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur. - "Today is a good day for someone else to die."

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 09:26:50 AM »
OK, its been a while but I have some progress news to report before I have to turn my full attention back to my degree studies.  While I've not actually made anything yet, I could be starting the first stage very soon.  Last week I found a prize draw to win a set of Stormtrooper armour.  While I don't like the Stormtrooper armour anywhere near as much as the Clone Trooper one, the thought of having a full set of SW armour is very appealing, plus my chances of winning are much better then other prize draws I've entered as according to the terms and conditions (yes, I did actually read them!) says there is no limit to the number of entries you can submit, so between now and March when it ends I'm going to try to add a few more entries each day.

The reason this is relevant is that I'm likely going to use the ST armour as a base for my clone pilot one.  This means I'll just make the helmet and chest box (although knowing me I could well get carried away and decide to just go for it all anyway ;) ).  At the moment the plan is to use the CP helmet as a learning project and then move on to making a set of RC armour, or likely 2 sets.  After that I may go back to the Clone Pilot armour and remake another set, this time in full.

I've been thinking more and more about making a set of RC armour, and my plans right now are to make a basic grunt version first to make sure I've gotten it all right, then move on to a fully customised RC with attachments featured in the game.  Its going to be a few years at least before I'm going to be ready to tackle making it, but it can't hurt to start planning and get as much of the details worked out as possible.  To go with the custom RC armour I'm also working out a back-story which I'll post when I've gotten more details worked out.  And like the pilot armour I intend to try to make my own 3D models to help make this, with both the CP and RC models most likely being released for free afterwards for you all to use.

During my research I found some outlines on the 501st forums intended to help when making colour schemes and so below is what I have come up with this morning.  The scheme is based on the Dazzle camouflage system created by British marine painter Norman Wilkinson during WWI as a way for confusing the enemy as to the shape, size, speed and distance of naval vessels.  Note that the colour scheme will be blues and whites rather then the greys shown.  I'm also probably going to try out a few different ideas with this one likely being the the most functional.

Grunt Trooper

• Zone Lord
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 02:39:49 PM »
I have always wanted a full set of Storm Trooper armor... Trooper is part of my name after all. I was going to be Storm Grunt or something but Grunt Trooper just worked. Anyway...

Good luck! I want to make armor someday, when life gets less hecktic with my family. Life never settles down though.

FI-21975JR

• Lieutenant
  • Why did they call him sicko?
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 11:28:39 AM »
nice idea im torn between doing a set of CP armour myself or a set of mando armour or even RC armour

plus when im older i'd like to be an engineer of some kind and that for me includes designing/making planes buildings vehicles ect and can you imagine the airport having a LAAt/i coming in to land with a CP flying and im not joking im always thinking of ideas for things and i have thought of something which is a bit of a cross between a larty and a pelican off halo.

now that would be bad shebs :D

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 07:01:55 PM »
Looks like I didn't win that Stormtrooper armour, but that's not going to stop me.  I'm looking at some point in the next week or so to try my hand at making a Clone Pilot helmet from a Pepakura file I found online.  I still need to get the supplies to make it, but given my experience building model kits I expect once I have the pieces printed the longest part will be waiting for the glue to set.  I've also downloaded a Pep file for the Rebel Pilot helmet so I may build that as well, although for that I'll likely work on a custom design for the markings first.

Grunt Trooper

• Zone Lord
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 03:23:44 PM »
Just keep working on it. Eventually it will all come together! And then you will be the coolest clone pilot guy here!

Laney97

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 03:30:43 PM »
I do hope it works. I'd like to see the finished armour.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 02:42:32 PM »
On Saturday I went out and bought some card and glue so I could start the helmet, and 3 days on I've gotten most of the front done.  I need to find something to use for the visor, currently looking like maybe a 2ltr Coke bottle or some other plastic coloured in with felt-tips if I can't find any cheap tinted plastic around (I'm surprised at how hard its been to find any, and I'm not paying for a full motorcycle visor).

Laney97

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 02:44:04 PM »
Helmets coming along good. I think a coke bottle would be good as a visor. Just don't mess up the sizing, though...

Ky'ram Parjai'Kote

• Disgruntled MMORPG
  • Commander
  • Hates Bioware officially.
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 08:10:08 AM »
What about a welding helmet visor?

As A'den would say: "Buy a dark green, #5!"

Coming along very nicely, Flyboy...
Lists of games I play:
-- Star Trek Online
-- KOTOR (1 and 2)
-- SWTOR
-- Terraria
-- TF2
-- Magicka
-- Left 4 Dead 2
-- Garry's Mod
And nearly any other F2P game on this planet.

Laney97

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 10:47:37 AM »
If he hasn't got a weilding helmet, a bottle is alot easier to be bought. But yes, that would work better.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 11:37:34 AM »
I still haven't come to a decision about the visor yet.  I have however been making progress on the top part and the back.

Laney97

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 02:30:43 PM »
Your working hard, flyboy...

Phi

• Captain
  • K'atini!
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 03:32:14 PM »
Looks like its coming along well :)  I look forward to seeing more pics.

Lil Vod

• Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 11:39:48 PM »
Hmmm...sounds cool! ;D

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 09:27:03 AM »
I thought I should post an update.  Last month my mum decided that she didn't like my modelling supplies (paints, glues, etc) being piled up in a corner out of the way in my room, so she put them all away in my new chest-of-drawers and inadvertently ended up squashing everything I'd done on the helmet so far (as I had stored it in there to try and keep it from being accidentally squashed, ironically).  I've had a look at it and the front of it is OK, although it needs quite a lot of work to re-attach a few things, but the back is completely squashed and bent out of shape so its probably going to be easier to start again on that bit.

I have thought about leaving what I've got where it is and just restarting from new again on this.  I've been looking into more cardboard and am looking at some slightly thinner stuff (which should be easier to bend and, hopefully, not tear apart so easily at the joints) and comes in a pack of 250 sheets, more then enough to do a complete set of armour should I decide to (the other pack I got was only 24 sheets).  It'd also be a good chance for me to get new glue (the one I got before wasn't as strong as I'd hoped) and a new pair of scissors (as my current ones are broken).

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, 03:39:38 PM »
Too bad about your helmet. :(

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 04:29:39 PM »
It is.  I still haven't yet decided what I'm going to do with it.  I feel quite bad at the thought of just throwing it into the recycling as I did put quite a lot of effort into the progress I made but at the same time I'd feel better starting again totally from scratch as I've made a few minor mistakes along the way in addition to the damage that was caused recently.

Today I ordered more card and glue so by the end of this week I should hopefully have started work on a second version, this time with the numbers printed on so I can line them up exactly rather then manually number the back of each tab so I know roughly where to attach it.  I have also thought about what to do afterwards and seeing the price of resin and fibreglass cloth is much lower then I expected I might go and get those and some paint once I've  finished the card version to strengthen the helmet and decorate it.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 12:56:40 PM »
The stuff came on Friday and I've been remaking it since then.  So far I have part of the top and right-front done, and will probably work on the rest of the top and left-front over the next few days.  Here is a pic of my progress:

Phi

• Captain
  • K'atini!
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
That looks pretty cool; I can't wait to see it when its complete. :)

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2011, 07:26:33 AM »
The past couple of days progress has been slow but today I hit a milestone.  The dome of the top of the helmet is done!  Well, I've still got a couple of minor bits to add in but all the major stuff on it is done now.

Its turned out a little b it bigger then I'd anticipated, but at least that means it is more likely to fit me.  I have noticed a few discrepancies with the model used in the film (which my one is based on) but if I decide to go beyond just cardboard and start using resin, body filler, etc I should be able to alter it as necessary without too much problem.

So, on to finishing the front of the helmet.  Then I'll probably tackle the ear parts as they'll be the most tricky (due to some VERY fiddly parts in them) before finishing with the back of the helmet.

Delta 42

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2011, 03:52:41 PM »
Is that the "Airman Shield" from RC?
If so, oddly enough, that's what I use for my head in Multiplayer.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2011, 04:07:48 PM »
No, as the title of the thread says this is the full Cone Pilot helmet from Attack of the Clones rather then an RC helm.

I also use the airman shield in multiplayer (or I did before it was shut off for Xbox).

Anyway, might as well do a bit more progress update (no pics though).  Today I've gotten most of the front done and will probably move onto the ear parts tomorrow.  At this rate I should be done within the next week.

Delta 42

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2011, 04:26:49 PM »
Ah, I see. I will pay more attention in the future.

Rune

• Official Site Mir'shebs
  • Commander
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »

Delta 42

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2011, 06:58:25 PM »
Haha! You see everything, don't you, Rune?

Ky'ram Parjai'Kote

• Disgruntled MMORPG
  • Commander
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2011, 08:52:21 AM »
He's omnipotent.

He's...a Grammer Nazi!
Lists of games I play:
-- Star Trek Online
-- KOTOR (1 and 2)
-- SWTOR
-- Terraria
-- TF2
-- Magicka
-- Left 4 Dead 2
-- Garry's Mod

Rune

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2011, 04:51:08 PM »
Grammar*

And no, that was spelling.

Ky'ram Parjai'Kote

• Disgruntled MMORPG
  • Commander
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2011, 06:42:37 PM »
I spelled it wrong to prove a point.

And also, Grammar Nazi encompasses spelling, because "Grammar and Spelling Nazi" is too much to say...

On topic, I've been watching this closely, and I'm glad you've started again, Flyboy!
Lists of games I play:
-- Star Trek Online
-- KOTOR (1 and 2)
-- SWTOR
-- Terraria
-- TF2
-- Magicka
-- Left 4 Dead 2
-- Garry's Mod

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2011, 12:21:43 PM »
I'm glad too because its going much better then before, and because this time I'm paying more attention as to which side of the card to score on, plus the fact the slightly thinner card is a bit easier to work with, its coming out much better.

More progress pics and this time its of the front.  Just started on the first of the ear parts and as expected its very fiddly work with lots of small tabs to cut out, score and glue.  At least once they are out of the way its just the back that needs doing which is mostly large parts that are simple to cut and score.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2011, 05:32:09 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but I've just done a proper comparison between the Pepakura model I'm using for my build and the model used in Attack of the Clones and the full scale of the inaccuracy has become clear to me now.  As you can see in the pic below, I've highlighted the key differences that will need to be changed in order to achieve good accuracy to the film.

In green at the top you can see the recessed bit doesn't go back as far in the movie as it does on the pep model.

In red at the front the helmet the yellow part can also bee seen to be a different shape, not only in a larger angled bit but also a slightly recessed bit running up the middle of the helmet.

In blue the top of the ear cover is completely the wrong shape and in orange the recessed parts are much larger in the movie then on the pep model.

I have also noticed a few other smaller things (like the depth of the visor into the helmet being way too much in the pep model) but the ones highlighted are the big ones that concern me right now.

The green bit should be pretty easy to fix, and the red bit shouldn't be too hard with some body filler applied, but the orange part will take a lot of work to do and I've no idea how I'd go about fixing the blue part yet.  So, it may be that I'll have to put up with an inaccurate helmet for now (which is something that pains me a little to say).  At least I didn't plan to apply to join the 501st.

Still, I guess this is what I get when I go for a free model I found rather then looking for a high quality payware one.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2011, 05:27:51 AM »
Had a break from working on it these past couple of weeks, but I've been working on it again this week focusing on the back.  Nearly finished it now, just a few more bits to cut out and stick on.  I decided to stick the visor section on even though I won't be able to see out of it as I wanted to keep the shape of the front better, rather then have it moving about all the time and straining the joints.

Rune

• Commander
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2011, 10:50:02 AM »
Looking good! What material are you using for the helmet?

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander

Commando_Orange

• Lieutenant
  • Your favorite buddy.
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2011, 05:41:21 PM »
Stang. That's good work. Can't wait to see it done.
When you gotta, you gotta go. - Ian Malcolm - Jurassic Park

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2011, 07:53:38 AM »
Great news, the helmet is done!  Unfortunately the lip underneath is too wide for me to fit it over my head so I might trim it a bit, but otherwise its great.

Now its time to decide what to do next.  I currently have 3 choices to choose from:

1. Start work on another part of the CP armour (most likely chest).

2. Start work on an RC helmet.

3. Buy some resin and fibreglass and start work on reinforcing and then hopefully modifying the helmet to make it more accurate.

The first option is tempting but lack of storage space is holding me back from going straight to it.  The second is also tempting and may be the one I go for.  The third is the one which will likely involve the most work and will require me to go out and buy extra stuff (I already have everything I need for the other two), plus the weather I don't think is particularly good right now for resin/fibreglassing as not only is it cold and windy but its been raining off-and-on these past few days.

Any way, I'll have a think about it and see what I think once I've done a few touch-ups to my CP helmet (mostly re-sticking tabs and re-enforcing joints with paper).

EDIT

OK, I've decided to go for the RC bucket for now.  Until I get a bigger under-bed storage box and until the weather heats up a bit I'm not going to try the other two options just yet.  Plu I'm really in the mood for an RC build right now after finally finding a decent free Pepakura file of the RC helmet.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 12:22:26 PM by flyboy424 »

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2011, 05:40:59 PM »
Trimmed off half an inch around the lip at the bottom of the helmet today so I could fit it over my head.  It was a real pain to take the picture as obviously I can't see through the visor so I had to use the tiny gaps at the joins to line the shot up roughly and hope for the best (only took 2 takes so good result overall I'd say!).

Unit 899

• Major
  • Wassup.
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2011, 05:42:17 PM »
Lookin good, flyboy, Can't wait to see the RC helm!

Quote from: Eparavu
Then out of nowhere you are like I AM THE GODDAMN BRONY BATMAN.
Quote from: N-11
Better to post infrequently and have good things to say, then to post all the time and say a lot of useless crap.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2011, 05:45:57 PM »
The RC helm is coming along as well.  The model I have is much simpler then the CP one, but it also seems so far to be much smaller.  As it happens I also found a really, really good quality free model of the RC helmet today which puts the one I'm using to shame, so I may use the one I'm making now for airbrush testing (when I get one) and then have it simply as a decoration rather then wearable armour as I originally planned.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2011, 03:12:21 PM »
No update on the RC bucket right now as I don't really have anything new to show yet.  I do however have some stuff on costing I did today which I think you will all find interesting.

So, first of all the cost of raw materials.  So far this has only been card and glue (I could include printer ink, cutting board, craft knife, etc; but these are all things I had already) and the cost of these is 15.42 ($24.70).

Now, as I bought a pack of 250 sheets of card and I didn't use all of the glue it obviously didn't cost all of that to make the helmet.  So, I've broken it down and for the 20 sheets of card I used and about 1/3 of the glue stick I have the total comes to 1.73 ($2.77) for the entire CP helmet.  For a helmet that is wearable, that is a very good price, however this is also just a cardboard model right now.  The costs will rise drastically once I begin building it up with fibreglass and car body filler.  So far I have shopping list totalling 95.44 ($152.88) of things I will need, and even then that isn't a complete list as I will have to re-stock certain supplies (like glue and fibreglass) so the total cost will rise even more.  Having said that, the 2 biggest expenses will be the airbrush kit and rotary tool kit which become more cost-effective the more armour I make, thus reducing the total cost per armour piece.

So, I think looking somewhere around the 100 ($160) mark is a reasonable assumption for the cost of a complete kit.  I'll be sure to put an updated price up once I have finished so you all know roughly how much you'll need to invest should you decide to have a go yourselves.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2011, 10:47:07 AM »
Time for an update on the RC helmet now. Progress has been slow once again due to me focusing on other things lately, however today I went and did a load on the right side of the helmet.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2011, 07:34:32 AM »
I've still got some gluing to do inside, and there are still a couple more detail pieces I have yet to cut-out and glue on, but for the most part the RC helmet is done!  Its a bit too small for me as it only just fits on my head, and I have to put it on a special way in order to get my glasses past the cheek indents, but at least it is wearable.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2011, 10:00:30 AM »
Another post with another picture now.  Decided to take a side-by-side pic of my RC and CP helmets to show off their difference in sizes.  I'd say the RC is a tad too small and the CP is a smidgen on the large size for me.  Hopefully now that I have some experience I can have a go at scaling my next one to be just right.

Speaking of my next project, I guess its time to decide.  I've got somewhere now I can temporarily store armour pieces now so I could have a go at starting off the rest of the Clone Pilot stuff.  However, I have also been quite interested lately in doing something non-Star Wars.  Right now I'm thinking a set of Halo armour, probably ONI Recon (think a male version of Dare's armour).  I've already got all the pep files lined up for it, so it'd just be a case of printing out the pieces and working the same as before.  The main problem is I only just have enough room to display 2 helmets right now, so once the Recon one is done I'd have to find somewhere else to store whichever helmet I decide not to display.

Laney97

Re: Flyboy's Clone Pilot armour + RC helmet
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2011, 05:32:14 PM »
That difference in size is larger than I thought.

Your doing good, flyboy!

Delta 42

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2011, 05:37:55 PM »
Do the ONI recon. Dare's cool.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2012, 01:53:38 PM »
So, since I last posted I had a go at 2 ONI chest pieces from Halo, both of which turned out to be a bit too small (going to really need to get to grips with scaling soon) and have mostly done an ODST forearm (although its just sitting around at the moment with a few bits missing).

I've been wanting to get back to the CP build recently and looked at doing the forearm, but looking closely at the Pepakura file I have its not very accurate plus there appears to be some really fiddly bits.  I've been looking around for new files, but its been very hard to get any for a Phase I CT armour (the CP armour is the same as CT, just with a different helmet and the addition of the chest box).  I've been searching around for a few hours and come up empty.

Unfortunately, Pepakura Collection (the Wiki-based site I got the files from in the first place) pulled all its SW files down last year and there has been nothing said as to why or when to expect more to go up, if they ever will.  Fierfek on the Replica Prop Forums has done a good job of providing lots of free pep files, but the Clone stuff he has so far all appears to be Phase II.

Anyway, I got a new smartphone a few weeks back with a much better camera on it so if anyone wants better quality pics of either of my helmets post what you want and I'll see what I can do.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2012, 04:56:11 PM »
Well, I decided today to pep a piece of CT shin armour.  I decided the default scaling looked about right and now I have the completed item I think it was.  It is a little hard to slip on and off at the thinnest part, however it more-or-less fits perfectly so all I have to do is work out how to make one for my other leg (probably just reverse all the folds) as there is only one leg of shin armour to download.

Fettishist

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2012, 04:43:04 PM »
Wow, the armor prototyping project is fantastic Flyboy!

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2012, 04:48:49 PM »
I see your rug and overt British propaganda!

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

RC-1499

• Lieutenant
  • Nau vak'to, dralshye'raj
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2012, 05:44:03 PM »
Them darn Brits!

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
Re: Flyboy's Clone Pilot + RC armour
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2012, 03:07:03 PM »
Today I got back into pepping with an RC chest piece.  As I'm still quite new with the software I decided not to try to scale it even though I thought it might be a bit too small and I was right, so like the RC helmet I'll use it as a test piece for fibreglassing, and I may use it to come up with a custom colour scheme.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2012, 01:06:52 PM »
I did a Clone Trooper chest piece of my CP build over the weekend and here are the pics for it.

And a test fit with my helmet (very pleased with this pic!):

I'm happy with how the chest turned out as it was my first successful attempt at scaling in Pepakura.   While it maybe could have been a centimetre or two wider, its a very good fit overall and nothing I shouldn't be able to adjust later on in the build.

Also, I ordered a fibreglass kit today so hopefully over the weekend (depending on if I can get myself away from Ghost Recon Future Soldier ;) ) I will have a go at doing a few test pieces before starting on my CP build.

GOODYSMOODY

• Sergeant
  • Sev's biggest competition.
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2012, 04:31:02 AM »
So cool, wish I had your talent.
Looks very nice, cant wait to see the end result and fiberglass peices :D
'That'll make 'em think twice...maybe even three times,' Scorch after blowing up trandos with a turret.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2012, 04:44:18 PM »
Using Pepakura isn't really that hard.  All you need to know is how to print onto card, cut and fold along lines and stick edges together by numbers.

I have 2 updates today.  First, I have finished pepping the back piece for my CP armour.

I hope tomorrow to get one of my parents to take a pic of me with the chest, back and helmet all on.

Second, I tested out the resin and fibreglass yesterday that I got.  I had a couple of test pieces to use it on and so far I've learnt that I probably put a bit too much resin on with each layer, I need to leave it in the sun to get it to dry fastest, and I much prefer the thin fibreglass tissue then the fibreglass matt as while while the matt has much better strength it is also horrible to work with and harder to get into corners so I'll likely use the tissue on my helmet (probably doubling-up the layers too for added strength) and use the matt only for simpler bits like the chest.  I'm hoping to start work on resining my CP helmet soon, but I'm out of latex gloves right now and I don't know if I'll get time next weekend to do anything.

GOODYSMOODY

• Sergeant
  • Sev's biggest competition.
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2012, 01:55:11 AM »
Well I'm gonna give it a try. Hopefully I'll get  a hot glue gun soon for the harder and more precise stuff.
 Really nice work btw, your doing great :D
'That'll make 'em think twice...maybe even three times,' Scorch after blowing up trandos with a turret.

Dha'ward Krayt

• Major
  • IMMA CRAB!!!
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2012, 01:01:20 AM »
Looking good boyo.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2012, 06:20:12 PM »
On Saturday I began to resin my Clone Pilot helmet.  Following the results of the test pieces I did last week I applied thinner layers of resin then before and thankfully it dried rather quickly while still stiffening the helmet slightly.  I didn't get to fully fibreglass the inside so only the dome at the top is done, and even with just one layer of the thin cloth inside I was surprised this morning when I held it just how strong it was.  I'm still going to use the thicker matting on the chest piece (which I partially resined as well) but for the helmet I may abandon the idea of applying multiple layers of cloth and just stick with the one if the rest of the helmet has the same strength.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2012, 12:26:39 PM »
Had a day off work today so I did more work on the helmet.  Since it looks like summer has finally arrived here in the UK I might take the opportunity to finish fibreglassing it, but that may depend on how much more of the ear pieces I get done.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2012, 06:13:45 PM »
As those who are my friends on Facebook should know, this week has seen one of the biggest changes to my helmet so far.  I've cut off everything from the ears back (with the exception of the dome on the top) and over the past week have begun reconstructing it manually.  I've not bothered with Pepakura this time, I've just used the few reference photos there are of the helmet and done it all by eye.  Here is the progress so far.

Helmet with old parts cut out:

Reconstruction work so far:

I've made a few more changes since taking the pics (most noticeable is the angle at which the back of the new back part sits) and this week I also got some P38 car body filler (UK equivalent to Bondo) in preparation for when I'll need it (which is looking further and further away at the moment).

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2012, 12:32:23 PM »
Latest progress on the build and getting very close to re-resining now.  First, I rounded off the back end as it was very flat before.

Then I did some more work on the right ear.  Still needs a bit more work IMO to match it to the left ear, but its much better then it was before.

Finally I just started remaking the rim around the bottom.  I've kept it short to ease getting into and out of the helmet while still leaving enough space to attach magnets which a proper neck seal will attach to.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2012, 05:08:19 PM »
Been working little bits each evening on my helmet and I'm very nearly at a stage where I'm done with the cardboard construction work.  Hopefully tomorrow I'll finish off the right ear, re-do the chin and basically get it at a stage where on Saturday and Sunday I can take advantage of the break in the recent wet weather and do some resin and fibreglass work.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2012, 06:49:16 AM »
I got more done since my last post with the back of the helmet mostly finished and the chin completely redone, as well as applying resin to the whole thing.  I don't have any pics of it yet though.

I do, however, have a pic of my new effort on the chest piece as my current one has become a little deformed (as a result of its bad storage) plus I have been going over as many reference pics as I can find and I'm not entirely happy with the overall shape of my current chest piece so I'm starting from scratch.  I'm ditching Pepakura from now on as I can't find good enough files to use and instead going from hand-drawn templates.  I'm hoping that because I don't have work this week I can get at least the chest and possibly the back done.  Here is my progress so far:

Right now its just made out of paper as I want to preserve my cardboard for the final templates.  Its also my 3rd revision since I started yesterday afternoon.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2012, 01:22:19 PM »
I used the good weather on Tuesday to fibreglass my helmet some more but couldn't finish as I've begun to run out of supplies like gloves and disposable cups.  I'm going to pick up more over the weekend and hopefully finish it off next week.

In the meantime I've been doing more work on my new chest piece.

I've also begun using Google Picasa Web to store my photos and have created an album for them which can be found here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/103229789563758596776/ClonePilotBuild?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNDZ0bvQmMDxbg&feat=directlink

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2013, 07:40:10 AM »
It's starting to look like I won't finsih my CP Phase I armour in time for Celebration Europe II due to a lack of decent reference pics, so instead I started working this week on something else:

Its still a little rough, and missing key bits (like the ears, the back of the head, and the neckseal...), but hopefully by the end of next week it'll be at a stage where I can put it into Pepakura.