Author Topic: Flyboy's Clone Pilot + RC armour  (Read 54488 times)

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
  • Lock S-Foils in attack position.
Re: Flyboy's Clone Pilot armour
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2011, 05:32:09 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but I've just done a proper comparison between the Pepakura model I'm using for my build and the model used in Attack of the Clones and the full scale of the inaccuracy has become clear to me now.  As you can see in the pic below, I've highlighted the key differences that will need to be changed in order to achieve good accuracy to the film.

In green at the top you can see the recessed bit doesn't go back as far in the movie as it does on the pep model.

In red at the front the helmet the yellow part can also bee seen to be a different shape, not only in a larger angled bit but also a slightly recessed bit running up the middle of the helmet.

In blue the top of the ear cover is completely the wrong shape and in orange the recessed parts are much larger in the movie then on the pep model.

I have also noticed a few other smaller things (like the depth of the visor into the helmet being way too much in the pep model) but the ones highlighted are the big ones that concern me right now.

The green bit should be pretty easy to fix, and the red bit shouldn't be too hard with some body filler applied, but the orange part will take a lot of work to do and I've no idea how I'd go about fixing the blue part yet.  So, it may be that I'll have to put up with an inaccurate helmet for now (which is something that pains me a little to say).  At least I didn't plan to apply to join the 501st.

Still, I guess this is what I get when I go for a free model I found rather then looking for a high quality payware one.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clone Pilot armour project: helmet, chest - pepped.
RC helmet: done.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2011, 05:27:51 AM »
Had a break from working on it these past couple of weeks, but I've been working on it again this week focusing on the back.  Nearly finished it now, just a few more bits to cut out and stick on.  I decided to stick the visor section on even though I won't be able to see out of it as I wanted to keep the shape of the front better, rather then have it moving about all the time and straining the joints.

Rune

• Official Site Mir'shebs
  • Commander
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2011, 10:50:02 AM »
Looking good! What material are you using for the helmet?

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander

Commando_Orange

• Lieutenant
  • Your favorite buddy.
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2011, 05:41:21 PM »
Stang. That's good work. Can't wait to see it done.
When you gotta, you gotta go. - Ian Malcolm - Jurassic Park

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2011, 07:53:38 AM »
Great news, the helmet is done!  Unfortunately the lip underneath is too wide for me to fit it over my head so I might trim it a bit, but otherwise its great.

Now its time to decide what to do next.  I currently have 3 choices to choose from:

1. Start work on another part of the CP armour (most likely chest).

2. Start work on an RC helmet.

3. Buy some resin and fibreglass and start work on reinforcing and then hopefully modifying the helmet to make it more accurate.

The first option is tempting but lack of storage space is holding me back from going straight to it.  The second is also tempting and may be the one I go for.  The third is the one which will likely involve the most work and will require me to go out and buy extra stuff (I already have everything I need for the other two), plus the weather I don't think is particularly good right now for resin/fibreglassing as not only is it cold and windy but its been raining off-and-on these past few days.

Any way, I'll have a think about it and see what I think once I've done a few touch-ups to my CP helmet (mostly re-sticking tabs and re-enforcing joints with paper).

EDIT

OK, I've decided to go for the RC bucket for now.  Until I get a bigger under-bed storage box and until the weather heats up a bit I'm not going to try the other two options just yet.  Plu I'm really in the mood for an RC build right now after finally finding a decent free Pepakura file of the RC helmet.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 12:22:26 PM by flyboy424 »

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2011, 05:40:59 PM »
Trimmed off half an inch around the lip at the bottom of the helmet today so I could fit it over my head.  It was a real pain to take the picture as obviously I can't see through the visor so I had to use the tiny gaps at the joins to line the shot up roughly and hope for the best (only took 2 takes so good result overall I'd say!).

Unit 899

• Major
  • Wassup.
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2011, 05:42:17 PM »
Lookin good, flyboy, Can't wait to see the RC helm!

Quote from: Eparavu
Then out of nowhere you are like I AM THE GODDAMN BRONY BATMAN.
Quote from: N-11
Better to post infrequently and have good things to say, then to post all the time and say a lot of useless crap.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2011, 05:45:57 PM »
The RC helm is coming along as well.  The model I have is much simpler then the CP one, but it also seems so far to be much smaller.  As it happens I also found a really, really good quality free model of the RC helmet today which puts the one I'm using to shame, so I may use the one I'm making now for airbrush testing (when I get one) and then have it simply as a decoration rather then wearable armour as I originally planned.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2011, 03:12:21 PM »
No update on the RC bucket right now as I don't really have anything new to show yet.  I do however have some stuff on costing I did today which I think you will all find interesting.

So, first of all the cost of raw materials.  So far this has only been card and glue (I could include printer ink, cutting board, craft knife, etc; but these are all things I had already) and the cost of these is 15.42 ($24.70).

Now, as I bought a pack of 250 sheets of card and I didn't use all of the glue it obviously didn't cost all of that to make the helmet.  So, I've broken it down and for the 20 sheets of card I used and about 1/3 of the glue stick I have the total comes to 1.73 ($2.77) for the entire CP helmet.  For a helmet that is wearable, that is a very good price, however this is also just a cardboard model right now.  The costs will rise drastically once I begin building it up with fibreglass and car body filler.  So far I have shopping list totalling 95.44 ($152.88) of things I will need, and even then that isn't a complete list as I will have to re-stock certain supplies (like glue and fibreglass) so the total cost will rise even more.  Having said that, the 2 biggest expenses will be the airbrush kit and rotary tool kit which become more cost-effective the more armour I make, thus reducing the total cost per armour piece.

So, I think looking somewhere around the 100 ($160) mark is a reasonable assumption for the cost of a complete kit.  I'll be sure to put an updated price up once I have finished so you all know roughly how much you'll need to invest should you decide to have a go yourselves.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2011, 10:47:07 AM »
Time for an update on the RC helmet now. Progress has been slow once again due to me focusing on other things lately, however today I went and did a load on the right side of the helmet.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2011, 07:34:32 AM »
I've still got some gluing to do inside, and there are still a couple more detail pieces I have yet to cut-out and glue on, but for the most part the RC helmet is done!  Its a bit too small for me as it only just fits on my head, and I have to put it on a special way in order to get my glasses past the cheek indents, but at least it is wearable.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2011, 10:00:30 AM »
Another post with another picture now.  Decided to take a side-by-side pic of my RC and CP helmets to show off their difference in sizes.  I'd say the RC is a tad too small and the CP is a smidgen on the large size for me.  Hopefully now that I have some experience I can have a go at scaling my next one to be just right.

Speaking of my next project, I guess its time to decide.  I've got somewhere now I can temporarily store armour pieces now so I could have a go at starting off the rest of the Clone Pilot stuff.  However, I have also been quite interested lately in doing something non-Star Wars.  Right now I'm thinking a set of Halo armour, probably ONI Recon (think a male version of Dare's armour).  I've already got all the pep files lined up for it, so it'd just be a case of printing out the pieces and working the same as before.  The main problem is I only just have enough room to display 2 helmets right now, so once the Recon one is done I'd have to find somewhere else to store whichever helmet I decide not to display.

Laney97

Re: Flyboy's Clone Pilot armour + RC helmet
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2011, 05:32:14 PM »
That difference in size is larger than I thought.

Your doing good, flyboy!

Delta 42

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2011, 05:37:55 PM »
Do the ONI recon. Dare's cool.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2012, 01:53:38 PM »
So, since I last posted I had a go at 2 ONI chest pieces from Halo, both of which turned out to be a bit too small (going to really need to get to grips with scaling soon) and have mostly done an ODST forearm (although its just sitting around at the moment with a few bits missing).

I've been wanting to get back to the CP build recently and looked at doing the forearm, but looking closely at the Pepakura file I have its not very accurate plus there appears to be some really fiddly bits.  I've been looking around for new files, but its been very hard to get any for a Phase I CT armour (the CP armour is the same as CT, just with a different helmet and the addition of the chest box).  I've been searching around for a few hours and come up empty.

Unfortunately, Pepakura Collection (the Wiki-based site I got the files from in the first place) pulled all its SW files down last year and there has been nothing said as to why or when to expect more to go up, if they ever will.  Fierfek on the Replica Prop Forums has done a good job of providing lots of free pep files, but the Clone stuff he has so far all appears to be Phase II.

Anyway, I got a new smartphone a few weeks back with a much better camera on it so if anyone wants better quality pics of either of my helmets post what you want and I'll see what I can do.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2012, 04:56:11 PM »
Well, I decided today to pep a piece of CT shin armour.  I decided the default scaling looked about right and now I have the completed item I think it was.  It is a little hard to slip on and off at the thinnest part, however it more-or-less fits perfectly so all I have to do is work out how to make one for my other leg (probably just reverse all the folds) as there is only one leg of shin armour to download.

Fettishist

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2012, 04:43:04 PM »
Wow, the armor prototyping project is fantastic Flyboy!

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2012, 04:48:49 PM »
I see your rug and overt British propaganda!

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

RC-1499

• Lieutenant
  • Nau vak'to, dralshye'raj
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2012, 05:44:03 PM »
Them darn Brits!