Poll

What was your most epic/rememberable moment in the Commando novels?

The fight between Vau and Atin.
Vau being left behind on Mygeeto.
Ko Sai's suicide.
Kal meets Nulls.
Etain dies.
Niner falls of the bridge.
Fi getting in a coma.
Darman & Etain having a love affair.
Darman killing other clones.
Ennen's suicide.
Sev got MIA.
Mij killing Dred.
Besany saving Fi.
The speeder chase saving Jilka
Kad gives toy on Etain's funeral.
Etain meets Darman

Author Topic: Favourite moment  (Read 25405 times)

IC-1989

• Brothers All Archiver
  • Commander
  • Warning! Commando At Work!
Favourite moment
« on: February 11, 2010, 05:36:27 PM »
Okay this is going to start as a messy topic. But it will work out eventually.
You've got 5 votes, one for each book but you can vote for more moments in one book.
If you know one that isn't on the list > please post! I'll add it later and you can change your vote.

Scorch8015

• Lieutenant
Re: Favourite moment
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 06:15:30 PM »
All right. I voted for the fight between Vau and Atin, when Vau is left behind on Mygeeto, Fi getting in a coma, Besany saving Fi, and Sev going MIA (listed in chronological order rather than emotional impact order because that would involve more psychoanalyzing of myself than I am willing to do).

I liked reading  the fight between Vau and Atin, because I thought it was a very dramatic scene with Vau insisting that what he did was all really for Atin's own good to make him a tough soldier and Atin being so determined to revenge himself on the man who was so brutal to him and gave him those scars. You can tell just how much Vau's training methods damaged Atin there, but you can also see that Vau firmly believes that what he did was the right thing to do, and I think that is a hard scene to forget. Sure, the arguments between Skirata and Vau have a similiar core, but I think the fight with Atin has more impact because Atin suffered far more as a result of Vau's methods than Skirata did.

I liked reading the entire bit where Vau was left behind on Mygeeto, because I liked the fact that from Vau's narration we can see that he does genuinely care about his men but he has trouble expressing that, I like the fact that it gives Sev a chance to be troubled by the idea of abandoning a fellow soldier which hits extra hard I think if you know as you read what is going to happen to him on Kashyyyk, and I like the fact that Skirata works so hard to save the life of a man he would gladly punch in the face if given half an excuse. All that combines to make a memorable experience for me.

I admit that I am a big Fi fan, and I just love his personality and his jokes always make me laugh, so it actually brought tears to my eyes when Fi got into his coma, because it was painful to think that someone so eloquent could be silenced for so long, and I just loved how Omega stood up against the medics for his sake. That was very touching to me, but, as I say,  I am a Fi fan.

Again, I found the scene with Besany fighting to have Fi not get euthanized like an animal because I found it really sad that a human life could really be seen like a product and I liked seeing Besany fight for him and show that she had more strength than I intially gave her credit for.

I liked reading the scene where Sev goes MIA, because Traviss writes it really well, in my opinion, and I just got tears in my eyes again, especially when I thought about how upset Sev was when they abandoned Vau on Mygeeto.

So, there you have my explanations for why I voted as I did. 

Ky'ram Parjai'Kote

• Disgruntled MMORPG
  • Commander
  • Hates Bioware officially.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 08:10:57 PM »
Vau and Atin fight, Etain's death, Mij vs. Dred, Fi's coma, and Ennen's suicide.

Yeah, Sev didn't really suspend me, it was in RepCom...
Lists of games I play:
-- Star Trek Online
-- KOTOR (1 and 2)
-- SWTOR
-- Terraria
-- TF2
-- Magicka
-- Left 4 Dead 2
-- Garry's Mod
And nearly any other F2P game on this planet.

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 08:33:51 PM »
nothing here... all of HC would count as my fave moment, although the speeder chase saving Jilka is a close second...
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

Riotv2

• Captain
  • Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 08:51:25 PM »
Hmmm... Not my favorite, it would be way to much to discuss those, but one of the most memorable is when Kad places his toy on his mothers funeral pyer.
Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade.

A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead."

-------------------------------

Remember...the EU will be with you...always.

Scorch8015

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 09:05:14 PM »
The Mij against Dred scene in Imperial Commando was cool, and Ennen's suicide was sad, although I think it would have cut me up more if I had gotten to know him better as a character.

The speeder chase saving Jilka in Order 66 was hair-raising, as well.

That moment when Kad places his toy on his mother's funeral pyre totally made me cry:(

IC-1989

• Brothers All Archiver
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 06:12:49 AM »
nothing here... all of HC would count as my fave moment, although the speeder chase saving Jilka is a close second...
Just name your fav. moments of Hard Contact and I'll add them ;)

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 10:25:13 PM »
hmm... I'm having trouble picking one... the stealing of the explosives? Or maybe the assault on the compound...
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

Riotv2

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 09:52:08 AM »
when Etain first meets Darmin and only senses a child-like presence.

A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead."

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 08:54:22 PM »
Any part involving Mereel or Ordo doing what needs to be done. And when the boys pulled their superteam up bit at the end of Triple Zero......On another note. I also got a kick out of Jaina Solo meeting Bard'ika in the LotF series.
The  purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in
defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more
important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

Drake and I agreed on something. Somebody get the camera out to capture the moment.

jatne

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 05:46:37 PM »
How about when darman beat kal? That threw me off.
Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade

Riotv2

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 09:37:44 PM »
After Kal gets the nulls alone in his room in tipoca, and Jango comes to the door. Ordo and Mereel (?) post on either side of the door and kal nearly wets himself (not in a good way) over how well trained they are at that early of an age.

Commando Sev

• Private
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 05:56:35 PM »
Etain dying. So epic. Or whenever Sev pwns someone...
"Boss, hold onto your guts while I rip out theirs."
~RC-1207 "Sev"

Cassa_Mirdala'Kotep

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 09:33:21 PM »
lots of awesomely epic moments in the books
Darman's crash landing in Hard Contact, his reactions to the day wings dying, his first meeting with Etaine, Niner Fi and Atin stealing the explosives and Niner riding on top of them to the compound. The last fight Atin and Dr Quail Uthen get hit by the same shot, Atin's armor pieces getting her, then Etaine facing off against Zey to save Niner and Fi.

Too many good moments in the other books. I'd drive folks nuts writing it all here. ;)

Take care everyone !

"Ash" thanks to Mereel!

Cassa_Mirdala'Kotep

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 04:10:01 PM »
*pokes thread with toe*
Where is everyone with your favorite moments? :)

"Ash" thanks to Mereel!

Fenn Shysa

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 11:27:46 AM »
*pokes thread with toe*

Hey... what the.... was that a foot? 
Egad... I just got kicked by some Mando... WTF?

[- You're obviously not part of Satine's Pacifist Sect.]

Anyways... from the list; my favorite moment would be when Kal met the Nulls. I loved that scene. When Ordo and his brothers put on the scared act while they were lifting Kal's blaster. And Jengo and Kal both instantly agreeing that the Nulls had the right stuff.

Another scene I loved (not on the list) was the skirmish between Ghez Hokan and Omega, (Niner and Fi - I think). I loved how Ghez proved to be a tough adversary and went down swinging. (e.g. using the EMP to knock out the commandos buyces; and basically, getting the drop on Niner and getting in spitting distance of killing him.)
-I like Ghez's whole character. - He was hard-assed Mando-mofo who knew tactics and counter attacks, etc; and never let Uthan forget that she needed him more than he needed her.

Other scenes on that list were pretty cool. Some I liked and some I didn't. I honestly cannot remember the speeder chase saving Jilka; but, a lot people seem to agree that it was good.

Kad, and the toy, at Etain's funeral was definitely a tear-jerker.

I honestly didn't care for the Mij killing Dred scene. - It seemed so unnecessary and kind of of just thrown into a relatively boring book just to make it more "exciting" - Without ever seeing (i.e. reading) why Mij was so personally pissed at Dred; I couldn't really feel his angst.

Vau and Atin's fight was cool. I liked how Jusik broke it up playing his "Jedi-General" card; and Vau was just like, "yeah.. that doesn't work on me anymore"

Some other cool scenes were when Ordo and Etain encountered the Gurlain (I can't remember her name); when Besany saving Fi was absolutely awesome !
I also liked when Vau, Etain, and Mird killed the terrorist/diplomat guy in triple-0.

I loved all of Odds - with the whole sabotaging the droid manufacturing.

I loved all of Targets - with the rapid entry / hostage rescue, etc. (Fi saving the CSF boys).

[-Man, I could go on all day.]
"I find your lack of faith distrubing."

Riotv2

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 04:39:37 PM »
Fi sitting around pulling the trim off of a Kama he got from an AWOL ARC, so it would match his set of "Hokan Armor". For some reason that always stuck with me.

IC-1989

• Brothers All Archiver
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 10:29:53 AM »
Wasn't that in True Colors?

Riotv2

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 12:52:39 PM »
Yea I think so. I'm at the end of another book trilogy at the moment, but after that I'm going to re-read the Rep Com books again...Man i can't wait.

Baka-Baka

• Private
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 06:18:21 PM »
"Niner falls off the bridge." I don't know why, but that just struck me as epically funny. Maybe it was the wording. :D
...Did you say something?