Author Topic: You as a Mandalorian  (Read 71989 times)

shadowxander

• Major
  • Te racin ka'ra juaan kote.
Re: You as a Mandalorian
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2011, 03:04:30 AM »
As for the T visor. Although there have been canon variations (only in the KOTOR Crusaders BTW), the T visor is always there or descernable even if it's not a full T. The T is the constant. Mando's have worn 100% custom armor, bone armor, durasteel armor, beskar armor, standardized armor and colors etc through canon photoand written descritpion but one thing theyve always had regardless of era, interpretation, character, wrtitten description etc. is the T visor. Other designs and make ups have changed but the T is constant. It is the single most defining characteristic of the Mandalorian warriors.

Except in the instances of Mandalorians of certain alien species with whom the design of the T-shaped visor would be impractical to their physiology—Rodians come to mind—and rare individual designs that no doubt reflect the wearer's specific preferences, notably the much more triangularly shaped visor employed by Hondo Karr.  I'll concede the point of the stylistic evolution from T to triangle in the latter's case, but the art in question possesses a visor design quite similar to the Mandalorian helmet taken up by Revan.
Kandosii sa kyr'am ast
Troan teroch jetiise a'den
Duraan vi at ara'nov
Vode an, ka'rta tor!

A'den Skirata

• Major
  • Keldabe kiss anyone?Club
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2011, 11:11:34 AM »
Yes, I mentioned some canon variation there. And yes Hondo's has a much wider viewscreen, I make those and wear one myself in fact but, it's still abstractly a T. As for Revan's and this one... quite different. Revan's mask while essentially a horizontal bar has a shape and rebreathers, venting etc. that allow the eye to abstractly matrix the T shape. The one in the art has a smooth faceplate with something that look like metal teeth on the bottom.
Personnel Officer Mandalorian Mercs Costuming Club. Ver'alor Manda'galaar Aliit.
www.mandalorianmercs.com
myspace.com/jaingskirata
http://mercs.firespray.net/wiki/index.php?title=A%27den_Skirata

Talo

• Captain
  • "Walk with doom, brother."
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2011, 06:14:48 PM »
You are operating under the false impression that the armor makes the man when it is quite the opposite. There is even a Mandalorian saying that says something along those lines:

"A warrior is more than his armor." (Taken from Wikipedia.)

While out of universe it makes sense to have a dress code because your building from the original Mandalorian Boba Fett, having something people recognize is important so having a dress code would be equally important. In-universe it makes less sense. Mandalorians are not interested in dress codes and whether or not your helmet has a' T', but for people willing to live the Mandalorian way. The T is a tradition not a necessity.

We can agree to disagree but that's how it stands.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 06:18:11 PM by Talo »

Eparavu

• Captain
  • ALWAYS
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2011, 11:27:01 PM »
I'm the Personnel Officer at www.mandalorianmercs.com, my job is to be that guy!

I know dude, I'm Beviin Atin Eparavu. I'm not official, but I would hope you recognize the name.

No hate here, only creeper love.
Watching you through your windows.
Staring from a distance.
Always watching.
Always loving.
ALWAYS.

shadowxander

• Major
  • Te racin ka'ra juaan kote.
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2011, 11:50:32 PM »
Yes, I mentioned some canon variation there. And yes Hondo's has a much wider viewscreen, I make those and wear one myself in fact but, it's still abstractly a T.

I've seen your helmets.  You do a great job on those, by the way.  Professional quality.
And as I said, I won't argue that the triangular shape of Hondo's helmet is a stylistic evolution of the standard T-shape.  But aside from whatever those cylindrical pieces are on the art piece's helmet, I don't see all that much difference between that one and the design Revan wore.  The "teeth" are simply a stylistic addition, possibly as a reflection of whatever species the Mandalorian comes from.

While out of universe it makes sense to have a dress code because your building from the original Mandalorian Boba Fett, having something people recognize is important so having a dress code would be equally important. In-universe it makes less sense. Mandalorians are not interested in dress codes and whether or not your helmet has a' T', but for people willing to live the Mandalorian way. The T is a tradition not a necessity.

Well, you're correct...to a point.  As stated a few times throughout the Republic Commando books, and once or twice in the Legacy of the Force books as well, if I'm not mistaken, a secondary purpose of Mandalorian armor is its unique, identifying design.  While there are variations, the general design has become something of a unifying symbol that enables beings from several hundred or even thousand different species to all have some semblance of being the same.  An outward manifestation of being Mandalorian, if you will.
Kandosii sa kyr'am ast
Troan teroch jetiise a'den
Duraan vi at ara'nov
Vode an, ka'rta tor!

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
  • Nulla e reale, tutto e lecito
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2011, 01:35:33 AM »
I equate to force users to the likes of Superman. All these extra powers that make them beyond what the rest of us can be or even ffully comprehend. I equate Mando's to Batman... regluar schmucks (in that no special powers) with kick butt gear and the ability to take a Superman down a notch if needed.
Hey, that's exactly the same metaphor I use to explain to certain people who don't understand how I can like Jedi and Mandos!  Cool. :D

Putting Superman in Batman's costume or giving Batman Superman's powers is silly. So is the Jedi Mando thing.
But each has, on occasion, ended up awesome!  Just saying. lolz

As stated a few times throughout the Republic Commando books, and once or twice in the Legacy of the Force books as well, if I'm not mistaken, a secondary purpose of Mandalorian armor is its unique, identifying design.  While there are variations, the general design has become something of a unifying symbol that enables beings from several hundred or even thousand different species to all have some semblance of being the same.  An outward manifestation of being Mandalorian, if you will.
"There are two reasons why we have to wear armor.  One is so that we don't get killed too easily.  The other is so that we all
look Mandalorian, however different we may be from our brothers and sisters."
— Mandalorian mother, explaining one of the Resol'nare—the six obligations of Mandalorian identity—to her daughter.
^That's the opening quote from Chapter 16 of "Order 66".
"To say nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

dredwulf60

• Republic Provost Marshal
  • "Show me your hands...and other appendages..."
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2011, 06:58:37 AM »
To me it's like Outlaw Bikers wearing their colours.

They don't need it to do what they do, but to partake in the notoriety of the organization they belong to, they need to be identifyable.  One method is the mythosaur skull another is the 'T' visor.

There are probably a LOT of merc/bounty hunter types in the Star Wars galaxy who wear armoured suits of various types.  When Leia showed up in her boush disguise at Jabba's Palace...no one was tempted to see her as a Mandalorian for example.

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2011, 12:01:33 AM »
To me it's like Outlaw Bikers wearing their colours.

They don't need it to do what they do, but to partake in the notoriety of the organization they belong to, they need to be identifyable.  One method is the mythosaur skull another is the 'T' visor.

There are probably a LOT of merc/bounty hunter types in the Star Wars galaxy who wear armoured suits of various types.  When Leia showed up in her boush disguise at Jabba's Palace...no one was tempted to see her as a Mandalorian for example.
Sheesh, again with the biker comparisons...
Just kidding. :P  That's a good point.
"To say nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

dredwulf60

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2011, 06:25:58 AM »
Sheesh, again with the biker comparisons...
Just kidding. :P  That's a good point.

Sorry.  For me, the Outlaw Biker profile fits the Mandalorian profile in so very many ways!

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2011, 01:48:53 AM »
Sorry.  For me, the Outlaw Biker profile fits the Mandalorian profile in so very many ways!
No, no, I totally get it.  Just teasing. ;)

Alu Darce89

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2011, 03:55:38 PM »
I whole heartedly agree with A'den Skirata.

As all of you said, It's a form of Indentity, Which clearly shows alot in the Karen Traviss novels, escpecially in the first Republic Commando book, when Etain meets the commandos for the first time, she thinks it's the mandalorian who killed her master because of the T-shaped visors on their helmets. In- universe that's how were identified as being mandalorian. It's also like how the jedi have a basic brown and tan "uniform" that most of them wear or the  lightsaber  that hangs from there belt, as soon as most people see it they think Jedi or force user or sith (or in the legacy era Imperial knight).
It helps Identify us to the universe or to ourselves of who we are and the proud legacy that we come from or adopt into.   

this pic belongs to http://www.swagonline.net/node/3940
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
- Albert E.

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2011, 12:48:22 AM »
As all of you said, It's a form of Indentity, Which clearly shows alot in the Karen Traviss novels, escpecially in the first Republic Commando book, when Etain meets the commandos for the first time, she thinks it's the mandalorian who killed her master because of the T-shaped visors on their helmets. In- universe that's how were identified as being mandalorian. It's also like how the jedi have a basic brown and tan "uniform" that most of them wear or the  lightsaber  that hangs from there belt, as soon as most people see it they think Jedi or force user or sith (or in the legacy era Imperial knight).
It helps Identify us to the universe or to ourselves of who we are and the proud legacy that we come from or adopt into.
Truth, dude.

Just out of curiosity, you've got a couple "We"s and "Us"es going on there.  Are you a MandoMerc or real-life Mando, by any chance?

A'den Skirata

• Major
  • Keldabe kiss anyone?Club
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2011, 01:57:15 AM »
Truth, dude.

Just out of curiosity, you've got a couple "We"s and "Us"es going on there.  Are you a MandoMerc or real-life Mando, by any chance?

Yeah, I caught that too.

Don't worry man you are among fellow fans and friends but, you do know this is all make believe right? Even for those of us that actually dress up and go outdoors in it.
Personnel Officer Mandalorian Mercs Costuming Club. Ver'alor Manda'galaar Aliit.
www.mandalorianmercs.com
myspace.com/jaingskirata
http://mercs.firespray.net/wiki/index.php?title=A%27den_Skirata

Eparavu

• Captain
  • ALWAYS
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2011, 10:29:13 AM »
Lol. When you wear the armor, you can say we and us all you want.

Staring from a distance.
Always watching.
Always loving.
ALWAYS.

dredwulf60

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2011, 11:06:02 PM »
Uh-oh...do I detect an oncoming war between mando orthodoxy, progressives and heretics?

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2011, 11:20:33 PM »
Uh-oh...do I detect an oncoming war between mando orthodoxy, progressives and heretics?
Seems to me we've already been there and done that.  Let's not go back for seconds, peeps.

Eparavu

• Captain
  • ALWAYS
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2011, 11:28:36 PM »
People will do whatever they want, regardless of the opinions of lawmakers, religious figures, or people on the internet. If you get worked up about it, it's best to avoid such things.

Staring from a distance.
Always watching.
Always loving.
ALWAYS.

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2011, 11:37:01 PM »
People will do whatever they want, regardless of the opinions of lawmakers, religious figures, or people on the internet. If you get worked up about it, it's best to avoid such things.
All I'm saying is there's discussion...and then you've got a clusterfrak flame war.  We've had more of the second one in the past when it came to stuff like this.  If people wanna talk about being "Real-Life Mandos" (which I'm cool with, btw) in comparison to MandoMercs "I Only Costume" style in a chill, reasonable way, I don't care.  I don't think any of the mods would care.  If not...like you said, might be best to avoid it.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2011, 09:28:57 PM »
Awkward....

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2011, 09:46:39 PM »
I wouldn't care if there was such a discussion. As long as it was civil. See I can count on A'den Skirata to keep his cool and not be offended easily. Partly because I know enough about him without armor he's still a formidible dude.....I'd take him in a gunfight any day.....As in I'd have him beside me not in front shooting me. Oh wait this is about people as Mando's. I'd be a super commando clone sgt turned super cool Mando bounty hunter dude....Kind of like real life......I'm a SUPER COOL DUDE!!!!!!
The  purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in
defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more
important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

Drake and I agreed on something. Somebody get the camera out to capture the moment.