Author Topic: A Long Journey  (Read 5493 times)

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
A Long Journey
« on: February 07, 2011, 10:27:59 PM »
The year is 1874. In the Colony of Natal, the world is a powder keg. While restless Boers and enroaching Zulu impis threaten the frontiers, Europeans flock to the coast, searching for gold, glory, and big game.

Amidst this turmoil, Canadian hunter, Crimean War veteran, and translator Richard Braddock scrounges a living on the veldt. But his peaceful life is about to be shattered once more. From Durban, a company of European adventurers and thier entourage have come, seeking to experience the Dark Continent as theu know it. Amidst blood, tragedy, and black magic, life for Braddock and those whom he guides, will never be the same.

other characters MUST be European. Not nessecarily British, but from the Continent.

((I'm dead set on making this one work))

"]Name: Richard Braddock
Appearance::http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn48/Fingolfin_2008/RichardBraddock2-1.jpg
Personality: Richard is a friendly man by nature, but he views newly arrived Europeans as a liability, and is slow to trust them. He has several native and Boer companions, and has only loose ties to the British Empire. Richard also has a long-lasting hate for leopards, after losing a close friend to one while on safari. Since then, he has shot them on sight.
Armament: .416 Gibbs-Farquharson rifle carried for dangerous game. Braddock also owns a .455 Webley howdah pistol, and a 12-gauge shotgun.

Other: Richard wears a light cotton shirt and khaki drill bush jacket and trousers. He wears leather riding boots with reinforced ankles and shins to protect against snakebites, and a felt slouch hat in appropriate weather, but also goes bareheaded, using the hat as a gun rest.[/quote]

"The only thing that should be opened with the Taliban is a 7.66mm hole courtesty of a Princess Patricia sniper round smack in the center of the fundamentalist's unibrow"
-Ron James

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
Re: A Long Journey
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 11:43:51 PM »
OOC: Let's do it then

Name: Rawley Foster
Appearance:
Personality: Adventurous young man from Britain, Rawley loves traveling, excitement, and danger. Rawley has traveled much of the world. He has been saving for a long trip to Africa for years, and now his chance has come, and he's extremely enthusiastic.
Armament: Rawley has been told that the guide his friends, who have been to Africa before, set him up with will supply him with a rifle during the trip. He does, however, carry his own revolver and a hunting knife.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 01:13:54 AM by N-11 Commander Ordo »

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 12:27:28 PM »
OOC: By "From the Continent", do you mean Europe or were you being presumptuous and speaking of the British Isles.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 04:55:35 PM »
((Europe, of course!))

"The only thing that should be opened with the Taliban is a 7.66mm hole courtesty of a Princess Patricia sniper round smack in the center of the fundamentalist's unibrow"
-Ron James

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 08:59:47 PM »
Name: Jan Dybowski

Appearance:Like This

History: Jan was born into wealthy family, though you wouldn't think it. His father was a self-made politician who always kept his working roots evident. He taught his son the same values. At age 18 Jan joined the military as a lieutenant, making his father "the proudest man to ever raise a soon-to-be adventurer". He served for the next four years at the same rank, becoming one of the most beloved commanders in his unit. He has spent time all around the world. He's been in Asia, the Americas, Australia, and everywhere in between. He's starting his African adventure with the same enthusiasm he has always had. He's never shied from a new experience. He speaks most civilized and savage tongs, save for the African ones.

Armament: A Colt Single Action Army revolver he picked up in America as a gift, a Persian knife he took off the corpse of a warlord, and a pair of Asian vambraces won in a fighting tournament. Any heavier weapon he picks up in the area he is in.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 05:41:08 PM »
The morning of May 12, 1874, was much like any other in Natal. Hot, humid, and, around the docks, stinking. The piers of Durban were well known to Richard Braddock, who made his living on those who frequented them. His step, light from over 20 years of stalking prey, was barely audible on the waterlogged wood. Braddock scanned the hulls for the name he was looking for. Star of Natal, Emperess, Fortune, they were all familiar sights to the Canadian, but they were not the ship he wanted. Then, at the end, of No.4 dock, he saw her. The Victoria. On her, if his letter from the dockmaster was correct, was a party of Europeans fresh from the continent, looking for the sort of excitement that Braddock could offer. At least, for the men. As he stopped just short of the ship, he rankled at the number of dresses that mingled with trousers.

Braddock groaned, realizing that he would have to sort out those accompanying him from the other trekkers. Shaking his head wearily, he folded the brim up on the left side of his beaten slouch hat, and walked towards the crowd, his left hand raised in greeting. "My name is Richard Braddock." He called. "I'm told that some of you were anxious about hunting? If so, I'm the man that's going to help you do it."

-Ron James

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 08:11:26 PM »
Jan Dybowski adjusted the Eagle on his field cap waiting for the crew of the ship to finish the docking. He held his field bag in one hand and traced the grip of his pistol with the other. He heard a man shouting that his name was "Richard Braddock". He knew that was the name of his guide. He walked down the lowered ramp and said in a loud voice,

"I am Jan Dybowski. I vas told you are my guide".

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
Rawley foster grabbed his pack with excitement as The Victoria came into port, and sprang down onto the dock. He took a deep breath of hot, humid air and realized he was finally in Africa. With his pistol by his side and his knife on his belt, Rawley was ready for a great trip.

Suddenly he heard the name of his guide being shouted out. Richard Braddock was supposed to be the best guide in the area, and he was not cheap to hire. Luckily, Rawley had friends who graciously paid for his trip, while he only had to pay travel and equipment fees.

Another man was also approaching Braddock, introducing himself as Jan Dybowski. "I am Rawley Foster. Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Braddock."

Rawley held out his hand for a shake.

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 08:26:57 AM »
Braddock shook Foster's hand, then Dybowski's. Both men looked capable enough, and it was obvious that Dybowski was ex-army, judging by his headgear. Relieved that both clients had come forward promptly, Braddock nodded to them both and removed his hat. "Welcome to Africa, gentlemen." He said shortly, then began his usual rhetoric that he gave to all clients before they left the dock. "I'll warn you now, I'll be the one to judge if you're capable of hunting. Oh, and please, watch where you step once we depart. There are snakes here that can kill you within four hours. Also, I will inspect your firearms before we leave Durban to make sure they're serviceable. If there are needed modifications, then you can have them made by the local gunsmith. If either of you have not come properly eqipped, then I shall provide you with arms at my home."

"Also," Richard said in a less severe tone, "watch your surroundings. There have been reports of rather aggressive animals where I plan to hunt, but I shall keep a local guide at the campsite for those who for some reason stay behing. Alert him if you see anything out of the ordinary."

"For both of you, I should warn you that the Zulus under King Chestowayo have been growing more violent of late. The Zulu regiments spare no one, and kill viciously. You will do nothing to agitate them. No killing cattle, no disturbing caches or graves, and do not tresspass on thier grazing lands or disturb a kraal. Your curiousity is not worth our lives spilled out on the veldt," he snarled, making eye contanct with both men.

"Have I made myself understood?" He asked, his hand resting on the butt of his pistol.

-Ron James

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 10:26:43 AM »
"Absolutely. You vouldn't happen know someone vho can tell me bit more about their custom, unless you knov this. Knowing custom help vhen someone mistake. Helped vith the Soux and Mouri" Dybrowski asked and he lifted his field bag over his shoulder.

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 12:18:53 PM »
Braddock groaned inwardly at the man's heavy accent, but replied politely enough. "I have experience with most of the tribes in the area, and I speak several of thier languages. I know enough to keep us safe, so long as no one does something too idiotic. Which reminds me," He said. "I employ many men and women of colour. You shall address and treat them as your equals, or else I shall not render my services to you. Thier lives are on equal standing with yours, remember that."

-Ron James

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 12:38:41 PM »
"I am Polish. Ve don't deal vith many people of colour, so ve don't have same prejudice like others" Dybrowski said. Truth be told, he hadn't seen anyone darker then a German with a tan until he had left Poland. He had been surprised at the treatment of coloured people in America, and even more so at their colour. When he had returned home after that trip and told his family of what he had seen, most didn't believe him. His brother had laughed for the better part of a week until he realized Jan wasn't joking. Truly discrimination was nonexistent in Poland, save for the occasional gibe at a German or Russian.

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 08:02:18 PM »
"Understood. And don't worry, discrimination isn't becoming of an adventurer. You deal with too many interesting people to be offended by them." Rawley smiled and cracked his neck. Looking around, he was entranced with the variety and exotic nature of Africa.

"I was told that you could provide me with a rifle? I brought a pistol, but was unable to secure a proper hunting rifle before departure."

Find an excuse to win.

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 03:53:37 PM »
Braddock gave Dybrowski a grateful nod, then turned to Foster, setting his jaw. "You shall be provided with a rifle when I am assured that you know how to use one, Mr. Foster. That means that I trust you to make a killing shot on a Buffalo or Lion, rather than putting a slug into thier gut and incensing them to maul us. I have lost too many idiots that way. Now," he said, in no mood to argue with the smell of the docks polluting his air, "collect your baggage. We shall leave at once." He said, then picked up his own duffle and slung the waxed-canvas bag over his shoulder.

-Ron James

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 03:59:46 PM »
"I have no heavy vepon either. I vas soldier for four year, so I know how to shoot" Dybrowski said. English was not his best language, and he hoped he was getting his sentiment across.

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 09:46:07 PM »
Foster nodded to Braddock and promptly grabbed his own duffel bag.

"Where are we off to, Mr. Braddock?"

Find an excuse to win.

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 08:23:06 PM »
Braddock pulled out his pistol, a double barreled Howdah affair, and slid two cartridges into the .50 calibre chambers. Snapping the gun shut, he holstered it and pointed towards the setting sun. "We go west. I have a home about five miles from here, where we shall rest and plan your trek. I can also outfit you both with proper weaponry there." He said, already walking. "What army did you serve in, Dybrowski?" He asked, looking over his shoulder.

-Ron James

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 08:41:50 PM »
"Kawalerii Polskiej" Dybrowski said absentmindedly, a now automatic response to the question posed to him by everyone he met in the homeland. He looked over to see Braddock's face.

"Uh, Cavalry, Polish. Lieutenant" he added as an after thought. He swapped his bag into his other hand to pull out the photo he had of his unit and held it out for Braddock to see. It had writing in Polish scrawled across the bottom ,and the names on the back.

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 04:44:54 PM »
Braddock nodded, impressed to see a fellow veteran. "Where did you serve? I'm not familiar with Polish actions over the last few years."

-Ron James

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 05:18:17 PM »
"Russia and boarders. No var to fight" Dybrowksi said.

"Vhat about you?" he asked a moment later.

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2011, 05:52:58 PM »
"I served in the Crimean War in my youth, which was the most idiotic decision I have ever made. I was nineteen and with the Sutherland Highlanders when we were at Balaclava. Put the Russians down like the mad dogs they were." Braddock said, then tapped his shoulder over his jacket and shirt. "I still have a bullet there from the Battle of Alma."

-Ron James