Author Topic: Out of rockets...huh?  (Read 15064 times)

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
Out of rockets...huh?
« on: April 26, 2011, 08:26:28 PM »
Okay, on Attack of the Clones, when Anakin says to shoot Dooku down, why does the pilot say they're out of rockets? Couldn't he have hit Dooku with the blasters? Or what about the clones in the bubble turrets? Couldn't they have hit him?

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
Re: Out of rockets...huh?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 08:34:02 PM »
No idea bro, has bothered me for years.

BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips

Talo

• Captain
  • "Walk with doom, brother."
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 08:39:25 PM »
Just crappy writing on Lucas' part. Try not to think about it.

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 11:02:06 PM »
No idea bro, has bothered me for years.
Just crappy writing on Lucas' part. Try not to think about it.

Yes, this has also bothered me ever since I first saw AotC. But like Talo said, it's just bullcrap writing by GL.  Aren't you shocked? :P

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

Jaig

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 11:04:55 PM »
Yes, I mean, think of it! If it wasn't for being out of rockets, Dooku wouldn't have gotten in three minutes in ROTS.

Talo

• Captain
  • "Walk with doom, brother."
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 11:23:46 PM »
Yes, I mean, think of it! If it wasn't for being out of rockets, Dooku wouldn't have gotten in three minutes in ROTS.

In the novelization the author changes 'rockets' to 'ordnance' which I thought was a nice touch. The novelization was incredibly better than the movie come to think of it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 01:30:49 PM by Talo »

Mereel Skirata

• Mod Staff
  • Senior Clone Commander
  • For Mandalore!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 12:03:57 AM »
I would have been set with them at least TRYING, and have some bs about Dooku being able to "use the force" to dodge the fire.   Even that would have been better then "we are out of rockets"
Resident Costumer.

"Now boys.. no comparing verp sizes...."

A'den Skirata

• Major
  • Keldabe kiss anyone?Club
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 12:48:24 AM »
Im guessing the shields were or were suspected to be too strong for blasters but rockets would penetrate?
Personnel Officer Mandalorian Mercs Costuming Club. Ver'alor Manda'galaar Aliit.
www.mandalorianmercs.com
myspace.com/jaingskirata
http://mercs.firespray.net/wiki/index.php?title=A%27den_Skirata

RC-1191

• Captain
  • Ba'slan shev'la
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 12:56:24 AM »
Im guessing the shields were or were suspected to be too strong for blasters but rockets would penetrate?

Shouldn't stop them from trying at least...

dredwulf60

• Republic Provost Marshal
  • "Show me your hands...and other appendages..."
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 02:38:47 AM »

That's kinda feeble.  When you have to really dig that deep to try and justify a one-liner....they should have just changed the line.  I mean, if none of the weapons on that formidable attack craft was capable to breaching the shields of a little tiny sky bike like that...and there was no evidence it even had shields... then the thing needs a serious weapons upgrade.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
  • Lock S-Foils in attack position.
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 09:48:43 AM »
I've never really thought about this until now.  The only explanation I can think of is that the gunship pilots may have redirected power from the lasers to the engines in order to keep up with Dooku's speeder as the gunship would have been built with an emphasis on armour and firepower instead of speed and so may have found themselves struggling to keep pace with the speeder.
Clone Pilot armour project: helmet, chest - pepped.
RC helmet: done.

Laney97

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 01:36:30 PM »
Some peoplee say Lucas handed the script in one draft. If this was the case, then it doesn't surprise me that it doesn't make sense.

Grunt Trooper

• Zone Lord
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 08:41:19 PM »
I've never really thought about this until now.  The only explanation I can think of is that the gunship pilots may have redirected power from the lasers to the engines in order to keep up with Dooku's speeder as the gunship would have been built with an emphasis on armour and firepower instead of speed and so may have found themselves struggling to keep pace with the speeder.
I think this is the only thing that would make sense if we didn't already know it was just poor writing. I know in the Empire at War game there is an option to divert energy to the engines to increase speed. Plus it would make sense that Dooku's bike would be pretty speedy. And that rockets would be all you could fire while the engines are running full throttle....
In the novelization the author changes 'rockets' to 'ordnance' which i thought was a nice touch. The novelization was incredibly better than the movie come to think of it.
I need to read the book then. Because I have never been satisfied with the movie sadly.

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
  • Nulla e reale, tutto e lecito
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 03:43:14 AM »
In the novelization the author changes 'rockets' to 'ordnance' which i thought was a nice touch. The novelization was incredibly better than the movie come to think of it.
All of the novels were, really.  And yeah, "ordnance" makes sooo much more sense then "rockets".  Count me another one who was always like "WTH?" with that line.
"To say nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 05:02:25 AM »
I know in the Empire at War game there is an option to divert energy to the engines to increase speed. Plus it would make sense that Dooku's bike would be pretty speedy. And that rockets would be all you could fire while the engines are running full throttle....
In the X-Wing series one of the key features is that you can manually adjust the power going to the lasers and shields which effect how much is left over for the engines, and so if you increase the power going to the lasers and/or shields you reduce the amount left for the engines thus reducing your speed, and vice-versa.

Grunt Trooper

• Zone Lord
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 05:32:19 AM »
In the X-Wing series one of the key features is that you can manually adjust the power going to the lasers and shields which effect how much is left over for the engines, and so if you increase the power going to the lasers and/or shields you reduce the amount left for the engines thus reducing your speed, and vice-versa.
X-Wings are the bomb... Seriously cool.  So when Luke goes in 'full throttle' he had much less shield and laser strength. That would help explain why it only took Vader and his lackeys one shot to take out an X-Wing.

Laney97

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 01:41:26 PM »
At least this part of canon makes sense. But, this is about the rockets. Why are we talking about X-Wings?

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 02:06:02 PM »
It's about how you can divert power from weapons and shields to engines. That's possibly why the pilot didn't shoot at Dooku.

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.

dredwulf60

• Republic Provost Marshal
  • "Show me your hands...and other appendages..."
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 02:11:39 PM »
Here's the problem with the engines/weapons power shunting:'

It wouldn't have taken a lot of laser power to down that speeder bike.  I find it hard not to see why they wouldn't take a minor drop in engine power to get off some laser shots.  Y'know...lasers....that travel at the speed of light. 

Anyway...belabouring the point.  Dumb line.  Anyway to try to explain it in-universe is putting lipstick on a hog.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 05:57:24 PM »
Just to explain the whole power thing a bit further, in the X-Wing series the power you send to the lasers and shields doesn't directly effect how much is available, instead it effects the recharge rate.  At neutral power the shields/lasers will remain constant, at increased power they will recharge slowly and at full power they will recharge faster.  Likewise, when you set it to decreased power it will slowly de-charge and no power will de-charge faster.  If you have reduced the power to the lasers to boost the engine power to help get out of the extremely turbulent air from the sandstorm (trust me, extreme turbulence is not something you want to fly through as a pilot) then its is probable that your lasers will be fully de-charged when you found Dooku's speeder and so in order to get multiple laser shots (it recharges at max power at a rate just a bit slower then you can fire them) you will have to reduce power to the engines for an extended period to store enough charge to get off a decent amount of lasers and compensate for the de-charge rate you'll encounter when you throw power back from the lasers to the engines.

Having said that though, I do agree that it is a pretty stupid line.