Author Topic: Obi-Wan Kenobi - why's Ordo bashing him?  (Read 23363 times)

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
Obi-Wan Kenobi - why's Ordo bashing him?
« on: May 13, 2011, 11:49:19 AM »
Okay, in Order 66, why does Ordo say something like "Kenobi is a glory-chaser who wastes too many men"? I never saw Obi-Wan as wasteful of men...in fact, he did a great job not wasting men on the original Clone Wars series by sending in Fordo's ARCs first. The only time I can think of that he wasted men was in the same series, when he went and had a joust with Durge and his droids. He lost a bunch of clones there, when the clones could've just sniped the bikers down.

Anyway, why is Ordo so harsh?

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.

A'den Skirata

• Major
  • Keldabe kiss anyone?Club
Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi - why's Ordo bashing him?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 12:10:57 PM »
Because he is and he does. There's alot of EU out there and while Kenobi had a good relationships with clones like Cody, Alpha and Rex, he wasted alot of men. Read the Star Wars Republic comics, that were the primary source for information on the clone wars era prior to the TCW cartoons. Kenobi is pretty arogant and full of himself at this time in his life. Does that mean I don't like the character? No it doesn't but, it's an accurate assessment from someon in Ordo's position.
Personnel Officer Mandalorian Mercs Costuming Club. Ver'alor Manda'galaar Aliit.
www.mandalorianmercs.com
myspace.com/jaingskirata
http://mercs.firespray.net/wiki/index.php?title=A%27den_Skirata

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 12:16:42 PM »
I remember a line from one of the Jabiim comics: Anakin asked what he was if Obi-Wan was a General, and Obi-Wan replied, "My Padawan." Yeah, I never knew him to waste troops, but I'll take your word for it. But like Rex thinks in the Traviss-written Clone Wars novel, the man loves to fight.

Thanks, A'den.

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.

Fenn Shysa

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 08:05:01 AM »
Papa-Kal bashes him too.
I think it was O-66; and Kal makes some crack that Obi-wan's ego wont fit through the opening in Coruscant's planetary shields.

I like Obi-wan's character too. I can't say that he wastes too many men, (I've never read the Rep. comics); but I remmebr that same scene w/ the big joust and Durge, etc.; and thinking the exact same thing. I did not know why they would opt to go man-for-man, (or man-for-droid), like that.
I'm no expert on tactics; but, I'd figure you could wither snipe them, (like Colt said); or, let Art-y do the work.
(i.e. bomb the crap out of them as they're advancing).

I will say that Obi-wan does seem to have that pompus aire about him; so, I definitely don't mind when someone bashes him a little bit
"I find your lack of faith distrubing."

pm07

• Private
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 08:42:44 PM »
Ordo and Kal-Buir know what the truth is. Obi-wan and the Mystic Mob in general should never have been made General?commanders or anything else. Or put in charge of military actions period. Very few of them had the training or experience in military maneuvers/TTP's to effectively command troops in combat.

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
  • Nulla e reale, tutto e lecito
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 02:43:11 AM »
I like Obi-wan's character too. I can't say that he wastes too many men, (I've never read the Rep. comics); but I remmebr that same scene w/ the big joust and Durge, etc.; and thinking the exact same thing. I did not know why they would opt to go man-for-man, (or man-for-droid), like that.
I'm no expert on tactics; but, I'd figure you could wither snipe them, (like Colt said); or, let Art-y do the work.
(i.e. bomb the crap out of them as they're advancing).
That's exactly the kind of thing that made Obi-Wan look bad.  Honestly, the Clone Wars comics made Obi-Wan look decently competent as a General.  But the original CW series had clones get killed by the frikkin' dozens just so people could understand that the bad guy was a real threat, or just so they could cut down to the known characters.  Obi-Wan and Durge (Round 1), Anakin and Ventress, and Ani and Obi vs the Nelvaan beast come to mind.  All those clones died just so they could get something more dramatic with the two Jedi heroes.  The only time that really pops out as happening in the Dark Horse CW comics was with Aayla and Bly, and at least that was handled a little better.
"To say nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 10:23:05 PM »
The book that introduced Nate/Jangotat involved a bit where Obi-Wan internally thought about how the clones were less than people...

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 11:11:53 PM »
Then he got to know Jangotat and grew a heart of gold... :P

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 09:31:58 PM »
The book that introduced Nate/Jangotat involved a bit where Obi-Wan internally thought about how the clones were less than people...
lolz  That's kind of a sadly recent example of "Fair for its Day", considering most authors didn't think the clones were really people at that point, and the only reason Nate was an ARC was because they were the "human ones". 9_9
"To say nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

Fenn Shysa

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 09:43:23 AM »
considering most authors didn't think the clones were really people at that point

That's funny. because, in some recent Zahn books I've read; he has a lot of scenes where different charcters are all weirded out by thought of clones. I definitely got some sort of clones are sub-human vibe going on.

Although, I finishing up another Zahn book (Vision of the Future); where their are a couple clones that were part of an Imperial sleeper cell; and they chose to defect because they all have families and farms, etc.
[What's w/ Clones and Farms ? (doesn't Levet and a few others take up farming Krymiout?)]
Either way, now Zahn seemed to portray them as a lot more human.

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 12:39:14 PM »
And I thank him for that. Clones are people, too!

Oh, and Cut Lawquane from the Clone Wars was a farmer also. Man, clones and farming must go together or something. Maybe things that are grown like growing things for a change.

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 02:29:58 PM »
Their entire lives, the clones were training, doing simulations for, and participating in War.  When in war, you destroy and kill in the most hectic manner possible.

It makes sense that clones who got out of the GAR would want to farm.

A: It's probably the most peaceful occupation in the Galaxy.

B: They are helping new things grow and thrive, instead of killing and destroying them.

C: It's an occupation that they can take up without much fear of the Empire finding them. Unlike Bounty Hunting, which gains you a reputation and therefore puts you in greater danger.

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 08:48:16 PM »
Their entire lives, the clones were training, doing simulations for, and participating in War.  When in war, you destroy and kill in the most hectic manner possible.

It makes sense that clones who got out of the GAR would want to farm.

A: It's probably the most peaceful occupation in the Galaxy.

B: They are helping new things grow and thrive, instead of killing and destroying them.

C: It's an occupation that they can take up without much fear of the Empire finding them. Unlike Bounty Hunting, which gains you a reputation and therefore puts you in greater danger.
^That makes a lot of sense.

Fenn Shysa

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 11:31:36 AM »
That does make sense.
But, there a slew of other professions that could be deemed "peaceful", (e.g. School Teachers, Florists, Dentists, etc.)
Maybe, Kaminoan engineers purposefully gave all clones a genetic predisposition to farming; just in case the Republic re-negged on the contract. But, Kamino doesn't really have any land... [Hmmm.... that wont work]
[Perhaps this should be posted the Random Question thread]

shadowxander

• Major
  • Te racin ka'ra juaan kote.
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 01:03:37 AM »
It could also come as a result of what the clones have been exposed to, both during their training on Kamino, and their experiences across numerous planets during the war.  Commander Levet, for an example of the latter, spent time among the farmers of Qiilura and learned to appreciate the craft.  Cut Lawquane, I suspect, simply stumbled into it: there alone on Saleucami, he wasn't likely presented with very many opportunities to make use of his military skills, but this kind Twi'lek woman who appears to have taken him in at the start of their relationship, was already in possession of a functioning farm.  In the case of the former, as we're all aware, the Cuy'val Dar had a noticeable impact on the clones, even those they didn't personally train.  Several of the Mandalorian members, and even a number of the non-Mando sergeants, may have had a background in farming that seeped down to the clones within their sphere of influence.  Both Commander Bacara and Sergeant Fox were influenced by the Journeyman Protector ways of Cort Davin, for instance, and took away the methodology of a Concord Dawn lawkeeper.
Kandosii sa kyr'am ast
Troan teroch jetiise a'den
Duraan vi at ara'nov
Vode an, ka'rta tor!

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 11:47:57 PM »
Could also be some kind of innate kinship with Jango's farming past.

shadowxander

• Major
  • Te racin ka'ra juaan kote.
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 01:44:31 AM »
Could also be some kind of innate kinship with Jango's farming past.

There could definitely be something to that, considering that Star Wars has apparently settled on a position that acknowledges genetic memory as a true phenomenon in humans through examples like the clones of Galen Marek, and closer to home, Spar.  There could very well be some manner of bleed from Jango's experiences, influencing the clone toward an agricultural existence.
Kandosii sa kyr'am ast
Troan teroch jetiise a'den
Duraan vi at ara'nov
Vode an, ka'rta tor!

Fenn Shysa

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 01:36:11 PM »
I like the Farmer-Jengo theory too.

An, I also like Xander's point about Levet learning farming on Quilura.

-It's the age-old question of nature vs nuture.

[As an aside:] What's the prevailing theory RE Cut Lawquane's paternity test?
(i.e. Is he the biological father of those Twi-lek kids; or does Star Wars enforce the "no-inter-species rule"?)

IMO, I think both "humanoid" species would be able to procreate.
But, I wonder if the Kaminoans would allow their clones to have the ability. (I would think they would prefer to sterilize their product before releasing it to the general public)

-I mean they all ready put in the 2X aging gene... why would they then allow them to propogate?

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 11:28:29 PM »
[As an aside:] What's the prevailing theory RE Cut Lawquane's paternity test?
(i.e. Is he the biological father of those Twi-lek kids; or does Star Wars enforce the "no-inter-species rule"?)

IMO, I think both "humanoid" species would be able to procreate.
But, I wonder if the Kaminoans would allow their clones to have the ability. (I would think they would prefer to sterilize their product before releasing it to the general public)

-I mean they all ready put in the 2X aging gene... why would they then allow them to propogate?
Well the clones can definitely have kids.  Venku/Kad and Connor Freeman are proof of that.  But Cut's kids are his via adoption, and Atin said in "Order 66" that humans and Twi'leks can't interbreed.  There's been confirmation though, that there's a sub-species of Twi'leks (might be the ones that're shown with Human-style ears, but don't quote me :P) that's genetically close enough that they can interbreed.

Fenn Shysa

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 08:19:25 AM »
I forgot that O-66 mentioned that about Atin and Laseema.

And Venku obviously disproves my sterile-clone statement.
I still think it is was Kaminoan oversight, though.
-If you're in the business of fine-tuning the process of growing and flash-training the perfect soldier; wouldn't you root out all potential moneky-wrenches. Granted its heartless;  But, "Heartless" was Ko Sai's middle name.

I did not who Connor Freeman was; (but, I just read a little bit about him on Wook).

-Why did Jengo leave him a fat inheritance? Was it guilt? Was it becasue they were kin?