Author Topic: A question for mandalorian fans!  (Read 29777 times)

Null-4 Kolburn Skirata

• Lieutenant
  • "ARCs were not team players."
A question for mandalorian fans!
« on: June 30, 2011, 06:20:10 AM »
What and why is the reason that made you love mandalorians?
Ke nu jurkad sha Mando'ade, burc'ya!- "Don't mess with Mandos, mate!" (lit: "Don't wave your saber at Mandalorians, mate!:)

Laney97

Re: A question for mandalorian fans!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 08:52:29 AM »
I'd have to say because of there sense of family, which co-exists with there violence. It is like a life that I would want to live. The parts of giving people a chance, going after bounties, and other suff.

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 06:09:16 PM »
I'd have to say because of there sense of family, which co-exists with there violence. It is like a life that I would want to live. The parts of giving people a chance, going after bounties, and other suff.

What the hlel are you talking about Laney??? Is violence something cool to you? The guy who constantly talking about being picked on. Ah, I think that's it. You want to put violence on others because your constantly being picked on.
The  purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in
defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more
important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

Drake and I agreed on something. Somebody get the camera out to capture the moment.

Grunt Trooper

• Zone Lord
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 04:35:14 PM »
What the hlel are you talking about Laney??? Is violence something cool to you? The guy who constantly talking about being picked on. Ah, I think that's it. You want to put violence on others because your constantly being picked on.
Are you a shrink or a moderator?

I wouldn't say that violence is a good reason to like Mandos, but there is a great bond that comes from fighting/struggling with someone at your back.

dredwulf60

• Republic Provost Marshal
  • "Show me your hands...and other appendages..."
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 05:44:28 PM »

Seems to me he was focusing on the opposite.  Laney admits that yes, there is violence in their lives...but it's everything else besides the violence that really draws him.

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 08:24:20 PM »
^ I agree with dredwulf.

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.

Null-4 Kolburn Skirata

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 06:29:01 AM »
First of all I like their armors and all of their combet abilitys.
and mostly their some kind of Philosophy to grow through combat and training.
"Mandalorians believe confrontation is required for growth, on the personal as well as the cultural level. War is the Mandalorian way of life."-Jedi Master Gnost-Dural
However I do not want to be a mandalorian in real life, in real life they are cold-blooded murderers .
Ke nu jurkad sha Mando'ade, burc'ya!- "Don't mess with Mandos, mate!" (lit: "Don't wave your saber at Mandalorians, mate!:)

Alu Darce89

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 09:18:05 PM »
I became a fan because of the armor from watching the older movies and then from the subsequent books and comics about fett during the 90's. and then it was reinvigerated when I played Republic Commando and then I read the Karen Traviss books that helped continue my intrest in the madalorian Spirit and Family. 

this pic belongs to http://www.swagonline.net/node/3940
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
- Albert E.

Mereel Skirata

• Mod Staff
  • Senior Clone Commander
  • For Mandalore!
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 10:06:12 PM »
Because they are badass.   I could go into detail about how I like the family values they have and how they have honor that has lasted through the millennia,  but what is comes down to is that they are just plain BAMFs

when you look up badass in the dictionary the first thing you see is a picture of Boba Fett.
Resident Costumer.

"Now boys.. no comparing verp sizes...."

Grunt Trooper

• Zone Lord
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 10:41:46 PM »
when you look up badass in the dictionary the first thing you see is a picture of Boba Fett.
REALLY?? NO WAY!

Delta 42

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 07:15:25 AM »
I like Mandos because growing up I LOVED Boba & Jango.

Laney97

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 11:56:58 AM »
Seems to me he was focusing on the opposite.  Laney admits that yes, there is violence in their lives...but it's everything else besides the violence that really draws him.

Yes. That is what I'm saying. But, that was a good theroy there, Carnivore. (it's hard to not to type Sean every time.  :ouch: )

I think he wants to be both.

I like Mandos because growing up I LOVED Boba & Jango.

I prefered Boba. Becuase he always had a mask on.

dredwulf60

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 05:42:41 PM »
For me it was a mixture of Boba and the armour itself.  The armour was cool, but it was nothing without the aura of menace that Boba gave it in ESB and a somewhat in RoTJ. 

But that worked to imbue that style of armour with his...attitude.  So every mandalorian has inherited a little bit of the screen presence of ESB's Boba Fett.

Now it is a phenomenon on its own.  It's like the red, yellow and black of a coral snake...or the distinctive sound of a rattler, or that flattening hood of a cobra...it means...backoff di'kut.  I'm a shabla bad-shebs motherfrakker and I will ruin your world if you cross me.

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 06:48:46 PM »

I'm all that and a whole lot more. This is one of those times that when someone starts talking like "violence is cool" I put my myself in the conversation whether they like it or not. When you say something like "I'd have to say because of there sense of family, which co-exists with there violence. It is like a life that I would want to live." I take that as I wanna live a life of violence. If you don't mean it like that you need to clarify. Especially since someone like me who actually lives that lifestyle knows what that life is like.

As for the original question, Boba is cool, the armor is cooler. Jango showed us what a Mando can really do though. 

Drake and I agreed on something. Somebody get the camera out to capture the moment.

Delta 42

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 09:05:50 PM »
motherfrakker
Do You watch Battlestar Galactica?

dredwulf60

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 11:11:12 PM »
Do You watch Battlestar Galactica?

Actually...no.  Not since the 70s.   But I know that trashy re-make show uses the term ''frak.  In truth I originally wrote it to be...well...what it was supposed to be, but I noted that it wouldn't get filtered out as one word...so I figured I'd stick with a phoenetic simulation...to let you know what was intended.

Delta 42

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 01:53:39 AM »
I love the remake show and I'm going to watch the Original soon.

Null-4 Kolburn Skirata

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 06:15:01 AM »
No I do not watch it I am A loyal Star Wars fan.
and I like mostly about the mandalorian is the awesome armor.

Laney97

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 02:15:50 PM »
I'm all that and a whole lot more. This is one of those times that when someone starts talking like "violence is cool" I put my myself in the conversation whether they like it or not. When you say something like "I'd have to say because of there sense of family, which co-exists with there violence. It is like a life that I would want to live." I take that as I wanna live a life of violence. If you don't mean it like that you need to clarify.

Right. If you still need it, I like the way they can have such a secure way of living even with violence being part of there culture. It's more intriuging and interesting than, lets say the Jedi. And my life. We have no violence, but we still seem to have massive chasms opening and closing every five seconds (Or six, I forget). So, thats why. I don't want to live with killing someone I don't know every day. I like them because they have familes that are tight even with violence being a daily part of life.

And of course the armour.

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 06:55:37 PM »
That makes more sense Laney, thank you.

Grunt Trooper

• Zone Lord
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 09:04:33 PM »
I'm all that and a whole lot more. This is one of those times that when someone starts talking like "violence is cool" I put my myself in the conversation whether they like it or not.
Thank you for the Clarity... Sean/Carnivore.

And of course the armour.

The original reason I like Mandos as a kid. Boba looks cool. Then Jango came and I was like, IT COMES IN BLUE TOO?!

Laney97

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 12:23:14 PM »
That makes more sense Laney, thank you.

Anytime.

Rune

• Official Site Mir'shebs
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 04:26:50 PM »
I'm all that and a whole lot more. This is one of those times that when someone starts talking like "violence is cool" I put my myself in the conversation whether they like it or not. When you say something like "I'd have to say because of there sense of family, which co-exists with there violence. It is like a life that I would want to live." I take that as I wanna live a life of violence. If you don't mean it like that you need to clarify. Especially since someone like me who actually lives that lifestyle knows what that life is like.

You could give him the benefit of the doubt, though, and let him explain what he meant before tearing him off a strip.

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 10:55:32 PM »
Why thanks Rune. Next time I'll be sure to ask you before I do or say anything else. You can even take over my duties as Mod if you want.

Back to the topic at hand/

Rune

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 10:32:15 AM »
Okay, I need to know something.

How exactly was my comment offensive? Does your moderator status mean that no one can offer you advice?

Laney97

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 12:58:05 PM »
Let's stay on topic and leave this thing alone. But, I love sarcasm.

I like them because of the jetpacks they (sometimes) wear. Jetpacks are cool.

dredwulf60

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »
Okay, I need to know something.

How exactly was my comment offensive? Does your moderator status mean that no one can offer you advice?

"Who is this person who speaks to me as though I needed his advice? ..."   -Longshanks   Braveheart

"You do your job, pencil neck, don't tell me how to do mine! ..."  -Police Chief   Ghostbusters

"Still, the sheepdog disturbs the sheep. He is a constant reminder that there are wolves in the land. They would prefer that he didn’t tell them where to go, or give them traffic tickets, or stand at the ready in our airports in camouflage fatigues holding an M-16. The sheep would much rather have the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, “Baa.”"  -Lt. Col. Dave Grossman  Killology

"Why thanks Rune. Next time I'll be sure to ask you before I do or say anything else. You can even take over my duties as Mod if you want."  -Sean  Brothers All

To cut to the point, questioning the practices of someone who has been placed in a position of authority in a public forum will always elicit a firm negative response.  The authority figure in question is not necessarily defending him or herself, but the integrity of the position.  If the person in authority has made a mistake, pointing it out in public is not appropriate.  Ever.  There are channels of redress.  People to appeal to.  This is advice not just for here...but for society at large.

If I give a speeding ticket, the one thing that will not help the situation is for the driver (or passenger, or passer-by) to try to tell me how to do my job...whether it's "You should be more polite" or "my taxes pay your salary!"or "It wouldn't kill you to just give him a break this one time!" or "There's no way I was going that fast...your radar is broke or you don't know how to use it right!"

If I am truly in error, the best thing to do is take it to my boss.  They will then decide.

Rune

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2011, 01:51:19 PM »
To cut to the point, questioning the practices of someone who has been placed in a position of authority in a public forum will always elicit a firm negative response.  The authority figure in question is not necessarily defending him or herself, but the integrity of the position.

There is responding firmly to defend your position, and then there is slamming a member who irritates you. I've been a mod. I was a moderator for two years on a site more active than this one. I've dealt with members who repeated got on my nerves and I'm aware that I'm probably one of those members for Sean. But I'm not an idiot, and I would appreciate it if Sean, specifically, wouldn't treat me like one. If he had responded like you did, instead of shooting me a sarcastic comment, I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

All I'm saying is that a little more consideration would go a long way.

And if you would rather I send this to Amy, I will.

dredwulf60

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2011, 04:38:53 PM »
There is responding firmly to defend your position, and then there is slamming a member who irritates you. I've been a mod. I was a moderator for two years on a site more active than this one. I've dealt with members who repeated got on my nerves and I'm aware that I'm probably one of those members for Sean. But I'm not an idiot, and I would appreciate it if Sean, specifically, wouldn't treat me like one. If he had responded like you did, instead of shooting me a sarcastic comment, I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

All I'm saying is that a little more consideration would go a long way.

And if you would rather I send this to Amy, I will.

All I am saying is that sending a mod complaint to Amy is the only...the ONLY...proper course if you have a problem with a mod that cannot be solved in PRIVATE.

I believe you were a mod.  I don't doubt that.  I'm even willing to go so far as to say you were likely good at it, though I have no way of knowing.  I'm only giving you some advice in dealing with people who have authority.  Sorry, make that Authority.  (capital A).

Sean doesn't need me to talk for him, or explain anything.  I just know that in his real job, he is 'capital A' authority.  He has said on numerous occasions that he treats the members of this forum like his marines.  I'm willing to bet that his marines do not try to point out his perceived errors in public. 

When a member of the public gets pissed at me, I give them my badge number and TELL them: 'contact my supervisor and make a complaint', because I believe in the way I do things.  My supervisor will adjust me in person if I require it, just as I'm sure Amy will correct any of her mods if she has a problem brought to her, and she agrees that it is a problem.

I'm ready and willing to discuss this at length with you Rune in PM if you wish, as would Amy or Sean I bet.  No need to get hot under the collar here ner vod.

Grunt Trooper

• Zone Lord
  • Commander
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2011, 09:09:44 PM »
I like Mandos caws they got sweet lady skills. Mandos generally get hot chicks.

I thought this would get a negative response...

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2011, 09:16:22 PM »

Did you want one?

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.

Laney97

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2011, 07:50:17 AM »
You know GT, always wanting an argument.

Grunt Trooper

• Zone Lord
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2011, 11:46:50 PM »
You know GT, always wanting an argument.
ME? Never... Just a spirited disagreement. I'm not a troll, I'm just a gnome.

Laney97

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2011, 02:11:24 PM »
I thought you were a spider...

Grunt Trooper

• Zone Lord
  • Commander
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2011, 05:26:19 PM »
I thought you were a cat

dredwulf60

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2011, 06:15:23 PM »
In the name of CROM, get back on topic, or take it to the GOT!

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2011, 11:42:18 PM »

Quote from: Grunt Trooper on July 02, 2011, 04:35:14 PM

Quote from: Grunt Trooper on July 02, 2011, 04:35:14 PM

GT

I was FULLY aware of your comment. I ignored it in the way that I ignore lots of comments here. Continue to mess with me and I'll drive to AZ and show you my Mando skillz..... Your good, after all, your still alive....

Grunt Trooper

• Zone Lord
  • Commander
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2011, 12:38:54 AM »
Mando skills psh. I'll drive to Arizona too! For whatever reason we are driving there for...

Laney97

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2011, 02:44:17 PM »
It's to show your driving skillz in a head to head duel of the fates.

I think.

Okay. We REALLY need to get back on topic. Even I am saying that.

But, I can't think of anything so I am going to leave this topic be now.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2011, 11:50:42 PM »
*Cough*

To be honest, I wasn't in love with the mandalorians until Canderous essentially told Reven mandalorians take over the galaxy for sport. I'm a fan of global, or in this case galactic, domination. It's right up my alley.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

Null-4 Kolburn Skirata

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2011, 01:22:38 AM »
You do know that they where never close to galactic domination.
Only in the Manadalorian Wars they where close to that and they lost.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2011, 10:25:09 PM »
It's the concept that I like.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

Shereshoy

• Major
  • Bang. Bang. Bangbangbangbang!
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2011, 02:04:09 PM »
The idea gets me. The stonic belief, the clear purpose. The fact they know what they are, and what they have to do.
“God's promises are like the stars; the darker the night the brighter they shine”
-David Nicholas

You are two parts personality and one part confusion.- Eparavu

WinterBorn

• Private Recruit
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2011, 10:12:26 PM »
I like their strong sense of Duty and Family and doing whatever it takes to do what needs to be done. Also the don't just sit around on their shebs all day, they figure out what needs to be done and then the go out and do it.

Besides, just looking at the armor you know that the person inside is one serious bad a**.
<--ke nujurkadir sha Mando'ade-->

stopwatch

• Private
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2011, 05:14:38 PM »
i got drawn in by their sense of family and duty, but also they are very level headed and very reasonable and practical
i love the fact that there are no feminine or masculine tenses, that they treat everyone equal, that they accept anyone who wants to join, that they have no word for hero, because excellence should be the standard, how simple and practical things are for them, they are a reasonable and loyal culture

pluss they are total bad butts

Talo

• Captain
  • "Walk with doom, brother."
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2011, 02:04:36 PM »
The armor is what first caught my eye then their sense of honor, dignity and the combat prowess to make a Jedi stop in his tracks.

stopwatch

• Private
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2011, 02:30:13 PM »
The armor is what first caught my eye then their sense of honor, dignity and the combat prowess to make a Jedi stop in his tracks.

Side note did you know that bobs fetts armor design (and subsequently mandalorian armor design) was meant to make him sort of the space version of Clint Eastwood's man with no name character

Talo

• Captain
  • "Walk with doom, brother."
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
I've heard that before, yes.

Lil Vod

• Sergeant
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2011, 05:40:08 PM »
First: They're armor. It's awesome!!! Makes me drool sometimes. :P lol.

Second: Because they're not those dikutl'a New Mandalorians. They make me sick.  :dead:

Third: They're mysterious in their own way, and I like that.

Fourth, and lastly: Their weapons. They can really pack a punch.  :ouch:

dredwulf60

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2011, 07:43:02 PM »
This page is old, and has decayed links...but I think it gets the point across still:

http://www.oocities.org/tracybrown2003/mandalorian.html

(A variation/ homage on the original Ninja Homepage)

pm07

• Private
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2011, 04:57:33 PM »
For me:

Thier sense of family. They take anyone in no matter what thier background and accept them as family. Being willling to accept your brother and sisters, be willing to sacrifice everything for them, including your life if neccessary. Being adopted, and living my life the way I have work wise, this struck me the most about the Mandalorian culture.

Riotv2

• Captain
  • Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade.
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2011, 10:21:05 PM »
Mandalorians are paradox of ideals. In a sense they are what both the Jedi and Sith aspire to be...while at the same time not even being close.

They are the ruthlessly efficient killers, the perfect soldiers...who might also have a farm back home raising sheep or crops.

They accept you for who you are not who you were before the armor. The sense of Selfless (meaning: Non-Cult) community and family is unrivaled in any other group/faction I've seen.

Besides which they have produced some of the most memorable characters in all aspects of the SW Verse. (Movies, Books, Video games, even the Clone Wars series had a great character in Pre Vizla)

Any One can be Mando...in a general sense...i know not just anyone can put on the armor and be one.

It's not elitist like the Force Users, or  overly formal like the official Military of most worlds.

To sum it up...Mandalorians are the best of all worlds.

Besides...chicks dig the armor.
Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade.

A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead."

-------------------------------

Remember...the EU will be with you...always.

Mandalore16

• Private
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2012, 07:25:41 PM »
What and why is the reason that made you love mandalorians?
their way of life and the way the armor looks!!
i am working on learning the language.
My verp looks better then your verp.

Fettishist

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2012, 06:00:29 PM »
Haven't chimed in for a dogs age. Hello to all.

For me, in 1980 it was Boba Fett on the deck of the Star Destroyer, looking so unique, yet some how evocative of a fallen Crusader in his great helm.
The armor, spoke of an unknown, mysterious history, and his stoney silence was somehow more tangible than even IG 88 ( also cool ).
The offer of a special action figure that could only be gotten through faithfully purchasing others, also reinforced the unspoken "espirit de corps".

Then, I read the novelization, in the weeks after seeing the Empire Strikes Back, and on one page, the bounty hunters were introduced....

"A battered and tarnished chrome colored droid named IG-88 was also with the group, standing next to the notorious Boba Fett. A human bounty hunter, Fett was known for his extremely ruthless methods. He was dressed in a weapon covered, armored spacesuit, the kind worn by a group of evil warriors defeated by the Jedi Knights during the Clone Wars. A few braided scalps completed his unsavory image. The very sight of Boba Fett sent a shudder of revulsion through the admiral."

I think I squeeled when I read it the first time.

Then, the armor and or Fett was referenced as "Mandalorian". Even that sounded cool. Attach that name to Macquarie's masterpiece design for a "Super Trooper" and I need say no more. Boba Fett's untimely and unresolved death in the Sarlacc only tamped down the fire. It did not go out, and the first appearances of his name in the early EU novels, like 1996's  "Tales of the Bounty Hunters" led to the stunning revelation on the opening pages of 1998's " The Mandalorian Armor/ Bounty Hunter Wars"  Trilogy. Boba was alive, and horribly scarred, but alive. Then it was like gasoline on the fire. The sleeping beast within the first generation of Star Wars fans, fans that had already determined that "Empire" was a unique film had been awoken. The introduction of Boba Fett to the original story , the ONLY outsider (non-Imperial, non-Emperorer, and still breathing officer) we'd ever seen that stood nose to nose with the Dark Lord and had the shebs to "debate", only cemented that uniqueness. Boba Fett was our unknown soldier, the man without a face, and now even his true face was obscured.

The future fleshing out of the mysterious galactic conflict known as the Clone Wars, supplemented by Karen Traviss' growing Mandalorian/ Clone Trooper mythology was like a banquet to a starving fan. And while I am not beyond doubting or debating aspects of her contribution to the mystique, I will always be hugely grateful for her contribution to the Universe.

Oh, and it was really about the Armor.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:17:22 PM by Fettishist »

dredwulf60

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2012, 08:41:03 PM »
Haven't chimed in for a dogs age. Hello to all.

For me, in 1980 it was Boba Fett on the deck of the Star Destroyer, looking so unique, yet some how evocative of a fallen Crusader in his great helm.
The armor, spoke of an unknown, mysterious history, and his stoney silence was somehow more tangible than even IG 88 ( also cool ).
The offer of a special action figure that could only be gotten through faithfully purchasing others, also reinforced the unspoken "espirit de corps".

Then, I read the novelization, in the weeks after seeing the Empire Strikes back, and onone page, the bounty hunters were introduced....

"A battered and tarnished chrome colored droid named IG-88 was also with the group, standing next to the notorious Boba Fett. A human bounty hunter, Fett was known for his extremely ruthless methods. He was dressed in a weapon covered, armored spacesuit, the kind worn by a group of evil warriors defeated by the Jedi Knights during the Clone Wars. A few braided scalps completed his unsavory image. The very sight of Boba Fett sent a shudder of revulsion through the admiral."

I think I squeeled when I read it the first time.

Then, the armor and or Fett was referenced as "Mandalorian". Even that sounded cool. Attach that name to Macquarie's masterpiece design for a "Super Trooper" and I need say no more. Boba Fett's untimely and unresolved death in the Sarlacc only tamped down the fire. It did not go out, and the first appearances of his name in the early EU novels, like 1996's  "Tales of the Bounty Hunters" led to the stunning revelation on the opening pages of 1998's " The Mandalorian Armor/ Bounty Hunter Wars"  Trilogy. Boba was alive, and horribly scarred, but alive. Then it was like gasoline on the fire. The sleeping beast within the first generation of Star Wars fans, fans that had already determined that "Empire" was a unique film had been awoken. The introduction of Boba Fett to the original story , the ONLY outsider (non-Imperial, non-Emperorer, and still breathing officer) we'd ever seen that stood nose to nose with the Dark Lord and had the shebs to "debate", only cemented that uniqueness. Boba Fett was our unknown soldier, the man without a face, and now even his true face was obscured.

The future fleshing out of the mysterious galactic conflict known as the Clone Wars, supplemented by Karen Traviss' growing Mandalorian/ Clone Trooper mythology was like a banquet to a starving fan. And while I am not beyond doubting or debating aspects of her contribution to the mystique, I will always be hugely grateful for her contribution to the Universe.

Oh, and it was really about the Armor.

Great post. 

Ruusaan

• Major
  • Little Miss Fem Mando
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2012, 12:04:16 AM »
The language, almost certainly. I'd like to think a linguist lives inside me. The Republic Commando books were a gateway, and once I realized there was a whole culture attached, I had to get in on it. The Mandalorian values are another big part of what attracted me to them. Family is important, but it's more than blood. I've got to agree with that.

Fettishist

• Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2012, 06:22:02 AM »
Thanks Dred.
There really were some lean years after RotJ and the real build up of EU stories.

dredwulf60

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2012, 08:52:18 AM »
Family is important, but it's more than blood. I've got to agree with that.

As the step father of two wonderful girls, I can't agree more.