Author Topic: A question for mandalorian fans!  (Read 29589 times)

Null-4 Kolburn Skirata

• Lieutenant
  • "ARCs were not team players."
Re: A question for mandalorian fans!
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2011, 01:22:38 AM »
You do know that they where never close to galactic domination.
Only in the Manadalorian Wars they where close to that and they lost.
Ke nu jurkad sha Mando'ade, burc'ya!- "Don't mess with Mandos, mate!" (lit: "Don't wave your saber at Mandalorians, mate!:)

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2011, 10:25:09 PM »
It's the concept that I like.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

Shereshoy

• Major
  • Bang. Bang. Bangbangbangbang!
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2011, 02:04:09 PM »
The idea gets me. The stonic belief, the clear purpose. The fact they know what they are, and what they have to do.
“God's promises are like the stars; the darker the night the brighter they shine”
-David Nicholas

You are two parts personality and one part confusion.- Eparavu

WinterBorn

• Private Recruit
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2011, 10:12:26 PM »
I like their strong sense of Duty and Family and doing whatever it takes to do what needs to be done. Also the don't just sit around on their shebs all day, they figure out what needs to be done and then the go out and do it.

Besides, just looking at the armor you know that the person inside is one serious bad a**.
<--ke nujurkadir sha Mando'ade-->

stopwatch

• Private
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2011, 05:14:38 PM »
i got drawn in by their sense of family and duty, but also they are very level headed and very reasonable and practical
i love the fact that there are no feminine or masculine tenses, that they treat everyone equal, that they accept anyone who wants to join, that they have no word for hero, because excellence should be the standard, how simple and practical things are for them, they are a reasonable and loyal culture

pluss they are total bad butts

Talo

• Captain
  • "Walk with doom, brother."
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2011, 02:04:36 PM »
The armor is what first caught my eye then their sense of honor, dignity and the combat prowess to make a Jedi stop in his tracks.

stopwatch

• Private
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2011, 02:30:13 PM »
The armor is what first caught my eye then their sense of honor, dignity and the combat prowess to make a Jedi stop in his tracks.

Side note did you know that bobs fetts armor design (and subsequently mandalorian armor design) was meant to make him sort of the space version of Clint Eastwood's man with no name character

Talo

• Captain
  • "Walk with doom, brother."
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
I've heard that before, yes.

Lil Vod

• Sergeant
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2011, 05:40:08 PM »
First: They're armor. It's awesome!!! Makes me drool sometimes. :P lol.

Second: Because they're not those dikutl'a New Mandalorians. They make me sick.  :dead:

Third: They're mysterious in their own way, and I like that.

Fourth, and lastly: Their weapons. They can really pack a punch.  :ouch:

dredwulf60

• Republic Provost Marshal
  • "Show me your hands...and other appendages..."
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2011, 07:43:02 PM »
This page is old, and has decayed links...but I think it gets the point across still:

http://www.oocities.org/tracybrown2003/mandalorian.html

(A variation/ homage on the original Ninja Homepage)

pm07

• Private
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2011, 04:57:33 PM »
For me:

Thier sense of family. They take anyone in no matter what thier background and accept them as family. Being willling to accept your brother and sisters, be willing to sacrifice everything for them, including your life if neccessary. Being adopted, and living my life the way I have work wise, this struck me the most about the Mandalorian culture.

Riotv2

• Captain
  • Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade.
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2011, 10:21:05 PM »
Mandalorians are paradox of ideals. In a sense they are what both the Jedi and Sith aspire to be...while at the same time not even being close.

They are the ruthlessly efficient killers, the perfect soldiers...who might also have a farm back home raising sheep or crops.

They accept you for who you are not who you were before the armor. The sense of Selfless (meaning: Non-Cult) community and family is unrivaled in any other group/faction I've seen.

Besides which they have produced some of the most memorable characters in all aspects of the SW Verse. (Movies, Books, Video games, even the Clone Wars series had a great character in Pre Vizla)

Any One can be Mando...in a general sense...i know not just anyone can put on the armor and be one.

It's not elitist like the Force Users, or  overly formal like the official Military of most worlds.

To sum it up...Mandalorians are the best of all worlds.

Besides...chicks dig the armor.
Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade.

A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead."

-------------------------------

Remember...the EU will be with you...always.

Mandalore16

• Private
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2012, 07:25:41 PM »
What and why is the reason that made you love mandalorians?
their way of life and the way the armor looks!!
i am working on learning the language.
My verp looks better then your verp.

Fettishist

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2012, 06:00:29 PM »
Haven't chimed in for a dogs age. Hello to all.

For me, in 1980 it was Boba Fett on the deck of the Star Destroyer, looking so unique, yet some how evocative of a fallen Crusader in his great helm.
The armor, spoke of an unknown, mysterious history, and his stoney silence was somehow more tangible than even IG 88 ( also cool ).
The offer of a special action figure that could only be gotten through faithfully purchasing others, also reinforced the unspoken "espirit de corps".

Then, I read the novelization, in the weeks after seeing the Empire Strikes Back, and on one page, the bounty hunters were introduced....

"A battered and tarnished chrome colored droid named IG-88 was also with the group, standing next to the notorious Boba Fett. A human bounty hunter, Fett was known for his extremely ruthless methods. He was dressed in a weapon covered, armored spacesuit, the kind worn by a group of evil warriors defeated by the Jedi Knights during the Clone Wars. A few braided scalps completed his unsavory image. The very sight of Boba Fett sent a shudder of revulsion through the admiral."

I think I squeeled when I read it the first time.

Then, the armor and or Fett was referenced as "Mandalorian". Even that sounded cool. Attach that name to Macquarie's masterpiece design for a "Super Trooper" and I need say no more. Boba Fett's untimely and unresolved death in the Sarlacc only tamped down the fire. It did not go out, and the first appearances of his name in the early EU novels, like 1996's  "Tales of the Bounty Hunters" led to the stunning revelation on the opening pages of 1998's " The Mandalorian Armor/ Bounty Hunter Wars"  Trilogy. Boba was alive, and horribly scarred, but alive. Then it was like gasoline on the fire. The sleeping beast within the first generation of Star Wars fans, fans that had already determined that "Empire" was a unique film had been awoken. The introduction of Boba Fett to the original story , the ONLY outsider (non-Imperial, non-Emperorer, and still breathing officer) we'd ever seen that stood nose to nose with the Dark Lord and had the shebs to "debate", only cemented that uniqueness. Boba Fett was our unknown soldier, the man without a face, and now even his true face was obscured.

The future fleshing out of the mysterious galactic conflict known as the Clone Wars, supplemented by Karen Traviss' growing Mandalorian/ Clone Trooper mythology was like a banquet to a starving fan. And while I am not beyond doubting or debating aspects of her contribution to the mystique, I will always be hugely grateful for her contribution to the Universe.

Oh, and it was really about the Armor.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:17:22 PM by Fettishist »

dredwulf60

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2012, 08:41:03 PM »
Haven't chimed in for a dogs age. Hello to all.

For me, in 1980 it was Boba Fett on the deck of the Star Destroyer, looking so unique, yet some how evocative of a fallen Crusader in his great helm.
The armor, spoke of an unknown, mysterious history, and his stoney silence was somehow more tangible than even IG 88 ( also cool ).
The offer of a special action figure that could only be gotten through faithfully purchasing others, also reinforced the unspoken "espirit de corps".

Then, I read the novelization, in the weeks after seeing the Empire Strikes back, and onone page, the bounty hunters were introduced....

"A battered and tarnished chrome colored droid named IG-88 was also with the group, standing next to the notorious Boba Fett. A human bounty hunter, Fett was known for his extremely ruthless methods. He was dressed in a weapon covered, armored spacesuit, the kind worn by a group of evil warriors defeated by the Jedi Knights during the Clone Wars. A few braided scalps completed his unsavory image. The very sight of Boba Fett sent a shudder of revulsion through the admiral."

I think I squeeled when I read it the first time.

Then, the armor and or Fett was referenced as "Mandalorian". Even that sounded cool. Attach that name to Macquarie's masterpiece design for a "Super Trooper" and I need say no more. Boba Fett's untimely and unresolved death in the Sarlacc only tamped down the fire. It did not go out, and the first appearances of his name in the early EU novels, like 1996's  "Tales of the Bounty Hunters" led to the stunning revelation on the opening pages of 1998's " The Mandalorian Armor/ Bounty Hunter Wars"  Trilogy. Boba was alive, and horribly scarred, but alive. Then it was like gasoline on the fire. The sleeping beast within the first generation of Star Wars fans, fans that had already determined that "Empire" was a unique film had been awoken. The introduction of Boba Fett to the original story , the ONLY outsider (non-Imperial, non-Emperorer, and still breathing officer) we'd ever seen that stood nose to nose with the Dark Lord and had the shebs to "debate", only cemented that uniqueness. Boba Fett was our unknown soldier, the man without a face, and now even his true face was obscured.

The future fleshing out of the mysterious galactic conflict known as the Clone Wars, supplemented by Karen Traviss' growing Mandalorian/ Clone Trooper mythology was like a banquet to a starving fan. And while I am not beyond doubting or debating aspects of her contribution to the mystique, I will always be hugely grateful for her contribution to the Universe.

Oh, and it was really about the Armor.

Great post. 

Ruusaan

• Major
  • Little Miss Fem Mando
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2012, 12:04:16 AM »
The language, almost certainly. I'd like to think a linguist lives inside me. The Republic Commando books were a gateway, and once I realized there was a whole culture attached, I had to get in on it. The Mandalorian values are another big part of what attracted me to them. Family is important, but it's more than blood. I've got to agree with that.

Fettishist

• Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2012, 06:22:02 AM »
Thanks Dred.
There really were some lean years after RotJ and the real build up of EU stories.

dredwulf60

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2012, 08:52:18 AM »
Family is important, but it's more than blood. I've got to agree with that.

As the step father of two wonderful girls, I can't agree more.