Author Topic: NECRO-Posting  (Read 5437 times)

dredwulf60

• Republic Provost Marshal
  • "Show me your hands...and other appendages..."
NECRO-Posting
« on: July 03, 2011, 06:58:54 PM »
From Wikipedia:
"Necroposting"occurs when a forum thread that has been inactive for a long time, typically years, is bumped by a reader, usually in response to what he inadvertently believes to be an ongoing discussion, perhaps coming from a web search rather than from within the forum.

From Urban Dictionary:

1. On a message board, posting something irrelevant on a really old topic to bring it to the top of the list topics. name comes from the fact that you are bringing it back from the dead, thus Necro. a practice common among n00blars.

2. The act of posting in a forum thread that is too old to matter any more, or has served it's purpose.
Usually by new, inexperienced members of the board.

So.  Is Necroposting good or bad?

I say the reason it is done has a lot to do with it.  Typically it is done by newcomers.  I can see two plausible reasons for this phenomenon to be done by new people:

1) They weren't around for the original discussion, and feel they have something to say on the matter.  Particularly if it's an A or B type question posed in the thread. ie a  "Peanut butter or Jam?" thread.  New person might see it and say "Holy crap!  I Looove peanut butter!  I'm sure everyone is dying to know that I do...so since I'm a member now...I'd better let everyone know."

Remember that the alternative is to start up a brand new thread just so that person can say their piece.  This is as bad, or worse, than necroposting.

2) The new person sees that there is a nominal ranking system on the site.  They have a low self esteem and wish to be seen to be a real someone on the site rather than just another 'newb'.  The most logical way, or so it would seem, would be to get the post count up.  That person may have enough awareness to realize that putting in 2 cents (at an average of 1cent per word) into every available thread is not going to win them any friends on the site...but then again they may not.  They may not realize it if they are quite young as well as new.

These people have to come to realize that you are judged by the quality of what you contribute, not by the quantity.  An old saying: "All it takes to be regarded as wise is to think up something stupid to say...and then not say it."

Now there is another reason for Necroposting that I can think of;  It's simply that the person doing it is trying to be a major shebs hole...and I don't mean the accumulation of rank.  If this is the case, we have ways to deal with them that go above the issue of necroposting.  Until the person is proven to be an shebs, then they will get the benefit of the doubt.

How to deal with Necroposting.

I'd love to say shoot the thread in the head and it will stay dead...but that's not always an option.  Only the mods can actually put the threads down for good.    So if you see someone necroposting, it's best to evaluate the reason why.

If they are new, see if they have made any relevant point in the old thread.  It might actually spark up a valid discussion.  If the item posted doesn't interest you at all...then just ignore it.  Maybe there are other newer people who missed the thread the first time around who might like to weigh in on the issue.  If no one finds it interesting, the thread will die again for the same reasons it died originally.  Kind of a self-correcting problem.

If the person has made numerous necroposts and they have added nothing of real value to the discussion, then a polite welcome and a note about necroposting is probably warranted.  You are a member, you are within your rights to mention this, with courtesy.

If the new person becomes belligerent about the issue, you can bet the mods will wade in with the heavy ordnance at the ready.  Feel free  to give one of us a little tap if we don't notice the situation right off.

In general, the overall unwritten rule is, have fun and where possible add something worthwhile to the discussion.  If all your posts are about upping your post count...you will not likely have a long or enjoyable stay.

your Republic Provost Marshal

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 10:36:38 PM by Amy »

Grunt Trooper

• Zone Lord
  • Commander
Re: NECRO-Posting
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 09:47:02 PM »
=']

Another beautiful story from a great leader. It makes me want to get a torch and pitchfork to go find some of those practicing the Black arts and Necro Posting.

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 10:48:44 PM »
I love Cops....
The  purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in
defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more
important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

Drake and I agreed on something. Somebody get the camera out to capture the moment.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 01:31:52 AM »
I love Canadian cops. The Canadians seem to hire competent people for that particular job.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

Laney97

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 12:30:57 PM »
This should've been posted a long time ago. What took so long? Why this timing?

I think there should be a system or something where new members need to read this sort of stuff. (If that can happen)

dredwulf60

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 05:33:30 PM »
I think it's because we generally hope that this stuff "goes without saying."  But sometimes we are reminded that common sense isn't all that common.

Personally I like that Amy didn't go and set down a list of arbitrary rules for the forum.  As soon as you make hard rules, you have shebs whose goal in life is to circumvent them...so then you need more rules and clarifications to plug the loopholes.

I remember when one personality got the Big Boot from this forum, their main complaint was (paraphrased): "No where on the forum did I see a set of rules...so what rule violation caused me to get banned?"

But basically it was that one golden rule:  Thou shalt not be a shebs.  With that one understood, you don't need a big list of do's and don'ts.

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 06:38:39 PM »
The other golden rule being "Thou shall not anger the mods or owner of the forum."

Drake and I agreed on something. Somebody get the camera out to capture the moment.

dredwulf60

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 11:07:37 PM »
The other golden rule being "Thou shall not anger the mods or owner of the forum."

Yes..well...I figured the quickest way to do that is to be a shebs.  So... it's all golden.

Laney97

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 02:19:22 PM »
Ooh, golden shiny things.

But the problem with "Thou shalt not be a shebs" isn't clear for some. Some people definitions of being a sheb might differ from others.

Yeah. I'll follow the golden rules.

dredwulf60

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 12:27:34 AM »
Ooh, golden shiny things.

But the problem with "Thou shalt not be a shebs" isn't clear for some. Some people definitions of being a sheb might differ from others.

And that's why Amy invented mods.  :D

Amy

• Clone Marshall Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 01:13:43 AM »
Yeah, that's generally why I don't ban people without giving them a few warnings and instructions how to modify their behaviour first. If they repeatedly ignore me or the mods, then they don't belong here.

But it's pretty much like Dred said: if I'd tried to explicitly write all the rules from the beginning, I never could have got them all. And frankly, I'm not keen on wasting my time writing a set of elaborate rules that most people won't read anyways.

Also, I have no illusions (and neither should any of you) that this is a democracy. If someone here is acting in such a manner that they bring down the community as a whole, rather than contributing to it, they are gone. For the simple reason that I am Supreme Dictator and I say so. ;)

I try to be fair, obviously, but ultimately it's my decision who stays or goes, with input from my trusty mods. And if anyone has a problem with that, they can go start their own forum.

Null-4 Kolburn Skirata

• Lieutenant
  • "ARCs were not team players."
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 02:48:34 AM »
Copy that commander!
Ke nu jurkad sha Mando'ade, burc'ya!- "Don't mess with Mandos, mate!" (lit: "Don't wave your saber at Mandalorians, mate!:)

Laney97

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 12:18:14 PM »
Now that you mention it, I might try and start an unnoficial Battlefield forum one day.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 01:43:53 PM »
How is that pertinent to anything in this topic?

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 12:41:55 AM »
Oh lighten up and leave Laney alone.

It may not be pertinent but oh well, that's what we like about Laney. Almost like we like you when you get on people's nerves. Still love ya Drake!!!

Laney97

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 02:48:20 PM »

^Neither is that.

Anyway, was this made because of Kolburn? No offence to him, but he has been a bit on the Necro-posting side.

Rune

• Official Site Mir'shebs
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 03:56:56 PM »
No need to point fingers. It's a good thing that it's here now, and that it can be used as a referrence for all new members. Kolburn might have brought the issue to mind, but if it was just about him, then a PM would've worked out just as well. This is for everybody.

@Dred: Thanks for being awesome. Keep up the great work, it's much appreciated.

Laney97

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 01:00:33 PM »
I didn't mean it was just him. I'm just saying that was it made in response to the amount he did, and now the Mods are sick of it and want to start doing normal stuff (Whatever Mods do. Painting nails maybe? DON"T KILL ME), so they have finally posted a notice about it.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 08:47:51 PM »
So yes, you are pointing your finger, and I agree with Rune, there is no need.

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 10:03:20 PM »
No one pointed a finger. Laney asked a question. Laney next time you should consider going through Drake if you have a question. Then ask anyway.