Author Topic: Did the Savage Opress arc make sense to you?  (Read 12387 times)

FDOIRex

• Lieutenant
  • Testing...123...
Did the Savage Opress arc make sense to you?
« on: September 03, 2011, 11:25:44 PM »
Did the Savage Opress arc (especially the ending) make sense to you? I felt that the ending was one of the most illogical things featured in the series.

Bonus Question - Do you think it lived up to the hype?
Quote from: RC-1140
Accessing Anti-Air controls. Ooh, this is nice. I can do much better than just "offline." Separatist turrets now targeting... Separatist craft.

tee18

• Lieutenant
Re: Did the Savage Opress arc make sense to you?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 07:06:56 AM »
It started out making sense, then got confusing. It was good up until Opress went to help Dooku. Then it got weird.

Bonus Answer: Not at all. I was expecting no Jedi, or at least few Jedi.
"When walking through hell, keep going" -Winston Churchhill

Delta 42

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 07:15:48 AM »
The only thing that is of my concern is Delta Squad!  8)

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 09:41:20 AM »
I think it'll make more sense after Season 4.

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.

FDOIRex

• Lieutenant
  • Testing...123...
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 08:11:48 PM »

Sorry Vode, but I doubt it. Hell, There was an entire story arc (Mortis) devoted to NOT making sense.

Anyways, this was a classic Lucas episode. Paper-thin character with bizzare motivations and inconsistencies...
Accessing Anti-Air controls. Ooh, this is nice. I can do much better than just "offline." Separatist turrets now targeting... Separatist craft.

tee18

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 09:56:11 PM »
It will definately make more sense, with a bit more confusion thrown in...

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 11:06:41 PM »
I actually really liked this arc. It went into the character of Asaaj, into the relationship between the sith, and we got to see lots of cool things along the way; such as Dathomir, all the martial arts, some great lightsaber fights, some awesome brutal moments with Savage.

In my opinion some of the best episodes of the series in terms of atmosphere and execution. The trials the Zabraki had to go through for Asaaj's selection were cool, especially the second one, where Savage and his bros were getting picked off one by one, that was super creepy.

Savage wasn't really a paper-thin character, if you recall at the beginning of the arc he expressed serious concern for his brother, laying down arms at one point to make sure he was alright. I don't get why you think its confusing. Asaaj and the Nightsisters manipulated him with some creepy force juju and turned him into an emotionless tank. Then he is constantly abused by Dooku, abondoned by Asaaj, and basically left on his own. So he journeys back to Dathomir, the only place he can call home.

The thing is, I think this Mother Talzin, the leader of the Nightsisters has private machinations of her own; quite like Darth Sidious/Palpatine. And Savage, instead of being Asaaj's method of revenge or Dooku's weapon, is now her own pawn.

The whole point of the exact ending not making sense is its a cliffhanger. There's going to be a follow-up.

BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips

FDOIRex

• Lieutenant
  • Testing...123...
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 11:37:02 PM »
Here's the most confusing part:

Savage goes through the monster ritual and kills his brother. He willingly follows Asajj through her plan. Towards the end, he suddenly feels Asajj betrayed him, which makes no sense. He never got a close enough relationship with Ventress to feel she betrayed him, and he displayed no animosity towards Ventress when he first killed his brother. And if he did feel this way, why go back to the Nightsisters? Not to mention the pointless Anakin/Obi-Wan plot which added nothing to the plot (We knew where Savage came from!) and the other odd things that added to the confusion (The 'force poke', for one)

I think the hype was not good for it. It was hyped as being the great introduction to a new villain, and we got an odd story about Darth Maul meets Starkiller.

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 01:37:51 AM »
See, when Asaaj is in that saber lock with Dooku, and Savage is continuously getting blasted by Force Lightning, Asaaj renounces him in a way. She calls him weak, says he won't be her downfall bla bla bla.

And at this point I think Savage has just had enough. You can see he's tired of losing, so he goes ape$#!t crazy on everyone else. Now that everyone else is against him, where would he go? It serves the story for him to return to Dathomir.

As for Anakin/Obi-Wan's part being pointless, well, that's true. It was unnecessary.

I still liked it though  :P

Shereshoy

• Major
  • Bang. Bang. Bangbangbangbang!
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 11:09:37 AM »
It made more sence than Doctor Who's been making. Except the Darth Maul part.
“God's promises are like the stars; the darker the night the brighter they shine”
-David Nicholas

You are two parts personality and one part confusion.- Eparavu

Jaig

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 02:06:11 PM »
I second the above remark. I did think that the Oppress arc was probably the best written of that whole season. The only think that broke my suspension of disbelief was the constant lead-up that Oppress and Ventress could only win against Dooku if they fought together.... and then proceeded to be such very good sports and fight him one at a time.

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 02:30:49 PM »
Well, to be fair, Dooku was frying Savage with lightning every shabla time the Zabrak charged at him!

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.

tee18

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 09:46:24 PM »
I thought the story was OK, but I thought komino was better.

Shereshoy

• Major
  • Bang. Bang. Bangbangbangbang!
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 10:32:50 PM »
Urm, KAmino. I didn't like how Grevious was with Ventress in that one.
“God's promises are like the stars; the darker the night the brighter they shine”
-David Nicholas

You are two parts personality and one part confusion.- Eparavu

tee18

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 05:38:08 AM »
Urm, KAmino. I didn't like how Grevious was with Ventress in that one.
that WAS dum... but otherwise, it was ok

Lil Vod

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 07:31:17 PM »
Now, what was awesome, is umbara. Man, those episodes were INTENSE!!!!!!!  :shock:

Mudcrutch, it made Geonosis look like a ballerina dancing on stage with a giant tutu on!  :yawn:

The reason I said the ballerina thing, is because, ballerinas are BOOOORRRRRIIINGGG! Not that Geonsis weren't good episodes or anyhting.

YourCompanionCube

• Private
  • Sullen
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 09:33:32 AM »
Meh, somewhat. The ending has depressed me. He was so awesome. And Voiced by Clancy Brown. Only *he* could deliver such a deep and cool voice.
Please stay until I'm gone
 I'm here hold on
 To me I'm right here waiting
 And take my one last breath,
 and don't forget
 That I will be right here waiting

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 08:49:39 PM »
Well, once Maul showed up Opress was pretty much useless. Savage went from being really interesting to pretty darn boring. I'm not too upset about his death.