Author Topic: Zombie RPG  (Read 5839 times)

CT-1199 Oronk

• The Dude
  • Commander
Zombie RPG
« on: October 17, 2011, 08:32:14 PM »
Anybody feel up for one? I thought if we do one we should go off the beaten path and do one based in the real world, that is if everyone is interested of course
BUY GUNS A **** LOAD OF GUNS!

"All Mercs know the jambo!" (Chris Tanto)

Talo

• Captain
  • "Walk with doom, brother."
Re: Zombie RPG
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 08:38:02 PM »
I'll put something together over the next few days k?

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 08:43:38 PM »
I'll play, I won't be super active cause I'm pretty buys with school, but I'll still play.

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 01:07:11 AM »
You had me at RPG.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

Delta 42

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 01:17:33 AM »
I'll join. I have a load of free time.
But I've never played an RPG, here or otherwise.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 12:11:15 AM »
Don't worry, I'll show you the ropes.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

Delta 42

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 12:24:30 AM »
Thanks, Drake.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 12:25:16 AM »
You thank me now.....

Delta 42

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 12:26:03 AM »
What does that mean?

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 12:39:36 AM »
I'm being cryptic and mildly threatening. The usual.

Anyway, I'm thinking we should go either the Zombieland or Left 4 Dead route. It's a question of do we want slow zombies, fast zombies, and/or special zombies. We definitely want to have to meet up, maybe give a little back story on where we were when it all started.

Eparavu

• Captain
  • ALWAYS
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 02:00:40 PM »
Why did nobody tell me someone said zombies?

No hate here, only creeper love.
Watching you through your windows.
Staring from a distance.
Always watching.
Always loving.
ALWAYS.

CT-1199 Oronk

• The Dude
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 07:34:02 PM »
Ill get together with Drake Talo and the RPG Vets for story. Which btw im thinkin about a military themed zed RPG

CT-1199 Oronk

• The Dude
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 04:50:32 PM »
Alright so since I cant seem to catch up with the vets im just going to post the idea for the story and see what you all think.

Zombie Back story:
An unexplained virus has caused a global epidemic where those who are infected with it (While still alive) are filled with the basic instinct to kill and they run as fast as possible at the slightest sound or noise but are still mainly sight orientated (they do however emit a scream which attracts other Infected and Zombies alike). They posses no logic or reason as they kill people through bite or beating them to death by bare hand. In order to kill them they just need to suffer the same amount of damage that it would take to kill a normal human being it has been observed that if an Infected is starving it will eat the flesh of other living animals to stay alive. The worst part of this virus however comes into affect AFTER death as the corpse is reanimated with one primal need, To feast on human flesh (while they will not pass up an opportunity to devour animal flesh human flesh seems to be the preferred choice of a "Zed" diet). These "zeds" as they are called need to suffer extreme damage to the brain in order to kill them as all their other organs shutdown after resurrection and it is only the brain that keeps them moving. Also they are only capable of walking as they have no ability to to care for themselves they do not feel hunger or any other type of feeling or emotion, after spotting prey they will emit a moan that attracts Infected and Zombies alike. Zed have lost the ability of sight (Their tear glands no longer function and they dont know how to blink) as such their other senses have been increased exponentially. They have the ability to hear something far away (such as the moans or screams of the Zed or infected) and have a extraordinary sense of smell. It should be noted that while Zed or Infected do not posses logic or reasoning they will follow a scream or a moan in order to investigate and these screams or moans are only loosed after prey has been spotted. Also a bite by either Zed or Infected will transmit this virus and turn the bitten victim into a Infected. Turning into a infected could take anywhere from a couple hours to 14 days depending on the bites location (So if you are bitten in a major artery you have about 2 hours but if you are bitten in an area that has less blood flow say a ear or a part of the hand you have 14 days).

Zombie Back Story summary:
Essentially all this means is that we have both types of zombies fast and slow the fast zombies are still alive and only require bullet to the heart or a major artery in order to kill. But zed (which are Infected resurrected after death) NEED a headshot.

The Story:
 The virus outbreak started in America (It is unknown where the outbreak truly started as in one day multiple cases of outbreaks started in multiple city's) which quickly spread like wildfire to Canada and Mexico as people tried to escape the virus after being bitten who turned into Infected themselves and began to spread the virus to South America. America beset by the Infected and Zed alike requested aid from the UN (before bitten individuals boarded planes to other countries which is how other countries experienced outbreaks) which was sent from multiple nations. One week after the foreign troops arrived the virus took hold in their host countries however they are unable to return as all airports and seaports were over run with Infected and Zed so they are stuck in America and are helping the Americans get organized so they can help the foreign troops to get back to their host countries.

RPG Plot:
Currently the American Government is retreating behind the west side of the Rocky Mountains and making it a safe zone for refugees however their are still Military Units on the East side being recalled to the safe zone (And that is where we will be east of the safe zone and the RPG will end with us on the West Coast). However the American Government is issuing orders to Military Units to not allow civilians to follow but to make them create their own communities which will distract the Infected and Zed hordes long enough to allow the Government time to regroup (This is going to play into the Moral aspect of the story whether or not we allow civvies to follow us)

RPG Units allowed to be played:
Essentially what we are going to do is allow ANY foreign foot troops (SF, Normal Inf etc) allied with America to be played in this story or of course you can play as Domestic foot troops (SF, INF etc.) all trying to retreat behind the Rocky Mountain line.

P.S. If anybody thinks this is TL so they DR then just read the summary and RPG units allowed.

dredwulf60

• Republic Provost Marshal
  • "Show me your hands...and other appendages..."
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 01:34:13 PM »
Wanting fast AND slow zombies eh?

I know the feeling.  I handled it exactly the same way in my game.

http://forum.clonecommandos.net/index.php?topic=2084.0

Specifically:
I wanted the best of both worlds; the classic Romero zombies: corpses that stagger along with slow but mindless determination, and the newer fast zombie types as seen in ‘28 Days Later’ and the Dawn of the Dead remake.

So the way this plague worked was that initial infection had a very fast incubation resulting in ‘ragers’ that would sprint after victims and attempt to infect them.  If an infected rager was killed in any manner except by brain injury, they would fall, and then re-animate as a ‘Roamer’ zombie, a slow, shambling, mindless automaton.  (Or a ‘Lurker’, a zombie that just waits silently wherever they are for a hapless victim.)

Roamers were depicted as so mindlessly determined that if they saw prey drive by in a vehicle, they would follow with a nearly supernatural tracking ability, catching up hours, days or even weeks later, and bringing others with them.

My game was set 17 years after...so most of the ragers had starved to death...but a resurgence was always possible wherever there were survivors.

Eparavu

• Captain
  • ALWAYS
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 01:42:56 PM »
Wow that was genius Dred.

Staring from a distance.
Always watching.
Always loving.
ALWAYS.

dredwulf60

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 04:15:51 PM »
Well...it's just like Oronk....wanting the best of both worlds, and finding a way to shoe-horn them together.  Like chocolate and peanut butter....that wants to eat you.

Eparavu

• Captain
  • ALWAYS
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 04:18:18 PM »
I just meant the detail, it fit together well.

Staring from a distance.
Always watching.
Always loving.
ALWAYS.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 05:39:16 PM »
I vote we use Dred's zombies.

CT-1199 Oronk

• The Dude
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 08:18:31 PM »
Arent they pretty much the same though?

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 10:43:52 PM »
Dred's don't scream or moan, have their sight, and follow you until they find you, and have better names.

dredwulf60

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 11:21:29 PM »
Dred's don't scream or moan, have their sight, and follow you until they find you, and have better names.

I'm assuming this is sarcasm.  I chimed in on the discussion because the solution Oronk came up with to having both types are identical as far as I can tell with mine.  :)  Which I thought 'cool'. 

Terminology:  As explored in various zombie sources, zombies will be called by various names by different groups, even within the same storyline.

'Zed' is a slang term from World War Z, but they used other names as well in that book.  I went with 'Lurker' and 'Roamer' of the Walking Dead comics...but the group of main characters there ran into another group that called them all 'Biters'.  So it's all a rose by any other name.

The zombies in my game did scream, in the Ragers mode (they were also called Infected from time to time, as well as Berzerkers).

The post-death version, the Lurkers, Shamblers, etc did moan.  I never got into their senses too much, because that's all very biological and there was no one who was able to tell for sure.  (I used Max Brooks' Solanum as detailed in WWZ and the Zombie Survival)

But I wanted them to 'somehow' be able to track by some unexplained instinct over days or weeks.  This was a setting requirement because I wanted a major incentive for the players to either keep mobile or find a defensible place to hole up.  Knowing that if you pass a couple roamers...you need to get enough distance before you camp for the night....or you'll have guests later that night. 

(I have game synopses posted in that other link for those who want to see how it came into play.)

CT-1199 Oronk

• The Dude
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 02:14:20 AM »
So what drake is sayin he just wants your names for the zed is it fine if we use them?

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 04:15:45 AM »
I'm assuming this is sarcasm.

Ding ding ding!

dredwulf60

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 11:55:12 AM »
So what drake is sayin he just wants your names for the zed is it fine if we use them?

Fill your boots.  As I said, they aren't 'my' names.

Delta 42

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2011, 08:00:31 PM »
Can my character be a SWAT officer?

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2011, 08:10:14 PM »
It would make sense that a SWAT member would join up.

Delta 42

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 04:38:05 AM »
Can we post our character sheets yet?

CT-1199 Oronk

• The Dude
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Ill make the actual RPG thread today

Delta 42

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2011, 06:49:31 PM »
OK.