Author Topic: Life Day: A Christmas-Themed One-Shot  (Read 5061 times)

ScreechTheMighty

• Major
  • Yes, I'm This Crazy IRL Too...
Life Day: A Christmas-Themed One-Shot
« on: December 24, 2011, 10:27:19 PM »
So I COULD work on Abyss...or I could post this instead. Because Christmas. Or Life Day. Whatever.

Anyway, hope you like it! (Also, just a note for time frame, this boys are like, seven or eight in this.)

“…Three-Eight?”

“Yeah, Six-Two?”

“I’m cold.”

Somewhere in the darkness of the cave, Forty sighed. “Six-Two, go back to sleep,” he grumbled, curling up in a tighter ball.  Sev, who was huddled close to him for warmth, didn’t even stir.

“I wasn’t talking to you,” pouted Six-Two.  He pulled his poncho—their only extra layer over the red reliefs—more tightly around his shoulders.  If Three-Eight listened hard, he could hear his brother’s teeth chattering.  “Is it supposed to be this cold?”

“It’s snowing,” said Three-Eight.  Well, it was sort of snowing.  It was all artificially-created indoor snow.  Didn’t make it any warmer in the test chamber.  “So I’d assume so, yes.”

“Oh.”  Six-Two scooted closer to Boss.  “We’re not going to freeze to death, are we?”

“I don’t think so.  They wouldn’t stick us out here and turn the temperature down just to kill us.”  The exercise was designed to help build their resistance to elemental extremes.  Honestly, Three-Eight preferred the extreme heat exercise (once they’d found water, anyway).  Out here, there wasn’t much relief aside from the small (completely unhelpful) fire they’d managed to build and each others’ body heat.  “We’ll be fine.  We survived the other one.”

“Mmm.”  For a brief second, Six-Two was actually quiet.  Then he started talking again:  “Three-Eight?”

“Yeah, Six-Two?”

“I think it’s Life Day.”

Three-Eight turned to stare blankly at Six-Two.  “Huh?”

“Life Day.  I think it’s today.”

“What’s Life Day?”

“I…don’t really know.  Some kind of holiday?”

“For fierfeck’s sake…”  Forty lifted his head to glare at Six-Two.  “Have you been hanging around those Null ARCs and Sergeant Skirata again?”

“…Maybe.”

Forty sighed.  “Don’t you remember what Sergeant Vau said?  That lot is bonkers.  You shouldn’t listen to them.”

“What’s the point anyway?”  That was Sev.  Guess he wasn’t sleeping.  “We don’t even know what it is.  Why should we bother celebrating it?”

“I don’t know.”  Six-Two shrugged.  “I just thought that was kind of interesting.”

“Yeah, well, I’m trying to sleep.”  Fixer rolled over, muttering something about morons and pointlessness.  He wasn’t cheerful on a good day, forget when he was freezing cold and sleep-deprived.

“I guess he kind of has a point,” muttered Six-Two.  Again, he huddled closer to Three-Eight, probably to avoid the wrath of cold, sleep-deprived Forty.  He looked so dejected that Three-Eight felt a little bad for him.

“Maybe not,” Three-Eight replied quietly.  He glanced at the fire to make sure it wasn’t going out.  “Did you hear Sergeant Skirata say what it was about?”

“Not really.  Something about family and being together.”  He frowned.  “…But…”

“But what?”

“We’re a family, right?”

“’Course we are.”  Three-Eight fed another small branch into the fire.  “And?”

“Well, we’re all alive and together, yeah?”

“Yeah.”

“So…I guess we kinda have a reason to celebrate.”

Three-Eight laughed slightly.  “Yeah…I guess you’re right.  I didn’t think about it that way.”  He elbowed his brother affectionately.  “Hey, happy Life Day vod’ika.”

“Happy Life Day, vod.” 

And suddenly, the cold didn’t seem so bad.

Merry Christmas! :3
I review, I write, I ramble!

Notes Passed at the GAR--Ask our boys anything!

"Sev. Punching an ARC. Your argument is invalid." -Ky'ram Parjai'Kote

Delta 42

• Captain
Re: Life Day: A Christmas-Themed One-Shot
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 01:13:11 AM »
I liked it.  :)

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
  • Nulla e reale, tutto e lecito
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 02:37:15 AM »
So I looked at this kinda on a whim.  "Who's actually writing a Life Day story??"  I expected it to be cheezy and generally suck.

It didn't.  It was short, and I would've liked it if Delta learned about Life Day from somebody/something other then Kal (why exactly does he know all about a Wookiee holiday?), but dumb little nit-picks aside, I really liked it.  Seriously.  It was sweet, but not overly, and you nailed the individual personalities.  Great job, Screech.  And Merry Christmas! :D
"To say nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

ScreechTheMighty

• Major
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 12:09:15 PM »
I liked it.  :)

I'm glad! ^^ Thank you!

So I looked at this kinda on a whim.  "Who's actually writing a Life Day story??"  I expected it to be cheezy and generally suck.

It didn't.  It was short, and I would've liked it if Delta learned about Life Day from somebody/something other then Kal (why exactly does he know all about a Wookiee holiday?), but dumb little nit-picks aside, I really liked it.  Seriously.  It was sweet, but not overly, and you nailed the individual personalities.  Great job, Screech.  And Merry Christmas! :D

Thank you! :3 (I'm actually really glad you don't think it's corny...you always run the risk of that writing something like this.) Merry Christmas!

And Kal knows about Life Day because Midichlorians. (Me/some friends decided that's the answer to everything in Star Wars. Including why there's sound in space.)

Shereshoy

• Major
  • Bang. Bang. Bangbangbangbang!
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 12:22:17 PM »
How about because Enacca?
“God's promises are like the stars; the darker the night the brighter they shine”
-David Nicholas

You are two parts personality and one part confusion.- Eparavu

Ky'ram Parjai'Kote

• Disgruntled MMORPG
  • Commander
  • Hates Bioware officially.
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 12:51:03 PM »
How about because of a lack of prepositions? Hmm...?

This was really good, Screech!
Lists of games I play:
-- Star Trek Online
-- KOTOR (1 and 2)
-- SWTOR
-- Terraria
-- TF2
-- Magicka
-- Left 4 Dead 2
-- Garry's Mod
And nearly any other F2P game on this planet.

ScreechTheMighty

• Major
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 01:10:28 PM »

What Sher said.

How about because of a lack of prepositions? Hmm...?

This was really good, Screech!

Prepositions are too mainstream.

And thank you! ^^

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
  • Nulla e reale, tutto e lecito
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 01:59:07 AM »
Thank you! :3 (I'm actually really glad you don't think it's corny...you always run the risk of that writing something like this.) Merry Christmas!
You're welcome!  And it definitely wasn't corny, it was perfectly sweet. :)

And Kal knows about Life Day because Midichlorians. (Me/some friends decided that's the answer to everything in Star Wars. Including why there's sound in space.)
^lolz

Fair enough.
"To say nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 11:13:19 AM »
Yay! Good story. 8)

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.

ScreechTheMighty

• Major
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 11:53:09 AM »
Thanks, Colt! ^^