Poll

Which force user do you like?

Bardan Jusik
Etain
Venku or Kad
all of the above
none

Author Topic: Force useing Mandos.  (Read 5523 times)

Mandalore16

• Private
Force useing Mandos.
« on: January 05, 2012, 07:31:23 PM »
Whats your take on this subject?

i think being an force user and mando would be great!
My verp looks better then your verp.

dredwulf60

• Republic Provost Marshal
  • "Show me your hands...and other appendages..."
Re: Force useing Mandos.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 08:28:35 PM »
I think the very concept is an abomination that should be scoured from existence. 

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 10:53:19 PM »
Despite the cliche and idocy of how it has been handled in most cases, it's valid.

Mandalorians by definition accept everyone willing to adhere to their few tenants. That includes force-users. Jedi and Sith, however, cannot be Mandalorian. They are Jedi and Sith.

Different argument in my opinion.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

Mereel Skirata

• Mod Staff
  • Senior Clone Commander
  • For Mandalore!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
  It is kinda hard to describe how I feel about it. I guess if I had so sum it up  I'd kinda agree with Dred.  While it would be "great" to be a force user,  if you were at all Mandalorian hard and true you would have a somewhat distaste for the force and anyone who wields it. 

The easiest way for me to put it is this.   Say you are a Jedi, and you became a mando but didn't tell anyone, then the Order founds out.   What do you think their reaction would be?   Same could be said for the Mandalorians.   Its possible, but you would not be making friends of your fellow Mando'ade.
Resident Costumer.

"Now boys.. no comparing verp sizes...."

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
  • Nulla e reale, tutto e lecito
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 12:04:01 AM »
Like Drake said, it's bound to happen every once in a while.  Can't escape it.  As for my honest opinion on a Force-using Mandalorian?  If you create a good character and a good story, I'm down.  Wow me.  Simple as that.

But Jedi convert's been done, so you're going to have to go harder.  And it shouldn't just be an excuse to give a Mando a lightsaber.
"To say nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

dredwulf60

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 01:42:25 AM »
Okay, here's my reasoning behind my opinion:

Using The Force takes the utmost dedication and training.  It is not something accomplished lightly.

Consider that Luke Skywalker was a person who had incredible potential with the Force...yet he grew up without even knowing it.  Without the training of Obi-Wan and his own subsequent devotion to learning, it's likely he could have gone his entire life without even knowing The Force.   Sure there might be minor effects, but nothing that couldn't be chalked up to 'luck' or latent skill.   (Like Anakin pod racing, or having some strange dreams that sometimes come true).

Now on the other side of the coin you have a Mandalorian.  I think people forget about what it would take to actually be a Mandalorian.  They think...born into or adopted into a Mando family....*check*....get some mando armour...*check*....get a mando attitude to life and family....*check*...woo-hoo!  I'm a mandalorian!!

If this were the case, mandalorians would get wiped out as the bas-shebs'e of the galaxy.  In order to build and maintain their reputations, they need to be able to back up their reputations.  This takes training, especially if you consider the number of warrior cultures and societies onour own planet and then imagine that on a galactic scale.

Consider the promises made by their reputation: they have to be THE best warrior/soldiers in the entire galaxy...not just a few individuals, but EVERY ONE of them has to be among the best. Think about the training and sacrifice made by Earth's Navy SEALS and Special Air Service and JTF2 Operatives...we aren't talking about the best of those organizations...but that every single one of them has a minimum level of training and ability just to be among those units.

Then multiply that skill and ability by several factors because you are competing with the warrior societies of thousands of worlds.  It amounts to a dedicated lifetime of training and experience in fighting;  That doesn't leave a lot of room for learning about and mastering something esoteric like 'The Force', especially if there isn't a core of support within the organization.

The Jedi have a long tradition of using The Force.  They are the guardians of learning and using The Force...it's what they do.  They recruit from infancy and those recruits do very little with the rest of their lives except learn to fight with a laser sword, maybe fly a space ship...and use The Force.  Many never complete the training to become Jedi, and even the ones that do aren't even all that great at using The Force.

A Mandalorian who has the ability to use The Force is likely going to go 'undiagnosed'.  And even if it is discovered, there is not likely to be anyone capable of training that person to do anything reliable or practical with The Force, since it's not typically within the Mandalorian community's precis.

So, I'll concede that under the rarist, most contrived situations, it could happen...but it would be as common as a tattooine moisture farmer opening a jedi academy.

Even then, that rare Mando Force user might be capable of a few 'parlour tricks' at best.  Nothing that his skill and training could accomplish more quickly and efficiently in most situations.

A'den Skirata

• Major
  • Keldabe kiss anyone?Club
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 09:08:37 AM »
reading the OP post made my brain hurt. Reading Dred's response was absolutely awesome and the most appropriate answer out there. Wanting to type my own reply made my eyes bleed...

Simply, if it aint a canon character assigned to that station it's fanboy fantasy. Enjoy it but... NO!
Personnel Officer Mandalorian Mercs Costuming Club. Ver'alor Manda'galaar Aliit.
www.mandalorianmercs.com
myspace.com/jaingskirata
http://mercs.firespray.net/wiki/index.php?title=A%27den_Skirata

Mandalore16

• Private
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 10:52:45 AM »
but what about Jusik and Etain........or maybe not Etain.........but Jusik converted and Kad was stuck with it.
although i do see the point made. force and mandos do not mix well.
My verp looks better then your verp.

dredwulf60

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 03:23:56 PM »
but what about Jusik and Etain........or maybe not Etain.........but Jusik converted and Kad was stuck with it.

Simply, if it aint a canon character assigned to that station it's fanboy fantasy. Enjoy it but... NO!

Basically, we are forced to accept those few.  But any more than those are beyond toleration.