Author Topic: Hunger Games  (Read 4979 times)

Fenn Shysa

• Captain
Hunger Games
« on: February 27, 2012, 08:21:09 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunger_Games
I just finished this book - and, loved it !
-Anyone else read it?

Anyone else interested in the movie that is coming out next month?
http://www.thehungergamesmovie.com/index2.html

As I say, the book was awesome; and, I'm very psyched for the movie
[spoiler]I'm a little embarrassed to say that I recently discovered that the book is classified as a young-adult novel geared for adoloscent girls[spoiler]I am neither adoloscent; nor a girl.[/spoiler][/spoiler]
"I find your lack of faith distrubing."

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
Re: Hunger Games
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 10:35:46 PM »
Could have fooled me....

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

RC-1499

• Lieutenant
  • Nau vak'to, dralshye'raj
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 10:48:08 PM »
I have read the first book and really want to read the next two. I loved the first and i am seriously considering skipping school to see the movie.

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 11:54:50 PM »
Never read it. Maybe someday . . . right now A Storm of Swords is occupying my bedside table.

Fenn Shysa

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:24:07 AM »
really want to read the next two
Same here, Book 2 is on the top of my to-do-list.

i am seriously considering skipping school to see the movie
I commend you for your zeal and enthusiasm. [While in good conscience, I cannot recommend truancy; I am gladdened to see such determination].

Never read it. Maybe someday
I predict that as the release date of the movie draws near you will be so overcome by the growing hype that you will take a page from RC-1499's book and either skip school, call in sick to work, and/or lie to whomever you have to - in order to see this movie.

[spoiler]It's even popular in Spanish!

"The Games of Hunger" - you gotta love it![/spoiler]

Could have fooled me....
-Dat's a gude one!

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 11:25:44 PM »
I read the first book after at least 11 people told me it was one of the best things they've ever read.

I found the writing to be pretty basic and straightforward, the story was alright, and the character of Peeta was just....such a fail. Seriously, how could a writer name a character that is meant to be central to the story and of a serious nature, 'Peeta'?!  I couldn't help but burst into laughter and think of bread everytime I read his name. And therefore, I could not EVER take him seriously as a character, just by his name alone. Let's not even discuss his actual character content...

So overall, I was unmoved by the book, and found it to be a simple, mostly entertaining 1-day read. Not the greatest thing ever, but of course I was reading several hundred-page novels before I was a teenager, so I guess my standards of writing aren't quite the same as everyone else.

All that being said, I will be going to the midnight premiere with a friend of mine, and I think I will enjoy the movie a lot. I'll be more psyched for it with my friend, because she's a serious fan and I like her a lot. 

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

Rune

• Official Site Mir'shebs
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 10:10:35 AM »
I read the books quite recently (before I saw that they were making a movie) and really liked the first one. Without getting into spoilers, I didn't think the second one was written well and felt that the series itself was wrapped up very poorly in the last. That said, I liked the first-person writing style, as I don't run into that much in what I normally read, and the setting of Panem and the Districts and stuff was great.

As for the movie, well, I'm not sure. I'm going to go see it, but I find myself hoping in a rather out-of-character way that they'll leave it at a point where they're not forced to make sequels. Because if they stick really close to the source materiel, then the last two movies will be [spoiler]really depressing. Seriously. I understand that people die in a war and that it's realistic writing, but it seems like the author took pains to kill off everyone we got close to in the story except the three main characters, for little to no reason. Take Finnick, for example: killed by mutts in a last stand that took up maybe half a page and was mentioned, hmm, once? along with everyone in Star squad dying horrible deaths, Prim getting randomly 'sploded just to gut-punch the reader... Gah. Just seems like a rather crummy ending to what started out as a promising series.[/spoiler]

Okay, I lied, I did get into spoilers. You may now fine me one internets.

Fenn Shysa

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 12:16:33 PM »
Ughh... I didn't need to to read Rune's spoilers.
(I didn't know you spoiling details of Book 2 and/or 3)
[spoiler]For that little tidbit about Prim; the fine I shall levy will be significantly more than one paltry internet.
-In the words of the immortal Jabba the Hutt....[spoiler] "Too late for that Solo. You are bantha fodder now"[/spoiler][/spoiler]

I'm not sure but I'm guessing that the movie only covers events of Book 1; (which probably would mean a sequel or two).

And as far as Peeta-bread goes, I thought he was a pretty good character; (depsite the misgivings over his name).
He was solid through and through. He consistently did right by Katniss depsite her suspicions of him
-Along the same line, I liked how she was suspicious of him. In a game like that, you'd have to be wary of everybody. - especially someone acting like a friend.

And, I guess the writing was pretty basic and/or straightforward. But maybe that is a reflection of the fact that it is supposedly a book geared for "young-adults"

Fenn Shysa

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 09:51:12 AM »
So the release date is fast approaching. I'm getting pumped.
I have long since finished the book; and, turned my wife on to it.
(Neither of us really cared for that ending. - It was so anti-climatic. I was really yearning for more).

My wife is about half-way thru book2 ("Catching Fire"); and, I'll probably start that when she is done.

Although, I am not usually one to buy into a lot of media hype; I confess, that I am getting psyched that initial reviews have all been pretty positive.
And for some reason, I find myself getting psyched to see Woody Harrelson as a boozed up Haymitch

Fenn Shysa

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 01:29:22 PM »
HIghest grossing opening day ever !!!
woo hoo!

I saw it yesterday; and loved it.
-It was very true to the book. (Only minor omissions / additions).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 01:44:35 PM by Fenn Shysa »

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 04:10:12 PM »
HIghest grossing opening day ever !!!
woo hoo!

I saw it yesterday; and loved it.
-It was very true to the book. (Only minor omissions / additions).

FIFTH highest opening day ever, dude. Even lower if you don't count the midnight release.  And third highest opening weekend ever.

I've heard its really good, so hopefully I'll get to see it soon.

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 05:22:36 PM »
It was good, probably the most accurate adaptation of a book in a movie that I've ever seen...
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

Fenn Shysa

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 07:19:49 AM »
FIFTH highest opening day ever, dude
Bah!
1st, 3rd, 5th... who's counting?
[I guess I was]

Either way, I highly recommend it.

Like Vlet said... "the most accurate adaptation of a book in a movie that I've ever seen..."
^^^Wholly agree

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 01:17:53 AM »
Finally saw it.

Loved it.

RC-1499

• Lieutenant
  • Nau vak'to, dralshye'raj
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 08:08:21 PM »
he came, he saw, he loved.

Mereel Skirata

• Mod Staff
  • Senior Clone Commander
  • For Mandalore!
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 08:18:17 PM »
Honestly, I only had an inkling of a desire to watch it. 

and that was ONLY to see Jennifer Lawrence.   Only reason.
Resident Costumer.

"Now boys.. no comparing verp sizes...."