Author Topic: Mando'a spoken in the Old Republic  (Read 7633 times)

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
Mando'a spoken in the Old Republic
« on: March 02, 2012, 03:33:07 PM »
you heard me! Some bounty hunters speak our language in TOR! Wanna see it? Skip to the 5:00 mark in this video. That's not the exact spot, but it'll give you some extra info on what's going on. This guy teaches you the Resol'nare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVAwYod1X_Q&feature=related

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.

Delta 42

• Captain
Re: Mando'a spoken in the Old Republic
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 03:57:49 PM »
Cool. I like that Mando'a seems to be getting popular.

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 08:07:55 PM »
I was happy to hear it as well, but Mandalore HIMSELF mispronounced Mando'ade... ah well, we're still getting there...
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

dredwulf60

• Republic Provost Marshal
  • "Show me your hands...and other appendages..."
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 12:47:28 AM »
I was happy to hear it as well, but Mandalore HIMSELF mispronounced Mando'ade... ah well, we're still getting there...

Hmm.

I think the MANDALORE would know a bit more about how to speak the language than some Brit lady from Earth.

From an in-universe point of view.   

i.e. when the mandalore pronounces it thus...it becomes THE way to pronounce it.

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 01:48:52 AM »
yeah, but then you can make kool-aid jokes too easily... besides, it throws off the entire plural form for nouns... /fanrant
It's Indiana Vlet!

Alu Darce89

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 03:55:43 AM »
I recognize two of the voice actors, on played Vash the Stempede in Trigun and Corridan I think was played by the guy who played Tron. The girl sounds familier too. Alot of the Mandalorian is exactly what I imagined it would sound like.

this pic belongs to http://www.swagonline.net/node/3940
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
- Albert E.

dredwulf60

• Republic Provost Marshal
  • "Show me your hands...and other appendages..."
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 04:44:52 AM »
yeah, but then you can make kool-aid jokes too easily... besides, it throws off the entire plural form for nouns... /fanrant

Or like Gator-ade?

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 12:57:10 PM »
I see I've been pronouncing it in my head correctly then.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
  • Nulla e reale, tutto e lecito
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 07:03:14 PM »
I've been beyond happy with the Mando content in TOR.  There's a lot of Mando'a (even new words, and they sound legitly Mando too), they discuss the Resol'nare, and the Smuggler companion Akaavi Spar even quotes the Resol'nare rhyme from "Order 66".  Then there's the little stuff, like mentions of food like tiingilar and ne'tra gal, and acknowledgment of beskar, its use in Mando armor, and how it's lightsaber resistant.

To be entirely honest, I wish they'd do a little better job on the pronounciations for the Mando'a.  While I love Torian's actor (big fan of Trigun and Bleach), he speaks Mando'a a little...stiff.  Akaavi's actress is better.  And yes, Mandalore's "Mando-aid" pronounciation instead of "Mando-ah-day" was irritating.  But I'm sure as hell not going to complain about something so minor when TOR's gone huge leaps and epic bounds above TCW's "attempt" at Mando culture.  I can forgive actors and their unfamiliarity in a game that's honestly worked its butt off to be good to Mandos and Mando fans.
"To say nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 11:59:56 PM »
exactly my thoughts on the matter
It's Indiana Vlet!

Alu Darce89

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 02:16:37 AM »
*stands up and gives claps enthusiastically for Mia's Post*

this pic belongs to http://www.swagonline.net/node/3940
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
- Albert E.

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 12:00:27 AM »
I agree with Mia. The actor aren't familiar with the language, although Torian did good. Although Mand'alor's "Mando-ade" is annoying. But at least Torian pronounced all his words "ah-day" instead of "ade."

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.