Author Topic: Bear Grylls  (Read 11438 times)

Unit 899

• Major
  • Wassup.
Re: Bear Grylls
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 10:14:44 AM »
Well this is an interesting thread, to be honest, isn't it? The only reason i really watched his show was, like Drake said, it was the more entertaining one, I am a fan of him because I heard him talk at my church a couple years back and it was some really good stuff. I'll leave that there to not delve into religious stuff. On the topic of what he does on his show, I've got to agree with Drake again in that I don't expect to gain much from it besides 'This is poisonous and this is not' etc etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote from: Eparavu
Then out of nowhere you are like I AM THE GODDAMN BRONY BATMAN.
Quote from: N-11
Better to post infrequently and have good things to say, then to post all the time and say a lot of useless crap.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 10:39:11 AM »
I was wanting to mention how the crazy stunts thing might have originally been pushed onto the show by the producer(read: God-King of the TV show for the sole purpose of making money), and once it was prevalent in the first season(because I think 1st seasons he isn't listed as the executive producer, but 2nd+ he is) it was too late to change the tone of the show afterward.

Also, there is a disclaimer before each show talking about how certain situations are presented to him so he can demonstrate some of these things, so saying he's being deceitful in the legitimacy of his actions might be a bit unfair.

And the final thing I wanted to add was that saying he has a crew capable of setting up things like blocking off a train-bridge is actually inaccurate, as he has at most 3 people with his: his cameraman, a "ropes" man(the guy who ties down the camera man so he can get these great shows of Grylls without breaking his neck, and sometimes a regional adviser. There is a "behind the scenes" episode(read: an episode made up of the cut footage them just walking around, or getting the cameraman down a tree) which shows it all quite nicely.

That was all before I saw this:

like some kid.

No, no, you're wrong. You are a kid. Being 13 doesn't suddenly spring you into adulthood, so don't expect the older members of this forum(17-40+) to treat you like one.

Secondly, you really ought to listen to Dred more. After serving in the Canadian military, becoming an OPP officer, marrying a loving wife, and having two daughters, he's got these things called experience and wisdom. That's two more than you obviously have.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

Eparavu

• Captain
  • ALWAYS
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 01:10:42 PM »
Just noticed a Bear Grylls thread.

Better drink my own piss.

Since it's the only unread thread in the world, I need to say that the show is for people who can't bear to be educated unless it's by a singing animal.
Personally I enjoy the double survival show, with the hippy and the vet. They bicker, but usually when they provide differing solutions; I think it's great to have that much information. If you don't put a premium on the application of survival skills, go watch "I shouldn't be alive" or Bear Grylls .__.

No hate here, only creeper love.
Watching you through your windows.
Staring from a distance.
Always watching.
Always loving.
ALWAYS.

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »
I WAS in the military.  You were not.  By this logic, you should pay more attention to my opinions than your own?

Of course not.   If you think that soldiers in the SAS automatically know more about survival than civilian survival instructors, you are wrong.  Survival experts are typically civilians indigenous to the area that needs surviving.  They are usually the ones who train the military personnel.

For the record, Les Stroud is an advanced survival trainer for the Canadian Military Armed Forces.

To be honest, having had next to zero legitimate survival training, I would definitely take your opinion over my own :P

But I agree, the civilians in the area have a knowledge that is expert in that area, while Military are supposed to be somewhat proficient in all areas, and use the civilians to prepare for specific environments.

My sentence about him being SAS and Les Stroud being a civilian, (which you corrected me on, thankyou :) ) was purely about the entertainment factor. Not actual survival skills.

I think your point about your first impression and the inability to overcome that is legitimate, I would feel the same way with the situation you presented. (Gun to head analogy),  and I DO feel the same way about Jesse Ventura. He might have technically been a SEAL, but I believe he's a joke and a nut.

I was wanting to mention how the crazy stunts thing might have originally been pushed onto the show by the producer(read: God-King of the TV show for the sole purpose of making money), and once it was prevalent in the first season(because I think 1st seasons he isn't listed as the executive producer, but 2nd+ he is) it was too late to change the tone of the show afterward.

I was going to mention this as well. But even so, it is Bear's choice whether to support that or not, he could have left once his contract ran out.

Interesting side note, he just left the show over contractual issues...might be along these lines we've been discussing?

No, no, you're wrong. You are a kid. Being 13 doesn't suddenly spring you into adulthood, so don't expect the older members of this forum(17-40+) to treat you like one.

Secondly, you really ought to listen to Dred more. After serving in the Canadian military, becoming an OPP officer, marrying a loving wife, and having two daughters, he's got these things called experience and wisdom.

I agree completely.

We try to be more mature here than to 'argue' or 'flame', and getting all emotional over your point doesn't really go well. Especially with Dred, because he's just about the coolest guy on the forum.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 03:20:57 PM by N-11 Commander Ordo »

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

dredwulf60

• Republic Provost Marshal
  • "Show me your hands...and other appendages..."
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 03:55:53 PM »
Drake (and Ordo)-

Sure, I'll buy that.  I'll concede my opinion that he may not BE an idiot clown, but that he plays one on TV!

Drake-
blocking off a train-bridge

Never meant to imply they would block the bridge.  I do know that the area MUST be scouted out before hand by some crew personnel.  Very little land is just free to film on in today's world...even the middle of nowhere is owned by someone or some government.  It's this scouting that must come up with all of the 'challenges' or 'stunts' based on what is available.   'look, here's a bridge...it'd be a cool stunt to climb it...'

Ordo-
My sentence about him being SAS and Les Stroud being a civilian, (which you corrected me on, thankyou smile )

Well, to be clear, he is still a civilian.  He's a civilian that teaches advanced survival to the military.  And he learned from masters, including the native americans.  Militaries use civilian SMEs (subject matter experts) in lots of various areas besides survival as well.  You are very correct about military members being generally proficient.  Too many skills to become EXPERT at...leaves very little time to become MASTER at many, if any.

I do like how Grylls has handled the internet meme about the piss-drinking.  He's handled it like a sport, with a bit of self-depreciating humour.  

Edit:

Additional:

Drake-

Secondly, you really ought to listen to Dred more. After serving in the Canadian military, becoming an OPP officer, marrying a loving wife, and having two daughters, he's got these things called experience and wisdom. That's two more than you obviously have.

My wife would be happier if you called her lovely, in addition to just loving.  Beautiful works too.  ;)  Never know...might want a place to crash if you ever decide to visit Ontario...and she's the one that would need convincing.  Ditto for Ordo.

For Goody; don't get too worried.  I don't judge based on age; anyone younger than 13 is not allowed on this forum at all, but aside from that, I advocate judging people on their actions.  In this case, there aren't really actions and deeds, so the judgment is more on the quality of their post and input.  Just remember, just like 'Stupid is as stupid does'  if someone posts immaturely that's how they'll be perceived whether 13, 17, 33, or 103.

Beyond that, there is a lot to be said about someone who can recognize when they haven't LIVED a significant part of their life yet, and be respectful to those who have.  It's not a bad thing to be a junior, its just reality.  Everyone was young once.  I think that's what Drake is getting at there.  Nothing more annoying that a new person who thinks they know more than the vets.  That goes for most jobs as well as life in general.  (Dealing with one of those at my place of employment as it is....damn rookies.)

Ordo-

Dred, because he's just about the coolest guy on the forum

Just about.  Right after Amy, Carnivore1, Mereel, Mia, and about a dozen others...

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 01:33:43 AM by dredwulf60 »

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 01:51:42 AM »
Drake-
My wife would be happier if you called her lovely, in addition to just loving.  Beautiful works too.  ;)  Never know...might want a place to crash if you ever decide to visit Ontario...and she's the one that would need convincing.

Now don't go putting ideas in my head. I might actually use one of them these days.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 02:44:52 AM »
Additional:

Drake-
My wife would be happier if you called her lovely, in addition to just loving.  Beautiful works too.  ;)  Never know...might want a place to crash if you ever decide to visit Ontario...and she's the one that would need convincing.  Ditto for Ordo.

Ordo-

Just about.  Right after Amy, Carnivore1, Mereel, Mia, and about a dozen others...

I'll keep that in mind :D

So true, we've got a great community.

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

GOODYSMOODY

• Sergeant
  • Sev's biggest competition.
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 04:31:09 AM »
Got a bit worked up there. Though I'm not a kid, and definitely don't think I'm smarter then others.
Sorry about that. Having a bad week I guess. Getting picked on in real life...it's not fun. That's why I had a go at you. Sorry again.
My temper won over my cool. It's not the first time.
'That'll make 'em think twice...maybe even three times,' Scorch after blowing up trandos with a turret.

dredwulf60

• Republic Provost Marshal
  • "Show me your hands...and other appendages..."
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 09:12:45 AM »
Got a bit worked up there. Though I'm not a kid, and definitely don't think I'm smarter then others.
Sorry about that. Having a bad week I guess. Getting picked on in real life...it's not fun. That's why I had a go at you. Sorry again.

No problem.  I was beginning to think Ol' Grylls was a relative of yours or something.

As for being a kid; it's a matter of perspective.  I remember when my girls were 3 years old, pointing to a 2 year old and saying 'look...what a cute baby!'

And when I was 10-14 I didn't think I was a kid; but in the eyes of any adult...that's what I was.  My eldest daughter is 12.  To me, she is a kid, even though she is very mature for her age.  so if you are 13, guess what?   No insult intended.   :D

RC-1499

• Lieutenant
  • Nau vak'to, dralshye'raj
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2012, 01:43:47 AM »

You had cool?

I'm just kidding. We all have bad weeks, and sometimes we just have to vent it somewhere. We understand completely.

(And remember. A good punch in the face usually solves a bully problem. Their face to stop them, and your face to get someone else's attention)

(Also, don't actually listen to my advice. It's garbage.)

GOODYSMOODY

• Sergeant
  • Sev's biggest competition.
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2012, 03:25:25 AM »
Too late :P
Advice taken.
'That'll make 'em think twice...maybe even three times,' Scorch after blowing up trandos with a turret.

Mia Ge'tal'mesh

• Master Assassin
  • Commander
  • Nulla e reale, tutto e lecito
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2012, 01:30:20 AM »
I've seen a bunch of "Man vs Wild" episodes and I think Bear's...entertaining.  I never really took too much of what he was saying seriously, since even as somebody with no survival training what so ever, my common sense and bullshit triggers were going off pretty hard at certain things he was doing.  But I still mostly like the show, and usually end up watching it whenever I find it on TV.
"To say nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."