Author Topic: Why RepComm 2 shouldn't be made.  (Read 8213 times)

FDOIRex

• Lieutenant
  • Testing...123...
Why RepComm 2 shouldn't be made.
« on: June 23, 2012, 11:09:53 AM »
DISCLAIMER: THE FOLLOWING IS MY OPINION. I WILL NOT PREFACE EVERYTHING I STATE WITH 'I THINK THAT...', SO CONSIDER EVERYTHING I STATE AS MY OPINION. I ALSO AM SPEAKING FROM THE VIEWPOINT OF A FAN WHO HAS NOT READ KT'S BOOKS, AND HAS LITTLE EXPOSURE TO THE EU. I AM SPEAKING SOLEY ABOUT THE GAME, NOT THE NOVELS.

As the topic header suggests, I believe Star Wars:Republic Commando 2 should not be made. This isn't because I do not love the original - quite to the contrary. I believe that a sequel will directly violate the core principals of the original.

1)Sev: Republic Commando was, as we all know, a very good FPS. It was entertaining, with fun, static characters and plenty of enemies. However, the ending is what sparked the legacy of Republic Commando: Sev goes MIA in the ending of the game, and the player does not go back for him. The player is left wondering what Sev's fate was. Surely, it would be explained in the next game. Sev's fate needed to be shown, right?

WRONG

Sev's fate is one of the most genius things about Republic Commando. At the beginning of the game, you are told Delta's one mission: Serve the Republic, even if at the cost of your life. Throughout the game, you do just that. You follow orders blindly. The game's tagline may have been "The Squad is Your Weapon", but in actuallity, you were the Republic's weapon. At the end of the game, Sev does go missing. His fate is left ambiguous, and the player and Delta both want to save him. However, they are ordered not to, and they comply. This is one of the most crucial themes of Republic Commando: The Clones are 'drones'. They will follow orders no matter what, even if it harms them. This foreshadows the then-upcoming Episode III perfectly - it sets up the idea of the clones being blindly loyal, despite them seeming independent, something which leads into Order 66. To have the Squad rescue Sev would undermine the theme of Republic Commando, something which would be a terrible thing to do. Delta's story ended as it should: The player, like Delta, is left wondering what happened to Sev, something which will haunt them for the rest of there lives. This is a powerful feeling to express in a game, and it should not be undone.

Now, let's suppose Republic Commando II does not deal with Sev's fate. It would be panned as a terrible sequel. Let's look at another work of fiction which used the 'suprise cliffhanger' ending: 2008's Iron Man. Iron Man ended with Tony Stark showing his identity as the Iron Man to the world, and it then ended. This was a popular movie with audiences, and created a great deal of 'buzz' around the movie. Now, can you imagine if Iron Man 2 had not focused on what happened to Tony because of his reveal at the end of the first one? It would have been panned as a terrible sequel. The same would happen to Republic Commando II. I fear it would, despite the game quality, be hated because of the lack of Sev.

2)Delta: If a Republic Commando II were to be made, what would it focus on? Delta, tools of a tyrannical empire, crushing advocates of democracy? It is the only logical place for Delta to go after Republic Commando, and the best way to keep the theme going. However, does anyone want to see Delta in this position? No. Delta is a heroic force, and their unheroic actions would undermine their status as good people. It would be near-impossible for Delta to keep their integrity in a sequel, and it may destroy them as characters.

Furthermore, what would they do? Crush small rebel camps? That seems like a waste of Delta's training and skill. Fight Jedi? Alot of Jedi already survived Order 66, and do we really want to make it so the only ones who did die were the ones shown onscreen dead? I really thing the Rise of the Empire era is limited in the number of tasks Delta could do which would retain the fun nature of the original.

If they do decide to take a darker, less humorous tone for a sequel, do any of us want to see that? Do we want Delta to become another humorless, run-of-the-mill FPS squad? No. I couldn't imagine a Republic Commando without the banter between Scorch and Sev, or the humor in causing a Trando to fly. Mind you, the game does have serious undertones. But at it's heart, it is a fun game to play. That's something which would be hard to carry over into the sequel.

3)Talents: It would be near impossible for Republic Commando II to retain any of the talents they had in to original. Morrison is pricey due to his fame now, Cook hasn't done anything since 2010, and I can't even find Chaykin. Sbarge appears to be the only voice actor who can be reached, but even so, that's only 1/4. LA would probably go with new talent or worse, Dee Bradley Baker, to play all the clones.

Furthermore, most of the production crew, artists, and the like have already left LA. This leaves a possible Republic Commando II in a state of doubt to it's quality, coming from the place which game us Force Unleashed II, the most obvious case of creating a sequel because they can. Not that it was bad, but the second one was much different from the first.

That pretty much covers all of my points as to why Republic Commando II shouldn't be made. Do you agree? Disagree? Tell me below.
Quote from: RC-1140
Accessing Anti-Air controls. Ooh, this is nice. I can do much better than just "offline." Separatist turrets now targeting... Separatist craft.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
Re: Why RepComm 2 shouldn't be made.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 12:29:47 PM »
I'll make my points short.

1)Tone- You say that making Republic Commando 2 more darker and less humorous would destroy the feel of the first game, you are wrong. There is a common misunderstanding among gamers that every game in a series must have the same tone, which they don't. For RepCom2, or ImpCom as it would be, if the darker tone was taken, especially in light on previous events, it could transform the game from less of an action-shooter to a drama-shooter. Think about it: The squad raked by guilt over leaving Sev behind, forced to turn against the people they once protected, following orders that make them do horrible things, things that the player doesn't even want to do. The parts in-between missions is filled with the moral struggle the squad faces and their own demons, because at the end of they don't even want to do it.

2)Gameplay- You say that there isn't much for the squad to do during this period. Not true. Multiple insurrections, rebellions, and battles happened at this time, and well into the Galactic Civil War. Even if the squad doesn't do much, the missions can change from big firefights into smaller, mobile battles where you hunt down the enemy. The terrible things they are ordered to do can be the centerpiece. Imagine you character, stuck in one spot, and the objective "Shoot the Hostages" pops up on your screen. To continue the game, you have no choice but to open fire on the crowd of women and children in front of you, reinforcing that concept of how they follow orders to matter what, and showing how evil the Empire really is. By the end of the game, the player realizes the whole time they've been the bad guys, and that's how you would make the game meaningful. It would be a truly unique experience in gaming, and that is what would make it great.

3)Talent- I don't know how you got it into your head that Morrison is very famous and expensive now, he's not. If anything, he needs the money. As for the rest, voice-actors are a dime-a-dozen. Also, it is doubtful LA would make the game, they would out-source it to another company, who are probably more talented than the original team.

Most of your points come from the same issue: you want the games to be near-identical. They shouldn't be.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 02:03:02 PM »
I agree with Drake here, I don't think titles in a series should all be exactly alike. What do you get when you follow that route? Call of Duty. Which if you're into those games, good for you, I personally think they're a blight on the gaming community.

Also, I think you really need to read KT's books, bro. Let me give a disclaimer, they are not the greatest books ever, but they are good. It will give you a perspective to the whole world of RC/IC that you don't have at the moment. Clouded, your judgement is. (I had to :P)  The clones, especially the RC's, are not 'drones' who do whatever they are told without resistance or feeling. Making an IC game, with a much darker side like Drake mentioned, would actually fit the story and journey of the Commandos perfectly.

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

Delta Dusty

• Private Recruit
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 09:50:49 PM »
Hey guys, fairly new here so let me just say what's going on. I would just like to add, in the beginning of the game... Taun We called the Delta Squad Commandos "brothers." Now from where I come from (firefighter/state guard) we don't leave our brother behind. It may have cost Sev his life but until the job is done and all of our brothers are out of harms way, we go after them. I would love to see RC2 as another 3 chapter campaign with nothing but a huge rescue mission to get Sev. Add space missions, huge battles with standard clones, vehicles, Jedi's and the planets and then you have an awesome game.

Nothing like a commando, tearing apart Geonosis in an AT-TE lol. Especially Scorch!

dredwulf60

• Republic Provost Marshal
  • "Show me your hands...and other appendages..."
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 04:36:14 AM »
Hey guys, fairly new here so let me just say what's going on. I would just like to add, in the beginning of the game... Taun We called the Delta Squad Commandos "brothers." Now from where I come from (firefighter/state guard) we don't leave our brother behind. It may have cost Sev his life but until the job is done and all of our brothers are out of harms way, we go after them. I would love to see RC2 as another 3 chapter campaign with nothing but a huge rescue mission to get Sev. Add space missions, huge battles with standard clones, vehicles, Jedi's and the planets and then you have an awesome game.

Nothing like a commando, tearing apart Geonosis in an AT-TE lol. Especially Scorch!

I like the idea, but the clones don't plan and execute the missions.  Unless they went renegade, A-Team style, there is no way that the Grand Army of the Republic is going to support the rescue you envision for one commando they specifically left behind.

On another note, drop by our intoduction thread and give us the low down on who you are, what you do, what you like and meet the rest of the posters. 

FDOIRex

• Lieutenant
  • Testing...123...
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 08:48:49 PM »
I agree with Drake here, I don't think titles in a series should all be exactly alike. What do you get when you follow that route? Call of Duty. Which if you're into those games, good for you, I personally think they're a blight on the gaming community.

Also, I think you really need to read KT's books, bro. Let me give a disclaimer, they are not the greatest books ever, but they are good. It will give you a perspective to the whole world of RC/IC that you don't have at the moment. Clouded, your judgement is. (I had to :P)  The clones, especially the RC's, are not 'drones' who do whatever they are told without resistance or feeling. Making an IC game, with a much darker side like Drake mentioned, would actually fit the story and journey of the Commandos perfectly.

I do see where you and Drake are coming from here. My main concern is this turning into a DNF - expectations are way too high.

And I really should read the books. I was actually planning on creating a 'n00b's first read' thread during my read. It might be interesting for y'all to pick the brain of a non-EU guy, and for me to ask questions.
Accessing Anti-Air controls. Ooh, this is nice. I can do much better than just "offline." Separatist turrets now targeting... Separatist craft.

CT-1199 Oronk

• The Dude
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 05:12:26 PM »
I do see where you and Drake are coming from here. My main concern is this turning into a DNF - expectations are way too high.

And I really should read the books. I was actually planning on creating a 'n00b's first read' thread during my read. It might be interesting for y'all to pick the brain of a non-EU guy, and for me to ask questions.

In response to your concern so long as whatever game company would make RepCom2 or IpCom do it right im sure theres nothing to worry about.
And yes you should read the books before going and posting stuff like this it would probably shed more light on the whole situation....

Also what do you mean by Pick the brain of a non EU guy?....

BUY GUNS A **** LOAD OF GUNS!

"All Mercs know the jambo!" (Chris Tanto)

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 10:21:13 PM »
If we know more than you, we have nothing to pick.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

FDOIRex

• Lieutenant
  • Testing...123...
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 04:09:43 PM »
By that, I mean it might be interesting for y'all to see how someone relatively restricted to the movies and TCW interprets the novels, verses the perspective of a long-time fan of the books. This is similar to when you show someone who has never seen Star Wars all of the films, and see their reaction, untainted by fan bias. This may result in surprising outcomes. For example, a close friend of mine found the PT far superior to the OT, something which was very interesting to discuss with him...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 04:15:51 PM by FDOIRex »

dredwulf60

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 07:34:27 PM »
And with no disrespect intended....your friend is retarded.    ;)

FDOIRex

• Lieutenant
  • Testing...123...
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 08:56:59 AM »
Well, it's all a matter of perspctive. The PT and OT are very different triliogies. Which is more "Star Wars" is up to the viewer. My friend liked the PT, but was put off by the change to the OT, much like how someone who saw the OT would be put off by the political dialogue and other "not Star Wars" stuff in thr PT.

Its all based on a person's point of view.

dredwulf60

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 11:19:30 AM »
Yeah.  I get that.  My post was more for the humour of it.

It's like people who prefer The Shadow Chronicles to Robotech.   Sheesh.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 02:01:56 PM »
Yea! Screw those... oh, wait...

Talo

• Captain
  • "Walk with doom, brother."
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 11:57:51 PM »
Yeah.  I get that.  My post was more for the humour of it.

It's like people who prefer The Shadow Chronicles to Robotech.   Sheesh.

That's hilarious even though I don't think to comparison is quite fair. :P