Author Topic: Ouya  (Read 3413 times)

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
  • Lock S-Foils in attack position.
Ouya
« on: July 12, 2012, 03:26:41 PM »
This is something that has been causing quite a storm these past few days.  Ouya is a new games console that has blown away all expectations by raising over $4,000,000 with 27 days still to go on its Kickstarter Page.  Its designed to be a $99 console running Android that is completely open, meaning developers don't have to buy expensive dev kits and SDK licenses.  The openness also means its very easy to hack, meaning you can take it apart (without voiding a warranty!) and make your own changes.  they even say you can make your own peripherals, should you choose (and be able to).

While its in its early days, it has already been confirmed that Minecraft will be a title on the platform, as well as an app for Twitch.tv.

The intended specs are:

Tegra3 quad-core processor
1GB RAM
8GB of internal flash storage
HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth LE 4.0
USB 2.0 (one)
Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
Android 4.0

Obviously this won't be comparable to the next gen Xbox and Playstation consoles (the former of which is rumoured to use a 16-core IBM PPC processor), but then for $99 and running an OS intended for mobile devices you wouldn't expect it to be.
Clone Pilot armour project: helmet, chest - pepped.
RC helmet: done.

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
Re: Ouya
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 08:55:39 PM »
For a $100? It sounds like it might be worth it.

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 04:40:51 PM »
Just saw that the project passed $5,000,000 on Kickstarter with 22 days still to go.  I haven't pledged yet but am getting more and more tempted to go for the $25 option to reserve my username and get a founder emblem next to it.

As someone who is also developing a game at the moment I'm getting more and more interested in making games for the platform, so I may have to start learning the Android SDK in preparation.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 12:16:15 PM »
So 2 big announcements were made today.  First, the controller has finally been reveald and I'm happy as its in Xbox 360 layout:

Also, its been announced that digital game rental service OnLive will be on Ouya, which basically means you have a very large catalogue of major game releases instantly available to play.  I'm getting more and more excited about this with each announcement.  All I want now is an SD card slot and I'll be very happy with the console.

And finally, here is a new shot of the console itself they just released.  Its supposed to be about the same size as a Rubiks cube.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 12:18:55 PM by flyboy424 »

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 02:13:49 PM »
Ordered my console today.  Cost $149 with an extra controller and international shipping, which is pretty good I think.  Mine won't arrive until April though as the March release is only for Kickstarter backers who got the console pledge (I only got the username).

One thing that concerns me though that I've just spotted on the Ouya website is that upon release there will be no friends list, achievement, or leaderboard features available upon launch, instead they're going to add that later in the summer.  Its great to know it will come eventually, but these is the sorts of things I feel should be there day one to make the online service feel good to use.

The other thing is the hardware specs.  While it uses the fastest Tegra 3 chip, the T33, it seems to only be running around 1.9 GHz on the dev console, and an article I read claims it only has older DDR2 RAM which has been shown on tablets to have a noticeable difference in performance compared to current DDR3 RAM.  The 8GB of storage space is also a slight concern, but on the dev forums people have been saying they've got USB hard drives working, and there doesn't appear to be a limit on the size so I may just get a 250GB one and leave it attached (I seriously doubt I'll use the one full-size USB port the console has for anything else).