Author Topic: Star Wars: Detours  (Read 8750 times)

Alu Darce89

• Lieutenant
Star Wars: Detours
« on: August 25, 2012, 02:31:14 AM »
I love it. it's fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

http://youtu.be/-yRNXFhboBI

this pic belongs to http://www.swagonline.net/node/3940
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
- Albert E.

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
Re: Star Wars: Detours
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 10:44:56 AM »
Yeah, a lot of it is pretty funny, but I don't know how long they could keep up the Robot Chicken-esque humor.

I dunno, I have a bad feeling about this . . .

BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 02:05:33 PM »
Go haunt Yoda!
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

dredwulf60

• Republic Provost Marshal
  • "Show me your hands...and other appendages..."
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 03:08:55 PM »
I tried to find it funny.  And failed.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 04:35:51 PM »
The only part I really found amusing was Jar-Jar asking why everyone hated him, and Dexter asking him how honest they were being.

Besides that, I'd rather watch Robot Chicken Star Wars, it's the exact same thing, but actually funny.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

Alu Darce89

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 02:03:21 AM »
Dred  you are excluded from this, but it's amazing how many suposed fans of Star Wars hate this idea.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
- Albert E.

dredwulf60

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 04:28:00 AM »
I think the disparity comes from a warped concept of self-deprecating humour.

Robot Chicken pokes fun at star wars, and does it out of love and respect; like a celebrity roast.

This thing is like watching a celebrity dressing up like a clown and tap dancing while smashing pies in his own face.  It's 'funny'  but not 'ha-ha funny'.  It's not really clever either...it just seems...just...lame.

Like one commenter put it; "When you watch it, it's like there is some guy standing next to you grinning and winking constantly saying... 'Get it?  Get it?  ha ha  Get it?'. "

The worst example is the bit with Admiral Ackbar.  Talk about beating a dead horse.  I'd much rather watch a skit about Admiral Ackbar selling a breakfast cereal and saying 'Your taste buds can't repel flavour of this magnitude!' than watching him running around spouting all kinds of synonyms for 'trap'. 

I dunno how else to say it....except....  'meh'.

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 11:37:57 AM »
But lil' Admiral Ackbar is so cuuuute! I get what you're saying though Dred.

Yeah I never once laughed out loud, I maybe like . . . grinned . . . within my soul, but it was really just sort of amusing. The funniest parts I could find were the two Troopers and the swing across the chasm which turned out to be a matte painting. And that brief clip of Boba Fett trying to make up an excuse "No no no I left a message with your, uh, roommate, but your machine was full, so your landlord hung up on me when I was walking your dog because my homework ate it . . ."

Everything else though was a bit of a stretch. I think the Troopers might end up being the only slightly funny part really, they remind me of Tag and Bink.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 09:53:26 PM by H-BOMB »

Alu Darce89

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 12:38:01 PM »
It's made  by the creators of Robot Chicken, chances are it was done by Seth Green.

- Albert E.

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 01:53:20 PM »
It IS done by Seth Green.

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.

dredwulf60

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 04:12:33 PM »
It IS done by Seth Green.
In that case, I think he's lost it.   

But really, how much can you mine one source for comedy gold before it starts getting tired.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 09:47:12 PM »
... supposed fans of Star Wars...

So you're implying that because someone doesn't like everything done with Star Wars they're actually not a fan, they only think they are? You might want to check the logic on that.

As for Seth Green, everyone's allowed a few career mistakes, and as far as career mistakes go, this one isn't as bad as it could have been. Also, money is nice, and people still make large amounts of cash off of Star Wars properties.

The thing that is most off-putting for me is the art style. It looked like a kids show to me for the first few seconds, but the humor is a bit more than I would expect to see on a kids show. It seems like it is trying to stand in-between the two levels, and doing so poorly.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 09:55:11 PM »
It is a stand-in between adults and kids, unfortunately. I think I read somewhere that the big cheese GL wanted it to be for all ages.

I'm gonna miss some of Robot Chicken's rawer, edgier humor.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:33:19 AM by H-BOMB »

Alu Darce89

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 02:19:22 AM »
So you're implying that because someone doesn't like everything done with Star Wars they're actually not a fan, they only think they are? You might want to check the logic on that.

No Drake, I'm not implying that just because someone doesn't like a certain part of it is not a fan. No, You can be a fan and not like cetain things, take Dred for example, He likes Republic Commando and the orignal saga, I believe, and that's it. I'm just saying that it's funny how a lot of people now a days that are fans are rebeling against anything new with it, which is fine, it's there choice. I'm saying that alot of people I talk to both online and offline, that claim to be fans, will sit there and tell me everything wrong with it and nothing that they liked about it. (excluding here of course). I guess you can say I'm getting a wee bit tired of being told that I like something that alot of people don't like and only getting negative comments about it and no positive. I understand that alot of people have different views than I, but I find myself being hard pressed to find people that like things the way I do.   

And I might regret posting this now.

- Albert E.

dredwulf60

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 07:30:36 AM »
Well, I for one am really glad you started this thread.  I didn't even know this show existed.  My kids will probably like the show, just like they liked playing lego star wars even after I got bored with it.  It's just not for me.

Alu Darce89

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 01:48:27 AM »
And that's ok, I think it goes for more of my age group and the younger ones, even though it's said that it's meant for all. Which is kinda hard to do sometimes.

Thanks Dred.

- Albert E.

FDOIRex

• Lieutenant
  • Testing...123...
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 08:51:19 PM »
Why is Leia a kid, but Han's in his 20's?
Quote from: RC-1140
Accessing Anti-Air controls. Ooh, this is nice. I can do much better than just "offline." Separatist turrets now targeting... Separatist craft.

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 09:16:03 PM »
Why is Leia a kid, but Han's in his 20's?

Because this show is non-canon. Official, but non-canon.

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.

Alu Darce89

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 02:05:55 AM »
And It's supposedly supposed to be in the Dark Times Era, the period of time between Revenge and Hope. 

- Albert E.

tee18

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 08:17:11 AM »
I will say that its not my thing, and leave it at that (though the stormies were a little funny)
"When walking through hell, keep going" -Winston Churchhill