Author Topic: Anime  (Read 19905 times)

CT-1199 Oronk

• The Dude
  • Commander
Anime
« on: August 31, 2012, 05:29:48 PM »
ya ya I know "Ooooh Anime is nothing but girls in small clothing blah blah blah"

Now that we have that over with anybody know any good ones?? I recently went on a anime rampage.

The ones I've watched and recommend are

Elfen Lied <messed up, sad very much a psychological anime
Kampfer <weird funny awesome fighting not much of a storyline but still good
Gurren Lagann <cheesy awesome story great/weird fight scenes
BUY GUNS A **** LOAD OF GUNS!

"All Mercs know the jambo!" (Chris Tanto)

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
Re: Anime
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 07:53:47 PM »
I highly recommend Cowboy Bebop < Follow a group of bounty hunters in a small series of quirky space adventures within the solar system as they make just enough money to get their ship to the next watering hole. By far the best music I have found in an anime (maybe just because I love its fast-paced jazz), along with some fun characters and a great but bittersweet ending. Here's the awesome intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_819911&feature=iv&src_vid=T6zDfxZ4NcE&v=R-tMbLYGbvY

Also seek out Samurai Champloo, its by the same studio that produced Cowboy Bebop, following a pair of Ronin and features great animation and music, this time set during Japan's isolationist period. Also has one of the better English dubs out there. I still haven't finished this one yet, but its short like Cowboy Bebop. Only 26 episodes.

BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips

CT-1199 Oronk

• The Dude
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 08:11:38 PM »
OH YA I also forgot the one awesome AWESOME anime that anybody should watch

Black Lagoon <It has Ex Military Russian Mafia, Gun Fighting, Crime Stuff, very good (lots of language though)a
BUY GUNS A **** LOAD OF GUNS!

"All Mercs know the jambo!" (Chris Tanto)

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 08:24:58 PM »
Follow a group of bounty hunters in a small series of quirky space adventures within the solar system as they make just enough money to get their ship to the next watering hole.

So it's the Japanese version of Firefly?

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 10:02:33 PM »
Just about. With a smaller and more exaggerated cast of characters and just a little bit of weird Japanese-y stuff.

But if you can ignore the one or two times where things really go overboard into weird-territory, you'll be okay. I can only recall maybe one or two episodes where its pretty ridiculous. They're still good episodes though, and shouldn't be skipped.

BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips

Alu Darce89

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 02:32:48 AM »
Ghost In a Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Ghost in a Shell: Snd Gig. (intellectual but good), Samurai Seven (Based on a old Japanese movie and tale), Eureka 7, Trigun, Hellsing Ultimate, Xam'd, Appleseed. That what I can remember off the top of my head that I think was good.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 02:35:17 AM by Alu Darce89 »

this pic belongs to http://www.swagonline.net/node/3940
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
- Albert E.

dredwulf60

• Republic Provost Marshal
  • "Show me your hands...and other appendages..."
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 08:43:10 AM »
Robotech  (or it's original components: 'Macross',   'Super Dimensional Cavalry: Southern Cross',   and 'Genesis Climber: M.O.S.P.E.A.D.A.')

'Blood: The Last Vampire'  (The stand alone short film...the series that it spawned is kinda...bleh.)  For those interested in Chiropterans...

'Guyver' aka 'Biobooster Power Armor: Guyver'.
Evil corporation can change its agents into monsters.  They are looking for a lost alien artifact that can merge a human with a symbiotic organism (encasing the user in a powerful exoskeleton, known as the Guyver unit)  The guyver unit accidentally gets acquired by a highschool student.  The evil corporation will stop at nothing to retrieve it, even though the host must be killed to remove the Guyver unit.

'Bubblegum Crisis'.  (Sounds a bit bizarre...it's a dystopian cyberpunk type setting, with an all-female group of mercenaries in power suits.  The title comes from the fact that the situation is on the verge of violent upheaval....like a bubblegum bubble that is so big it's about to splatter all over one's face....I just don't think the japanese really get how comical that eupehmism is in the West.)

Area 88: A fairly 'realistic' setting in the late 70's early 80's about Asran, a fictional country in Africa that maintains an air force made up of mercenary pilots from around the world, like an aerial French Foreign Legion.  Story centers around a japanese airline pilot who gets tricked into signing a contract.  He has to serve 3 years, or earn 1.5 million dollars in bounty to get out of the contract and be allowed to go home to his fiance.

The Venus Wars.  A  movie about a civil war being fought between the nations that have been terraforming Venus, focusing on a gang of racing biker punks that start out as independent freedom fighters then get drafted into a resistance army.

I also concurr with Appleseed.

Alu Darce89

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 02:11:33 PM »
Trinity Blood also.

I agree with Robotech, I was introduced to anime with that, and  also

Gundam Wing and it's movie Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
- Albert E.

Rune

• Official Site Mir'shebs
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 02:12:52 PM »
The only stuff I've seen and liked is Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. A steampunk-ish setting combined with science-magic alchemy makes for cool fight scenes. Also, the main characters are kinda cliche, but the supporting cast is great.

Talo

• Captain
  • "Walk with doom, brother."
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 05:04:43 PM »
Oh awesome someone made an anime thread!

I think I've watched more anime in the past 6 months more than I have ever. Which is all thanks to Robotech that's what started the avalanche. So kudos to Dred and Drake for getting me started on that.  /)(^3^)(\

I've watched a fair amount of anime so far but I'm just going to list the ones I've liked enough to finish. The ones I can remember off the top of my head anyway.

Clannad/Clannad: After Story (The first part is on Youtube, the second is available on Netflix) (A fantastic romantic comedy. This series moved me more than anything else I've ever watched in my entire life.)

Chobits (On Netflix) (This one is great for a quick laugh.)

Dance in the Vampire Bund (On Netflix) (I don't usually like vampires but this one was a fun romp.)

Fate Stay Night (Mainly a fantasy action with bits of comedy.)

Golgo 13 (On Netflix) (This is about an international assassin.)

Gunslinger Girl (On Netflix) (This is my personal favorite. Considering it involves prepubescence girls it's a surprisingly dark story that's as much psychological drama as it is action. It's largely about the dynamic relationships between cybernetic little girl assassins and their handlers. I recommended it to anyone interested in anime.)

K-on! Movie (Comedy.)

Lucky Star (Also great for a quick laugh.)

Toradora! (Another fantastic romantic comedy. I'm a sucker for these.)

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (On Youtube)

Outlaw Star. (Sci-fi.)

Princess Tutu (On Netflix) (This anime is a bit...different. Don't watch this one unless you willing to put up with a lot of ballet.)

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (Dark Comedy.)

School Days. (This series has one of the best  surprise endings endings in an anime. It worth watching just for that.)

Sword Art Online (This one is about a population of gamers getting trapped inside a fantasy virtual reality MMO.)

Welcome to NHK! (On Youtube) (This one is about a social recluse and how meeting a particular girl changes his life.)

You can't get all of these on Netflix but you can find them If you look hard enough. All of these are at least worth giving a chance.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 06:58:40 PM by Talo »

Alu Darce89

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 01:19:44 AM »
Sci-fi (syfy) stopped running anime a long time ago.

- Albert E.

Talo

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 09:08:04 AM »
Thats just the general genre.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 04:58:15 PM by Talo »

Alu Darce89

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 01:18:51 PM »
ah, I thought you were talking about the channel, because for a while there in the 90's they ran anime and they did it again about two years ago and then they stopped.

- Albert E.

RC-1499

• Lieutenant
  • Nau vak'to, dralshye'raj
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 11:59:45 PM »
Why has no one put these(See below) up yet?

1. Oban: Star Racers (A collaboration between A Japan based studio and a Paris based studio. Great story, Music. Animation. All around great Anime.)

2. Last Exile (I cannot stress enough how good this anime is. I mean, seriously. Just watch it. Now.)

3. Angle Beats (A story about the afterlife. Great music, action, and animation. Must see)

Talo

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 12:21:04 AM »
I forgot about Angel Beats, that's a really good one as well.

Not sure if I like Last Exile, I only watched the first episode. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 12:23:49 AM by Talo »

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 09:48:50 PM »
Star Blazers... Captain Harlock... Robotech... oh, and Voltron. I'll throw in more when I can.

Oh wait, Fist of the North Star.
The  purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in
defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more
important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

Drake and I agreed on something. Somebody get the camera out to capture the moment.

dredwulf60

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 11:39:53 PM »
Dude,

Captain Harlock!!   The bad-assedist space pirate of them all.

Starblazers....it's like the proto-macross.  The Yamato is like the prequel to the SDF-1.

Mention of those reminded me of the other classics;  Battle of the Planets  ( aka 'G-Force'  aka 'Science Ninja Team Gatchaman' in Japan)

Used to race home from school to watch it daily.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acOnskcyrtA&feature=fvwrel

Then there was

'Force 5':  5 separate cartoons grouped together under that one title, consisting of:  (in my order of preference)

Starvengers  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGPNDvkcaiw&feature=related

Spaceketeers   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw_lAQcL_VE&feature=related

Grandizer  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm3x5W3-Tj8

Gaiking  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrG4rc2V8I4&feature=

Danguard Ace  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw-YA2pmsjc&feature=related

These would be on in the morning before school.  They'd show a complete run of each segment, one episode daily.\, (a few dozen episodes) then move on to the next.

Cassa_Mirdala'Kotep

• Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 01:43:27 PM »
voltron did you guys know there is a videogme of voltron on the PS3?

but yeap i loved voltron and robotech as kid
seen captain harlock
galaxy express 999 (i think i might have that wrong.)
haven't seen much of appleseed
saw four episodes od 3x3 eyes could not stand after that.
i like vampire hunter d both the 1985 and bloodlust.
seen trigun
and starting on cowboy beebop
seen several others but don't know the names yet soon as i find out i'll edit or add here.

guyver loved that one,

:-)

"Ash" thanks to Mereel!

dredwulf60

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 08:05:30 PM »
voltron did you guys know there is a videogme of voltron on the PS3?

but yeap i loved voltron and robotech as kid
seen captain harlock
galaxy express 999 (i think i might have that wrong.)
haven't seen much of appleseed
saw four episodes od 3x3 eyes could not stand after that.
i like vampire hunter d both the 1985 and bloodlust.
seen trigun
and starting on cowboy beebop
seen several others but don't know the names yet soon as i find out i'll edit or add here.

guyver loved that one,

:-)

Guyver is like the awesome-est childhood fantasy...that I had in my 20s.