Author Topic: Star Wars Ep. VII and Disney  (Read 34935 times)

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
Re: Star Wars Ep. VII and Disney
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 07:27:58 PM »
Huh...
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 09:53:39 PM »
There are two ways Mark Hamill will be on screen: The seventh movie will be set decades after RotJ, and he is playing the old, slightly portly Luke Skywalker, or with a lot of make-up and CG.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

tee18

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 09:08:27 AM »
Good. I try.  :P

Wait. Troy Denning's a girl?!

One weird looking girl...

((Being facetious, of course.))
I knew that *facepalm* teachs me to post when i'm half asleep.
"When walking through hell, keep going" -Winston Churchhill

Fettishist

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 10:09:13 PM »
I really don't know how to feel about this.
Lucas has done enough, and selling it to another interest seems good.
But, its as if his hand is still on one side of the tiller.

My main concerns are that episodes 7-8-9  , must needs to involve "The Skywalkers" and their progeny, and we all know how that turned out. About like the first 3 films.
Interesting, novel and cool to start, then building in intensity, only to somehow fall on its face. A good chunk of the EU, that might be reflected by a final trilogy is fraught with peril. Odds are that anything great from the EU will be perverted by the new effort anyway.

Second concern, is Disney, and the need for Star Wars to go back into the rougher, darker side of story telling, if it is to be revived in the hearts of the Legion of 1st gen. fans. For this, they have a ready made and unsullied well to draw from. The Old Republic. I just don't think that Lucas had the courage to explore this fully, and I certainly don't think the "Princess" franchise known as Disney will either.

The franchise is getting to be like Freddy Krueger, or Friday the 13th part ???, only with muppets. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Ranting over.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 10:26:17 PM by Fettishist »

tee18

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 05:29:03 AM »
well, if Disney can produce the first three pirates of the Caribbean, then they can (hopefully) pull off a star wars that isn't totally childish.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 02:14:33 PM »
You know Disney own Marvel too, right? And was The Avengers childish and crappy? No, it was the third highest grossing film of all time. When you think Disney, don't forget they are a corporation, not just a cartoon company. Nobody hears of Warner Brothers owning something and assume they'll make it like they did Daffy Duck, so why do people have this expectation of Disney to do the same with Micky Mouse?

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 03:37:26 PM »
You know Disney own Marvel too, right? And was The Avengers childish and crappy? No, it was the third highest grossing film of all time. When you think Disney, don't forget they are a corporation, not just a cartoon company. Nobody hears of Warner Brothers owning something and assume they'll make it like they did Daffy Duck, so why do people have this expectation of Disney to do the same with Micky Mouse?

Because most people don't immediately think things through when they hear surprising news.

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

Fettishist

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 06:34:40 PM »
The Marvel comparison is very fair.
I guess I still mentally default to another time in my mind when I think of Disney as a film franchise.
That said, I understand Disney now is widely diversified, and not just Disney, and Buena Vista like back in the day.
Does any know if the word "Disney" appears in any part of the credits for the Marvel films?
Plays to mindset I guess.

Still worried that Lucas is fondling the tiller, and or his co-chairman Kathleen Kennedy, who is onboard with Disney.

We can pray.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 01:15:30 AM »
Lucas sold the company, and you can bet Disney will not include him at all. After all, they want to make money (Billions, opposed to the Millions that other SW films made), and to do that you need quality.

dredwulf60

• Republic Provost Marshal
  • "Show me your hands...and other appendages..."
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 02:54:59 AM »
Lucas sold the company, and you can bet Disney will not include him at all. After all, they want to make money (Billions, opposed to the Millions that other SW films made), and to do that you need quality.

And they will want to recoup from John Carter.   

Which I still feel was a very good movie...but poorly marketed.  I guess they just assumed that everyone knew who John Carter was...or would be so curious about it that they had to find out.

Ironic that Lucas was so enamored with the John Carter stories that he wanted to make them himself...found out he couldn't and then made Star Wars instead.  Then Disney finally ended up making John Carter...it bombed...and then they bought Star Wars.

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2012, 10:20:56 PM »
Supposedly there's some rumors that Matthew Vaughn, the director of the excellent X-Men: First Class could direct the new series. http://www.movieweb.com/news/star-wars-episode-7-rumored-to-get-director-matthew-vaughn

That or Colin Trevorrow, who directed the indie film Safey Not Guaranteed (which I actually saw with my girlfriend, it was a really fun movie!). Although I'm not sure if he could transition from heartfelt hipster adventure movie to big blockbuster action flick well. http://www.movieweb.com/news/star-wars-episode-vii-eyes-director-colin-trevorrow

BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips

tee18

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2012, 09:49:10 AM »
For now, we can only get rumors, but eventually, they will HAVE to tell us.  So patience is the best option, rather than jumping at every rumor.

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 08:59:05 PM »
Latest news is J.J. Abrams to direct. Unconfirmed, but apparently highly likely.

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.

Ky'ram Parjai'Kote

• Disgruntled MMORPG
  • Commander
  • Hates Bioware officially.
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 02:47:33 PM »
I hope it's not on Tatooine, because that's double the lens flares.
Lists of games I play:
-- Star Trek Online
-- KOTOR (1 and 2)
-- SWTOR
-- Terraria
-- TF2
-- Magicka
-- Left 4 Dead 2
-- Garry's Mod
And nearly any other F2P game on this planet.

dredwulf60

• Republic Provost Marshal
  • "Show me your hands...and other appendages..."
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 11:20:56 PM »
Latest news is J.J. Abrams to direct. Unconfirmed, but apparently highly likely.

Hmm...

Crossing the floor as it were.

From Star Trek to Star Wars.

Like Bryan Singer going from Marvel to direct for DC.

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2013, 02:47:50 PM »
You know, the tone he took in the new Star Trek was a lot closer to the feel of Star Wars than any of the previous movies... maybe he'll be a good fit for this. High hopes.
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2013, 04:27:43 PM »
I have faith he'll do an excellent job with the movie. I met JJ once (I didnt realize it was him until I saw him on the news a few days later) at a small writers club in Hollywood, he's a super nice guy, and very dedicated to his work.

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

Talo

• Captain
  • "Walk with doom, brother."
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2013, 12:38:44 AM »
Honestly, I like the lens flare.

Alu Darce89

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2013, 02:44:06 AM »
I honestly think the movies have a better chance now that he's going to direct. I wouldn't have liked it if Micheal Bay was the director. I think JJ did a good job for Star Trek. Seeing that I'm also a die hard Trek too.

this pic belongs to http://www.swagonline.net/node/3940
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
- Albert E.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
  • Lock S-Foils in attack position.
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2013, 05:08:02 AM »
Well this is pretty awesome.   Lucasfilm have just announced that the production of the next Star Wars movies will be taking place here in the UK!  This is simply due to the previous Star Wars movies being produced here, along with other Lucasfilm movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark.

http://starwars.com/news/star_wars_feature_film_production_returns_to_the_uk.html
Clone Pilot armour project: helmet, chest - pepped.
RC helmet: done.