Author Topic: Star Wars Ep. VII and Disney  (Read 34274 times)

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
Re: Star Wars Ep. VII and Disney
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2015, 09:23:45 AM »
OOHHHHHHHHHH BOY NEW TRAILER!

DISCUSS!

I really liked it, I'm doing my best to get over the canon thing, and it at least LOOKS like it'll be a proper Star Wars...
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

dredwulf60

• Republic Provost Marshal
  • "Show me your hands...and other appendages..."
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2015, 05:22:41 PM »
Holy Moley.

I'm trying so hard not to have high expectations.

It's one thing to watch the trailer...but to then scroll through the facebook feed and see countless links to sites that are picking it apart frame by frame with speculation on who is so-and-so and what does such-and-such probably mean...

I just skip over that stuff.

I try to remember the hype for Episode I.    The trailer for that was the first thing I ever downloaded to watch.  Took nearly 20 minutes on dial-up...and I watched it every day a few times a day.   So...I was hyped.   

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2015, 08:58:18 AM »
I know, it's easy to get caught up in the hype.

And five minutes of internet will make it all feel shallow and broken.

Such is the way with everything. With enough testers, all bugs are shallow, and that applies to movie criticism as well. Everything has flaws.
It's Indiana Vlet!

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2015, 11:38:17 PM »
Im trying (and basically failing) to keep my expectations at a reasonable level. The Hype is so strong with this one.

I liked the trailer a lot, it has me super pumped for the movie. A few things to discuss:

John Boyega's character, the stormtrooper, needs to be shown in a few shots where he isnt panting desperately with a face of utter confusion/terror. So far thats all we've seen of him, and its becoming kind of comical at this point. It will be hard for me to take him seriously if that's all we get to see.

Whoever the new sith enemy is, he looks AWESOME. So far, he has the perfect feel of how a sith should be (IMO, of course)

I hope future trailers don't give away much of the plot. I want to be as clueless as possible when I enter the theater.

I wasn't sure how excited I would be to see the old actors on screen again, but when Luke started talking...I don't know, it just had a weight to it. It hit me very close to home, and had a bigger effect than I expected.

Lastly, when Han and Chewie popped up on screen, I lost all control.

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2015, 10:48:24 PM »
Welp. New trailer dropped today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE

It looks gorgeous, and full of genuine emotion and action and . . . the music.

It's the music that gets me! :')

BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2015, 05:46:01 PM »
I'm conflicted.
It's Indiana Vlet!

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2015, 03:17:57 PM »
I camped out online to get tickets for Thursday night premiere the moment they came out! Good thing, too, since they were gone in a flash.

The new trailer was pretty great. I'm still trying to contain my hype, with little success.

I'm conflicted.

Why is that?

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2015, 04:39:18 PM »
On the plot side of things, without getting too spoilery, it just doesn't feel like SW in any meaningful way to me. Especially with many decisions regarding the primary factions and their respective places in the galaxy.

On the technical and artistic side of things, I feel like Abrams is focused on objectives other than "make a good Star Wars movie" which isn't all that surprising, considering his reputation for odd (to say the least) artistic and plot choices and a fondness for injecting political subjects into his work.

Most notably, injecting political subjects in a way that doesn't work in-universe. The GFFA has plenty of opportunities to explore such things, but he's not approaching it in that way.

And his biggest response to fan fears that he's going to screw everything up has been "look at how I'm using McQuarrie designs and practical effects! I like SW just like you, right?"

In terms of what Star Wars is, what it means to people, practical vs. computer effects and the use of original concept art is a complete sideshow.

Further, I find the majority of the casting decisions to be iffy, at best, and the new characters have nothing that sells me on them for the most part.

The only ones I find even remotely interesting so far are Poe and Phasma, since Poe is the only one who actually looks worth watching, and I'm a sucker for armor.

Gleeson, for example, is intended to be a general, but looks like a skinny teenager who's hiding in his dad's coat that he found. Kylo? His costume design is... minimalist, to say the least, and that picture of him with his mask off was used as a profile picture on a bait account on an emo dating site for humor value. There's a reason for that.

Will he turn out to be an impressing villain? Maybe, but indications from the lines we've heard so far make it feel like we're going to wish we had Lucas-grade, sand-hating, youngling-killing dialogue back.

Really, I could rant on for another hour or so, but I'll just say that nothing I've seen so far has given me any confidence that they know how to handle what they have.
It's Indiana Vlet!