Author Topic: For those aspiring to join the military  (Read 53785 times)

CT-1199 Oronk

• The Dude
  • Commander
For those aspiring to join the military
« on: February 16, 2012, 09:04:42 PM »
So I found out what im going to be doing in the Marine Corp (UW) which essentially means I get to stand in one place for my shift starting at nothing until someone attempts to enter the building im guarding. Doin that for 2 years awesomeness.
BUY GUNS A **** LOAD OF GUNS!

"All Mercs know the jambo!" (Chris Tanto)

Fenn Shysa

• Captain
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 11:50:41 AM »
I cam across this funny tid-bit, Oronk; and, I thought of you.
(Hopefully you wont have to contend with whilst on duty)
http://sgtgrit.com/scuttlebutt/corps-stories/humorous/guard.asp
"I find your lack of faith distrubing."

tee18

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 02:15:55 PM »
This morning, I saw some Cambodia soldiers (I think they were soldiers) guarding the ASEAN people, and they were carrying FAMAS's. Generally, I see Cambodian guards with AK-47's.  Which is better, and why? Does the position of the clip make the FAMAS better or worse?
"When walking through hell, keep going" -Winston Churchhill

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 07:27:58 PM »
Something that I've learned growing up in the military: The weapon does not define effectiveness, it is the skill of the wielder.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
  • Lock S-Foils in attack position.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 04:47:45 AM »
The AK-47 is famed for its reliability (heard stories of people testing this by burying it in sand and then firing it straight afterwards without an issue), however I've seen videos which show it has terrible accuracy.  The bullpup (ammo behind grip) design of the FAMAS gives it much better accuracy (compared to a same sized weapon) as it effectively extends the barrel length, but is unlikely to match the AK-47 for reliability.  Which is better depends entirely upon the situation in which they are going to be used.

Drake is right though, you can give someone a weapon where the rounds will guide themselves towards the enemy, and its still no guarantee that they will be effective with it.  Training is the most important factor in a weapons effectiveness.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 04:51:02 AM by flyboy424 »
Clone Pilot armour project: helmet, chest - pepped.
RC helmet: done.

dredwulf60

• Republic Provost Marshal
  • "Show me your hands...and other appendages..."
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 08:54:31 AM »
Flyboy got the idea right about the bullpup layout of the FAMAS...though he worded it a little awkwardly.  Kind of a cart before the horse situation.

The primary purpose of a bullpup layout is to shorten the weapon, making it easier to use in tight spaces, such as close quarters battle; so a bullpup weapon like the FAMAS is no more or less accurate than a standard assault rifle layout, but gets the advantage of a shorter overall length.

The chamber of the weapon, where the bullet starts its travel after the trigger is pulled is located behind the grip, above the magazine, rather than in front of it, so you save a few inches, allowing the barrel to appear shorter, without reducing the length of the bore that the bullet travels; as we know the longer the bullet stays in the bore, being pushed by propellant gasses the more velocity it builds up. 

As soon as it exits the muzzle, 'muzzle-velocity', it is the fastest that bullet is going to travel...and it immediately starts slowing down.

Bullet speed has more to do with effective range than accuracy.  On a level trajectory, a bullet will begin falling under the influence of gravity as soon as it leaves the muzzle; so the faster it goes, the more distance it can travel before it hits the ground.

As soon as you raise the muzzle, (as well as due to effects of atmosphere) a bullet will arc on a parabolic trajectory.

A speedier bullet can give you a flatter trajectory, and will be theoretically easier to aim, but as long as you have a good calibrated sight, you can be accurate with a slower bullet, even if you have to 'lob' it in on a more curved trajectory...

Blah, blah, blah.  I'll shut up now.

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 08:59:03 AM »
That's why sights are adjustable... I'm a big fan of bullpups, they had some stigma for a while due to sear issues, but newer rifles have better design... and as a personal matter, the F2000 is the most ergonimic weapon I've ever fired...
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

dredwulf60

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 10:19:37 AM »
the F2000 is the most ergonimic weapon I've ever fired...

Green with envy.

CT-1199 Oronk

• The Dude
  • Commander

CT-1199 Oronk

• The Dude
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 11:31:39 PM »
110+ days till I leave for boot...can't wait :-) '

dredwulf60

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 11:40:22 PM »
Damn, that's a long count down.  How can you sleep at night? 

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 03:29:46 AM »
110+ days till I leave for boot...can't wait :-) '

So? Who cares.... Hello people. I have returned albeit for a fraction. I still have an EMAIL that NONE of you have used in months!!!!! Forget FB, stand by for guilt trips ALL AROUND.

Oh and Oronk, higher ups have shined upon you because I will be headed back to the east coast so you can make through MCRD without me bothering you. Good luck stud! You got this. And send me your job info so I can harass you even more. Back to the shadows......
The  purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in
defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more
important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

Drake and I agreed on something. Somebody get the camera out to capture the moment.

CT-1199 Oronk

• The Dude
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 08:22:27 AM »
Damn, that's a long count down.  How can you sleep at night? 
very easily actually :)
So? Who cares.... Hello people. I have returned albeit for a fraction. I still have an EMAIL that NONE of you have used in months!!!!! Forget FB, stand by for guilt trips ALL AROUND.

Oh and Oronk, higher ups have shined upon you because I will be headed back to the east coast so you can make through MCRD without me bothering you. Good luck stud! You got this. And send me your job info so I can harass you even more. Back to the shadows......
I do :( lol
Sweet so I don't have to get my butt kicked by you as well?!? Awesome
ill let you know my SOI/MOS dates (that's if I pass the second round of background checks which I will :) I'm a good kid

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 02:27:30 PM »

I would like to point out that I have emailed you, and you never responded to my last message :P  But great to have you back for as long as we can!

When are you heading back East, man?

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

dredwulf60

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 03:39:31 PM »

BRING IT ON!!!   I have my guilt counter-battery primed and ready to go!

Seriously though; I take it you didn't receive the last 2 I sent, because I never got a reply to them...I assumed you were just really busy...y'know...doing marine stuff...and couldn't handle the backlog of all the e-mail traffic coming your way.

Anyways, damn good to see you post!

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 05:00:59 PM »
Hey, when I had to deal with the Navy getting messages to personnel, there was a limit, so I thought it would be doubly so for Marines. After all, what are Marines aboard to sailors except stow-aways with voracious appetites.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 09:26:25 PM »
Talked to several recruiters within the last 2 days, made the decision to enlist in my local Reserve Unit, and if everything goes according to plan and my application doesn't get turned down (going down to fill it in on Thurs), I start my BMQ with the unit in January.

So pumped it's not even funny. Now to spend the summer gettin' jacked.

Pending acceptance at Uni next year, I'll commission as an officer an either parade w/the reserves or transfer to the Reg Force as an Infantry Officer. At least, that's what the Master Corporal told me.

"The only thing that should be opened with the Taliban is a 7.66mm hole courtesty of a Princess Patricia sniper round smack in the center of the fundamentalist's unibrow"
-Ron James

dredwulf60

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 05:46:13 PM »
Talked to several recruiters within the last 2 days, made the decision to enlist in my local Reserve Unit, and if everything goes according to plan and my application doesn't get turned down (going down to fill it in on Thurs), I start my BMQ with the unit in January.

So pumped it's not even funny. Now to spend the summer gettin' jacked.

Pending acceptance at Uni next year, I'll commission as an officer an either parade w/the reserves or transfer to the Reg Force as an Infantry Officer. At least, that's what the Master Corporal told me.

Good job.  I just saw some CF infantry recruits on parade today, and their drill looked pretty decent.  It was a D-day anniversary parade at the local cenotaph.  That could be you this time next year.

Dha'ward Krayt

• Major
  • IMMA CRAB!!!
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 05:51:48 PM »
guess who just enlisted in the Navy?

This guy

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 09:40:02 PM »
I know your reasons but I still gotta say... "WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"
The  purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in
defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more
important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

Drake and I agreed on something. Somebody get the camera out to capture the moment.