Author Topic: For those aspiring to join the military  (Read 49144 times)

CT-1199 Oronk

• The Dude
  • Commander
For those aspiring to join the military
« on: February 16, 2012, 09:04:42 PM »
So I found out what im going to be doing in the Marine Corp (UW) which essentially means I get to stand in one place for my shift starting at nothing until someone attempts to enter the building im guarding. Doin that for 2 years awesomeness.
BUY GUNS A **** LOAD OF GUNS!

"All Mercs know the jambo!" (Chris Tanto)

Fenn Shysa

• Captain
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 11:50:41 AM »
I cam across this funny tid-bit, Oronk; and, I thought of you.
(Hopefully you wont have to contend with whilst on duty)
http://sgtgrit.com/scuttlebutt/corps-stories/humorous/guard.asp
"I find your lack of faith distrubing."

tee18

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 02:15:55 PM »
This morning, I saw some Cambodia soldiers (I think they were soldiers) guarding the ASEAN people, and they were carrying FAMAS's. Generally, I see Cambodian guards with AK-47's.  Which is better, and why? Does the position of the clip make the FAMAS better or worse?
"When walking through hell, keep going" -Winston Churchhill

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 07:27:58 PM »
Something that I've learned growing up in the military: The weapon does not define effectiveness, it is the skill of the wielder.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
  • Lock S-Foils in attack position.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 04:47:45 AM »
The AK-47 is famed for its reliability (heard stories of people testing this by burying it in sand and then firing it straight afterwards without an issue), however I've seen videos which show it has terrible accuracy.  The bullpup (ammo behind grip) design of the FAMAS gives it much better accuracy (compared to a same sized weapon) as it effectively extends the barrel length, but is unlikely to match the AK-47 for reliability.  Which is better depends entirely upon the situation in which they are going to be used.

Drake is right though, you can give someone a weapon where the rounds will guide themselves towards the enemy, and its still no guarantee that they will be effective with it.  Training is the most important factor in a weapons effectiveness.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 04:51:02 AM by flyboy424 »
Clone Pilot armour project: helmet, chest - pepped.
RC helmet: done.

dredwulf60

• Republic Provost Marshal
  • "Show me your hands...and other appendages..."
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 08:54:31 AM »
Flyboy got the idea right about the bullpup layout of the FAMAS...though he worded it a little awkwardly.  Kind of a cart before the horse situation.

The primary purpose of a bullpup layout is to shorten the weapon, making it easier to use in tight spaces, such as close quarters battle; so a bullpup weapon like the FAMAS is no more or less accurate than a standard assault rifle layout, but gets the advantage of a shorter overall length.

The chamber of the weapon, where the bullet starts its travel after the trigger is pulled is located behind the grip, above the magazine, rather than in front of it, so you save a few inches, allowing the barrel to appear shorter, without reducing the length of the bore that the bullet travels; as we know the longer the bullet stays in the bore, being pushed by propellant gasses the more velocity it builds up. 

As soon as it exits the muzzle, 'muzzle-velocity', it is the fastest that bullet is going to travel...and it immediately starts slowing down.

Bullet speed has more to do with effective range than accuracy.  On a level trajectory, a bullet will begin falling under the influence of gravity as soon as it leaves the muzzle; so the faster it goes, the more distance it can travel before it hits the ground.

As soon as you raise the muzzle, (as well as due to effects of atmosphere) a bullet will arc on a parabolic trajectory.

A speedier bullet can give you a flatter trajectory, and will be theoretically easier to aim, but as long as you have a good calibrated sight, you can be accurate with a slower bullet, even if you have to 'lob' it in on a more curved trajectory...

Blah, blah, blah.  I'll shut up now.

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 08:59:03 AM »
That's why sights are adjustable... I'm a big fan of bullpups, they had some stigma for a while due to sear issues, but newer rifles have better design... and as a personal matter, the F2000 is the most ergonimic weapon I've ever fired...
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

dredwulf60

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 10:19:37 AM »
the F2000 is the most ergonimic weapon I've ever fired...

Green with envy.

CT-1199 Oronk

• The Dude
  • Commander

CT-1199 Oronk

• The Dude
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 11:31:39 PM »
110+ days till I leave for boot...can't wait :-) '

dredwulf60

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 11:40:22 PM »
Damn, that's a long count down.  How can you sleep at night? 

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 03:29:46 AM »
110+ days till I leave for boot...can't wait :-) '

So? Who cares.... Hello people. I have returned albeit for a fraction. I still have an EMAIL that NONE of you have used in months!!!!! Forget FB, stand by for guilt trips ALL AROUND.

Oh and Oronk, higher ups have shined upon you because I will be headed back to the east coast so you can make through MCRD without me bothering you. Good luck stud! You got this. And send me your job info so I can harass you even more. Back to the shadows......
The  purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in
defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more
important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

Drake and I agreed on something. Somebody get the camera out to capture the moment.

CT-1199 Oronk

• The Dude
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 08:22:27 AM »
Damn, that's a long count down.  How can you sleep at night? 
very easily actually :)
So? Who cares.... Hello people. I have returned albeit for a fraction. I still have an EMAIL that NONE of you have used in months!!!!! Forget FB, stand by for guilt trips ALL AROUND.

Oh and Oronk, higher ups have shined upon you because I will be headed back to the east coast so you can make through MCRD without me bothering you. Good luck stud! You got this. And send me your job info so I can harass you even more. Back to the shadows......
I do :( lol
Sweet so I don't have to get my butt kicked by you as well?!? Awesome
ill let you know my SOI/MOS dates (that's if I pass the second round of background checks which I will :) I'm a good kid

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 02:27:30 PM »

I would like to point out that I have emailed you, and you never responded to my last message :P  But great to have you back for as long as we can!

When are you heading back East, man?

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

dredwulf60

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 03:39:31 PM »

BRING IT ON!!!   I have my guilt counter-battery primed and ready to go!

Seriously though; I take it you didn't receive the last 2 I sent, because I never got a reply to them...I assumed you were just really busy...y'know...doing marine stuff...and couldn't handle the backlog of all the e-mail traffic coming your way.

Anyways, damn good to see you post!

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 05:00:59 PM »
Hey, when I had to deal with the Navy getting messages to personnel, there was a limit, so I thought it would be doubly so for Marines. After all, what are Marines aboard to sailors except stow-aways with voracious appetites.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 09:26:25 PM »
Talked to several recruiters within the last 2 days, made the decision to enlist in my local Reserve Unit, and if everything goes according to plan and my application doesn't get turned down (going down to fill it in on Thurs), I start my BMQ with the unit in January.

So pumped it's not even funny. Now to spend the summer gettin' jacked.

Pending acceptance at Uni next year, I'll commission as an officer an either parade w/the reserves or transfer to the Reg Force as an Infantry Officer. At least, that's what the Master Corporal told me.

"The only thing that should be opened with the Taliban is a 7.66mm hole courtesty of a Princess Patricia sniper round smack in the center of the fundamentalist's unibrow"
-Ron James

dredwulf60

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 05:46:13 PM »
Talked to several recruiters within the last 2 days, made the decision to enlist in my local Reserve Unit, and if everything goes according to plan and my application doesn't get turned down (going down to fill it in on Thurs), I start my BMQ with the unit in January.

So pumped it's not even funny. Now to spend the summer gettin' jacked.

Pending acceptance at Uni next year, I'll commission as an officer an either parade w/the reserves or transfer to the Reg Force as an Infantry Officer. At least, that's what the Master Corporal told me.

Good job.  I just saw some CF infantry recruits on parade today, and their drill looked pretty decent.  It was a D-day anniversary parade at the local cenotaph.  That could be you this time next year.

Dha'ward Krayt

• Major
  • IMMA CRAB!!!
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 05:51:48 PM »
guess who just enlisted in the Navy?

This guy

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 09:40:02 PM »
I know your reasons but I still gotta say... "WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"

Drake and I agreed on something. Somebody get the camera out to capture the moment.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 09:48:07 PM »
Someone has to provide your taxi service.

Dha'ward Krayt

• Major
  • IMMA CRAB!!!
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 10:11:30 PM »
Someone has to provide your taxi service.
THIS

dredwulf60

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 12:10:52 AM »
guess who just enlisted in the Navy?

This guy

IN THE NAVY

Where can you find pleasure,
search the world for treasure,
learn science, technology?

Where can you begin to make your dreams all come true
on the land or on the sea?
Where can you learn to fly, play in sports or skindive,
study oceanography?

Sign up for the big band or sit in the grand standwhen your team and others meet.
      In the Navy, yes, you can sail the seven seas.  

In the Navy, yes, you can put your mind at ease.

In the Navy, come on now people, make a stand.

In the Navy, can't you see we need a hand.    

In the Navy, come on, protect the motherland.  

In the Navy, come on and join your fellow, man.  

In the Navy, come on, people, and make a stand.  

In the Navy, in the Navy.  

They want you!
 They want you!
They want you as a new recruit!
If you like adventure don't you wait to enter the recruiting office fast.
Don't you hesitate, there is no need to wait; they're signing up new seamen fast.

Maybe you are too young to join up today
but don't you worry 'bout the thing for I'm sure there will be always the good Navy
protecting the land and sea.  
   In the Navy...  
 They want you!
They want you!
They want you!
They want you!

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2012, 12:49:48 AM »
I don't need a taxi. I got legs, and boots. And a humvee.

dredwulf60

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2012, 02:45:18 AM »

Lt Kendrick ( A Few Good Men)

"No, I like all you Navy boys. Whenever we gotta go someplace to fight, you fellas give us a ride."

Yes as a Canadian, I've really got no persepctive on the US Navy/ Marine dynamics, but it's a good quote.  :p

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 02:59:27 AM »
...I've really got no persepctive on the US Navy/ Marine dynamics...

As a Navy Brat, I can summarize the Navy's stereotypical view on Marines in one nickname, "The Stowaways".

On that note, I once heard a funny story in the ID office at Puget Sound Shipyard. So one guy is telling his buddy about how it became a real pain in the but to feed all of the additional guys on ship, so I guess he was a cook*. His shipmate, at least I assume, replied "Which additional guys?". The cook replied, "All the Marines. We put out twice as much food and all of it is always gone". The buddy gives him this weird look and says, "The only extra guys we've got on ship are the SEALs". So it was in this crappy little waiting room that I learned the answer to one of the Navy's oldest questions, "Who eats more than the Marines"? Apparently a SEAL team.

*Footnote: It can not be argued that there is any better and more efficient food providing service in the world than the US Navy's cooks. It was an old saying on the Sub boats my father served on among the cooks(who are the world's closest to Culinary Special Forces): "If you want to end world hunger, put the Navy in charge, we'll have it solved in a week".

Galactic Marine4

• Private
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2012, 04:58:33 PM »
I am currently 13 years old and in the Young Marines and I'm torn between my dads wish and mine. He wants me to go to college and become an officer but I want to enlist right after high school any help?
Galactic Marines, First In, Last Out, OORRAHH!

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2012, 09:36:15 PM »
There are a few things I can list off the top of my head:

1. Officers get paid more. An O-1 racks in around $600 more than E-1's.

2. The college degree you get will be a way into a civilian job later in life.

3. If you enlist, college tuition will be payed by your GI Bill, so you wouldn't have the additional costs.

4. I don't know about other branches but in the Navy you can actually go from Enlisted to Officer if you get to Warrant Officer and then go to OCS to get your commission. I imagine the Marines have a similar program. That being said, this only works if you're going for a career.

5. Dependent on what you want to do in the Marines, you might need a commission to do it. In example,  I'm pretty sure pilots need to be an officer.

6. You're 13, and things might change in the next 5 years, so don't worry about it now. Who knows, you might not even want to go into the military when you're old enough.

Galactic Marine4

• Private
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2012, 10:56:25 PM »
Well I know for sure that I want to be a Marine but the problem with being an officer is that you don't know for sure if your going to get the specialty you want. I couldn't stand being stuck behind a deskif that's we're they'll send me. But with enlisted they almost guarantee the job you choose. I want to be in or near the action.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2012, 11:15:37 PM »
Being enlisted doesn't grantee a combat posting. There are as many, if not more, non-combat Enlisted roles as their are for officers. Supply clerks, logistics personnel, cooks, mechanics, etc. are all enlisted postings that are non-combat.

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2012, 12:18:37 AM »
And why do you want to be "in or near the action"??? Do you LIKE living in dirt, not getting sleep, not knowing when you're going to eat next and being so dehydrated you can't see straight? Getting shot at, and blown up. If so let me know......

Okay, Drake actually has a few good points. Now let's clarify a few others. EVERY branch has Warrant Officers, and every branch has different reasons and criteria for those WO's. For example, the Army let's WO's fly helicopters. The Marine Corps does not. Yes the GI bill will pay for tuition. If you get the chance to go to school while attempting to do your job.

It's all about the INFANTRY.
EVERYTHING ELSE IS SUPPORT!!!

If you have any other questions there vod'ika let ME know.

Galactic Marine4

• Private
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2012, 01:21:09 AM »
Alright Carnivore 1 I do have a question for you, would you be enlisted, or officer?

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2012, 01:28:25 AM »
One of these three posters is a NCO in the Marine Corps, and it's not me.

Galactic Marine4

• Private
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2012, 01:35:26 AM »
I don't see any posters.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2012, 01:52:40 AM »
You do realize it is called "Posting a reply"? Thus you, Carnivore, and I are all posters.

Galactic Marine4

• Private
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2012, 02:06:05 AM »
I tout you meant a picture poster I'm sorry I'm new at this. So back to my original question to carnivore. Should I go enlisted or officer?

dredwulf60

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2012, 03:45:52 AM »
In Carnivore's case, it's a past-tense; but if he's willing to share, I'd love to hear how/why he chose to enlist in the Marines rather than another branch of service.

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2012, 05:04:28 PM »
Let's start with GM4's question. I enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1997. There has never been an interest in going officer. WARRANT officer is a different story, but actually getting a commission and being an officer holds no interest for me. Enlisted Marines get the job done, officers just sit back and watch. It's not about money, it's about serving your country. As to whether YOU should go officer or enlisted that's ON YOU. You decide what will make you happy. I recommend you don't worry about it for a few years, and just have a good time. Play some sports, learn a martial art. Stuff like that.

When I get time I'll answer the rest, especially Dred's question.

Galactic Marine4

• Private
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2012, 08:17:12 PM »
Ok I do have another question for you, what are the requirements for becoming a scout sniper?

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2012, 10:10:43 PM »
Try google first and then let me know what they say.

Galactic Marine4

• Private
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2012, 11:57:13 PM »
Alright

Galactic Marine4

• Private
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2012, 12:09:25 AM »
The requirements are: Lance corporal to captain, an infantry MOS or MOS 0203, correctable 20/20 vision, first class PFT, current rifle expert and some other stuff but I get the point that it is extremely hard. Do you have anything else to say about scout snipers?

U

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2012, 04:21:06 PM »
Vod'ika, I got plenty to say.

First let me start by saying that I AM NOT, NOR HAVE I EVER BEEN a member of that community. I have been a Grunt my entire time in the Marine Corps. However I am fortunate enough to be friends with some of the greatest snipers the Marine Corps can produce. That's why I know more than you average Marine on HOW and WHAT a sniper REALLY does. What would you like to know??? Some stuff I will tell you, other things I'll make you go find.

NOW TO MY BROTHER DRED.

I chose the Marine Corps because 2 of my best friends wanted to do it and I thought it would be cool to go into it with them. Originally we talked to the Army about doing the Ranger option and going to Ranger school. One of my more impressionable friends saw some Marine info and was hooked. One of us was medically disqualified so it was down to two. My other buddy and I went in and graduated and went on to do lots of cool things. He got a few years ago and I'm still here.

Anything else?

dredwulf60

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2012, 06:52:12 PM »

NOW TO MY BROTHER DRED.

I chose the Marine Corps because 2 of my best friends wanted to do it and I thought it would be cool to go into it with them. Originally we talked to the Army about doing the Ranger option and going to Ranger school. One of my more impressionable friends saw some Marine info and was hooked. One of us was medically disqualified so it was down to two. My other buddy and I went in and graduated and went on to do lots of cool things. He got a few years ago and I'm still here.

Anything else?

Interesting to see how career paths start.  Other relatives served/serving that influenced you?

As a kid I was wanting to join the Navy because I had an older cousin who had gone that route.  I wanted to serve on a submarine, mainly due to Hollywood movies set in WWII such as 'Run Silent Run Deep'.  My cousin, on leave, informed me that Canada's submarines were osik.  Both of them. So I sobered up a bit and started paying a bit more attention to what Canada's military was actually like.  (prior to this I had a vague notion that Canada and the US militaries were one and the same.  Came from a steady diet of American TV and cinema...did I mention I was quite young?).

Had another elder cousin joined the Army.  Became and artilleryman.  I'd see him fairly often and remember talking to him when he was back on leave between his basic training and trade training.  Of course he was FULL of esprit de corps and the full attitude they fill you with at that stage of the career, so I too was quite impressionable.  I'd have been about 12 or so then, and decided Army was the route for me.

A few years later, in my teens, it really started to sink in about how many of my family were serving or had served, and including my Grandfather(s), who  I had always known were veterans of WWII...but as a kid you just don't realize what that means.  As I got older I really started to absorb what they had done, and felt the strength of family honour.

I ended up in my Grandfather's Regiment, an Infantry Rifle Regiment, which was a reserve unit traditionally, and had been activated to full strength during war time.  When I enlisted in the early 90s it had been amalgamated to form a regular force battalion, and that's where I began with the SSF, until it was broken up and reduced to 0 strength after the Canadian Airborne were disbanded.

I stayed on as an instructor at the Battleschool, until I was pushed into an administrative position, (Quartermaster; requisite for the next stage of promotion) and started looking for an alternate career...

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2012, 07:09:04 PM »
Hello Law & Order: Canadian Highway System!

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
After a mess of bad, scattered and impromptu communication, I FINALLY have my application sent off. Next up, CFAT when I get a call from the Reg't.

"The only thing that should be opened with the Taliban is a 7.66mm hole courtesty of a Princess Patricia sniper round smack in the center of the fundamentalist's unibrow"
-Ron James

CT-1199 Oronk

• The Dude
  • Commander
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2012, 07:43:55 PM »
Alright sayin my goodbyes on the site for awhile Im headin out Monday hope ya'll take care of yourselves and don't get into too much trouble while I'm gone.
If you want my address....I'll work on that if your fb friends you will most likely get it...have a good un ya'll!

dredwulf60

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2012, 11:40:06 PM »
Alright sayin my goodbyes on the site for awhile Im headin out Monday hope ya'll take care of yourselves and don't get into too much trouble while I'm gone.
If you want my address....I'll work on that if your fb friends you will most likely get it...have a good un ya'll!

Good luck!  I know you'll work hard.

Keep your eye on the prize.

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2012, 02:34:33 PM »
Good luck bro!! If you're going to MCRD San Diego, maybe I'll come see your graduation :P

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

CT-1199 Oronk

• The Dude
  • Commander
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2012, 03:06:03 PM »
Good luck bro!! If you're going to MCRD San Diego, maybe I'll come see your graduation :P
Ya im goin to MCRD San Diego

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2012, 06:27:35 PM »
Passed my CFAT (Canadian Forces Aptutite Test, the equivalent of the ASVAB) with flying colours today, qualified for numerous Officer positions to the point where the Captain who conducted my interview suggested that I apply for ROTP this month. I also aced my interview to boot! After a good talk with a unit officer, I got a good bit of info on numerous trades and found out that my preformance and D&D had throughly impressed the recruiting officers.

Have a few things to do before my medical is cleared but I should be good to go with a note, PT test is a piece of cake which I'll do with ease whenever my medical goes through, and then enroll! All in all great day!

-Ron James

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2012, 07:20:31 PM »
Good luck Oronk, and congratulations Nold!
It's Indiana Vlet!

dredwulf60

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2012, 08:31:47 PM »
my preformance and D&D had throughly impressed the recruiting officers.

Roleplaying is very big in the Department of national Defence.  Just beware the trolls and keep your sword sharp.

It is THE DnD after all.

Rune

• Official Site Mir'shebs
  • Commander
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2012, 02:46:31 PM »
Roleplaying is very big in the Department of national Defence.  Just beware the trolls and keep your sword sharp.

It is THE DnD after all.

:D

CT-1199 Oronk

• The Dude
  • Commander
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2012, 09:50:26 PM »
Back y'all will post more later :)

Noldorin Mando

• Commander
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2012, 10:33:58 AM »
Got a letter from the RMO stating I don't meet the medical requirements for the Universality of Service. So, Civvie Street for yours truly! Best of luck for everyone who'se thinking of joining, and to everyone in or retired from their nation's forces, thank you for your service.

-Ron James

dredwulf60

« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2012, 12:54:22 AM »
Got a letter from the RMO stating I don't meet the medical requirements for the Universality of Service. So, Civvie Street for yours truly! Best of luck for everyone who'se thinking of joining, and to everyone in or retired from their nation's forces, thank you for your service.

What a kick in the shebs!   

YourCompanionCube

• Private
  • Sullen
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2013, 11:20:31 AM »
I hope to enlist in the marines, or get a ROTC scholarship, I've heard that's easier. I just want to serve and get my degree.

My only concern is that I have food allergies and i've been told this may make disqualify me.
Please stay until I'm gone
 I'm here hold on
 To me I'm right here waiting
 And take my one last breath,
 and don't forget
 That I will be right here waiting

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2013, 02:21:19 PM »
ROTC, as in Marine officer? Not easier... I've talked with a few, most of them mustangs, and they all agree officers have it way harder. Of course, that's not a bad thing...
It's Indiana Vlet!

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2013, 02:23:13 PM »
Depends, what are you allergic to?

YourCompanionCube

• Private
  • Sullen
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »
Depends, what are you allergic to?

....Soy....Wheat... Dairy...Eggs... :/
 I'm here hold on
 and don't forget

YourCompanionCube

• Private
  • Sullen
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2013, 02:30:07 PM »
ROTC, as in Marine officer? Not easier... I've talked with a few, most of them mustangs, and they all agree officers have it way harder. Of course, that's not a bad thing...

Easier to manage College. From the research I've done, as long as I can serve, I can get time to do College.
 I'm here hold on
 and don't forget

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2013, 02:40:21 PM »
Well, you can do college while enlisted, too. But ROTC is certainly more direct...
It's Indiana Vlet!

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2013, 04:59:35 PM »

....Soy....Wheat... Dairy...Eggs... :/

So, essentially you're allergic to MRE's. Might be a problem.

YourCompanionCube

• Private
  • Sullen
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2013, 05:56:32 PM »
Yeah mightIS a bit of a problem. :/
 I'm here hold on
 and don't forget

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2013, 09:35:50 PM »

Easier to manage College. From the research I've done, as long as I can serve, I can get time to do College.

THEY LIED TO YOU!!!! JUST BECAUSE YOU SERVE DON'T MEAN YOU GET TIME TO DO ANYTHING BUT YOUR JOB...... YOUR WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2013, 08:37:11 PM »
So I found out today that there may be a new law passed here in the US that requires everyone 18 to 25 to serve in the military (for how long, I don't know). And I really, really don't have anything against the military, I have the utmost respect for all of you here who serve, but I hope this bill/law/whatever does not pass. I am 17 this year, so if this passes I will likely be serving in the military within a year or so. Now again, I am totally not down on the military in any form. But I am totally not cut out for it, period. I'm fairly tall, but I'm a scrawny little 125 lb. guy with very little physical endurance, and I am not very tolerant of pain, and I hate being yelled at (in other words, I couldn't stand boot camp) because being yelled at makes me feel like a failure. I don't know why, but it does. Again, I am not down on you guys in the military, or even the military itself,  in any form or fashion. But I just am not cut out for it, and I'd probably get (dis)honorably discharged within a few months. So, my prayers are fervently that this bill won't get passed.

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.

dredwulf60

« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2013, 12:08:28 AM »
So I found out today that there may be a new law passed here in the US that requires everyone 18 to 25 to serve in the military (for how long, I don't know). And I really, really don't have anything against the military, I have the utmost respect for all of you here who serve, but I hope this bill/law/whatever does not pass. I am 17 this year, so if this passes I will likely be serving in the military within a year or so. Now again, I am totally not down on the military in any form. But I am totally not cut out for it, period. I'm fairly tall, but I'm a scrawny little 125 lb. guy with very little physical endurance, and I am not very tolerant of pain, and I hate being yelled at (in other words, I couldn't stand boot camp) because being yelled at makes me feel like a failure. I don't know why, but it does. Again, I am not down on you guys in the military, or even the military itself,  in any form or fashion. But I just am not cut out for it, and I'd probably get (dis)honorably discharged within a few months. So, my prayers are fervently that this bill won't get passed.

Interesting.

Would you send a link to this information?

AFAIK USA hasn't had conscription (the draft) since the 1970s.   But Selective Service has never gone away. (That I know of).  Maybe it just hasn't been enforced in the last couple decades.

During the 80's, reminders for males to register when they turn 18 were all over American TV networks, or possibly suffer a huge fine/ jail time.

Personally I don't see the USA instituting a draft in the present geo-political climate.  I would be floored, literally.

Having said that, I personally have been torn in my feelings in the concept of mandatory military service.  There is a lot of good, but some bad too.

Volunteers make better soldiers, hands-down.  I can't see it being any other way.

But there are a lot of jobs that a conscripted person can do if they aren't cut out for 'combat duties' that would free up volunteers that want to do them.

In a time of war, every citizen has a duty to do their part for the good of the nation.  The ones that literally are incapable of serving will be weeded out in training.   And believe me, most people can be trained to serve some military specialty; there is almost no one who is of no use to the military.

Even during peace time, there is a lot of good that comes with having every able-bodied person get a little military training under their belt; but it comes with the risk of making people contemptuous of their own service...which is counter-productive I think.

A lot of countries have a mandatory service policy, with various levels of 'success'.

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2013, 03:16:09 AM »

Whoa, really? I had no idea of this. I turned 18 this year, and still haven't registered for selective service. I should get around to that.

I wouldn't mind going into the Navy or the Air Force at all, and I'm pretty sure there are roles I can fill in the other branches as well. Though I'm not too keen on boot camp either. I'm pretty physically fit, but I don't take getting yelled at very well. I beat myself up for my failures pretty badly.

I know South Korea has mandatory service for its adults, like six years or something. I don't think its a bad idea to introduce it to America. It might help instill some discipline in a generation where so many kids don't seem to understand what that means.

BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips

dredwulf60

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2013, 04:42:15 AM »
In any case, if military training became mandatory, it wouldn't be something to be afraid of, any more than any of the other mandatories in our society; things like going to school (homeschoolers excepted I guess) or going to your first job.

Basic training is hard; but not in the traumatic way presented by Hollywood.  (in my experience).  It's hard in the challenge-yourself and help each-other-out-so-you-become-a-team way.

The phobia a lot of young people have about being 'yelled at' is a direct side effect of our ultra-delicate society.  Yelling is just talking...but louder.

Drill Instructors may sound abusive, but you quickly realize it isn't personal.

Some of the very best memories are made in basic training.  Ask almost anyone who went through it.  For every person who was traumatized by basic training, there are probably 500 or more who were equally or more traumatized by playing little-league, or getting yelled at by some random douche on an online videogame.

When I became an instructor, I confirmed what i had suspected.  That the drill instructors act like they don't care about you at first, to hide the fact that they actually do have your very best interests at heart.  They are the archetypical hard but fair parent figure that so many families lack these days.

These are just some of the reasons that I wish we had mandatory service in my country.  

But I know it would never happen in my lifetime....   and there are some negatives.  There's nothing that is ever all-pro, no-con.  :)

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2013, 08:01:35 AM »
OK YOU SHABLA MORONS CALM DOWN!!!!!

ARC COMMANDER STUPID..... AND H BOMB

FIRST OF ALL.

NOBODY IS GETTING DRAFTED!!!!!

SECOND OF ALL.

NOBODY IS GETTING DRAFTED, NO BILL IS BEING PASSED.

THIRD OF ALL.... Are you shabla kidding me? "I respect the military but I'm not cut out for it." "I dont take well to getting yelled at." "I'll probably get dishonorably discharged within a few months" I SAW MY BROTHERS SWEAT BLEED AND DIE FOR OUR NATION. I WATCHED FAMILIES MOURN THEIR SONS AND DAUGHTERS WHO GAVE EVERYTHING TO STAND ON THE WALL AND DEFEND THE IDEALS OF THEIR NATION. ALL YOU SEE IS YOUR GONNA GET YELLED AT AND HAVE A LITTLE PHYSICAL PAIN???? YOUR PEERS LIKE ORONK, VLET HANSEN, AND DHAWARD KRAYT ARE DOING IT! N-11 ORDO IS CHOMPING AT THE BIT TO TURN 18 AND JOIN THE NAVY. YOU THINK ITS JUST ABOUT "BEING YELLED AT"??? I WISH AMY WOULD TURN THE CENSORS OFF FOR ME TO REALLY TELL YOU HOW I FEEL. YOU MAKE ME SICK. HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF JOHN FITZGERALD KENNEDY????? HE WAS A PRESIDENT WHO SAID "ASK NOT WHAT YOUR COUNTRY CAN DO FOR YOU BUT WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR COUNTRY" THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH YOUR GENERATION NO SACK TO BE MEN. GROW UP AND LET YOUR SACK DROP.....

I'm done. Pray to whatever deity you prefer that I don't get going again. Also....better yet, nevermind.

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2013, 11:07:50 AM »
Yeah I know I said that I don't take getting yelled at well and I beat myself up about it, but I beat myself up about it until I do it right the next time and all the time. Sure, its uncomfortable and I don't necessarily like it when I'm being yelled at but what comes out of it in the end is my own benefit. It's not like somebody yells at me and I break down and curl up into the fetal position.

BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2013, 11:49:44 AM »
OK YOU SHABLA MORONS CALM DOWN!!!!!

ARC COMMANDER STUPID..... AND H BOMB

FIRST OF ALL.

NOBODY IS GETTING DRAFTED!!!!!

SECOND OF ALL.

NOBODY IS GETTING DRAFTED, NO BILL IS BEING PASSED.

THIRD OF ALL.... Are you shabla kidding me? "I respect the military but I'm not cut out for it." "I dont take well to getting yelled at." "I'll probably get dishonorably discharged within a few months" I SAW MY BROTHERS SWEAT BLEED AND DIE FOR OUR NATION. I WATCHED FAMILIES MOURN THEIR SONS AND DAUGHTERS WHO GAVE EVERYTHING TO STAND ON THE WALL AND DEFEND THE IDEALS OF THEIR NATION. ALL YOU SEE IS YOUR GONNA GET YELLED AT AND HAVE A LITTLE PHYSICAL PAIN???? YOUR PEERS LIKE ORONK, VLET HANSEN, AND DHAWARD KRAYT ARE DOING IT! N-11 ORDO IS CHOMPING AT THE BIT TO TURN 18 AND JOIN THE NAVY. YOU THINK ITS JUST ABOUT "BEING YELLED AT"??? I WISH AMY WOULD TURN THE CENSORS OFF FOR ME TO REALLY TELL YOU HOW I FEEL. YOU MAKE ME SICK. HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF JOHN FITZGERALD KENNEDY????? HE WAS A PRESIDENT WHO SAID "ASK NOT WHAT YOUR COUNTRY CAN DO FOR YOU BUT WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR COUNTRY" THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH YOUR GENERATION NO SACK TO BE MEN. GROW UP AND LET YOUR SACK DROP.....

I'm done. Pray to whatever deity you prefer that I don't get going again. Also....better yet, nevermind.

Whoa, easy...I never said it was "just" about being yelled at. I know it's more than that, and more, I am proud to know people like N-11 who are eager to join -- again, I'm proud to know them. I know men in real life -- my grandfather for one -- who served in the armed forces, and I would never be disrespectful to any of them. One of my dad's friends has a son who was in the military, and he's one of the coolest guys I've ever met. Another of his friends has a brother in the military...I've never met him, but I would be honored to do so. My grandfather...well, there's no words that can describe the respect I have for the man. Anyone who serves in the armed forces (properly, to defend their country, not so they can shoot at people) deserves my utmost respect. Now, if I was drafted, I would take it. As I said, I am neither physically fit nor terribly inclined to handle pain, but I can when necessary. Maybe serving in the military would be the best thing in the world for me, who knows? My point is, some want to do that, they dream of it. My little brother, for one. And that's a great thing. I wish it was me. But I just can't see myself in that position, and I'd probably get flattened. As to the getting yelled at thing, though it makes me feel in some form that I've failed, it also makes me mad enough to push myself twice as hard. Maybe I would get through that, and in all likeliness, I would. But my point is...blazes, even though you yelled at me it just pretty much made me convince myself I might make it. Did you use reverse psychology, or are you just that good? In any case, I won't be joining voluntarily, but if I were drafted, I'd be proud to serve my term. I just...would prefer not to, really. It's not me.

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
For starters... "Whoa, easy".... Sod off!!! Better yet, just your mouth open your ears and eyeballs and pay attention!!! Next... "I know men in real life who served in the armed forces" Is there another kind of life? Your statements about people joining just to shoot other is so full of garbage I can't begin to address it. Do you realize that IF we had those types they would be removed. IF we had them they would screw up and get put in JAIL for MURDER.... NOBODY is equipped for PAIN, the human body DOES NOT TOLERATE pain well. NOBODY LIKES someone in their face yelling and screaming, its a training method that works though. I'll save you the trouble of worrying about being drafted. WE DON'T WANT YOU. WE WANT MEN AND WOMEN WHO WANT TO STAND ON THE WALL AND DEFEND THE PERSON TO THE RIGHT AND LEFT. You obviously do not have that. It's ok. Others do and they will be accepted into the fold. And yes, I am that good. Ask Vlet or Oronk. I taught Oronk about gunfighting using HALO and Modern Warfare 2 and kept an eye on Vlet his whole time in boot camp. Again, I am that good.

Also, don't reply and take up bandwidth. Find me on facebook or message me here and we'll work on turning your attitude around.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2013, 02:16:07 PM »
A lot of countries have a mandatory service policy, with various levels of 'success'.

Poland had mandatory service laws, but I think those were removed in the 70's or 80's. I know my grandfather served in an armoured division because of it, and I think he served the requisite four years and got out. From what I've heard and read, those laws were primarily enacted to make sure Poland had enough troops to a) make up for the loss of a majority of its population, b) make Poland look like a hard target, as to avoid the whole "invading" thing again, and c) to meet requirements passed down from the Soviets.

To be honest, I'm surprised more people in the US don't sign up for the reserves. After all, from my very limited understanding of the system, you are only called up for training every few months, have a significantly reduced chance of being deployed, due to the sheer size of the volunteer, full-time troops, and gain some benefits. Seems to me the benefits out-weigh the risks.

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2013, 02:54:12 PM »
Yeah, reserves in the US usually just do a weekend a month, and a week a year or something close to that.
It's Indiana Vlet!

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2013, 02:55:35 PM »
Okay, I've taken my conversation with Carnivore to PM. But I want to apologize to those of you in the military before I sign off. I didn't mean to offend you, really. I'm sorry.

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2013, 03:52:04 PM »
Gents I'm moving this to the Military thread.

@Drake,

Your mostly right. Except that the reserves have deployed more in the past ten years than ever before. A lot of the bennies aren't that great anymore either.

Mereel Skirata

• Mod Staff
  • Senior Clone Commander
  • For Mandalore!
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2013, 04:22:02 PM »
Topics have been Merged.
Resident Costumer.

"Now boys.. no comparing verp sizes...."

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2013, 05:19:48 PM »
A lot of the bennies aren't that great anymore either.

And that's only going to get worse, for career personnel as well, since a majority of the spending cuts from the sequester are in the DoD.

Dha'ward Krayt

• Major
  • IMMA CRAB!!!
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2013, 06:53:17 PM »
geez guys. one thing im saying about above draft post.

Dont believe anything in the news/internet or anything until you actually have it in your face, or in this case, someone dragging you off.

there im done. 27 days till i ship

dredwulf60

« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2013, 09:31:20 PM »
27 days till i ship

Not that you're counting down or anything, right?  :)

Mereel Skirata

• Mod Staff
  • Senior Clone Commander
  • For Mandalore!
Re: For those aspiring to join the military
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2013, 07:57:29 PM »
So best of luck to Dha'ward.  

He shipped out yesterday.....*sniff* I am already missing him.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 02:58:07 PM by dredwulf60 »
Resident Costumer.

dredwulf60

« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2013, 02:58:27 PM »
So best of luck to Dha'ward.  

He shipped out yesterday.....*sniff* I am already missing him.

Indeed.

Anchors away!!

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2013, 08:36:30 PM »
Yeah whatever. If you miss him that much join him.... No seriously. For everyone here that enlists I get 1000 dollars from the government..... He'll be fine, I'll check up on him this week.

Mereel Skirata

• Mod Staff
  • Senior Clone Commander
  • For Mandalore!
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2013, 11:27:41 PM »
haha I was being a little sarcastic but yeah. :P

If I felt that going into the military was going to be my career I would totally have joined up.  (and who is to say I won't yet. I still got a long(ish) life ahead of me.)   If it helps you out to all the better. :D

He said he would be sending me a letter the first chance he gets, for some reason I didn't get his address before hand and he said he'll have the info for me in the first letter.
Resident Costumer.

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2013, 08:06:35 PM »
He'll have a chance to write on Sundays. When you get the address pass it around via FB group.

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2013, 12:20:37 AM »
Well, looks like I'm going to need to find some proper envelopes again...
It's Indiana Vlet!

Rune

• Commander
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2014, 06:19:09 PM »
Hey all, it's been a very long time since I've been on, but I wanted to let you know that I will be shipping out to USMC Basic in San Diego on Sunday. Semper Fi!

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2014, 03:51:29 PM »
oh lordy! see you in a few months, man. try to get someone to post an address!
It's Indiana Vlet!

dredwulf60

« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2014, 06:47:09 AM »
All the best!

Amy

• Clone Marshall Commander
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2014, 09:47:30 PM »
Hey all, it's been a very long time since I've been on, but I wanted to let you know that I will be shipping out to USMC Basic in San Diego on Sunday. Semper Fi!
Take care and good luck!

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2014, 03:33:58 PM »
Anybody back yet? I never saw an address...
It's Indiana Vlet!

Rune

• Commander
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2014, 01:02:50 PM »
Doing well. Good luck to all those from this site who are also in the service.

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2014, 02:33:54 PM »
How'd it go, man?
It's Indiana Vlet!

dredwulf60

« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2015, 01:32:36 AM »
Talo...

Are you still heading off to join the Marines?

Talo

• Captain
  • "Walk with doom, brother."
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2015, 01:53:44 AM »
Yeah. I should leave April 27.