Author Topic: For those aspiring to join the military  (Read 55509 times)

YourCompanionCube

• Private
  • Sullen
For those aspiring to join the military
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »
Depends, what are you allergic to?

....Soy....Wheat... Dairy...Eggs... :/
Please stay until I'm gone
 I'm here hold on
 To me I'm right here waiting
 And take my one last breath,
 and don't forget
 That I will be right here waiting

YourCompanionCube

• Private
  • Sullen
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2013, 02:30:07 PM »
ROTC, as in Marine officer? Not easier... I've talked with a few, most of them mustangs, and they all agree officers have it way harder. Of course, that's not a bad thing...

Easier to manage College. From the research I've done, as long as I can serve, I can get time to do College.
 I'm here hold on
 and don't forget

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2013, 02:40:21 PM »
Well, you can do college while enlisted, too. But ROTC is certainly more direct...
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2013, 04:59:35 PM »

....Soy....Wheat... Dairy...Eggs... :/

So, essentially you're allergic to MRE's. Might be a problem.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

YourCompanionCube

• Private
  • Sullen
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2013, 05:56:32 PM »
Yeah mightIS a bit of a problem. :/
 I'm here hold on
 and don't forget

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2013, 09:35:50 PM »

Easier to manage College. From the research I've done, as long as I can serve, I can get time to do College.

THEY LIED TO YOU!!!! JUST BECAUSE YOU SERVE DON'T MEAN YOU GET TIME TO DO ANYTHING BUT YOUR JOB...... YOUR WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The  purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in
defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more
important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

Drake and I agreed on something. Somebody get the camera out to capture the moment.

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2013, 08:37:11 PM »
So I found out today that there may be a new law passed here in the US that requires everyone 18 to 25 to serve in the military (for how long, I don't know). And I really, really don't have anything against the military, I have the utmost respect for all of you here who serve, but I hope this bill/law/whatever does not pass. I am 17 this year, so if this passes I will likely be serving in the military within a year or so. Now again, I am totally not down on the military in any form. But I am totally not cut out for it, period. I'm fairly tall, but I'm a scrawny little 125 lb. guy with very little physical endurance, and I am not very tolerant of pain, and I hate being yelled at (in other words, I couldn't stand boot camp) because being yelled at makes me feel like a failure. I don't know why, but it does. Again, I am not down on you guys in the military, or even the military itself,  in any form or fashion. But I just am not cut out for it, and I'd probably get (dis)honorably discharged within a few months. So, my prayers are fervently that this bill won't get passed.

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.

dredwulf60

• Republic Provost Marshal
  • "Show me your hands...and other appendages..."
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2013, 12:08:28 AM »
So I found out today that there may be a new law passed here in the US that requires everyone 18 to 25 to serve in the military (for how long, I don't know). And I really, really don't have anything against the military, I have the utmost respect for all of you here who serve, but I hope this bill/law/whatever does not pass. I am 17 this year, so if this passes I will likely be serving in the military within a year or so. Now again, I am totally not down on the military in any form. But I am totally not cut out for it, period. I'm fairly tall, but I'm a scrawny little 125 lb. guy with very little physical endurance, and I am not very tolerant of pain, and I hate being yelled at (in other words, I couldn't stand boot camp) because being yelled at makes me feel like a failure. I don't know why, but it does. Again, I am not down on you guys in the military, or even the military itself,  in any form or fashion. But I just am not cut out for it, and I'd probably get (dis)honorably discharged within a few months. So, my prayers are fervently that this bill won't get passed.

Interesting.

Would you send a link to this information?

AFAIK USA hasn't had conscription (the draft) since the 1970s.   But Selective Service has never gone away. (That I know of).  Maybe it just hasn't been enforced in the last couple decades.

During the 80's, reminders for males to register when they turn 18 were all over American TV networks, or possibly suffer a huge fine/ jail time.

Personally I don't see the USA instituting a draft in the present geo-political climate.  I would be floored, literally.

Having said that, I personally have been torn in my feelings in the concept of mandatory military service.  There is a lot of good, but some bad too.

Volunteers make better soldiers, hands-down.  I can't see it being any other way.

But there are a lot of jobs that a conscripted person can do if they aren't cut out for 'combat duties' that would free up volunteers that want to do them.

In a time of war, every citizen has a duty to do their part for the good of the nation.  The ones that literally are incapable of serving will be weeded out in training.   And believe me, most people can be trained to serve some military specialty; there is almost no one who is of no use to the military.

Even during peace time, there is a lot of good that comes with having every able-bodied person get a little military training under their belt; but it comes with the risk of making people contemptuous of their own service...which is counter-productive I think.

A lot of countries have a mandatory service policy, with various levels of 'success'.

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2013, 03:16:09 AM »

Whoa, really? I had no idea of this. I turned 18 this year, and still haven't registered for selective service. I should get around to that.

I wouldn't mind going into the Navy or the Air Force at all, and I'm pretty sure there are roles I can fill in the other branches as well. Though I'm not too keen on boot camp either. I'm pretty physically fit, but I don't take getting yelled at very well. I beat myself up for my failures pretty badly.

I know South Korea has mandatory service for its adults, like six years or something. I don't think its a bad idea to introduce it to America. It might help instill some discipline in a generation where so many kids don't seem to understand what that means.

BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips

dredwulf60

• Republic Provost Marshal
  • "Show me your hands...and other appendages..."
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2013, 04:42:15 AM »
In any case, if military training became mandatory, it wouldn't be something to be afraid of, any more than any of the other mandatories in our society; things like going to school (homeschoolers excepted I guess) or going to your first job.

Basic training is hard; but not in the traumatic way presented by Hollywood.  (in my experience).  It's hard in the challenge-yourself and help each-other-out-so-you-become-a-team way.

The phobia a lot of young people have about being 'yelled at' is a direct side effect of our ultra-delicate society.  Yelling is just talking...but louder.

Drill Instructors may sound abusive, but you quickly realize it isn't personal.

Some of the very best memories are made in basic training.  Ask almost anyone who went through it.  For every person who was traumatized by basic training, there are probably 500 or more who were equally or more traumatized by playing little-league, or getting yelled at by some random douche on an online videogame.

When I became an instructor, I confirmed what i had suspected.  That the drill instructors act like they don't care about you at first, to hide the fact that they actually do have your very best interests at heart.  They are the archetypical hard but fair parent figure that so many families lack these days.

These are just some of the reasons that I wish we had mandatory service in my country.  

But I know it would never happen in my lifetime....   and there are some negatives.  There's nothing that is ever all-pro, no-con.  :)

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2013, 08:01:35 AM »
OK YOU SHABLA MORONS CALM DOWN!!!!!

ARC COMMANDER STUPID..... AND H BOMB

FIRST OF ALL.

NOBODY IS GETTING DRAFTED!!!!!

SECOND OF ALL.

NOBODY IS GETTING DRAFTED, NO BILL IS BEING PASSED.

THIRD OF ALL.... Are you shabla kidding me? "I respect the military but I'm not cut out for it." "I dont take well to getting yelled at." "I'll probably get dishonorably discharged within a few months" I SAW MY BROTHERS SWEAT BLEED AND DIE FOR OUR NATION. I WATCHED FAMILIES MOURN THEIR SONS AND DAUGHTERS WHO GAVE EVERYTHING TO STAND ON THE WALL AND DEFEND THE IDEALS OF THEIR NATION. ALL YOU SEE IS YOUR GONNA GET YELLED AT AND HAVE A LITTLE PHYSICAL PAIN???? YOUR PEERS LIKE ORONK, VLET HANSEN, AND DHAWARD KRAYT ARE DOING IT! N-11 ORDO IS CHOMPING AT THE BIT TO TURN 18 AND JOIN THE NAVY. YOU THINK ITS JUST ABOUT "BEING YELLED AT"??? I WISH AMY WOULD TURN THE CENSORS OFF FOR ME TO REALLY TELL YOU HOW I FEEL. YOU MAKE ME SICK. HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF JOHN FITZGERALD KENNEDY????? HE WAS A PRESIDENT WHO SAID "ASK NOT WHAT YOUR COUNTRY CAN DO FOR YOU BUT WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR COUNTRY" THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH YOUR GENERATION NO SACK TO BE MEN. GROW UP AND LET YOUR SACK DROP.....

I'm done. Pray to whatever deity you prefer that I don't get going again. Also....better yet, nevermind.

Drake and I agreed on something. Somebody get the camera out to capture the moment.

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2013, 11:07:50 AM »
Yeah I know I said that I don't take getting yelled at well and I beat myself up about it, but I beat myself up about it until I do it right the next time and all the time. Sure, its uncomfortable and I don't necessarily like it when I'm being yelled at but what comes out of it in the end is my own benefit. It's not like somebody yells at me and I break down and curl up into the fetal position.

BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2013, 11:49:44 AM »
OK YOU SHABLA MORONS CALM DOWN!!!!!

ARC COMMANDER STUPID..... AND H BOMB

FIRST OF ALL.

NOBODY IS GETTING DRAFTED!!!!!

SECOND OF ALL.

NOBODY IS GETTING DRAFTED, NO BILL IS BEING PASSED.

THIRD OF ALL.... Are you shabla kidding me? "I respect the military but I'm not cut out for it." "I dont take well to getting yelled at." "I'll probably get dishonorably discharged within a few months" I SAW MY BROTHERS SWEAT BLEED AND DIE FOR OUR NATION. I WATCHED FAMILIES MOURN THEIR SONS AND DAUGHTERS WHO GAVE EVERYTHING TO STAND ON THE WALL AND DEFEND THE IDEALS OF THEIR NATION. ALL YOU SEE IS YOUR GONNA GET YELLED AT AND HAVE A LITTLE PHYSICAL PAIN???? YOUR PEERS LIKE ORONK, VLET HANSEN, AND DHAWARD KRAYT ARE DOING IT! N-11 ORDO IS CHOMPING AT THE BIT TO TURN 18 AND JOIN THE NAVY. YOU THINK ITS JUST ABOUT "BEING YELLED AT"??? I WISH AMY WOULD TURN THE CENSORS OFF FOR ME TO REALLY TELL YOU HOW I FEEL. YOU MAKE ME SICK. HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF JOHN FITZGERALD KENNEDY????? HE WAS A PRESIDENT WHO SAID "ASK NOT WHAT YOUR COUNTRY CAN DO FOR YOU BUT WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR COUNTRY" THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH YOUR GENERATION NO SACK TO BE MEN. GROW UP AND LET YOUR SACK DROP.....

I'm done. Pray to whatever deity you prefer that I don't get going again. Also....better yet, nevermind.

Whoa, easy...I never said it was "just" about being yelled at. I know it's more than that, and more, I am proud to know people like N-11 who are eager to join -- again, I'm proud to know them. I know men in real life -- my grandfather for one -- who served in the armed forces, and I would never be disrespectful to any of them. One of my dad's friends has a son who was in the military, and he's one of the coolest guys I've ever met. Another of his friends has a brother in the military...I've never met him, but I would be honored to do so. My grandfather...well, there's no words that can describe the respect I have for the man. Anyone who serves in the armed forces (properly, to defend their country, not so they can shoot at people) deserves my utmost respect. Now, if I was drafted, I would take it. As I said, I am neither physically fit nor terribly inclined to handle pain, but I can when necessary. Maybe serving in the military would be the best thing in the world for me, who knows? My point is, some want to do that, they dream of it. My little brother, for one. And that's a great thing. I wish it was me. But I just can't see myself in that position, and I'd probably get flattened. As to the getting yelled at thing, though it makes me feel in some form that I've failed, it also makes me mad enough to push myself twice as hard. Maybe I would get through that, and in all likeliness, I would. But my point is...blazes, even though you yelled at me it just pretty much made me convince myself I might make it. Did you use reverse psychology, or are you just that good? In any case, I won't be joining voluntarily, but if I were drafted, I'd be proud to serve my term. I just...would prefer not to, really. It's not me.

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
For starters... "Whoa, easy".... Sod off!!! Better yet, just your mouth open your ears and eyeballs and pay attention!!! Next... "I know men in real life who served in the armed forces" Is there another kind of life? Your statements about people joining just to shoot other is so full of garbage I can't begin to address it. Do you realize that IF we had those types they would be removed. IF we had them they would screw up and get put in JAIL for MURDER.... NOBODY is equipped for PAIN, the human body DOES NOT TOLERATE pain well. NOBODY LIKES someone in their face yelling and screaming, its a training method that works though. I'll save you the trouble of worrying about being drafted. WE DON'T WANT YOU. WE WANT MEN AND WOMEN WHO WANT TO STAND ON THE WALL AND DEFEND THE PERSON TO THE RIGHT AND LEFT. You obviously do not have that. It's ok. Others do and they will be accepted into the fold. And yes, I am that good. Ask Vlet or Oronk. I taught Oronk about gunfighting using HALO and Modern Warfare 2 and kept an eye on Vlet his whole time in boot camp. Again, I am that good.

Also, don't reply and take up bandwidth. Find me on facebook or message me here and we'll work on turning your attitude around.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2013, 02:16:07 PM »
A lot of countries have a mandatory service policy, with various levels of 'success'.

Poland had mandatory service laws, but I think those were removed in the 70's or 80's. I know my grandfather served in an armoured division because of it, and I think he served the requisite four years and got out. From what I've heard and read, those laws were primarily enacted to make sure Poland had enough troops to a) make up for the loss of a majority of its population, b) make Poland look like a hard target, as to avoid the whole "invading" thing again, and c) to meet requirements passed down from the Soviets.

To be honest, I'm surprised more people in the US don't sign up for the reserves. After all, from my very limited understanding of the system, you are only called up for training every few months, have a significantly reduced chance of being deployed, due to the sheer size of the volunteer, full-time troops, and gain some benefits. Seems to me the benefits out-weigh the risks.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2013, 02:54:12 PM »
Yeah, reserves in the US usually just do a weekend a month, and a week a year or something close to that.
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2013, 02:55:35 PM »
Okay, I've taken my conversation with Carnivore to PM. But I want to apologize to those of you in the military before I sign off. I didn't mean to offend you, really. I'm sorry.

Carnivore 1

• Warfighter
  • I fight your wars.
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2013, 03:52:04 PM »
Gents I'm moving this to the Military thread.

@Drake,

Your mostly right. Except that the reserves have deployed more in the past ten years than ever before. A lot of the bennies aren't that great anymore either.

Mereel Skirata

• Mod Staff
  • Senior Clone Commander
  • For Mandalore!
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2013, 04:22:02 PM »
Topics have been Merged.
Resident Costumer.

"Now boys.. no comparing verp sizes...."

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2013, 05:19:48 PM »
A lot of the bennies aren't that great anymore either.

And that's only going to get worse, for career personnel as well, since a majority of the spending cuts from the sequester are in the DoD.