Author Topic: EA to make new Star Wars games  (Read 8303 times)

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
  • Lock S-Foils in attack position.
EA to make new Star Wars games
« on: May 06, 2013, 06:09:04 PM »
Looks like we've found out who LucasArt's successor is (sort of).  EA have just got the exclusive rights to make new Star Wars games, which they'll be focusing on "a core audience" with.  They've stated that DICE (Battlefield) and Visceral Games (Dead Space) will join BioWare in making new games with the Star Wars IP.  So, Star Wars-themed Battlefield game, anyone? :D

http://www.edge-online.com/news/ea-strikes-exclusive-deal-to-develop-core-star-wars-games/

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/404635/ea-secures-exclusive-rights-to-core-star-wars-game-development/
Clone Pilot armour project: helmet, chest - pepped.
RC helmet: done.

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
Re: EA to make new Star Wars games
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 06:15:11 PM »
Booooooo EA!

Yaaaaaay DICE!

Very intriguing, I'm interested to see what they'll come up with!

BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips

TheAwkwardEngineer

• Private Recruit
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 08:43:27 PM »
You can say goodbye to Star Wars games on Steam now...

The only upside I can see is that BioWare might get the chance to do another installment of KOTOR.

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 01:08:55 AM »
The only upside I can see

So you might need glasses then. Say what you want about EA, but there is no denying that they make some of the best games on the market, leaps and bounds over anything Lucas Arts ever published.

So there's one: the increased quality of the potential Star Wars games.

Additionally, EA is a fiscally sound company, They wont start a project, run out of money, wait a few years, get some more money, file for bankruptcy, and drop their product, making it all for naught.

So there's two: the increased probability of a potential Star Wars game actually being released.

Finally, EA has very good hiring practices when it comes to its design-level employees, the types of people who have a near fanatical devotion to their product.

So there's three: the people making the potential Star Wars games will actually care about their product, something Lucas Arts seemed to know nothing about.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 02:19:21 AM »
Well, I hate the business side of EA, but the games are good, and I'll take that hit for Star Wars.
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 09:05:54 AM »
I am a little wary due to EA's past with DRM, but then again they are awaiting a new CEO after John Riccitiello stepped down and they just announced that The Sims 4 won't follow SimCity's always online model, and will instead be single-player offline only.  And it will all be powered by Frostbite 3, which should result in some great looking games if Frostbite 2's perfomance in Battlefield 3 is anythig to go by.

Plus, EA have just started asking fans to tell them on Twitter what games we want them to make!

http://www.ea.com/news/ea-and-disney-team-up-on-new-star-wars-games

The only upside I can see is that BioWare might get the chance to do another installment of KOTOR.
Wouldn't count on it.  BioWare said before the launch of TOR that they had put enough content into it to act as the next dozen KotOR games combined.  While a new KotOR game would be great, I'm expecting them to just continue supporting TOR for the time being.

TheAwkwardEngineer

• Private Recruit
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 09:13:21 AM »
So you might need glasses then. Say what you want about EA, but there is no denying that they make some of the best games on the market, leaps and bounds over anything Lucas Arts ever published.

So there's one: the increased quality of the potential Star Wars games.

Additionally, EA is a fiscally sound company, They wont start a project, run out of money, wait a few years, get some more money, file for bankruptcy, and drop their product, making it all for naught.

So there's two: the increased probability of a potential Star Wars game actually being released.

Finally, EA has very good hiring practices when it comes to its design-level employees, the types of people who have a near fanatical devotion to their product.

So there's three: the people making the potential Star Wars games will actually care about their product, something Lucas Arts seemed to know nothing about.

All very good points! EA definitely publishes quality games, and at this point anything they do will better than LucasArts. I've just had bad experiences with Origin and EA's other DRM schemes in the past. But as Flyboy points out, they're getting a new CEO, and maybe they've learned from the SimCity fiasco.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 09:21:30 AM by TheAwkwardEngineer »

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 04:21:14 AM »
I'm actually really excited to hear this! I agree with the points Drake made about EA, so optimistic there. DICE will bring at the very least a beautiful engine for the games to run on. and I love the Deadspace games, I'm excited to see what Visceral will do with Star Wars material.

And I've yet to dislike a Bioware game, so anything they're involved in is a plus for me :D

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 07:44:17 AM »
Well, we've just got out first hints at what could be in development.  Its been found out that a range of new Star Wars domain names have been registered.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/lucasfilm-registers-multiple-star-wars-domain-names-report-6408124?tag=nl.e607&s_cid=e607&ttag=e607

Star Wars Wolf Pack and Wolf Pack Adventures sound promising to me, especially if it turns out Dice is developing them as Battlefield: Bad Company-style games.  I'm also expecting the Gungan Frontier ones to be handled by Disney, since EA only have the rights to make "core games", rather then casual ones.

Hopefully we will be finding out more in a few weeks as EA have said all 3 studios they have working on Star Wars titles have new content to show at E3.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 07:47:20 AM by flyboy424 »

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 04:24:28 PM »
I'm afraid of "Gungan Frontier." However, "Wolfpack" and "Order 67" sound like they could be spiritual successors of Republic Commando, at least in gameplay. "Wolfpack" is Plo Koon's clone unit, so it could be a FPS, which would be really cool, and "Order 67" could be (speculation only) about clones who refuse to execute Order 66 and instead decide to fight the Empire...or something. Either way, they could be fun, or maybe not. We'll see.

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.

Mereel Skirata

• Mod Staff
  • Senior Clone Commander
  • For Mandalore!
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 01:12:25 AM »
I for one don't care who makes em as long as they are even moderately fun,

Also saw this and thought it was kinda funny.
Resident Costumer.

"Now boys.. no comparing verp sizes...."

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 06:14:30 AM »
It's just been announced that EA is opening a new DICE studio in LA at the end of the month, with their sole purpose being to make Star Wars games.  What's more, its been said that some of the staff at the new studio will be Medal of Honor devs who worked at Danger Close studio.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/44188/EA-opens-LA-DICE-to-work-on-Star-Wars-games

Well, if that isn't a clear sign that they're working on a new Star Wars shooter, then I don't know what is.

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 10:18:16 PM »
If there's a new shooter, maybe the forum will pick up activity again. :)

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 05:21:50 AM »
One can hope!
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 05:15:05 PM »
EA CFO Blake Jorgensen has name-dropped Battlefront as a series they have an opportunity to work with using the Star Wars licence during a talk at the  the Stifel 2013 Technology Conference.  He also said that they're not making movie games, but standalone titles (though they may be released around the same time as the movies for marketing).

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/ea-teases-new-star-wars-battlefront-game-6408642

He also mentions that EA are committed to releasing on current-gen consoles until at least 2017, so we won't have to upgrade to the next gen consoles just yet.

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 10:06:14 PM »
Battlefront 3?

tee18

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 11:49:48 AM »
So whats happening to star wars 1313?  Will it go on, or is it done for?
"When walking through hell, keep going" -Winston Churchhill