Author Topic: Star Wars: Rogue One (The First Spin-Off)  (Read 6321 times)

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
Star Wars: Rogue One (The First Spin-Off)
« on: March 17, 2015, 02:38:23 AM »
Boom!

http://www.starwars.com/news/rogue-one-is-the-first-star-wars-stand-alone-film-rian-johnson-to-write-and-direct-star-wars-episode-viii

Thoughts? Any bets that it will feature Rogue Squadron and rad X-Wing dogfights? If so, I am beyond excited!

BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
Re: Star Wars: Rogue One (The First Spin-Off)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 04:09:50 PM »
I'd watch 2 hours of dogfighting...
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

dredwulf60

• Republic Provost Marshal
  • "Show me your hands...and other appendages..."

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 01:15:28 PM »
puns please go and stay go
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

Talo

• Captain
  • "Walk with doom, brother."
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 02:10:12 PM »
I'm surprised this is coming out before Episode VII.

Unit 899

• Major
  • Wassup.
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 04:05:26 PM »
It's not, is it? Rogue One is coming out in 2017 whereas VII is this year. Or am I mistaken?

Quote from: Eparavu
Then out of nowhere you are like I AM THE GODDAMN BRONY BATMAN.
Quote from: N-11
Better to post infrequently and have good things to say, then to post all the time and say a lot of useless crap.

N-11 Commander Ordo

• Special Operations
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 06:11:28 PM »
No, it isn't :) Ep VII is at the end of this year, Rogue One is scheduled for December 2016.

"First Platoon wins!""And how do you figure that?""The others cheated.""I say they improvised.""They cheated!""THEY ADAPTED AND OVERCAME!"

Find an excuse to win.

Talo

• Captain
  • "Walk with doom, brother."
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 09:14:48 PM »
My mistake. Star Wars VIII not VII comes out five months after Rogue One.

Commander Dimal

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 09:05:45 PM »
So, on the final day of Celebration Anaheim, a short teaser trailer was released for Rouge One. I haven't seen it, but I'm sure someone will put it on Youtube within the next few days. We also learned some new information about the movie.

Apparently, the plot will involve a squadron of rebels going on a daring mission to steal the Death Star plans. To tell you the truth, I literally face-palmed when I heard this. This has to be like the tenth story there is about the Death Star plans being stolen. I know that the other stories aren't technically considered canon anymore, but still, come on? Couldn't they think of something more creative? It's nothing spectacular that we haven't seen or heard before. It sounds pretty boring to me.

There are some many other interesting things they could explore and make stories about, but instead they choose this? Disney claims that the reason that they got rid of the old EU is so that they would have more creative freedom and wouldn't be restricted by it, but so far, the opposite seems to be happening. They have so much material they could use and explore, but they are too short sighted to do any of that and seem to be too scared to leave the Original Trilogy's shadow and try anything new. It seems like only want to focus on the Original Trilogy era now and milk it dry, similar to how a few years ago, it was the Clone Wars era that was being milked dry.

One of the people who manages the Star Wars canon, Pablo Hidalgo even once commented in the past that you could fill a dinner table with all the people who have supposedly stolen the Death Star plans and you still wouldn't be sure how many settings you would need. This is just adding another one to the list.
*Text in my profile picture*

Durge: "You know, it's been over a century since I killed a Jedi… and today, I'll get to kill four of you. Add that to the Gungans I already murdered, the hostages I'm going to kill later, and all the Naboo who will die tomorrow, and it's a damn good week."

dredwulf60

• Republic Provost Marshal
  • "Show me your hands...and other appendages..."
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 07:07:25 AM »

Apparently, the plot will involve a squadron of rebels going on a daring mission to steal the Death Star plans. To tell you the truth, I literally face-palmed when I heard this. This has to be like the tenth story there is about the Death Star plans being stolen. I know that the other stories aren't technically considered canon anymore, but still, come on? Couldn't they think of something more creative? It's nothing spectacular that we haven't seen or heard before. It sounds pretty boring to me.

Interesting thoughts.

I think it comes down to execution.

I have heard it is going to be a heist style movie...which could be particularly enjoyable if it's done right.  There could be a lot of working parts in a plan that audacious.

The jettison of the EU actually does give more creative freedom.  This is case in point; as you have shown yourself with the comment of Pablo Hidalgo.  The theft of the Death Star plans has been so muddled by the EU that it's a joke.   A movie like this will define the events without having to worry about what the EU had to say about it at all.