Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens  (Read 1692 times)

tee18

• Lieutenant
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
« on: December 24, 2015, 01:14:28 PM »
So.. about that movie huh.  I personally thought it was pretty good.

[spoiler]But then, I liked Jacen/Caedus[/spoiler]
"When walking through hell, keep going" -Winston Churchhill

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 02:41:25 PM »
I think they had the wrong focus.
(lifted off my facebook)
[spoiler]SW7 would have been infinitely better if Kylo, Rey, the Starkiller, and the Luke subplot were all removed.
Make Phasma the main villain, make Finn and Poe the primary focus, and have the movie set regarding the Resistance fighting the insurgent FO and you've got yourself a far better movie.

If you REALLY feel the need to force your lightsabers in the story, make Luke a successful master who has too many political ties with the Republic to overtly support the resistance but sends Rey (his protege and not from an shebs-backwards planet) to the Resistance as aid, and you can still have Kylo as like, a defector or something. [/spoiler]
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

Riotv2

• Captain
  • Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 11:58:57 PM »
Ok...I just saw the movie and I left feeling...like I lost something.
[spoiler]between the overused plots, the underwhelming villans, and the fact that they. Killed. Han...[/spoiler]

This movie just felt to me like it was more a work of  bad AU fanfiction. Anyone else feel this way too?

Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade.

A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead."

-------------------------------

Remember...the EU will be with you...always.

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 10:34:15 PM »
yeah, pretty much
It's Indiana Vlet!

Commander Dimal

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 03:44:49 PM »
After watching this movie, I have a very hard time believing that the throwing out of the old Expanded universe was worth it, especially considering that Episode 7 was basically a rehash of Episode 4. At this point, it's obvious that getting rid of the EU was motivated by pure financial reasons rather than "creative freedom" as Disney claims. Where's the creative freedom in a rehash of a movie we've already seen many times before?

In case some of you might not be aware, the real reason for Disney de-canonizing the EU was because they did not want to have to keep paying royalties to all of the EU creators. Back when the EU first started up in the 90's, Lucasfilm made a contract that whenever any of the characters made by the EU authors/creators were used, they would be payed royalties. So that is why Disney will not use any old EU characters. They have re-canonized many other things from the EU, such as events, locations, species, groups, etc... but you will never see them bring actual characters back into the canon. Instead, they will pretty much just remake their own versions of those characters and call it new. So say goodbye to Thrawn and Mara Jade, and hello to Jara Made and Rawnth (those are just examples, they don't actually exist, but I wouldn't be surprised if Disney did make such characters).

If you want an actual example, there's:
[spoiler]Ben Solo. He is pretty much just Jacen Solo, with maybe Ben Skywalker mixed in. They could have easily named him Jacen, but probably named him Ben just so there couldn't be a Ben Skywalker.[/spoiler]

Disney's "creative freedom" is nothing but a shallow lie to disguise what they have really done. They'll continue to feed us basically the same osik from the old EU, but recreated under their own banner.

This movie, in my opinion was pretty mediocre. I'd give it a 7/10, and that's me being generous. Can we have the EU back now Disney? No? I guess not. When Disney bought Star Wars, they said they would not reboot Star Wars like they did with Marvel, but their actions so far have said otherwise. Right after saying that, they throw out the old EU, and then make a new movie that is pretty much a remade version of the first Star Wars movie. That's a reboot if ever I saw one. 
*Text in my profile picture*

Durge: "You know, it's been over a century since I killed a Jedi… and today, I'll get to kill four of you. Add that to the Gungans I already murdered, the hostages I'm going to kill later, and all the Naboo who will die tomorrow, and it's a damn good week."

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 12:28:05 PM »
This is why I lost hope for everything months ago.

Ah well, I have my world with my friends where the EU exists, and they can't take that from me.
It's Indiana Vlet!

Commander Dimal

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 01:16:32 AM »
In my opinion, probably one of the only good things that has come out of this new canon that's actually worth looking into is Star Wars: Rebels. It's made by the same people who had made The Clone Wars,  and the creators are probably the only people at Lucasfilm now that legitimately gave a damn about the old expanded universe and were sad to see it go. They actually try to incorporate as many elements from the old expanded universe as they can into the new stuff. The new Rebels season 2 midseason trailer was a huge indicator of that.

Granted, with The Clone Wars there may have made some contradictions with the old expanded universe, but it's not like they can be expected to have read and know every single piece of lore from the old expanded universe. Most of those contradictions were actually the result of George Lucas interference rather than them screwing up and getting the lore wrong. To me, it was the thought that counts, and the fact that they care enough to keep putting elements from the old expanded universe into Rebels makes me very happy that there are still people in Lucasfilm that care about the old expanded universe. It's obvious that they probably grew up with the old expanded universe themselves.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 03:03:25 PM by Commander Dimal »

Durge: "You know, it's been over a century since I killed a Jedi… and today, I'll get to kill four of you. Add that to the Gungans I already murdered, the hostages I'm going to kill later, and all the Naboo who will die tomorrow, and it's a damn good week."

privatehazzard

• Private
  • If you wanna play some multi email me.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 01:02:39 AM »
I propose we make our OWN star wars prequels lineage, with beer, and hookers!

But seriously though, ever since george lucas thought it would be a good idea to feed half the established supporting villains to a giant eel monster and have teddy bears destroy tanks with logs, star wars has just gotten more and more convoluted. I tried thinking of ways to rewrite the prequels to be good but for the life of me I cannot think of a good way to do so.
I miss the full site =(

Commander Dimal

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 09:23:32 PM »
Hopefully Episode VIII will be much better. At least there will be a different director. Well, there's also Rouge One to look forward to later this year in December.