Author Topic: Forum Guidelines: Off-topic Posting  (Read 3601 times)

Amy

• Clone Marshall Commander
Forum Guidelines: Off-topic Posting
« on: January 09, 2007, 09:54:30 AM »
There has been some concern and conflict over how much off-topic posting should be allowed here.

I have no problems if you go off-topic for a few posts. Anything more than that should start a new thread. Whether you start the thread or not, the contents of a thread should be in line with the first post and with the forum the thread is posted in. Anything not in the Off-topic forum is expected to be mostly related to Star Wars. If you want to discuss something non-Star Wars-related, start a new thread in the Off-topic forum, or post in one of the many 'random chat' threads in there. Threads that haven't had new posts in a while are NOT fair game for off-topic conversation, regardless of who started them.

Forums are supposed to be open to newcomers. These new people don't have to have been there when the original topic was posted - they can simply read the thread and join in the conversation. But if the thread title has little or nothing to do do with the posts inside, it becomes very difficult to join in. So yes, that's when the atmosphere of the forum turns into a chatroom. This is not good. If you guys want a chatroom, I can probably set one up for you. But these forums are designed for intelligent and topical conversation - you can have fun, of course, but there still must be rules and guidelines. Forums are not designed to be a site you hang around all day refreshing, and posting only a sentence or two at a time - that's a chatroom. Or designated chat threads in the Off-topic forum. Forums are something you can pop in or out of as you please, and easily be able to pick up where you last left off without having to wade through a million off-topic posts.

I'm amazed at how this forum has taken off since I opened it, and I'm very happy you are choose to spend your time here posting and having fun. But let's try to be more welcoming of people who may not have the time to read every single post of every thread, ok? :) Let's get some more serious discussions going again - I know you're all smart people, we had a wonderful discussion of Triple Zero a while back. Let's have more of that!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 01:19:13 PM by Amy »

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
Re: Forum Guidelines: Off-topic Posting
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 06:15:17 PM »
And us newcomers thank you.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?