Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2014, 06:09:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
109040 Posts in 1932 Topics by 496 Members
Latest Member: Rosethorn18
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Brothers All :: Forum
|-+  Clones & Star Wars
| |-+  Republic Commando Novels & Short Stories
| | |-+  Verpine Shatter Gun
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Verpine Shatter Gun  (Read 23978 times)
Ky'ram Parjai'Kote
Disgruntled MMORPG
Commander

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 06:06:49 PM »

Because they wanted it to be.

End of story.

Lists of games I play:
-- Star Trek Online
-- KOTOR (1 and 2)
-- SWTOR
-- Terraria
-- TF2
-- Magicka
-- Left 4 Dead 2
-- Garry's Mod
And nearly any other F2P game on this planet.
Laam'inui
Major

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 06:15:15 PM »

That's the stupidest and most useless reason you could use to explain away something.

Quote from: Boba Fett
"You can't rule Mandalorians. You just make sensible suggestions they want to follow. And since when have Mandalorians needed to be told what makes sense?"
Mark
Commander

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 09:37:11 PM »

That's the stupidest and most useless reason you could use to explain away something.

That's the stupidest and most useless post you could use to explain away something.

Ignorance is a choice. Posting in ignorance is also a choice. Be prepared for the consequences.
Laam'inui
Major

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 11:10:19 PM »

That's the stupidest and most useless post you could use to explain away something.

"You can't rule Mandalorians. You just make sensible suggestions they want to follow. And since when have Mandalorians needed to be told what makes sense?"
Ky'ram Parjai'Kote
Disgruntled MMORPG
Commander

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 11:15:28 PM »

That's the stupidest and most useless way to spam a page.

Lists of games I play:
-- Star Trek Online
-- KOTOR (1 and 2)
-- SWTOR
-- Terraria
-- TF2
-- Magicka
-- Left 4 Dead 2
-- Garry's Mod
And nearly any other F2P game on this planet.
Laam'inui
Major

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 11:51:03 PM »

That's the stupidest and most useless way to contribute to spam that you're saying is stupid and useless.

RC-1990 (Ram'ser)
Lieutenant

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2009, 02:02:03 AM »

Gentlemen! While I may not be a mod, you had better stop that. Not only is it way off topic, but that kind of behaviour is stupid, child-like, when you joined Brothers All, you agreed to not spam on the site. So knock it off!! Friendly warning vode, before a real mod has to have words with you.

Certainty of death, small chance of success, what are we waiting for?! - Gimli, LOTR
In Kenpo, we often are told that our techniques are overkill, we believe that they are overskill.
Scorch: "I've got a bad feeling about this" as he steps on top of a land mine; palm to visor!
Anecdote
Senior Clone Commander

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 03:54:53 AM »

Thanks, Ram'ser, but it seems I've arrived.

Ky'ram: Watch your mouth. You've been going off in threads, and quite frankly I don't like it.

Laam: Don't feed the troll. It's just a bad idea.

Mark: I love you.

Now guys...

"Blame for error always lies with those who act; those who do nothing, what do they have to be wrong about?"
Mia Ge'tal'mesh
Master Assassin
Commander

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2009, 04:10:00 AM »

In the words of Monty Python: "I don't like spam!"  tongue

*ahem*  Anywho, Laam'inui, Ky'ram's pretty much right.  Simple answer's the best one sometimes.  As far as I know, there's no real cannon image of what a Verpine sniper rifle really looks like so it's pretty much up to the fans to make up whatever they think it looks like.  The one you said was too short and wide was what Ray Ramirez (if I'm not mistaken, which I could be you know... upsidedown) felt was the Verp from his imagination.  And I'm pretty sure he's basically the first guy to do and got Ms Traviss' stamp of Mando approval.  Personally, I like it.  It kinda fits with the thing Kal said about them being able to fire rocks if they had to, ya know?  Bigger barrel makes sense.

Mark, I gotta say that it was pretty funny and ironic to throw that back (I know I laughed! big grin) but after the first time.... I dunno.  Hey, didn't you used to be a mod like right around the time I joined up?  Tisk, tisk!  Somebody should know better. lolz

You were dying to whip that out again, weren't you Anecdote?  wink

"To say nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
Laam'inui
Major

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2009, 01:43:04 PM »

A short barrel would not work, because the barrel would have to be long for the electromagnetic coils to accelerate the projectile to a high enough speed to do decent damage; as the Verpine rifles do such ridiculous amounts of damage, the barrel would have to be a good size.  You also have to take into account that the projectile leaving the barrel would create a very loud noise with a simple barrel like that, yet Verps are said to be silent.  How is that possible unless they have some sort of built-in-silencer that diffuses or cuts the sound on the end of the barrel?

Mark
Commander

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2009, 04:58:54 PM »

Mark: I love you.

Don't tell my wife.

Ignorance is a choice. Posting in ignorance is also a choice. Be prepared for the consequences.
Carnivore 1
Warfighter

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2009, 05:13:10 PM »

Just a little real world knowledge on barrel length. Longer barrelled weapons are more accurate because of the fact that a longer barrel gives the projectile a longer track, so to speak. It's the difference in a weapon that shoots 500 yds and one that shoots 800.

The  purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in
defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more
important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

Drake and I agreed on something. Somebody get the camera out to capture the moment.
RC-1990 (Ram'ser)
Lieutenant

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2009, 12:35:49 AM »

True, true; but since we're dealing with something from the SW verse, it doesn't have to be that important does it? Their technology is alot more compact than ours. Personally, I think that the rifle that Ray made is cool  big grin.

Certainty of death, small chance of success, what are we waiting for?! - Gimli, LOTR
In Kenpo, we often are told that our techniques are overkill, we believe that they are overskill.
Scorch: "I've got a bad feeling about this" as he steps on top of a land mine; palm to visor!
Mark
Commander

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »

A short barrel would not work, because the barrel would have to be long for the electromagnetic coils to accelerate the projectile to a high enough speed to do decent damage;

This is a silly assumption, and your first mistake. The Star Wars universe has planet and star destroying super weapons, laser beams that are essentially frozen in time that can cut through anything, blasters that fire coherent bolts of light, ships that travel faster then lightspeed, and artificial intelligence.

Given that amount of technology, I'm sure they would have no problem designing a system that could be very compact and still accelerate a projectile to a high enough speed.

You also have to take into account that the projectile leaving the barrel would create a very loud noise with a simple barrel like that, yet Verps are said to be silent.  How is that possible unless they have some sort of built-in-silencer that diffuses or cuts the sound on the end of the barrel?

This is - again - a silly assumption. There are two facts that need to be explored here. First the typical sound coming from a rifle barrel has to do with the explosive forces behind the bullet. A typical silencer will absorb the sounds made by this sound. We don't have that problem here, as there is no explosion. The second sources of sounds would be - as you state - the sound of projectile actually leaving the end of the barrel - but this assumes a snug fit to the barrel. A snug fit into the barrel is only necessary if you need the explosive forces behind the projectile to propel it out of the barrel...which is unnecessary in an electromagnetic weapon.

Consider this: the design that was originally presented with two short rails for the electromagnets running down the inside of the barrel, the projectile is pushed by the magazine between these rails and these rails propel it out of the end of the barrel. The barrel exists to protect the rails and the projectile from any prevailing elements - hail, wind, rain, etc etc - while the projectile is being directed along to it's target.

Short Barrel. No sound. Existing design.

Mereel Skirata
Mod Staff
Senior Clone Commander

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2009, 12:31:30 PM »

Thank you Mark.  smile

Resident Costumer.

"Now boys.. no comparing verp sizes...."
RC-1990 (Ram'ser)
Lieutenant

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2009, 01:15:35 PM »

Spot on vod.

Fenn Shysa
Captain

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2009, 02:39:04 PM »

One other thing about Verps - they are also pretty fragile (They said so in True Colors; and, Uthan supposedly dropped hers and it would not fire anymore).

Otherwise, I have to agree with some others have posted all ready; i.e.  Mark commented that we can't compare Star Wars tech with what we think of tech. - 2 different worlds, literally. (e.g. Barrel length may not need to be longer for greater accuracy either - There is no rifling (One of the books said, the Verp can supposedly shoot rocks if one ran out of ammo) 
And, like Mia said; in the absence of any real Canon-like descriptions; anybody's conception of the Shatter gun is valid. - And, some of the pics do look pretty cool

"I find your lack of faith distrubing."
Mark
Commander

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2009, 04:58:35 PM »

in the absence of any real Canon-like descriptions; anybody's conception of the Shatter gun is valid. - And, some of the pics do look pretty cool

This is only true of the rifle. There is an existing picture of a Verpine Shatter Gun (Pistol) in one of the RPG books. In the absence of any other canon related material, this is accepted as gospel. There's also a key point that everyone is missing here: Karen Traviss did not invent the Verpine Shatter Guns. They existed before she wrote the novels - she mentions in the forward of Hard Contact that she called someone at Lucas Arts to ask what kind of existing pistol existed that fulfilled a certain amount of criteria that she had established. Taking it one step farther she advanced the idea into a rifle.

Though to be fair - I am not so convinced there is NOT a picture of the rifle. The original appearance of the Verpine Shatter Gun is from one of the literally hundreds of expansions published for the RPG universe by West End Games. You would have to go through them all to find the exact reference - and it might very well contain a picture of a rifle as well.

dredwulf60
Republic Provost Marshal

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2010, 05:49:12 AM »

I have the book with the first appearance of the Verpine Shatter Gun.

The pistol. There was no rifle listing.

It is Galladinium's Fantastic Technology 

The image of the pistol is the same one posted to the star wars wikia here:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Verpine_shatter_gun

Mark
Commander

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2010, 01:03:04 PM »

I have the book with the first appearance of the Verpine Shatter Gun.

The pistol. There was no rifle listing.

It is Galladinium's Fantastic Technology 

The image of the pistol is the same one posted to the star wars wikia here:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Verpine_shatter_gun

I recently purchased this book to check and I am not entirely convinced that this is the original appearance. There is a whole table of listings for various other weapons in the back from a variety of different sources, and the WEG material often quoted text and pictures from other sources to appear in new books and 'pad' them with new content.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: