Author Topic: Post attachments  (Read 1982 times)

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
  • Lock S-Foils in attack position.
Post attachments
« on: September 30, 2008, 04:34:47 PM »
I'm not sure how much control mods have over forums settings, so this may be something we'll have to wait for Amy to get back for (in which case I can wait :) ), but basically I tried to upload a simple 1.1 mb .zip file for a recent post, only to find it's not supported.  the .doc that was in the .zip (to reduce size and save server space) I saw was accepted, but at 1.4 mb it was over the max limit.  I don't need to upload often, and I doubt many people here do, but I just think that firstly the max upload limit is too small and that .zip files aren't supported isn't very good.  I understand that I could easily use my own website to host the file and simply link to it, but with a 50 mb limit on my site (and most taken up/needed by large add-on files I make for a flight sim I use) and the fact I'd have to go to the host, login, etc, it seems to long winded for a simple 1 mb file!  As I said, I don't use it much but I think that what is there isn't as good as it could be for when it is needed.  I don't think that you need to increase by much though.  I think 5 mb to 10 mb should be good, but just anything more then 512 kb would be nice!

One other request I have, on the same topic, is for the ability to cancel an upload.  I understand this may be more down to the forum software, but it would be nice to be able to just cancel an upload when I realise it's too big  :P .

So far, this is the only problem I've had with the site (I've gotten used to the layout, so I'm fine navigating and, BTW, I like the clone trooper helmets to signal if there are any new posts!), and it's not enough to drive me away from this site, but it is something I wouldn't mind having done as I think it's nice to know that you have a decent limit for when you need to upload.  I think all that's left to say now is to keep up the good work everyone.
Clone Pilot armour project: helmet, chest - pepped.
RC helmet: done.

Mark

• Commander
Re: Post attachments
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 04:40:42 PM »
I to wish there was more freedom with post attachments, but at the same time I understand the bandwidth and space limitations that come with that added feature. Unfortunately, that IS something that needs Amy to be adjusted, as we have nothing to do with the actual settings of the forum.
Ignorance is a choice. Posting in ignorance is also a choice. Be prepared for the consequences.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 05:10:21 PM »
No worries then.  I'm glad you agree though.  I also understand about the bandwidth part, and I was trying to upload a .zip originally to help save space as that is standard procedure on another forums I post on (but then as we're usually posting stuff we're developing, we tend to need to save as much space of the 15 mb limit we can ;) ).  As I said, I don't use it often (in fact, I think this is the first time I've used it here) so I'm not worried and I guess I should really get around to bookmarking the login screen of my webhost in the meantime (which I'll have to do twice.  Oh the joys of booting 2 operating systems on 1 PC!).  Thanks anyway Akula.

Amy

• Clone Marshall Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 06:39:36 PM »
I upped the size limit to 2 MB per attachment and added zip to the accepted extensions. It was one of those things where there had to be a limit and I didn't know what to put... but hey, if people will use it, go for it. :)

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 07:29:20 PM »
Oh, hey your back!  Thanks for sorting this out.  I expect it'll be one of those things now where I've asked for it but won't need it for a while.  Ah well, it's done now.