Author Topic: The Future of the Community  (Read 15607 times)

Darin Daru'Kasem

• I don't have a avatar because I can't find one nerdy enough
  • Commander
Re: The Future of the Community
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2008, 10:28:47 AM »
Most Impressive.. Here are some Images..

I'll give you the IMG Codes if you need them

IC-1989

• Brothers All Archiver
  • Commander
  • Warning! Commando At Work!
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2008, 11:01:55 AM »
OK, the next release is ready.  This will be my last major update unitl image manipulation is implemented, and as such this is now version 1 of the program.
Could you give us a link...
I know it isn't my place,

Just give your opinion... we're trying to make the fans/forum-members happy :D

Darin Daru'Kasem

• Commander
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2008, 11:07:07 AM »
OK, It seems to be working.  I've just uploaded it to my website and here is a direct link (I knew I wouldn't need that increased attachment space! :P ).

Think thats it.....

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
  • Lock S-Foils in attack position.
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2008, 11:18:28 AM »
Yep, that is the link.  I expect I'll update my site to provide a link to it there, but for now use the one from one of my much earlier posts.

Those pictures are good, Darin, and I'm not sure yet if I'll use any of them, but it certainly is tempting.

Now, after a quick think, I've decided to inclue a special feature that, although it might seem minor when you hear it, I think will enhance my program even more.  I'm not going to say what it is yet, and it's going to take a bit of time to fully implement it, but it's a first on any program I've done and I only intend to release it once I've got the image stuff sorted.

EDIT: It seems it'll take much longer then I originally thought.  Still, if I work on it every now and then, I should have it just about done by the time I've got to grips with dealing with images.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 11:36:19 AM by flyboy424 »
Clone Pilot armour project: helmet, chest - pepped.
RC helmet: done.

Darin Daru'Kasem

• Commander
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2008, 12:05:10 PM »
Please, please please please give us a hint?! lemme guess, *rubs chin* I know! Is it a Picture editor? so you can see what they look like? Or Ummmm, Gimme a minute.....

For the pictures, These are my Favs:

Also, Flyboy, can you make it so you Don't have to write in the type of Gun, you have to chose? Like CD-17 Hand Blaster, DC-17m Interchangeable Weapon System, DC-15, stuff like that, to limit it down if ya know what I mean.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 12:22:13 PM by Darin Prudiiverd »

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2008, 12:24:10 PM »
The picture editor I've already mentioned I'm going to try and put in (well, sorta) so it's not that, although be sure that pictures will become a big part of the next release.  To be honest, I can't really think about how I could give a hint about the 'speacial feature'.  It's something most big software has these days, but you may not use it often except just after installing/configuring.  I did say it might seem like a minor thing when I first mentioned it, and I can only really see one option on it being used often (you'll know why when I do decide to mention it).

Darin Daru'Kasem

• Commander
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2008, 12:27:03 PM »
Hmmm.... lemme think....

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2008, 11:40:56 PM »
I think we should decide if each person wants their own Commando or their own Squad for this.

If people make their own squads we can organize each one individually.

If people make their own commandos, we can sort through them and organise each on into respective squads.

I might start to get together a roster of who wants to be included in this project, like Akula said.

Mark

• Commander
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2008, 01:27:35 AM »
I think we should decide if each person wants their own Commando or their own Squad for this.

If people make their own squads we can organize each one individually.

If people make their own commandos, we can sort through them and organise each on into respective squads.

I might start to get together a roster of who wants to be included in this project, like Akula said.

I'm inclined to say they should be commandos, not squads. Squads take much more time to organize and create, and new members who join the forums might not be inclined to do all that work, and so they won't join the Community Project. Individual Commandos are much easier to create.
Ignorance is a choice. Posting in ignorance is also a choice. Be prepared for the consequences.

Cassus

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2008, 05:07:42 AM »
I'm inclined to say they should be commandos, not squads. Squads take much more time to organize and create, and new members who join the forums might not be inclined to do all that work, and so they won't join the Community Project. Individual Commandos are much easier to create.

I realize this is a commando site, but if you're going to remove the squad aspect, wouldn't it make more sense for us to just be our own legion of regular clone troopers?  I don't know about anyone else, but for me, commandos and squads kind of go hand-in-hand.  Besides, considering the sheer volume of people participating, if we're all going to be apart of the same "division", wouldn't be more like a legion instead of anything resembling commandos anyway?

Then again... I'll be honest and admit to not fully understanding how this whole thing will actually work.  So, I'm probably just confused.  At least, that's how I feel! :dead:

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2008, 06:06:01 AM »
I think that squads can still work, except instead of everyone having their own, each person joins together with 3 others so they form a squad together.  That way each person has just 1 commando and can have a squad.  I know that really relies on the number of participants being a multiple of 4, but it's an idea.

As it's the week, I'm not going to do much work on my project at the moment as university obviously takes priority.  I'll try to do bits each evening and wednesday I have free so I'll see if I can work then, but apart from that, it is temporarily on hold.

Mark

• Commander
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2008, 11:08:35 AM »
I realize this is a commando site, but if you're going to remove the squad aspect, wouldn't it make more sense for us to just be our own legion of regular clone troopers?  I don't know about anyone else, but for me, commandos and squads kind of go hand-in-hand.  Besides, considering the sheer volume of people participating, if we're all going to be apart of the same "division", wouldn't be more like a legion instead of anything resembling commandos anyway?

Then again... I'll be honest and admit to not fully understanding how this whole thing will actually work.  So, I'm probably just confused.  At least, that's how I feel! :dead:

Well you have to realize that every clone (Even Commandos) evolve on their own to a certain level before they are actually placed in a squad. And sometimes they might be pulled from that squad - even during training - and placed with another squad. So it's entirely likely that a commando evolves on his own before being placed with this 'brothers'.
Ignorance is a choice. Posting in ignorance is also a choice. Be prepared for the consequences.

Darin Daru'Kasem

• Commander
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2008, 04:48:12 PM »
I think that, are we talking RPGm or Fanfic? or the whole forum?

Cassus

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2008, 09:47:44 PM »
Well you have to realize that every clone (Even Commandos) evolve on their own to a certain level before they are actually placed in a squad. And sometimes they might be pulled from that squad - even during training - and placed with another squad. So it's entirely likely that a commando evolves on his own before being placed with this 'brothers'.

Wait, what?  So, you're saying that this whole project will take place before each commando would have been placed into squads?  But, in the novels, don't they get placed in their squads essentially from "birth"?  I'm sorry, but I'm just not understanding how you can have a bunch of commandos running around solo without squads.  They wouldn't be commandos.

I just think there needs to be some clarification as to what's actually happening.  It's been asked a few times now whether it's RPG or Fanfic and I'm still really confused on exactly what this whole project is.  I understand the gist of it, that we'd be a collective group of clone soldiers and that we'd be creating our own like, timeline, but beyond that I'm not sure what's going on.  Will people have the chance to write brief fanfics that deals with their character and then someone else would write a fanfic about their character and so on and so forth?  Or are we talking a more RPG style where person A and person B directly interact with one another?

I apologize for being the only one who is really questioning the whole thing, but it definitely needs to be questioned.  It's a great idea and it sounds like it'll be really fun, but it just needs to be explained more.

Mark

• Commander
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2008, 10:18:06 PM »
But, in the novels, don't they get placed in their squads essentially from "birth"?  I'm sorry, but I'm just not understanding how you can have a bunch of commandos running around solo without squads.  They wouldn't be commandos.

Actually, neither the novels nor the game support this theory. It's a common misconception people seem to have stuck to for some odd reason, like the same people who STILL think Order 66 is implanted into people's genetic code and it's impossible for them to ignore. It's clear in both cases that Squads are assigned as the training progresses, not from the very beginning, which makes perfect sense when you think about it. We know now that the genetic code isn't any different between Commandos and regular Clones, which means there's an entire subset of skills (like shooting, computer use, galactic history, all of the special orders, etc etc) that need to be taught to BOTH groups. So it makes sense that up to a certain age they both receive the same training.

But no, my point wasn't that people are all running around solo, that would be silly indeed. The Council is going to organize the roster, so the council is in charge of placing people within a squad, and sorting through the specialities of the commandos to ensure squads have a balance (you wouldn't want an all-sniper squad, for example. Well, I would, but the Republic probably wouldn't). With a special emphasis on breaking up some of the cliques that have formed around here and getting people to 'broaden' their horizons socially.

As for the RPG thing, this is not an RPG perse, because no one has to do anything with the characters they make. That being said, the main goal of this is to bring the fan art, fan fiction, and RPG people together with a common thread and universe that they can all dabble in, only instead of each doing their own thing, everyone would be doing/working on the SAME thing, leading to alot more positive discussions around the board.

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2008, 12:40:26 AM »
We'll have to keep an order with the Squad Leaders though. We can't have too many of each specialty or things might become unbalanced.

I suppose I might start on the roster. Should I create a topic for it, or just post the members in this topic?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 12:45:34 AM by H_BOMB »

IC-1989

• Brothers All Archiver
  • Commander
  • Warning! Commando At Work!
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2008, 01:00:27 AM »
I think it doesn't matter who wich speciality has.... I mean there are 10000 commandos

Cassus

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2008, 03:01:39 AM »
Actually, neither the novels nor the game support this theory. It's a common misconception people seem to have stuck to for some odd reason, like the same people who STILL think Order 66 is implanted into people's genetic code and it's impossible for them to ignore. It's clear in both cases that Squads are assigned as the training progresses, not from the very beginning, which makes perfect sense when you think about it. We know now that the genetic code isn't any different between Commandos and regular Clones, which means there's an entire subset of skills (like shooting, computer use, galactic history, all of the special orders, etc etc) that need to be taught to BOTH groups. So it makes sense that up to a certain age they both receive the same training.

I'm very hesitant to just take your word on this one.  As such, normally I would insist on you giving references as to why you feel this way, but this is not the thread to do that, so I won't.

As for the RPG thing, this is not an RPG perse, because no one has to do anything with the characters they make.

Now you've completely lost me, but that's ok.  I think I'll spectate on this one.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2008, 11:48:42 AM »
the council is in charge of placing people within a squad, and sorting through the specialities of the commandos to ensure squads have a balance (you wouldn't want an all-sniper squad, for example. Well, I would, but the Republic probably wouldn't). With a special emphasis on breaking up some of the cliques that have formed around here and getting people to 'broaden' their horizons socially
We'll have to keep an order with the Squad Leaders though. We can't have too many of each specialty or things might become unbalanced.

I suppose I might start on the roster. Should I create a topic for it, or just post the members in this topic?
Just so you're aware, I'm able to implement web features into my custom commando program so if you wish to set up an online resource, I should be able to have my program automatically update it (I say 'should' as I've never done it before) so it's a simple case of seeing who has selected what and then placing them as necessary.  I'm slowly learning the image stuff and I'm going to have a bit of practice with it all tonight, and with my 'special feature' and the removal of the squad input box, I've got quite a bit of work to keep me occupied when I'm not in uni (and as it's programming, I'm happy to do it :) ).

Mark

• Commander
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2008, 12:19:34 PM »
Just so you're aware, I'm able to implement web features into my custom commando program so if you wish to set up an online resource, I should be able to have my program automatically update it (I say 'should' as I've never done it before) so it's a simple case of seeing who has selected what and then placing them as necessary.  I'm slowly learning the image stuff and I'm going to have a bit of practice with it all tonight, and with my 'special feature' and the removal of the squad input box, I've got quite a bit of work to keep me occupied when I'm not in uni (and as it's programming, I'm happy to do it :) ).

I was actually wondering about that. I could set up an SQL Database and the program could write to the DB, and then we'd just need a PHP page to print up the results (all of which are fairly simple steps for me to take).

The only downside of this is that I would have to host the page on my server, not on the clone commandos site.