Author Topic: The Future of the Community  (Read 16106 times)

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
Re: The Future of the Community
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 01:52:32 PM »
I'm happy to let you help, flyboy424. That commando creator thing is looking awesome.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
  • Lock S-Foils in attack position.
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2008, 01:56:53 PM »
I must say, I think it looks much more professional then the other real project I've done so far.  I'm just playing around with file I/O (Input/Output) at the moment, so I'm getting my first few bugs with it, but apart from that it's going great.  Once I've sorted out file I/O I think I'll release a beta.

EDIT: OK, It seems to be working.  I've just uploaded it to my website and here is a direct link (I knew I wouldn't need that increased attachment space! :P ).

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 02:13:54 PM by flyboy424 »
Clone Pilot armour project: helmet, chest - pepped.
RC helmet: done.

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2008, 02:21:53 PM »
I just tried it out, it works awesomely. <If that's a word.

Darin Daru'Kasem

• I don't have a avatar because I can't find one nerdy enough
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008, 03:41:50 PM »
Very nice Ner Vod.... But be a little more creative with the Tool's, like add some other stuff, not just what we know about.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 03:54:32 PM »
I just tried it out, it works awesomely. <If that's a word.
Thanks.  If it isn't a word, use Akula's rule and use it again in a sentence to make it official :P . (I'm going to have to use that rule from now on! :D )

Very nice Ner Vod.... But be a little more creative with the Tool's, like add some other stuff, not just what we know about.
Tell me what you want and I'll see about including it.  One thing I definitely want actually is more specialities.  As I said, I'm waiting for the Community Council to decide on what details are wanted exactly, but I will keep what I've done so far going as long as I can (and remember, this is a single afternoons work!).

EDIT: OK , after thinking about it, here is a rough list of what I need to improve on my personal goals for the project, but lack the skills to do them:

--Program Icon.  I could possibly get one done, but I know others here would be much better at it.
--More specialities.  I can think of a few, but I would like for everyone else to contribute their ideas.
--Images.  As I mentioned, I want to be able to let my program create both avatars and signatures tailor made for the custom commandos created in this program.  I lack both the art and programming skills, but the latter I can work on easily.
--More equipment.  Again , I can think of a few more things to include, but would like others to contribute.

I think that's it for now.  One concern I have is for the number field.  I'm sure everyone will eventually work it out, but I'm wondering if (providing it's kept by the community council) there will be anything I could reference to automatically check if a number is taken (ideally a database would do, but I understand that may not be possible).  If I can, I'll see if I can get my program to access and check/update a master file stored somewhere (I should have space on my website still), but that depends on the limitations of Delphi really and I know it can interface with databases.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 04:39:20 PM by flyboy424 »

Mark

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2008, 04:45:37 PM »
At the moment the "Action Council" consists of the following people:

Drake Vhett
H_Bomb
RC-1989
RC-1138 [Boss]

Their current task is to come up with some 'guidelines' for the council. Namely I'd like to establish how long Council Members remain on the council and how elections are going to work.

At the moment, I think Council Members should serve for a year, and elections should be general elections by the community with a popular vote deciding the council. I'm of the opinion that no Council Members should ever serve back to back terms unless a full council (five members) cannot be found without a duplicated member. If a vacancy occurs before a year is up, the Council should elect a member to fill the vacant position.

The Council's duties, meantime, are something like the following:
1) Commissioning and collecting Fan/Custom Art to increase the Community Universe
2) Ordering the Community Roster (NOT ordering the members, but organizing and arranging the roster)
3) Arranging the Timeline and Ordering it
4) Commissioning and ordering Fan-Fictions and Stories to increase the Community Universe
5) Over seeing the rotation of the Community Roster through the Fan-Fiction, Stories, and Art to increase the Community Universe

I made a new term up here, let me explain what I mean by "Community Universe". Over at the Wing Commander CIC they have a designated carrier from the universe as the 'official' carrier for the community. We're going to have an 'official division' with player-created characters on it. The idea behind the Community Universe is that we use our fan-fiction and fan-art users to create our own stories around our own community to talk about and discuss around the forums.

My hope is that the members - the people who write the fan-fiction - and some of our extremely skilled fan-art people will jump in here when we have requests of them, and that everyone will get involved in the round-robin community writing project I'd like to start.
Ignorance is a choice. Posting in ignorance is also a choice. Be prepared for the consequences.

Darin Daru'Kasem

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 08:17:20 PM »
Thanks.  If it isn't a word, use Akula's rule and use it again in a sentence to make it official :P . (I'm going to have to use that rule from now on! :D )
Tell me what you want and I'll see about including it.  One thing I definitely want actually is more specialities.  As I said, I'm waiting for the Community Council to decide on what details are wanted exactly, but I will keep what I've done so far going as long as I can (and remember, this is a single afternoons work!).

EDIT: OK , after thinking about it, here is a rough list of what I need to improve on my personal goals for the project, but lack the skills to do them:

--Program Icon.  I could possibly get one done, but I know others here would be much better at it.
--More specialities.  I can think of a few, but I would like for everyone else to contribute their ideas.
--Images.  As I mentioned, I want to be able to let my program create both avatars and signatures tailor made for the custom commandos created in this program.  I lack both the art and programming skills, but the latter I can work on easily.
--More equipment.  Again , I can think of a few more things to include, but would like others to contribute.

For Specialty's, I think "Multi-purpose" and "None" Still thinking of more..... :EDIT:  Here's another one, Ammo packs, Don't know what it would look like though... And Demo Pack, Those are some names, I'll come up with Descriptions later  :D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 08:23:06 PM by Darin Prudiiverd »

A-77 Commander Fordo'Ad

• Commander
  • "Captain Fordo Reporting"
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2008, 12:59:14 AM »
Maybe you could collaborate with RC-1989 for the images? He seems very adaept at image manipulation xD.

igamesonline.net

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2008, 01:16:03 AM »
I think perhaps sabotage, assassination, espionage, and heavy support roles should be added.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2008, 04:57:39 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll try to add them later on today if I get time.

Here's another one, Ammo packs, Don't know what it would look like though... And Demo Pack
Blaster and ant-armour packs are already included as equipment, so I'm not sure how they'll fit into the speciality part exactly, but if you can think of a way then that'll be great.

Maybe you could collaborate with RC-1989 for the images? He seems very adaept at image manipulation xD.
I have seen his work and I agree that it would be nice to have his help, but at the moment I'd rather let someone contact me as this is just a side project for me at the moment plus as I said earlier I don't currently have the skills to implement it yet.  Akula also said said RC-1989 on the community council too so he may be tied up for a bit (you can still contact me though if interested :) ).

EDIT: OK, I've finished the assignment I needed to do and so I've been able to do some more on this.  I've just added the suggestions for specialities, plus one of my own, so grab the new version.  I'm going to startr work on a couple of new things and attempt to have a quick go at some image stuff, mainly for the program logo so I can get rid of the default Delphi one.

EDIT 2:  I've decided to 'borrow' one of the avatars Amy put up on the site until I can create/get my own.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 07:34:23 AM by flyboy424 »

Darin Daru'Kasem

• Commander
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2008, 09:08:34 AM »
No, I meant them as Backpacks, Just Comm packs are sorta dull, also, Tier should be in specialty's "Support" (not heavy, just all around support) and have like a Survival pack. Also, since you have Recconassince(spelling) then you should have a Recon Pack. still thinking of more  :D

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2008, 09:19:08 AM »
OK, I've just added to backpack section:

--ammo pack
--demo pack
--medical pack
--recon pack

I've also added 3 more specialities:

--field medic
--weapon support
--general support

As I'm mainly adding new items to the drop down lists, I'm going to change how the items are entered and have them in a seperate file.  That way you can just download the new file and not the entire program each time.

Darin Daru'Kasem

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2008, 09:27:51 AM »
I'm trying to get it, But When I Download it, then When I click "Run" then No updates....
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 09:34:40 AM by Darin Prudiiverd »

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2008, 09:34:23 AM »
OK, I think I should probably have mentioned I haven't updated the zip yet.  I'm going to wait until I have finished the new update before then, so you should currently be using beta 2.  It won't take too long though, justa couple of loops plus then checking it all, I expect maybe about half an hour max before next release.

Darin Daru'Kasem

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2008, 09:35:49 AM »
Oh.. *slaps head* No wonder........ OK, everything's cleared up now  :D

IC-1989

• Brothers All Archiver
  • Commander
  • Warning! Commando At Work!
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2008, 09:47:37 AM »
If you need someone to edit or provide images just ask me. I've got alot of repcom images you haven't seen before...

About the Fanfiction part: I think we start with the period of 10 BBG to 0 BBG or geonosis Basically this should be an introduction of your squad. And we should have a limit of text (otherwise we're getting a book of geonosis here).

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2008, 09:53:13 AM »
Oh.. *slaps head* No wonder........ OK, everything's cleared up now  :D
You should probably slap my head for not actually saying clearly before.  Just so you know, the next update may be a little delayed as I'm having some minor issues reading the file.

EDIT: OK, I've caught the bug and have got rid of it now.  Just need to replicate my code to populate the other drop down lists and then I'll be ready....

If you need someone to edit or provide images just ask me. I've got alot of repcom images you haven't seen before...
Once I've done my update, I'll have a little think about what I want exactly.  The main thing I guess is a set of images that could be layered and then flattened (like in photoshop) to create the avatars and sigs.

About the Fanfiction part: I think we start with the period of 10 BBG to 0 BBG or geonosis Basically this should be an introduction of your squad. And we should have a limit of text (otherwise we're getting a book of geonosis here).
Sounds good.  It should be interesting to read everything that everyones squads get into during training.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 10:07:49 AM by flyboy424 »

IC-1989

• Brothers All Archiver
  • Commander
  • Warning! Commando At Work!
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2008, 10:09:30 AM »
Once I've done my update, I'll have a little think about what I want exactly.  The main thing I guess is a set of images that could be layered and then flattened (like in photoshop) to create the avatars and sigs.
Sounds good.  It should be interesting to read everything that everyones squads get into during training.

Just say what I need to make.... and about fanfics: The council should provide info about commando training or the battle of geo.

I also believe this council / community needs a logo so I'm making some concepts of it now....

Darin Daru'Kasem

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2008, 10:12:38 AM »

You should probably slap my head for not actually saying clearly before.  Just so you know, the next update may be a little delayed as I'm having some minor issues reading the file.

I know it isn't my place, But in the RPG part, We should make it more realistic than other RPG's, Starting when you are a Young boy and in your training.

You should probably slap my head for not actually saying clearly before. 

OK. *slaps Flyboys head* I'll get around to Posting some Rep Comm Pics Later today, *Mutters* "Stupid Downloading time.."

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2008, 10:23:18 AM »
OK, the next release is ready.  This will be my last major update unitl image manipulation is implemented, and as such this is now version 1 of the program.