Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic  (Read 136979 times)

Anecdote

• Major
  • Molotov over here!
Star Wars: The Old Republic
« on: October 22, 2008, 12:38:20 AM »
SO HAVE YOU GUYS HEARD ABOUT THIS YET?!

Yeah, I'm excited. I've been waiting for-kriffing-ever for this rumor to be confirmed officially.

I'm not too happy with the graphics and general lack-of-information, however I keep in mind that this is all Pre-Alpha stage, and BioWare has a looooong way to go as far as development goes. Still, it looks promising.

What do you guys think?

Star Wars: The Old Republic
1up BlogLive Full Transcript
Interview with BioWare's Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk
Star Wars MMO Lead Writer Talks Story Details

Edit:: On an unrelated note, my account name is Anecdote on the TOR forums.
If any of you sign up, feel free to PM and add me to friends.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 03:33:32 AM by Anecdote »
"Blame for error always lies with those who act; those who do nothing, what do they have to be wrong about?"

Cassus

• Lieutenant
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 03:38:40 AM »
O...M...G...

This sounds absolutely amazing!!  Whoa, it's MMORPG.  It...

How can you drop this on someone so callously, Anecdote?!  You need to build up to this stuff.  Tell me to sit in a chair.  Tell me to have a nice meal.

And BioWare.  Thank goodness it's BioWare.  I love you BioWare, my friends to the North.  This is incredible news.  Who's playing?  I say right now that we start our own Mandalorian clan in the game.  *Signs up for newsletter*

Thank you, Anecdote, thank you.

But I ask you, is this the third KOTOR isntallment?!  It seems more like an independent game purely set in the same era.  Hmmm, I need to explore the site more.  Such awesome news.  Damn you, Lucas, you're getting even more of my money...

Anecdote

• Major
  • Molotov over here!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 04:06:45 AM »
How can you drop this on someone so callously, Anecdote?!  You need to build up to this stuff.  Tell me to sit in a chair.  Tell me to have a nice meal.
It is because I love, good sir.

Also, the interview link: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starwarstheoldrepublic/video/6199708

Right now it seems like chances for a non-mmo kotor looks dashed. Some fans back on livejournal are distraught and generally in an uproar with rage and disappointment.

I guess I just have an open mind? I really enjoy playing MMOs in general, so I'm looking forward to this all the same. But I think we may have a year or two of waiting till we see a hint of beta testing.
"Blame for error always lies with those who act; those who do nothing, what do they have to be wrong about?"

Cassus

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 04:32:47 AM »
Thank you for the interview link, it was enlightening.

I'm disappointed myself that there is no KOTOR3.  I mean, I feel like that story, specifically Revan's story, needs to continue and eventually be completed.  But I mean, there will always be mediums in which that can be explored.  Such as a novel or some sort.

I've played my fair share of MMOs, some obscure and others well known, and I've always found them to be temporary enjoyments.  I've always lost interested in grinding for levels and, kinda like the interview said, the aimlessness of doing quests.  That's why I've passed on just about every MMO that's been slid my way, they're addictive for a brief period of time and then they fizzle out.  But KOTOR is...well, it's KOTOR.  One of the first pieces of Star Wars fiction I ever read was the Tales of the Jedi comic books.  Then KOTOR is, in my opinion, the greatest video game ever created.  Ever.  I also love the Darth Bane novels, even though they're set much later than KOTOR, but I'm pretty sure that's roughly around the same period the game's taking place?  I got side-tracked reading the site when I got to the forums, so I haven't gotten the story details exact yet.

Either way, KOTOR3 or not, I'm excited for this.  But I wonder...in the Imperial Commando: 501st thread, someone posted awesome info about book release dates.  There was a book on there that was a novel written entirely about Knights of the Old Republic era Jedi or something.  Who wants to bet that's a promotional tactic right there?  It'll give us, at the least, an idea of when we could possibly be expecting this.

But, yeah, over at the game's forums, I registered as "Cassus".  If anyone joins, totally PM me or put me on your friends list or something.  Like I said, a Mandalorian clan is so totally going through my mind now.  I can't see Mandalorian not being a selectable class or something 'cause, I mean, we're talking about Mandalorians here.  I'd forfeit the Force in order to get myself custom beskar'gam.

EDIT: For my own peace of mind, I went and figured out the timeline.

The game seems to start right at the end of the Great War, which takes place approximately 400 years after KOTOR2.  These Sith are seemingly the very same Sith that Revan went into the Outer Regions to "take care of".  But these Sith are not the same Sith that Darth Bane is apart of.  He's around for the tail end of the New Sith War, which apparently a century long conflict.  The New Sith War takes place approximately a thousand years after the Great War.  Confused yet?

I'm pretty sure all of that is accurate, if it's not, someone tell me.  And yes, I used Wookiepedia.  Some people may not consider that a reliable source, but when it comes to Star Wars, I don't see the problem.  I'm not writing an academic paper, I'm talking about a fictional universe.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 04:55:34 AM by Cassus »

Mark

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 12:59:51 PM »
I'm disappointed myself that there is no KOTOR3.  I mean, I feel like that story, specifically Revan's story, needs to continue and eventually be completed.  But I mean, there will always be mediums in which that can be explored.  Such as a novel or some sort.

This is an odd request. If there was a KOTOR3 (And I disagree entirely that this suggest in anyway that their won't be. For one thing, KOTOR Games tend to cover one or two years of the timeline, and there's far more then that amount of time in the gap between the end of KOTOR II and the start of TOR) but regardless, if there was a KOTOR 3, it would likely not deal with Reven and the Exile at all. It would likely give you a whole new set of party members with some quick cameo appearances from those we've come to expect (Probably Carth in some kind of Republic Leadership role, Bao-Duir because his future was not predicted at the end of II, and Mical because he's leading the new Council). Your far more right to expect some kind of novel instead, but I doubt even though the full story of Revan and the Exile's journeys in the outer rim will ever be revealed.

I've played my fair share of MMOs, some obscure and others well known, and I've always found them to be temporary enjoyments.  I've always lost interested in grinding for levels and, kinda like the interview said, the aimlessness of doing quests.  That's why I've passed on just about every MMO that's been slid my way, they're addictive for a brief period of time and then they fizzle out.  But KOTOR is...well, it's KOTOR.  One of the first pieces of Star Wars fiction I ever read was the Tales of the Jedi comic books.  Then KOTOR is, in my opinion, the greatest video game ever created.  Ever.  I also love the Darth Bane novels, even though they're set much later than KOTOR, but I'm pretty sure that's roughly around the same period the game's taking place?  I got side-tracked reading the site when I got to the forums, so I haven't gotten the story details exact yet.

There are two MMO's I would suggest you try. And then I'm going explain why I bother to mention them here. The first is called Guild Wars. Guild Wars removed the level grind by limiting players to level 20, and only giving them eight skills. What makes this so interesting is that in Guild Wars you reach level 20 by about 1/3 of the way through the game - and since it's the first 1/3, it's the easiest 1/3. There is no real level grinding after that. Likewise, with no level grinding, to finish the rest of the game in one piece, you have to figure out how to constantly reinvent your character as you reach new regions, new enemies, and new challenges just to stay competitive with the rest of the world.

The second one I'm going to list is Lord of the Rings online. This game was something awesome in the level of things that there are to do in the game. It's shocking really. Most MMO's are designed to give you several series of quests to work on, and only by completing EVERY LAST SINGLE ONE OF THEM can you possibly hope to reach the impossible level 50 maximum. This requires a time commitment that most people are unwilling to give, understandably, and a life style that 'normal' people can't really sustain, and this is the kind of game where you get lost in the level grind. LOTRO does NOT do that. I've only completed about half of the quests I've accepted, and I'm already level 30. And I've only been playing for a few weeks. The best part is, the more I play the game the more I get drawn into the universe because it's so deep there's not just enemies to fight and items to craft  - some spontaneous quests have you doing nothing more then looking for a collection of ruins, or tracking down the descendant of a farmer whose plot of land was left to him without his knowing it. The sheer variety in things to do in the game boggles the mind - and the way they connected it al together overwhelms me.

Now, I'm listing this here because I hope that TOR will follow two of these fine examples - having a game like WOW where you can earn 40 talents and skills and then proceed to run around and remember them all is well and good, but it's for more exciting to have to choose which skills you're going to carry into battle with you to build into a winning combination. Additionally, the low level max but high-level enemies makes for a much more challenging and tactical game, where you actually have to think about how you're going to aide your party to defeat a group of enemies, rather then the 'you tank we DPS' strategy so common to other whack-and-slash mmo's.

In the meantime, the size of the universe in Star Wars compared to the size of the universe in LOTRO is inconceivable. LOTOR basically has one continent for you to explore (And the game doesn't even have all that, yet). Star Wars has billions of systems, each with one or MORE continents to explore. You could literally go on forever expanding the game and never reach the maximum threshold for the Star Wars universe. In fact, if they released the game with a hundred planets, it STILL wouldn't cover what's already known about the Star Wars universe. They could release a hundred planets a year for ten years and come close to exploring every known and listed planet in the Star Wars universe - but by then the Star Wars universe would have grown so much there would be still MORE to explore.

So I'm not really worried about things like level grind, or boring repetitive quests. This is STAR WARS we're talking about here. There's alot more to being a part of the Star Wars galaxy then just being the best warrior, or getting the best gear. I could spend hours in SWG just wandering around LOOKING at things. I'm sure TOR isn't going to be any differant.

Somethings I'm hoping to see:
-Non Linear Quests (Single quests broken out of a quest list. It's very hard to find someone in LOTRO to help you whose at the same quest in a quest tree as you)
-Spontaneous Quests (Quests that start up when examining an object or discovering a new area)
-Seemless transitions (LOTRO does this, you move from region to region with no load time, SWG did this VERY badly).
-Faction Choice at character creation (SWG did this badly, you had to find the recruiter and then perform some quests before you could join the faction)

EDIT: For my own peace of mind, I went and figured out the timeline.

The game seems to start right at the end of the Great War, which takes place approximately 400 years after KOTOR2.  These Sith are seemingly the very same Sith that Revan went into the Outer Regions to "take care of".  But these Sith are not the same Sith that Darth Bane is apart of.  He's around for the tail end of the New Sith War, which apparently a century long conflict.  The New Sith War takes place approximately a thousand years after the Great War.  Confused yet?

A more exact number is about 451 Years. KOTOR II ends at 3951 in the timeline, this game alleges to take place 'around' 3500.

The Great Sith War actually takes place in 3996, everything you see in KOTOR and KOTOR II has taken place after that (between 3996 and 3951). So this game is actually about 500 years after the Great Sith War.  The New Sith War is not something I have anything about in my sources, but my recommendations about where to find out more is below.

I'm pretty sure all of that is accurate, if it's not, someone tell me.  And yes, I used Wookiepedia.  Some people may not consider that a reliable source, but when it comes to Star Wars, I don't see the problem.  I'm not writing an academic paper, I'm talking about a fictional universe.

It's close. But not close enough for me. Here's the problem with Wookieepedia (You spelled Wookiee wrong, by the way). Wookieepedia users don't consider the Star Wars WOTC (Wizards of the Coast) sourcebooks to be accurate sources of information except when they want them to be. Look at the page for any source book. All it does is list the items it contains and links back to the pages for those items already in the pedia. If the item isn't in the pedia, the page is almost never created. Worse, because the Sourcebooks sometimes provide actual names for things Wookieepedia users already named themselves, sometimes the new material from the sourcebooks links to dead pages - when there is a real page for the item that's been named something different because of the crazy wookieepedia users who don't want to admit that the official name for things trumps their name for things.

In the latest SW Sourcebook to hit the market (KOTOR one, in fact) there is a dedicated timeline from 4000 BBY to 3950 BBY that covers everything from the TOJ sourcebook to the TOJ comics to both KOTOR Games and ties it all together. But you won't find any of those dates match up with what's on Wookieepedia, and don't even BOTHER trying to change them.

Unfortunately for Wookieepedia this is not to their benefit - everyone has confirmed that the WOTC books present accurate source information and have free reign to add to the Star Wars universe, so their refusal to accept the material produced by WOTC means that they are rejecting officially licensed sources, and thus, undermining their own claim as an accurate pedia storing Star Wars information.

Besides that, I've personally edited pages on Wookieepedia to make them say stupidly ridiculous things, and hardly any of them have been corrected because that's what it is - a pedia that anyone can edit to say stupid things.
Ignorance is a choice. Posting in ignorance is also a choice. Be prepared for the consequences.

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 04:03:42 PM »
Wowthatlookssocoolitmakesmedizzy. Yeah we need to make a clan. (Lighten up, Akula!)
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

Mark

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 04:29:32 PM »
(Lighten up, Akula!)

I'm very unhappy with the Star Wars community willingness to make things like the silly Gun Gun building game canon but their inability to embrace the Star Wars Role-playing game as official sources. Wookieepedia is the worst offender - they're very selective in picking and choosing which sources they're going to allow to influence their material.

And I'm sorry, but that's just wrong. You can't have an encyclopedia based on only the sources you choose - it's not an encyclopedia anymore. It's a universe that you've re-defined and molded to shape into your will.

That being said, some thing's wrong with the SWTOR website if it takes place '300 years' post KOTOR I, because that doesn't jive with the new official timeline.
Ignorance is a choice. Posting in ignorance is also a choice. Be prepared for the consequences.

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 05:29:36 PM »
I'm actually dissapointed that they're making it resemble the story of the movies era. If you've read and looked at the pictures and info, it's almost the same story. The republic troopers look too much like clone troopers in my opinion, and the sith being led by another Emperor? Come on...

I am happy that there's another kotor based thing though.

BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips

Sancon Fett

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 05:38:52 PM »
same, still the clones do look the same :dead:
It was better to fight than never to have fought at all.

Mark

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 06:17:27 PM »
I'm actually dissapointed that they're making it resemble the story of the movies era. If you've read and looked at the pictures and info, it's almost the same story. The republic troopers look too much like clone troopers in my opinion, and the sith being led by another Emperor? Come on...

Concur about the Republic Troopers. I hope this isn't one of those stupid games where to be combat capable you have to wear ridiculous looking suits of increasingly heavy armor that hide all the features they programmed into the character creator.

They could either remove the character creator, or the massive armor suits that cover up all your carefully calculated features. Either way, they'd save alot of time in development.

I AM excited about the 'looming threat' seen, though. Without there being actual war there are all kinds of advantages to being able to go anywhere and do anything - while at the same time giving you nice options for engaging in small-scale military combat at will without destroying the story.

Sancon Fett

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 06:47:20 PM »
Trust me it isant.
It was better to fight than never to have fought at all.

Anecdote

• Major
  • Molotov over here!
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=401

This is the 1up LiveBlog's FULL TRANSCRIPT, as made available by one of the forum members.

I can copy paste if you guys are too lazy to search yourself. :P But this is basically to assuage your fears, Akula.

I hope this isn't one of those stupid games where to be combat capable you have to wear ridiculous looking suits of increasingly heavy armor that hide all the features they programmed into the character creator.

They could either remove the character creator, or the massive armor suits that cover up all your carefully calculated features. Either way, they'd save alot of time in development.

Quote: "3:59 Scooter: this isn't a game about giving you bigger shoulder pads as you level"

Mark

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 06:57:53 PM »
http://swtor.com/media/screens/trooper-opens-fire

<- Case in point.

Compare that to Carth's outfit in KOTOR 1 or Atton's Ribbed Jacket in KOTOR 2, both of which functioned as well as any armor did, and yet didn't cover up all their important features.

Anecdote

• Major
  • Molotov over here!
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 07:08:58 PM »
But some of the best heavy armor in the game covered your face, if I remember correctly. (Of course, I might be getting confused)
However, I'm also assuming that the trooper is geared towards heavier armor than the average class, so I don't think it's too out-there to assume they'd wear helmets too. Especially if they're a spec ops or commando type.

Mark

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 07:17:28 PM »
But some of the best heavy armor in the game covered your face, if I remember correctly. (Of course, I might be getting confused)
However, I'm also assuming that the trooper is geared towards heavier armor than the average class, so I don't think it's too out-there to assume they'd wear helmets too. Especially if they're a spec ops or commando type.

I hope you're talking about SWG and not KOTOR I and II because only the Mandalorian Armor in KOTOR I and II covered peoples heads, and in KOTOR I there was only one suit of it and you only got it at the very end.

'best heavy armor' is something of a misnomer anyway. If your Dexterity is +10 and your armor gives a +8 defense bonus, it's far more worthwhile to use your dexterity then your armor defense. And of course the only way to do this is with armor that doesn't negate your dexterity with a penalty (most have a max dexterity limit). In that sense, the 'best armor' in the game are the Jedi Robes, which give a max defense bonus of +8 but NEVER restrict your dexterity, allowing you to max out your dexterity stat to gain insanely high amounts of defense.

Interestingly, this is all usually considered 'light' armor and never restricts peoples faces in the game, yet still provides the most active benefit to defense. Interesting, isn't it?

(Trust me on this - KOTOR is loosely based on the Saga D20 rules, and I've been a D20 player for longer then most people have been on the internet. I know all the ins and outs about stacking characters defenses, and the penalties of wearing heavy armor).

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 08:11:34 PM »
The clone troopers didn't come along until, like 300 years later. To have a suit of armor that isalmost identical in features and stuff that early before it was invente just seems too...

WRONG

I think that if they want to make some cool suit of armor for the republic, they should base it more off of the Senate Royal Guard-type armor.http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/c/ca/Senate_guard_121.jpg

Or something roman looking.

And to clarify my frustration with the Republics' armor more clearly:

The original clone trooper armor was designed off of armor used by Mandalorian warriors. (Obviously)
Then the KotOR series came along and gave the sith troopers similar armor, but at least it was unique enough not to notice.
And then SWtOR comes and gives the republic basically clone trooper armor. And then we never see it between kotor era and movie era.

It's just so frustrating!

BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips

Mark

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 08:32:46 PM »
It's just so frustrating!

You know what's more frustrating? Since the Sith 'Empire' is doing all these things, we know have an Emperor AND Imperial Forces. And since they hold key-Republic worlds ceded in the Truce of Coruscant, we also have Rebels fighting them.

How cheesy can you get?

I think that if they want to make some cool suit of armor for the republic, they should base it more off of the Senate Royal Guard-type armor.http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/c/ca/Senate_guard_121.jpg
Or something roman looking.

I find this statement interesting mostly because I think the Senate Guard stuff is ALREADY Roman Looking. I liked the direction the Republic Armor was taking in KOTOR I and II, with the orange/red/black combo and the helmet that tied into the Alderaan troops helmets in Star Wars. Sort of a lighter-but-functional design that didn't seem so pointless.

I agree that a more Roman Direction could be interesting as long as they don't get too flowly. Some of the stuff in SWG was atrocious, like the "Hats of Aiming" that were these big conical shaped hats with ribbons on them. That's something a Disney Princess wears, not something a Special Forces Trooper for the Galactic Republic wears.

And to clarify my frustration with the Republics' armor more clearly:

The original clone trooper armor was designed off of armor used by Mandalorian warriors. (Obviously)
Then the KotOR series came along and gave the sith troopers similar armor, but at least it was unique enough not to notice.
And then SWtOR comes and gives the republic basically clone trooper armor. And then we never see it between kotor era and movie era.

I disagree with some of this. I don't think the Sith troopers looked anything like the Mandalorians. And if you look at some of the armor in the KOTOR and KOTOR II games it's fairly decent looking without lending styles in any particular direction.

I do agree about the TOR stuff looking TO much like the Clone Armor. I think just opening up the helmets would go far - a KOTOR II style helmet and armor color with a SWTOR body armor set would look pretty compelling, but that's just me.

I do understand the style direction here in associating the armor with Mandalorians. Part of the story is the development of Republic Special Forces, and the best mercenaries/special forces in the galaxy at the time are Mandalorians - so why not try to emulate them? They're obviously doing something that works since they nearly brought the Republic to it's knees.

RC-1994 Dr. Talon Ka'majyci

• Lieutenant
  • Sometimes, I dream about Cheese.
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 10:14:49 PM »
I have been looking everywhere for info on this game!

Anecdote

• Major
  • Molotov over here!
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 10:32:47 PM »
I hope you're talking about SWG and not KOTOR I and II because only the Mandalorian Armor in KOTOR I and II covered peoples heads, and in KOTOR I there was only one suit of it and you only got it at the very end.

'best heavy armor' is something of a misnomer anyway. If your Dexterity is +10 and your armor gives a +8 defense bonus, it's far more worthwhile to use your dexterity then your armor defense. And of course the only way to do this is with armor that doesn't negate your dexterity with a penalty (most have a max dexterity limit). In that sense, the 'best armor' in the game are the Jedi Robes, which give a max defense bonus of +8 but NEVER restrict your dexterity, allowing you to max out your dexterity stat to gain insanely high amounts of defense.

Interestingly, this is all usually considered 'light' armor and never restricts peoples faces in the game, yet still provides the most active benefit to defense. Interesting, isn't it?

(Trust me on this - KOTOR is loosely based on the Saga D20 rules, and I've been a D20 player for longer then most people have been on the internet. I know all the ins and outs about stacking characters defenses, and the penalties of wearing heavy armor).
You have schooled me on the ways, wise Akula.  :blush:

I have been looking everywhere for info on this game!
You're welcome.  :P

Sooo, some more information you all may find interesting.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=1733
which links to- http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1033

Basically an interview with the Lead Writer on story details and crafting.

Mark

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 12:53:15 AM »
You have schooled me on the ways, wise Akula.  :blush:

You should see some of the crap players pull at my table. They are experts at working the rules system to their advantage. If they can stack a stat, they WILL stack a stat. If they can't stack a Stat, they'll figure out a WAY to stack the stat. It's scary.

Of course, it's all my fault. We're running a KOTOR Era campaign (shockingly similar to the backstory for the TOR game) and my GM put down some harsh restrictions on what kind of characters we were allowed to create. I wanted to create a Jet Pack sniper (I've been playing Old Republic Special Forces since before the MMO was in development) based on the Jump-Jet Troopers of the Old Republic, and he had already told me no...so I went home and drew up my character sheet anyway. And when we came back to the table he grudgingly accepted it, and even helped me sort out my equipment (which is a pain in the shebs, by the way. When you can only carry 49 kilos and 30 of it is your jetpack, you start running out of options really fast).

My chief complaint is that there is NO armor that's actually useful in the Star Wars D20 game. Where KOTOR gave Jedi Robes and some light armor classes that didn't restrict dexterity, there is NOTHING like that anywhere in the Saga edition. Everything you can buy places all kinds of crazy restrictions on you - and because of the way the rules work you can either add your class or your armor bonus to defense. When the highest armor bonus is only a +8, it stops making sense for a level 9 character to use Armor.

Granted there are some talents that adjust this for you so you can get up to I think half of the armor bonus in ADDITION to your class level, but still you're spending 7 or 8 thousand credits for HALF a defense bonus, and it STILL restricts your dexterity.

Plus, the enter system of combat is geared towards building GREAT melee characters - the only problem with this is that every single ranged weapon in the gaming system deals WAY more damage then the melee weapons. My GM has serious issues with this because I can blow away half an opponents hit points before they get close enough to take a swing at me, then with my Jetpack flit off into the air to avoid getting shot at. But I have to do that - because as mentioned before, my defense and armor SUCK because of the rules of the game.

So my hope here is that they'll give me some additional options to the armor, unlike SWG which basically required you to have an ugly and heavy suit of armor to be competitive despite the contrast that gives to the true feeling of Star Wars.

(Let me ask you this: First, how many 'main' characters do you actually see wearing armor in any of the movies? The answer is THREE. Han Solo and Luke Skywalker do it as a disguise, and Darth Vader - but that's really more of his look so it hardly counts. So in six movies, two people wear armor. Second, how long do they wear it for? The answer is: NOT LONG. As soon as the jig is up, they ditch the armor. Do they don it again when being dispatched to an Imperial Garrisoned planet to blow up a shield generator? Nope. Does Obi-Wan and Anakin done it to lead their troops into battle? [Side Note: Not in the movies, but the TV shows are a whole different beast]. No. So why does SWG require you to wear huge amounts of armor to survive battle? Hopefully, TOR doesn't make the same mistake.)

(Another side note, I should make a thread to discuss my RP exploits, because some of them are QUITE humorous.)