Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic  (Read 115487 times)

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2008, 01:36:12 AM »
So I checked around. Mainly looking at all the different avatars and I made up a list of all the different species that were featured. Even though its just concept art I'm happy that some of these are at least being considered to be put in the game.

Kaleesh
Mon Calamari
Kel Dor
Geonosian
Cathar
Sullustan
Rodian
Nautolaun
Ortolan
Togruta
Dashade
Ithorian
Twi'lek

I have to admit that i was surprised to see the Kaleesh in there. They're a relatively new species and were only created for Star Wars just a while ago. I'm happy its there though, who wouldn't want to see General Grievous's species in action?

They better have Duros in there. Since they're putting such an influence on NPC companion characters in the game, I've wanted nothing more than a Duros copilot.

BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips&BaconStrips

Anecdote

• Major
  • Molotov over here!
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2008, 02:35:33 AM »
We'll just have to wait and see, but I am also interested in the wide range of races they have concept art of. :D
Personally I'd just like to play as something different too. But... I suppose I'm more interested in keeping my expectations set a little on the low side so no matter what they release I'll love it.

That being said, I've always liked my scoundrel companions in the KotOR games. I guess I'm just a sucker for the bad boys.  :P
"Blame for error always lies with those who act; those who do nothing, what do they have to be wrong about?"

Mark

• Commander
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2008, 04:09:44 AM »
I want to be able to use a blaster rifle without being penalized for it. That's all I care about.

The concept art for the blaster pistols is inspiring, but Bioware has a bad track record in this department. (Try playing the KOTOR games with your main character as a SOLDIER and then give him a ranged weapon - even with all the feats - and let me know how you fare. *disgusted* Let's hope they fix that in TOR.)
Ignorance is a choice. Posting in ignorance is also a choice. Be prepared for the consequences.

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2008, 11:52:08 AM »
I just hope they don't make the mistakes of earlier MMo's, like Star Wars galaxies. In Galaxies you can be a Commando but not really learn any useful melee combat. And you can be a Baounty Hunter but not learn how to use grenades effectively.

I don't think they should restrict any weapon to any one or two classes ('cept lightsabers). I think you should be able to learn different skills for the weapon through expierence or learning from a teacher, or master. Like in TSL when you learned Echani from the Handmaiden.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
  • Lock S-Foils in attack position.
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2008, 06:45:15 PM »
Try playing the KOTOR games with your main character as a SOLDIER and then give him a ranged weapon - even with all the feats - and let me know how you fare. *disgusted* Let's hope they fix that in TOR.
I know exactly what you mean.  In KotOR I played as a soldier class and I ended up giving everyone in my party (except the droids) melee weapons simply because it was the best way of surviving.  This was hard for me at first as I'm generally best with long-range combat and so you can probably imagine my frustration at being forced to use melee weapons.

I'm not sure yet if I'm going to play the Old Republic when it's released, but the fact there is (possibly) a Kel Dor species has got my interest (ever since playing Jedi Academy I seem to have fallen in love with that species).  I think the only thing at the moment that would really get me playing is swoop racing.  I loved that in KotOR (I ended up trying to get sector champion on each world whenever I played).
Clone Pilot armour project: helmet, chest - pepped.
RC helmet: done.

Mark

• Commander
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2008, 01:36:53 AM »
I know exactly what you mean.  In KotOR I played as a soldier class and I ended up giving everyone in my party (except the droids) melee weapons simply because it was the best way of surviving.  This was hard for me at first as I'm generally best with long-range combat and so you can probably imagine my frustration at being forced to use melee weapons.

Like I told my friend who once threatened me with his real metal sword:

"You stand on one side of the room with your sword. I'll stand on the other side of the room with my Longbow. We'll see which one of us dies first."

Blaster combat JUST MAKES SENSE.  I'm glad someone else agreed with me and recognized the inherently failure of the Soldier Class to provide Soldiers with the ability to shoot guns. Here's my question: How do they manage to fire starship weapons? In fact, given the games reliance on vibro and lightsaber weapons, why aren't all starships equipped with similar weapons for fighting each other? I'm sorry, but it just makes sense in the KOTOR scheme of things.

Has anyone else seen the trailer released today? I liked parts of it. I didn't like the dozens and dozens of scenes with lightsabers, but the one below caught my attention.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ignorance is a choice. Posting in ignorance is also a choice. Be prepared for the consequences.

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
  • Lock S-Foils in attack position.
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2008, 05:55:51 AM »
Blaster combat JUST MAKES SENSE.  I'm glad someone else agreed with me and recognized the inherently failure of the Soldier Class to provide Soldiers with the ability to shoot guns. Here's my question: How do they manage to fire starship weapons? In fact, given the games reliance on vibro and lightsaber weapons, why aren't all starships equipped with similar weapons for fighting each other? I'm sorry, but it just makes sense in the KOTOR scheme of things.
All you've done there is put images of giant transformer spaceships battling with melee weapons above a planet.

Has anyone else seen the trailer released today? I liked parts of it. I didn't like the dozens and dozens of scenes with lightsabers, but the one below caught my attention.
I've just watched it and yeah, I was too quite annoyed about the amount of lightsabers in there.  Still, let's just hope when they say they're 'putting in something for everyone, no matter your gaming style' that means they're working on proper blaster combat.  But, I'm at least happy that Kel Dor is in there so if I do decide to play, that's my species chosen. :)
Clone Pilot armour project: helmet, chest - pepped.
RC helmet: done.

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2008, 01:40:47 PM »
I'm happy that there is at least some well-developed non-jedi melee combat.

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2008, 11:57:19 PM »
me too, and the trailer looked good. However, I agree with this particular Ctl+Alt+Del:  http://www.cad-comic.com/sillies.php?d=20081212
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2008, 12:14:28 AM »
It's kinda like how in the first stage of Fabel you have Micky-Mouse hands.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2008, 12:52:08 AM »
Hmmm... I'm debating what characters I should play as for the game.

1) A Kaleesh Sith
2) A Human Mandalorian

Mark

• Commander
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2008, 12:58:24 AM »
I'm happy that there is at least some well-developed non-jedi melee combat.

Like I said earlier....

You stand on one side of the battlefield with your Vibrosword, I'll wait over here behind cover with my sniper rifle, and we'll see who kills each other first, kk?

CT-1199 Oronk

• The Dude
  • Commander
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2008, 01:00:40 AM »
Like I said earlier....

You stand on one side of the battlefield with your Vibrosword, I'll wait over here behind cover with my sniper rifle, and we'll see who kills each other first, kk?
Mark please remind me to never get on your bad side kk??
BUY GUNS A **** LOAD OF GUNS!

"All Mercs know the jambo!" (Chris Tanto)

H-BOMB

• Party
  • Commander
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2008, 01:06:28 AM »
Like I said earlier....

But then my companion character sneaks up behind you and stabs a kouhoun poison-tipped knif-thing into your back and you die slowly and seizurely-ish :P.

Bet you didn't see that coming huh?

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2008, 02:04:44 PM »
Like I said earlier....

Haha! That's my favorite style of play! But I try to have a weapon for every range short of inter-continental
It's Indiana Vlet!

packey38

• Sergeant
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2008, 11:16:38 PM »
i can't wait for this game.  you think it will be on 360?
"Wake me...when you need me" - Spartan 117 "John"

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
It won't. It's a MMORPG.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

packey38

• Sergeant
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2008, 11:59:36 PM »
i know but its still possible... very unlikely
"Wake me...when you need me" - Spartan 117 "John"

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2008, 07:25:15 PM »
No it's not. A MMORPG requires an online function. Microsoft doesn't make games that require you to have X-Box live and Sony doesn't make you use thier online sysetm either.

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2008, 07:40:48 PM »
Yes, Microsoft does make those games. Shadowrun was live only.
It's Indiana Vlet!