Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic  (Read 115814 times)

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
« Reply #760 on: October 04, 2012, 10:43:32 PM »
I still need a better graphics card to play, sadly, but the moment I get one, I'm getting it.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #761 on: October 05, 2012, 02:11:25 AM »
Canderous Ordo
Empire- Vlethansen, Theronbrae

Corellian Run
Republic- Garendreish, Alvariskrein
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #762 on: October 05, 2012, 10:38:49 PM »
The Ebon Hawk
Republic - Backblast, Starson, Dankin
Empire - Chernan, Tran'thar, Cydus

I have characters on other server, but for the time being I only play these ones because this is the only server I have a legacy on.

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.

Incognito

• Private
« Reply #763 on: October 07, 2012, 11:59:21 AM »
I'm very interested in this now that I will be getting a decent PC sometime soon.

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #764 on: October 22, 2012, 07:07:19 PM »
Hey, over on Ebon Hawk, I'm involved in two guilds: Republic's Finest, for troopers and smugglers, and Mandalore's Finest, for Mandalorians (obviously). I am actually Guildmaster of the Mandalorian one - if any of you play these classes on Ebon Hawk, we should join up.  8)

RIP: O'Niner, Droidbait, Nub, Cutup, Hevy, and Echo, the members of the Rishi Moon watch team. May Fives live on.

Ky'ram Parjai'Kote

• Disgruntled MMORPG
  • Commander
  • Hates Bioware officially.
« Reply #765 on: November 16, 2012, 01:36:36 PM »
Not to necropost, but this game just went Free-to-play, with certain restrictions. Mainly flashpoints and stuff. But to coincide with the update, they released a new zone where you can get a new companion: HK-51.

Now, as a level 14 Smuggler, I appreciate being able to get farther than 15. Fun fun fun...
Lists of games I play:
-- Star Trek Online
-- KOTOR (1 and 2)
-- SWTOR
-- Terraria
-- TF2
-- Magicka
-- Left 4 Dead 2
-- Garry's Mod
And nearly any other F2P game on this planet.

Vlet Hansen

• Gotabor
  • Commander
  • Ni Cuy
« Reply #766 on: November 16, 2012, 02:49:34 PM »
FINALLY finished my BH story... turns out those Supreme Guards are really easy if you just interrupt them everytime they try to heal...
It's Indiana Vlet!
Stealing text walls everywhere!

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #767 on: November 16, 2012, 07:57:04 PM »
FINALLY finished my BH story... turns out those Supreme Guards are really easy if you just interrupt them everytime they try to heal...

Thanks for the heads-up; I'm working on my BH right now.  :D

Ky'ram Parjai'Kote

• Disgruntled MMORPG
  • Commander
« Reply #768 on: November 17, 2012, 12:49:24 AM »
Le sigh. I suppose this should be a spoiler / very tired whining rant rave thing.

I admit, I'm free-to-play. I'm addicted to the system. One thing I've loved about other MMOs, mainly Star Trek Online, because I've spent nearly $250 on it, is that under their free-to-play system, you pay for cosmetic stuff like uniforms and XP boosts and stuff. Two-hundred fifty dollars of that. And I can say it is well worth it. I can play the base game, get to max level, for free, just like a subscriber. The only difference between us is that he supports the game a month at a time, I choose to do it in purchases I deem necessary.

Now, we move to Star Wars: The Old Republic. I looked forward to F2P, with great earnest. "Yes! I can get past level 15!" I reassured myself. Rest assured, I still can, but let's look at the pros and cons.

PROS:
-- It's free! (("That's all you need", the community will say and has said.))

CONS:
-- You can't have a speeder until you're level 25. ((That's...outrageous. I got a speeder at level 10 under the trial, and they took it from me yesterday when it went live. Frak.))
-- You can't unify your colors. ((What limited character customization there is, which between that, story, and non-clunky controls, is all I'm satisfied with in an MMORPG, is now held back by the fact that YOU CAN'T MAKE YOUR CHARACTER LOOK GOOD. That's dumb.))
-- You CAN'T EVEN SPRINT ANYMORE! ((That's flipping unbelievable! Your one real mode of transportation besides speeders, and THAT'S taken away from you?! I'm beginning to think of cuss words to describe my feelings...))
-- No sending mail, chat on Origin Worlds only, you can't equip purple items without paying ... ((stupid, idiotic, downright unbelievable.))

BOTTOM LINE:
I hate the update. I really do. I think it's a miserable failure, and the only thing keeping me interested in possibly buying a subscription is the story. But since I can't do osik to advance the story as a F2P, I see no need in throwing money at Bioware, expecting them to make my dreams come true.

BOTTOM BOTTOM LINE:
I had high hopes for this. But Bioware failed. And they failed very badly.

Pardon the rant, but this from a F2P player who wanted so badly for this game to be appealing, but instead found it appalling.
Lists of games I play:
-- Star Trek Online
-- KOTOR (1 and 2)
-- SWTOR
-- Terraria
-- TF2
-- Magicka
-- Left 4 Dead 2
-- Garry's Mod

flyboy424

• Clone Air Wing
  • Commander
  • Lock S-Foils in attack position.
« Reply #769 on: November 17, 2012, 05:24:36 AM »
Really?  No chat outside origin worlds and no mail at all?  That sole reason has lost my interest in this game.  In fact, looking at the features list for SWTOR F2P they are advertising that free players get the story and nothing else!  You even earn XP slower if you're not a subscriber, which really puts me off.  At the very least they have the decency to upgrade you to "Preferred Status" where you get a load of features unlocked when you spend at least $4.99.

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

CONS:
-- You CAN'T EVEN SPRINT ANYMORE! ((That's flipping unbelievable! Your one real mode of transportation besides speeders, and THAT'S taken away from you?! I'm beginning to think of cuss words to describe my feelings...))
Erm, according to the feature list its a level 15 unlock for free players.

I too play another F2P MMORPG (Lord of the Rings Online) which I've spent hundreds of hours in and while there may be some things about that I don't like since its F2P switch (mainly having to pay to unlock side-quests for each region outside the starter areas) I still find it an enjoyable game because all the core elements to the game are available to everyone.  The only benefits to being a subscriber are that all content is unlocked (until the expansion packs), free store points each month, no money cap (which can be lifted anyway for anyone by a singe store purchase) and a few other minor details which I don't care too much about.  In fact, the only reason I can see for becoming a subscriber is to spend "Destiny Points" which essentially get you free boosts (I'd only use the XP boost, which carries over if you go back to non-subscription membership, so you only need to subscribe for one month).
Clone Pilot armour project: helmet, chest - pepped.
RC helmet: done.

Ky'ram Parjai'Kote

• Disgruntled MMORPG
  • Commander
« Reply #770 on: November 17, 2012, 08:33:14 AM »
Erm, according to the feature list its a level 15 unlock for free players.

Ah, yes, pardon me. Another thing is that you can now only have two characters on a server, and I'm sure there's some clause where you can only go on so many servers. You can still have all 10 of your other characters you once had, but you can't create any more. So heaven forbid you actually want to get a charrie to max-level and then start a new one, or something. Or play multiple classes at once. You can do the thing with different servers, but the way they let the server selection up is atrocious.

I too play another F2P MMORPG (Lord of the Rings Online) which I've spent hundreds of hours in and while there may be some things about that I don't like since its F2P switch (mainly having to pay to unlock side-quests for each region outside the starter areas) I still find it an enjoyable game because all the core elements to the game are available to everyone.  The only benefits to being a subscriber are that all content is unlocked (until the expansion packs), free store points each month, no money cap (which can be lifted anyway for anyone by a singe store purchase) and a few other minor details which I don't care too much about.  In fact, the only reason I can see for becoming a subscriber is to spend "Destiny Points" which essentially get you free boosts (I'd only use the XP boost, which carries over if you go back to non-subscription membership, so you only need to subscribe for one month).

See, this is EXACTLY what Star Trek Online is like, and it, as well as Lord of the Rings Online, are, in my opinion, the two best MMOs out there. Why? Because of the above.

To further my rant earlier, I made the mistake while checking out the update, on a level 2 character, of noting my "venomous hatred" (as they so call) for the game. The community, which I thought I was a part of, promptly cast me aside, kicked me out the door, and shouted a bunch of "******" at me. So there's the community, which, like League of Legends, is complete osik.
On the flipside, about community, Star Trek Online and LoTRO (I stopped playing a while ago because I sort of lost interest. Still think it's great though.) probably have the best communities I've ever seen, in any game ever. The max level characters will help a newbie, usually by giving him an unprecedented amount of the in-game currency, or some other REALLY darn helpful thing. Only bad thing about STO's community is that they REALLY like to discuss politics. Like, a lot. Fortunately, unlike SWTOR, you can MINIMIZE THE DARNED CHAT.

So, I suppose this is turning into a stump speech for Star Trek Online, but I'd really recommend at least giving the game a try. Yes, it is lore-reliant, but it's also able to be picked up by nearly anyone. AND you get your own ship, crew, hordes of officers, weapons, tribbles...yes. It's fun.

((P.S. Flyboy, I noticed you posted at 4:24, lol.))
Lists of games I play:
-- Star Trek Online
-- KOTOR (1 and 2)
-- SWTOR
-- Terraria
-- TF2
-- Magicka
-- Left 4 Dead 2
-- Garry's Mod

Amy

• Clone Marshall Commander
« Reply #771 on: November 21, 2012, 04:11:38 PM »
To further my rant earlier, I made the mistake while checking out the update, on a level 2 character, of noting my "venomous hatred" (as they so call) for the game. The community, which I thought I was a part of, promptly cast me aside, kicked me out the door, and shouted a bunch of "******" at me.
I would have done the same. You come to my playground and if all you can do is complain about how you hate the playground, then you can just GTFO. It's people like you that ruin the game community.

Why the shab do you even play a game you have a "venomous hatred" for anyways? That is really strong language. There are very few things in life I'd say I have a venomous hatred for... no mere games make the list, and certainly not ones I choose to play. Do you really have so much free time? If so, I envy you. Except not really.

Ky'ram Parjai'Kote

• Disgruntled MMORPG
  • Commander
« Reply #772 on: November 21, 2012, 04:31:06 PM »
I don't hate the game. When I mentioned "venomous hatred", I was talking about what someone said, verbatim, in chat. ((Read at the bottom of this post)) They called my reacting to the update "venomous hatred". Now, granted I was hating on the game, just a tad. But I do stand by what I say, as legitimate concerns of a F2P player who desperately wanted this F2P transition to be one to enjoy. As a subscriber, Amy, I know you've enjoyed the game longer than I knew about it. But I played the free trial, and I enjoyed it. Then, I wake up and spend 3 hours updating, to find the only thing similar between the trial and the update was the storyline (which I enjoy) and my characters (10 of which I deleted). But none of it a) justifies me spending $15 a month, or b) spending my time ((between working 9 to 5 on weekdays and being busy all day weekends, I don't have much of it)) in the game in F2P mode.

To be honest, what ruins the game community is people who basically say "i dont care about your concerns, and i dont want this game to have more of a playerbase than it has. And im certain the devs wont care about your concerns. lolhax!!!!!1!!111!!!" Any game community is ruined by that. STO has those people. Not very many, but they're there. I'm sure LoTRO has those people.

And I keep seeing that nearly anything in Star Wars has a LOT of those people. Sadly.

((After reading my last post, I realize I didn't make myself clear in the first sentence. I meant to say something like: "I made the mistake of noting my concerns, which the community took for "venomous hatred"." This is why I'm told to THINK before I speak, lol.))
Lists of games I play:
-- Star Trek Online
-- KOTOR (1 and 2)
-- SWTOR
-- Terraria
-- TF2
-- Magicka
-- Left 4 Dead 2
-- Garry's Mod

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #773 on: November 21, 2012, 06:09:21 PM »
I agree there are a LOT of restrictions on FTP-ers. A lot. No unify colors? For serious? And how do you find a group for a Heroic if you can't use chat???

On the other hand, I'm keeping my subscription and I have HK-51, so I can't whine.  :D

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #774 on: January 12, 2013, 01:51:57 PM »
So, I figured out that the way my new computer deals with its video RAM, since it doesn't have a dedicated card, is that it will temporarily use system RAM to compensate. So I go from having 64MB of RAM to play with, to around 1000MB.

I've played for an afternoon, and I already have a lvl. 10 Trooper with a companion about to leave the starting world. In my opinion, The Old Republic is well worth getting a subscription for.

Drake is flamboyant, and may go over the top, but if he were not that extrovert then who would move things along?

ARC_Commander_Colt

• High Jedi General
  • Commander
« Reply #775 on: January 12, 2013, 03:26:18 PM »
So, Drake, what server you on?

Drake Vhett

• The Speedy RPG
  • Commander
« Reply #776 on: January 12, 2013, 10:15:18 PM »
A PVE East Coast server whose name escapes me. The Jedi Covenant. I'm finally reaching the point where I need an additional character to get things done, as my companion and I are almost taking out groups of enemies, but the last guy or two will kill us.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:46:10 PM by Drake Vhett »

Unit 899

• Major
  • Wassup.
« Reply #777 on: February 10, 2013, 10:33:14 PM »
I've recently started playing SWTOR again, mostly on my bounty hunter but thinking of starting a republic character pretty soon in order to have it ready to start the HK-51 companion quest line.

I'm on Jedi Covenant as well, as it turns out.

Quote from: Eparavu
Then out of nowhere you are like I AM THE GODDAMN BRONY BATMAN.
Quote from: N-11
Better to post infrequently and have good things to say, then to post all the time and say a lot of useless crap.